11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Anybody know how the AGM at club rooms at Sunnyside went today ? :confused:

Baldy
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
was there anything big to be discussed?

Lmc2105
11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
was there anything big to be discussed?

as far as i know mike was being challenged for his Chairman Role within the club but he won as far as a know.

Baldy
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
as far as i know mike was being challenged for his Chairman Role within the club but he won as far as a know.

who was challenging him?

1two
11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
it was very busy.
mike was up against charlie someone
it had to go to vote 3 times as it was tied at 88 votes each.
In the end colin forget his second name who had previously not voted, voted for mike so won by 1 vote.
Followed by a mass walk out by the charlies supporters and lots of arguing.
It was like a tynecastle agm without any hats being chucked.
Quite entertaining though!

Hibercelona
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
it was very busy.
In the end colin forget his second name who had previously not voted, voted for mike so won by 1 vote.

:faf:

Lmc2105
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
it was very busy.

yup that pretty much sums up what i heard :agree:

hibbymac
11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
who was challenging him?

I wasn't there, couldn't make it, but I believe it was Charlie Murray who was supposed to be standing for the Chairmans position.

Mikey
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Who was doing the voting?

Lmc2105
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Who was doing the voting?

just the members of the Hibs Club i think

1two
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Who was doing the voting?all the members who showed up.

Mikey
11-04-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm a member and never knew a thing about it. How do they notify members?

Can I vote now? :greengrin

1two
11-04-2010, 09:31 PM
its on the notice board i think mikey.

Lmc2105
11-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah just notices about the club

but yeah mikey i think if members are aware of these things maybe all should be informed in maybe a letter

archiebald
11-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Colin who forgot what ? was Dougan voted in ?

Lmc2105
11-04-2010, 09:43 PM

got a text saying he stepped down
(but only a text wasn't there so not 100% sure)

archiebald
11-04-2010, 09:45 PM
intresting :cool2:

1two
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
what i meant was some guy called colin, the secratery i think, made the final vote. He didn't forget anything, i just forgot his surname.

No, dougan resigned as treasurer.

archiebald
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Is a guy called Colin not vice chairman to Dougan ? :confused:

Jonnyboy
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Seems odd that if you don't frequent the club you don't know about this vote

Removed
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
got a text saying he stepped down
(but only a text wasn't there so not 100% sure)

Just as treasurer or unofficial supporters spokesman as well :devil:

archiebald
11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
neither was I-JUST KNEW IT WAS ON

Lmc2105
Just as treasurer or unofficial supporters spokesman as well :devil:

I was wondering that myself mate think it could be both.
but then again not 100% certain :devil:

1two
Is a guy called Colin not vice chairman to Dougan ? :confused:
na dougan's the treasurer or was anyway, mike reilly is chairman.
Think colin is the secretary.

1two
11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Seems odd that if you don't frequent the club you don't know about this vote
it wasn't just for the vote, it was the agm but i agree, it should be advertised more.
I think an annual, or even more frequent news letter should be sent to all members, possibly by email.

hibbymac
12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
na dougan's the treasurer or was anyway, mike reilly is chairman.
Think colin is the secretary.

List of the committee Here (http://www.hibsclub.co.uk/index_files/Page671.htm) ,.... don't think it has been updated yet.

Boris
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Few points been raised on this thread - hopefully I can help out with some answers.

The HSA AGM is per the constitution scheduled for the first Sunday in April each year. That was not possible this year as Hibs were playing last Sunday. The AGM is advertised on notices in the club & on the HSA website. Branches are also supposed to send representatives to the monthly delegates meeting where they are kept informed. It is then up to each branch to cascade information to their members.

The point about e.mailing members is a fair one in this day & age & Colin Rich (now Treasurer - previously assistant Treasurer) has been working hard to capture email addresses for members & those already on the database are notified of coming events in the club (admittedly mainly on the entertainments side).

I moved back to Scotland about 8 years ago after living & working in England for many years. At those last 8 or 9 AGM's which I've attended there has never been more than 30 to 40 people tops in attendance. Sad but true. Yesterday had an attendance of 166 not including the "top table". The main reason was indeed a challenge to current Chairman Mike Riley by Charlie Murray a long standing & well-respected HSA Council member. Take too long to go into it but a number of members have been unhappy with Mike's chairmanship, rightly or wrongly.

The vote descended into a farce. Firstly, on a show of hands it was tied at 88 votes each. After a 2nd vote it was still tied at 88 despite the counts from some of the tellers differing slightly to their 1st count! And just to be clear, I'm NOT saying anything was wrong with the count - its not easy to go round counting hands. At that stage things were becoming very heated & the whole meeting was totally rudderless - it was farcical. I was worried - still am - that the HSA could or maybe has been severely damaged by the "split" & in the vacuum I asked for & was given the microphone. I suggested that one way forward was for a short break to allow Mike & Charlie to try to come to some arrangement - one or other agreeing to withdraw in the interests of unity. I'll be perfectly up front here, as I was yesterday, and say that I think the correct action would have been for Mike to withdraw as after a year in the job he did not have the support of 50% of those voting. Of course I accept that its only 166 voters (i.e. those that could be bothered to turn up) out of a membership of a little under 1700 so you could argue its not representative. It was however noticable that a fair number of Mike's votes came from new members whose applications to join have been put through Mike's branch in the last couple of months.

Arrangements were then being made to do a paper ballot but that was then abandoned for a stand up/sit down vote. That was counted as 86 to 85 votes in Mike's favour. No explanation was given as to why 5 votes had disappeared - possibly abstentions, but surely the question should have been addressed in the interests of transparency?

Anyway, Mike took his place as Chairman again but rather than try to bring the hall, indeed the HSA, together again with a few well-chosen words (and yes, a number of people who had supported Charlie's bid had walked out in disgust at the voting farce) Mike elected for sarcasm with cracks about democracy & trying to belittle Charlie. Very sad but not unexpected.

A number of other long standing & well-respected Council members stood down - Bill Alcorn as assistant secretary, Alan Wilson as vice-chairman & Frank Dougan as Treasurer. In fairness, both Bill & Alan had stated their intentions to step down for some time.

A number of positions were left unfilled - presumably to be filled at a later date once Mike finds suitable candidates.

Hope this all helps.

Just to play things straight I am not hiding behind any board name so although a number of netters will probably know who "Boris" refers to anyway, my name is Jim Gardiner. Until yesterday I was membership registrar for the HSA. I have also in the past few years held posts in various Hibs "organisations" including secretary of the Stanton Branch, Treasurer of the Hibernian FC Historical Trust & committee member of the ERIN Supporters Trust. I'd like to think I have made a contribution to each & that those who know me & hopefully now some who don't will know I have no personal axe to grind. My resignation yesterday was in the main down to pressure of work in my day job with the membership registrar's post needing a lot of time in the first 3 months of the year that was becoming an increasing burden. Having said that when the HSA loses men of the dedication & integrity of Bill, Alan & Frank & then seeks to treat a respected & well-liked man like Charlie the way it has in the last few weeks then maybe I'm better off out of it. I will of course continue to keep a very close eye on developments.......:wink:

Mikey
12-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Branches are also supposed to send representatives to the monthly delegates meeting where they are kept informed. It is then up to each branch to cascade information to their members.

Never knew that! Don't think we've ever been asked.

Just to play things straight I am not hiding behind any board name so although a number of netters will probably know who "Boris" refers to anyway, my name is Jim Gardiner. Until yesterday I was membership registrar for the HSA. I have also in the past few years held posts in various Hibs "organisations" including secretary of the Stanton Branch, Treasurer of the Hibernian FC Historical Trust & committee member of the ERIN Supporters Trust. I'd like to think I have made a contribution to each & that those who know me & hopefully now some who don't will know I have no personal axe to grind. My resignation yesterday was in the main down to pressure of work in my day job with the membership registrar's post needing a lot of time in the first 3 months of the year that was becoming an increasing burden. Having said that when the HSA loses men of the dedication & integrity of Bill, Alan & Frank & then seeks to treat a respected & well-liked man like Charlie the way it has in the last few weeks then maybe I'm better off out of it. I will of course continue to keep a very close eye on developments.......:wink:

Sorry to hear about you packing it in Jim.

carlos70
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Think the landlords of a few pubs further down ER could be rubbing their hands at this piece of news :wink:

Lmc2105
12-04-2010, 11:50 AM

Same mikey never been asked either

H18sry
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Think the landlords of a few pubs further down ER could be rubbing their hands at this piece of news :wink:

:bitchy::bitchy: the 4 is busy enough on match days :devil:

Boris
12-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Same mikey never been asked either

New branches should be made aware by the General Secretary of how the Asssociation works - obviously that wasn't done in the case of your 2 branches, I am not in a position to say why as my duties just cvered processing applications for individual members after proposal by their branch. For future information the Branch Delegates Meeting is held in the clubrooms at Sunnyside at 7.30pm on the first Monday of each month. Each affiiliated branch is entitled to send one representative to the meeting.

The Delegates meeting has always been there to try to guard against one branch becoming too powerful which would not be in the interests of the wider membership.................doesn't always work that way of course:grr:

1two
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Few points been raised on this thread - hopefully I can help out with some answers.

The HSA AGM is per the constitution scheduled for the first Sunday in April each year. That was not possible this year as Hibs were playing last Sunday. The AGM is advertised on notices in the club & on the HSA website. Branches are also supposed to send representatives to the monthly delegates meeting where they are kept informed. It is then up to each branch to cascade information to their members.

The point about e.mailing members is a fair one in this day & age & Colin Rich (now Treasurer - previously assistant Treasurer) has been working hard to capture email addresses for members & those already on the database are notified of coming events in the club (admittedly mainly on the entertainments side).

I moved back to Scotland about 8 years ago after living & working in England for many years. At those last 8 or 9 AGM's which I've attended there has never been more than 30 to 40 people tops in attendance. Sad but true. Yesterday had an attendance of 166 not including the "top table". The main reason was indeed a challenge to current Chairman Mike Riley by Charlie Murray a long standing & well-respected HSA Council member. Take too long to go into it but a number of members have been unhappy with Mike's chairmanship, rightly or wrongly.

The vote descended into a farce. Firstly, on a show of hands it was tied at 88 votes each. After a 2nd vote it was still tied at 88 despite the counts from some of the tellers differing slightly to their 1st count! And just to be clear, I'm NOT saying anything was wrong with the count - its not easy to go round counting hands. At that stage things were becoming very heated & the whole meeting was totally rudderless - it was farcical. I was worried - still am - that the HSA could or maybe has been severely damaged by the "split" & in the vacuum I asked for & was given the microphone. I suggested that one way forward was for a short break to allow Mike & Charlie to try to come to some arrangement - one or other agreeing to withdraw in the interests of unity. I'll be perfectly up front here, as I was yesterday, and say that I think the correct action would have been for Mike to withdraw as after a year in the job he did not have the support of 50% of those voting. Of course I accept that its only 166 voters (i.e. those that could be bothered to turn up) out of a membership of a little under 1700 so you could argue its not representative. It was however noticable that a fair number of Mike's votes came from new members whose applications to join have been put through Mike's branch in the last couple of months.

Arrangements were then being made to do a paper ballot but that was then abandoned for a stand up/sit down vote. That was counted as 86 to 85 votes in Mike's favour. No explanation was given as to why 5 votes had disappeared - possibly abstentions, but surely the question should have been addressed in the interests of transparency?

Anyway, Mike took his place as Chairman again but rather than try to bring the hall, indeed the HSA, together again with a few well-chosen words (and yes, a number of people who had supported Charlie's bid had walked out in disgust at the voting farce) Mike elected for sarcasm with cracks about democracy & trying to belittle Charlie. Very sad but not unexpected.

A number of other long standing & well-respected Council members stood down - Bill Alcorn as assistant secretary, Alan Wilson as vice-chairman & Frank Dougan as Treasurer. In fairness, both Bill & Alan had stated their intentions to step down for some time.

A number of positions were left unfilled - presumably to be filled at a later date once Mike finds suitable candidates.

Hope this all helps.

Boris, although I was at the AGM yesterday, I know very little about the runnings of the club and was informed by a friend that it was taking place. We intended to go then watch the football after. (unfortunately we missed the first half as the AGM went on for so long.) I've never been to anything like this before but have to say, it was a complete and utter shambles. A bit of an embarrasment for all involved.

I found it strange that someone like me (who knows very little about either candidate, and im sure im not the only one) was not given an explanation of why the candidates were standing. a few words could have been said by both before the vote. And it was the man Charlie who refused to get up.

What was the reasons behind a new candidate standing, when it was pretty obvious Mike was keen to keep his seat? What were the other members not happy about?

It was a pretty strange meeting.

edit - meant to say, good fair post and pretty much sums up what happened

Stantons Angel
12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you Boris for the detailed account of the AGM.

I missed this meeting due to a recent operation which has left me in a lot of pain and unable to walk unaided. I had intended to be present at this meeting for the sake of my own peace of mind.

Im writing this as i just cant believe the behaviour of the adults attending the meeting. Why was it allowed to cascade into the farce it ended up in? Its an utter embarrassment to all the members knowing that the election of a committee cannot be kept in control.

This committe is elected to serve the membership. not just a branch, the whole association. with this in mind each and everyone of the members is allowed to stand if they feel they have the strenghth of character to bring some kind of order to meetings and attend to duties on behalf of the membership.

Again this is my personal view and it makes me sad that this has happened with the resignation of so many weel kent faces too. It will need a lot of repair work done to bring together the membership and stop them going elsewhere.

For all our sakes get this sorted out!!!!!

Boris
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I found it strange that someone like me (who knows very little about either candidate, and im sure im not the only one) was not given an explanation of why the candidates were standing. a few words could have been said by both before the vote. And it was the man Charlie who refused to get up.

What was the reasons behind a new candidate standing, when it was pretty obvious Mike was keen to keep his seat? What were the other members not happy about?

Very fair point regarding something being said by both candidates but my understanding was that it was going straight to a vote. When the Secretary suddenly announced that he thought it appropriate to ask Charlie to explain why he was standing there was no mention of asking Mike to do the same. To me it came across as an ambush - turning the spotlight on Charlie without giving him a chance to prepare. Just my opinion - fully accept others might see it differently. Maybe a mistake on Charlie's point tactics wise but there you go. Charlie's not a political animal, just a man that's served the Association well over many many years & didn't like the way things were going. In truth - and again its just my opinion, I don't think Charlie really wanted to stand but felt strongly enough that he decided he had to.

As for why Mike was so desparate to keep his position, well, you'd have to ask him. Maybe its just politics, maybe its a power thing, maybe he genuinely feels he's doing the best thing for the Association and maybe that will in time prove to indeed be the case.

I've just had enough of it all & the ill-feelling that threatened to spill over on Sunday & that was why I tried to calm things down. Unfortunately I failed. I have people I consider as freinds on both sides of a "divide" which should not exist & the opportunity was missed to try & repair matters in the immediate aftermath of the vote. I suspect the whole thing will continue to cause ill-feeling & I find that very sad.

Andy74
12-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Committees and all that political stuff for supporting a football team, never have got that.

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Trouble with committees is that they're erm run by committees :greengrin

Betty Boop
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Very fair point regarding something being said by both candidates but my understanding was that it was going straight to a vote. When the Secretary suddenly announced that he thought it appropriate to ask Charlie to explain why he was standing there was no mention of asking Mike to do the same. To me it came across as an ambush - turning the spotlight on Charlie without giving him a chance to prepare. Just my opinion - fully accept others might see it differently. Maybe a mistake on Charlie's point tactics wise but there you go. Charlie's not a political animal, just a man that's served the Association well over many many years & didn't like the way things were going. In truth - and again its just my opinion, I don't think Charlie really wanted to stand but felt strongly enough that he decided he had to.

As for why Mike was so desparate to keep his position, well, you'd have to ask him. Maybe its just politics, maybe its a power thing, maybe he genuinely feels he's doing the best thing for the Association and maybe that will in time prove to indeed be the case.

I've just had enough of it all & the ill-feelling that threatened to spill over on Sunday & that was why I tried to calm things down. Unfortunately I failed. I have people I consider as freinds on both sides of a "divide" which should not exist & the opportunity was missed to try & repair matters in the immediate aftermath of the vote. I suspect the whole thing will continue to cause ill-feeling & I find that very sad.

Ain't that the truth! Charlie Murray is an absolute gentleman.

hibeeboy
12-04-2010, 07:20 PM
can the standing committee be contested and an egm called asking for a vote of ALL members?

Boris
12-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Committees and all that political stuff for supporting a football team, never have got that.

Aye, well if there hadn't been a politically tuned committee & a Hibs club in the dark days of Mercer then there might not be a football club for us all to support today. A lot of good people were involved - the likes of kenny McLean sen - and the HQ for the Hands Off Hibs campaign was the Hibs Club. Under the chairmanship of Ronnie Ferguson the club had turned itself round from being in debt to having around £25k in the bank. One of the moves that started off the whole campaign was the Ferguson led committee making all those funds available to the campaign & to buy shares.

Some saw it as a rash move but Ronnie's mantra was simple - if there's no Hibs theres no point in having a Hibs club. The rest is history.

A well led, motivated committee can get things done - sometimes!

Boris
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
can the standing committee be contested and an egm called asking for a vote of ALL members?

The basic answer is yes if enough members & branches call for it. Would still come down to only those getting off their backsides & turning up at the egm being able to vote.

I suspect it may well come to that at some stage but now is not the time to go down that road. Yesterday was a shambolic embarassment but now the dust needs to settle & see how things pan out.

Jamesie
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
I find it strange that the voting system seems, from what I have read, to have been a case of "make it up as we go along". Surely the Standing Orders set out how the vote should be held and what process should be followed in the event of a tie?

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I find it strange that the voting system seems, from what I have read, to have been a case of "make it up as we go along". Surely the Standing Orders set out how the vote should be held and what process should be followed in the event of a tie?

:agree: Yip, from how its described, it hardly seems to have been done properly. At best its very amateurish.

Boris
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM

My thoughts exactly. Total lack of leadership in wake of 2nd drawn vote & the chaos that resulted.

archiebald
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
It will all blow over and everybody will happy.

monktonharp
12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I find it strange that the voting system seems, from what I have read, to have been a case of "make it up as we go along". Surely the Standing Orders set out how the vote should be held and what process should be followed in the event of a tie?in the event of a tie,the chairman usually has the casting vote,naw?:wink:

monktonharp
12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
sorry to hear that big Jim Gardiner has left his post.only dealt with you,Jim regarding membership renewals/new members for our branch,and found you very helpful and corteous,so thanks for that. I did know about delegates rights of representation,but our branch ( fairly new) have found it hard to get someone along to delegates meetings. on the point of the AGM,never new it was happening,and on the information side of things,I must point out that the club has "letter boxes" for branches,the names are on the boxes ,.....but it is only the names of the older established branches that have the said boxes. maybe this is an issue needing addressed at a delegates meeting:hide::embarrass but it needs attended to,and overhauled with proper boxes,possibly locked with keys supplied to branch reps etc.only a small point,but information should be shared as much as possible.

Lmc2105
12-04-2010, 10:37 PM
sorry to hear that big Jim Gardiner has left his post.only dealt with you,Jim regarding membership renewals/new members for our branch,and found you very helpful and corteous,so thanks for that. I did know about delegates rights of representation,but our branch ( fairly new) have found it hard to get someone along to delegates meetings. on the point of the AGM,never new it was happening,and on the information side of things,I must point out that the club has "letter boxes" for branches,the names are on the boxes ,.....but it is only the names of the older established branches that have the said boxes. maybe this is an issue needing addressed at a delegates meeting:hide::embarrass but it needs attended to,and overhauled with proper boxes,possibly locked with keys supplied to branch reps etc.only a small point,but information should be shared as much as possible.

yup agreed Wullie and a will be putting that to Mike when i next see him at the club and find out when the next meeting is and also how we can be informed of this :agree:

Hibby D
12-04-2010, 10:46 PM

:agree: Posters advertising the AGM does seem an archaic way to go about things; especially in this day and age! It sounds to me as if the whole sheboogle could do with an overhaul and it's disappointing to see that an opportunity has been missed to get some new faces, possibly with fresh ideas, in the door.

Some people are very scared of change!

Sad to hear that so many dedicated folk have felt the need to walk though.

monktonharp
12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
:agree: Posters advertising the AGM does seem an archaic way to go about things; especially in this day and age! It sounds to me as if the whole sheboogle could do with an overhaul and it's disappointing to see that an opportunity has been missed to get some new faces, possibly with fresh ideas, in the door.

Sad to hear that so many dedicated folk have felt the need to walk though.:agree: well said Diane

Lmc2105
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Hopefully at the next meeting there will be Representives from each branch and also from Hibs.net as you are also affiliated with the club:thumbsup: and we can ask questions at this and find out exactly what is going to be happening in the near future seems a lot of uncertainty might be good to get a few things clear

Jamesie
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
in the event of a tie,the chairman usually has the casting vote,naw?:wink:

Even so, that should be in the standing orders and its how they got to that stage I'm wondering! The most serious challenge would be by way of judicial review to the Court of Session, hardly likely though!

PS. Congratulations on becoming a granddad soonish!

monktonharp
12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
PS. Congratulations on becoming a granddad soonish![/QUOTE] already am one mate,my 9 yr old welsh one may decide to play for his grandad's nation one day, a bit like that wee 'tic gadge:duck: but yeah,thanks. looking forward to the bairn havin a bairn:thumbsup:

Boris
13-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Good points. I think historically the boxes (and a space on the notice board) were for "town" branches as oppossed to "out of town" branches on the basis that their members were more likely to visit the club on a more regular basis rather than say just matchdays. Branch secretaries do have their own key for their mailbox. The delegates meeting (or a letter to the general secretary?) is probably the way forward on this & I'm sure it can be sorted. The Association IS the branches so use your voice!

Thanks for your comments on a personal level - appreciated.

Boris
13-04-2010, 09:17 AM
in the event of a tie,the chairman usually has the casting vote,naw?:wink:

Excellent point. But who was chairing the meeting at the time of the vote? I was there & I've not got a scooby doo!!! Procedure was that all the old committee had stood down for elections to take place. Sure its there in the constitution somewhere - quite clear on the day that none of the top table had a clue how to procede on the day when it was a drawn vote.

franks
13-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Just a point for clarification. Delegates meeting is held on the first Thursday of the month as far as I know not the first Monday (correct me if I'm wrong). Each branch is asked to send 2 delegates to represent its branch. These meetings are not well attended with few branches sending delegates.

Worth checking with the HSA before you attend that the meeting is going ahead as occasionally its cancelled.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Some things never change at the HSC :bitchy:

I remember vividly a lot of younger members trying to oust Ronnie Ferguson as chairman in the early 80s and a particular very noisy AGM one Sunday descended into sheer farce as the then committee tried to shout down people protesting about the hardline tactics they had in place regarding discipline in the clubrooms especially members of St Giles branch in particular, in the end Ferguson was voted in again amid laughable scenes of fixing by the council members, nae wonder I never went back!

:bitchy:

JimBHibees
13-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Know next to nothing about committees and how things should be properly voted however I would have thought any important vote should be done by proper ballot and not the showing of hands which can be manipulated if a close vote.

Steve-O
13-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Load of gash. Don't even know why so many people are needed to run the place?

All they have to do is hire a band once or twice a week, book in a couple of functions, open a box with a key, and play a game of bingo!

Charlie's votes that went against him were likely from people who can never get a shot on the pool table if he is in the club at the time...

Joe Baker II
13-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Some things never change at the HSC :bitchy:

I remember vividly a lot of younger members trying to oust Ronnie Ferguson as chairman in the early 80s and a particular very noisy AGM one Sunday descended into sheer farce as the then committee tried to shout down people protesting about the hardline tactics they had in place regarding discipline in the clubrooms especially members of St Giles branch in particular, in the end Ferguson was voted in again amid laughable scenes of fixing by the council members, nae wonder I never went back!

:bitchy:

I am not trying to knock people who put time into running club that provides service for many home (and away) supporters and many other people throughout the year and know from experience that running any facility with a bar is a lot of work. But I do agree have always found Hibs Club a bit obsessed with petty discipline and rules compared to other clubs I have been in and do not go that often out of choice.

Also it seems rather difficult to become a member though I have thought about it, understand you have to join one of the branches - however many Hibs fans are not members of branches and not fussed about joining one and cannot help thinking they are losing out on members as a result. I could be wrong (plus it may be that is condition of licence though I would be surprised if that is case, or another legitiamte reason for this).

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I am not trying to knock people who put time into running club that provides service for many home (and away) supporters and many other people throughout the year and know from experience that running any facility with a bar is a lot of work. But I do agree have always found Hibs Club a bit obsessed with petty discipline and rules compared to other clubs I have been in and do not go that often out of choice.

Also it seems rather difficult to become a member though I have thought about it, understand you have to join one of the branches - however many Hibs fans are not members of branches and not fussed about joining one and cannot help thinking they are losing out on members as a result. I could be wrong (plus it may be that is condition of licence though I would be surprised if that is case, or another legitiamte reason for this).

I think you have to (well back then you did) join a branch at a branch meeting and (you did) have to be nominated but of this you can be sure, I saw some right liberties taken by (a lot) older committee members on younger branch members especially late on a Saturday night when we had been playing away, god knows why they were like this, it was almost that they didn't want any young guys there and just wanted to quell all the rumours (and believe me there were loads!) that were going around at that time.

invisible man
13-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Load of gash. Don't even know why so many people are needed to run the place?

All they have to do is hire a band once or twice a week, book in a couple of functions, open a box with a key, and play a game of bingo!

Charlie's votes that went against him were likely from people who can never get a shot on the pool table if he is in the club at the time...

You're at the wind up eh?!

A business with almost £500k turnover. We have to deal with Licensing, Health & Safety, Building Control, Fire Regulations, 1700 members, wages, paye, vat, balancing cash, banking cash, paying bills, reading meters, accountants, lawyers, negotiations with suppliers, repairs, upgrades, drunks trying to get in, drunks getting thrown out, broken cards, lost cards, new cards, moanin gits etc etc etc.

But worst of all, we have to deal with Lazy Staff (although he's no longer there) :wink:

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2010, 10:45 AM

A business with almost £500k turnover. We have to deal with Licensing, Health & Safety, Building Control, Fire Regulations, 1700 members, wages, paye, vat, balancing cash, banking cash, paying bills, reading meters, accountants, lawyers, negotiations with suppliers, repairs, upgrades, drunks trying to get in, drunks getting thrown out, broken cards, lost cards, new cards, moanin gits etc etc etc.

But worst of all, we have to deal with Lazy Staff (although he's no longer there) :wink:

Do the people in charge of all this get paid, or is it done for nothing?

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2010, 10:46 AM

I think you have to (well back then you did) join a branch at a branch meeting and (you did) have to be nominated but of this you can be sure, I saw some right liberties taken by (a lot) older committee members on younger branch members especially late on a Saturday night when we had been playing away, god knows why they were like this, it was almost that they didn't want any young guys there and just wanted to quell all the rumours (and believe me there were loads!) that were going around at that time.

Hibs.net has been an official branch for a couple of years now - if anyone is interested just send me a PM.

Andy74
13-04-2010, 10:47 AM

So you hire a manager. Committees are an ego trip and that's about it.

Baldy
13-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Hibs.net has been an official branch for a couple of years now - if anyone is interested just send me a PM.

it depends if your branch is run by a power hungry chairman/secretary and bus convenor .. and its not hibs.net branch but your branch and only you decide who can or can not be in it:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2010, 10:55 AM
it depends if your branch is run by a power hungry chairman/secretary and bus convenor .. and its not hibs.net branch but your branch and only you decide who can or can not be in it:greengrin

Your joking right - we don't even have any blazers :devil:

Peevemor
13-04-2010, 10:58 AM
So you hire a manager. Committees are an ego trip and that's about it.

But someone has to tell the manager how they want the place to be run. A manager has to be responsible to someone - ie. a committee.

carlos70
13-04-2010, 11:04 AM

:dummytit:......Only joking R!!!!:wink:

invisible man
13-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Do the people in charge of all this get paid, or is it done for nothing?

Treasurer £15 per week, Secretary £10 per week, Council members £6 per week.

invisible man
13-04-2010, 11:20 AM
But someone has to tell the manager how they want the place to be run. A manager has to be responsible to someone - ie. a committee.

Agreed, the bar manager has enough to do dealing with around 20 staff and running 4 bars which can hold up to 500 people at 1 time. In addition you require committe members to stand at the door making sure visitors sign the books, are not too drunk to get in etc, and they do this 1 night out of three every weekend. Without these guys, by law, we would not be allowed to open.

archiebald
13-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Agreed, the bar manager has enough to do dealing with around 20 staff and running 4 bars which can hold up to 500 people at 1 time. In addition you require committe members to stand at the door making sure visitors sign the books, are not too drunk to get in etc, and they do this 1 night out of three every weekend. Without these guys, by law, we would not be allowed to open.
you seem to know an awful lot about the running of club

invisible man
13-04-2010, 11:37 AM
you seem to know an awful lot about the running of club

I'm one of the committee who's only doing the work as an ego trip

Boris
13-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm going to sign off my contributions to this thread now as I think I've said my piece & responded where I felt a response was needed. My sole motivation in contributing to the thread was to try to put across what I hope was a balanced summary of what had gone at a farcical AGM that quite frankly disgusted me. I've had my run-ins with committee members at the Club over the years but I think there's a place for a Supporters' Association & I happen to think the Hibs Club is a fantastic facility.

My uncle Sammy (Whitelaw) - he's my great uncle actually, 90 years old this Boxing Day & still going strong & in the Store Club in Musselburgh 6 days a week at 11am for a couple of nips! - was on the first Association Council back in 1948 after the lads that ran a bus to Hibs away games from Musselburgh responded to an advert in the Evening News to attend a meeting in the Liberal club Rooms in Leith with a view to setting up a Hibs Supporters' Association. The Association is still here after over 60 years & thats something to be proud of. The Club at Sunnyside is also something to be proud of & I worry that both could now suffer because of the fallout from what happened on Sunday & in the lead up to it behind the scenes.

If you take the Club itself simply as a going concern, these are hard times for the licensed trade - pubs & clubs alike. The Club has done tremendously well to keep its head above water but the published accounts for the last year show a surplus of just over £10k. That breaks down at less than £200 per week - not the biggest of margins to work on. If it wasn't for hiring out for private functions the Club would be really struggling in these hard times. It can ill-afford any more loss of business & the chance was missed to mend fences in the immediate aftermath of Sunday's vote & the air of triumphalism & petty vindictiveness which was apparent.

These things happen. Life goes on, the Hibs go on.

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm going to sign off my contributions to this thread now as I think I've said my piece & responded where I felt a response was needed. My sole motivation in contributing to the thread was to try to put across what I hope was a balanced summary of what had gone at a farcical AGM that quite frankly disgusted me. I've had my run-ins with committee members at the Club over the years but I think there's a place for a Supporters' Association & I happen to think the Hibs Club is a fantastic facility.

My uncle Sammy (Whitelaw) - he's my great uncle actually, 90 years old this Boxing Day & still going strong & in the Store Club in Musselburgh 6 days a week at 11am for a couple of nips! - was on the first Association Council back in 1948 after the lads that ran a bus to Hibs away games from Musselburgh responded to an advert in the Evening News to attend a meeting in the Liberal club Rooms in Leith with a view to setting up a Hibs Supporters' Association. The Association is still here after over 60 years & thats something to be proud of. The Club at Sunnyside is also something to be proud of & I worry that both could now suffer because of the fallout from what happened on Sunday & in the lead up to it behind the scenes.

If you take the Club itself simply as a going concern, these are hard times for the licensed trade - pubs & clubs alike. The Club has done tremendously well to keep its head above water but the published accounts for the last year show a surplus of just over £10k. That breaks down at less than £200 per week - not the biggest of margins to work on. If it wasn't for hiring out for private functions the Club would be really struggling in these hard times. It can ill-afford any more loss of business & the chance was missed to mend fences in the immediate aftermath of Sunday's vote & the air of triumphalism & petty vindictiveness which was apparent.

These things happen. Life goes on, the Hibs go on.

Thanks Jim for taking the time and letting us all know whats been going on.

Baldy
13-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Your joking right - we don't even have any blazers :devil:

I am not interested then:faf:

lapsedhibee
13-04-2010, 12:59 PM
My uncle Sammy (Whitelaw) - he's my great uncle actually, 90 years old this Boxing Day & still going strong & in the Store Club in Musselburgh 6 days a week at 11am for a couple of nips! - was on the first Association Council back in 1948 after the lads that ran a bus to Hibs away games from Musselburgh responded to an advert in the Evening News to attend a meeting in the Liberal club Rooms in Leith with a view to setting up a Hibs Supporters' Association. The Association is still here after over 60 years & thats something to be proud of.

Association is :6::2: this year then. :greengrin
Thanks for the info.

Toaods
13-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Excellent point. But who was chairing the meeting at the time of the vote? I was there & I've not got a scooby doo!!! Procedure was that all the old committee had stood down for elections to take place. Sure its there in the constitution somewhere - quite clear on the day that none of the top table had a clue how to procede on the day when it was a drawn vote.

In my former capacity as a commitee member....different sport, far more bitchyness...:greengrin

Chairman should always have the deciding vote in the event of a tied vote, however if he was the subject of the vote he should have been replaced in the chair for that proposal due to a conflict of interest...:confused:

Can I ask, I heard a rumour that the club may well fold due to various problems ie lack of custom, Hibs themselves pushing club memberships, etc. is that rubbish or were there some rumblings as ot a sell -out?

invisible man
13-04-2010, 01:49 PM
In my former capacity as a commitee member....different sport, far more bitchyness...:greengrin

Chairman should always have the deciding vote in the event of a tied vote, however if he was the subject of the vote he should have been replaced in the chair for that proposal due to a conflict of interest...:confused:

Can I ask, I heard a rumour that the club may well fold due to various problems ie lack of custom, Hibs themselves pushing club memberships, etc. is that rubbish or were there some rumblings as ot a sell -out?

There is absolutely no chance of the club folding. As stated previously we have a turnover of almost £500k, our sales are up £15k for the first two months of this year compared to last year, and we have almost 1700 members. Yes there is a lack of custom during the week but we are no different to any other pub or club in that respect. We are obviously busy on match days and we have two function halls which are extremely popular.

As for the point about the chairman, who would replace him for the purpose of the vote?

Boris
13-04-2010, 02:00 PM

I wasn't going to add any more posts on this thread but as its not about the AGM itself (which I think has been fully covered) I will. No suggestion of that at all. I briefly touched on the financial position in an earlier post & if anything, when you consider the amount of pubs & clubs that have closed in the last year or so, the Hibs Club has bucked the trend. The margins are very tight though, hence my concern at anything that could lead to a drop in business.

Not aware of Hibs themselves having any membership scheme that would threaten the Supporters Association & the Association enjoys a first class relationship with the Football Club. That was clearly demonstrated a couple of weeks back when once again there was a superb turn out from Easter Road - players, coaching staff & directors - at the annual player of the year event at Sunnyside. Its a two way thing with the Association offering any financial help it can to the Football Club which in the last year has been towards the Youth set up.

I do vaguely remember a few years back - possibly when new East Stand was first planned - that there was some suggestion that Sunnyside be sold & the premises moved to the stadium but I don't think it was anything more than an idea being floated for consideration. As I recall it never went any further with the Association keen to maintain its independence.

Toaods
13-04-2010, 02:02 PM
As for the point about the chairman, who would replace him for the purpose of the vote?

someone on the commitee who was without an official conflict of interest.?

I'm only giving an overview, as I don't know the background to the names and their respective responsbilities or allegiances.

I'm glad to hear the club isn't on the way out, as I say it was mentioned to me and semmed to make sense with people having access to things like Behind the Goals for a beer and HIBS TV for all the goss.

Political infighting within social clubs accross the spectrum is nothing unusual and quite Frank(no pun intended)ly a major turn off for many.

Joe Baker II
13-04-2010, 02:03 PM
In addition you require committe members to stand at the door making sure visitors sign the books, are not too drunk to get in etc, and they do this 1 night out of three every weekend. Without these guys, by law, we would not be allowed to open.

Is this right as my experience of clubs elsewhere is different?

I thought you had to have a sign-in book but it does not neccesarily by law have to be signed at the door so long as it is signed somewhere on the premises, ie someone could go round inside getting people to sign it though I realise this could be difficult and there are often ratios of how many people a committee member can sign in.

Signing in procedure always seems very officious compared to other social clubs I have been in and that is general atmosphere that generally comes across in Hibs Club.

Joe Baker II
13-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Cheers, actually think someone trying to get me signed up at moment but if any problem will PM you.

invisible man
13-04-2010, 02:12 PM
someone on the commitee who was without an official conflict of interest.?

Appreciate what you're saying but how would you pick that person as each side probably knew which committe member would vote for who.

invisible man
13-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Is this right as my experience of clubs elsewhere is different?

I thought you had to have a sign-in book but it does not neccesarily by law have to be signed at the door so long as it is signed somewhere on the premises, ie someone could go round inside getting people to sign it though I realise this could be difficult and there are often ratios of how many people a committee member can sign in.

Signing in procedure always seems very officious compared to other social clubs I have been in and that is general atmosphere that generally comes across in Hibs Club.

We have been praised by the police for the way we carry out this procedure.
I might be wrong, it may not be law to have people actually sign the book at the door, however, having committee on the door does serve other purposes and one important one is to stop any undesirables entering the club, it's much easier to stop them coming in than to have to ask them to leave.

Boris
13-04-2010, 02:27 PM

With the benefit of hindsight & input from a former chairman what should have happened was that the Chairman stood down for the vote for his post, handing the Chair to the Vice-Chairman for that vote only. The Vice-Chairman could not vote in the main vote with the members - he would only be called on to use a casting vote if the main vote was a draw. Whether thats in the constitution & was ignored on Sunday or whether its just been past protocol & ignored on Sunday I don't know but we both know whether it was deliberate or just inefficient it was an embarassing shambles.

I was up-front on my first posting on this thread by saying who I was - care to do the same?

Toaods
13-04-2010, 02:34 PM
With the benefit of hindsight & input from a former chairman what should have happened was that the Chairman stood down for the vote for his post, handing the Chair to the Vice-Chairman for that vote only. The Vice-Chairman could not vote in the main vote with the members - he would only be called on to use a casting vote if the main vote was a draw. Whether thats in the constitution & was ignored on Sunday or whether its just been past protocol & ignored on Sunday I don't know but we both know whether it was deliberate or just inefficient it was an embarassing shambles.

..that would also be my understanding of how events should have unfolded.

It's a surprise nobody at the AGM seemed to be aware of this procedure or were they perhaps drowned out amidst all the hullabaloo.

Although again, from an outsider and neutral point of view a sudden upsurge in membership of one branch does sound like a conserted campaign has been led to oust a faction of the committee.

1two
13-04-2010, 02:55 PM
..that would also be my understanding of how events should have unfolded.

It's a surprise nobody at the AGM seemed to be aware of this procedure or were they perhaps drowned out amidst all the hullabaloo.

Although again, from an outsider and neutral point of view a sudden upsurge in membership of one branch does sound like a conserted campaign has been led to oust a faction of the committee.
as per my previous post, i am a member but i have no knowledge of how the club is run, and although i knew most faces at the top table, i don't know what their individual jobs are.
Anyway, my take on sunday was the big turn out was a failed attempt to rid the current chairman, rather than anything else.

Might be completely wrong though.

invisible man
13-04-2010, 03:02 PM

I was up-front on my first posting on this thread by saying who I was - care to do the same?

Colin Rich, not hiding anything Jimmy and like you say hindsight is a wonderful thing. What you have said above makes perfect sense, whether it's in the constitution or not I don't know either. I've been attending AGM's now for the last 15 years or so and have never seen anything like it, and to be fair to the committee they probably haven't either so were totally unprepared for what to do in the event of a tie. I can't see it being deliberate however as the three most experienced committee members all voted for Charlie.

archiebald
13-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Not hiding anything hindsight a wonderful thing-you have got me going again :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Mikey
13-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Sad to hear that so many dedicated folk have felt the need to walk though.

I'll vote for ya :love ya!:

invisible man
13-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Not hiding anything hindsight a wonderful thing-you have got me going again :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

:yawn:

archiebald
13-04-2010, 03:16 PM
:dummytit:

Mikey
13-04-2010, 03:16 PM

hibs.net is an affiliated branch. If anyone wants to join the hibs.net branch just drop me a PM to get things moving.

Mikey
13-04-2010, 03:17 PM

Beat me to it :greengrin

Baldy
13-04-2010, 03:25 PM

aye by about four and a half hours

Boris
13-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Thought it was you Colin - the age gave it away! Agree with you 100% - all looked like startled rabbits in the headlights & I've tried to put a balanced view in my posts while being totally up front on the way I voted.

I can't recall which way AW voted but you're probably right, he voted for Charlie but then that means if he'd been correctly awarded the casting vote..........:wink: Then again, if he originally voted in the main 88 all vote then we're maybe back to square one anyway:grr:

I wasn't happy in the lead up to the AGM with what was going on behind the scenes on one person's part to get votes & I was absolutely disgusted with the failure to try to mend fences after it. I suspect there may have been other rules broken on Sunday too relating to voting rights of new & out of town members but to be frank (I'm NO Frank.....:greengrin) the whole thing has sickened me to the core.

I'll miss the Club but I'll keep up my membership of the branch & keep an interested eye & ear open from a distance:wink:

invisible man
13-04-2010, 03:27 PM

What's your problem?

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2010, 03:36 PM
hibs.net is an affiliated branch. If anyone wants to join the hibs.net branch just drop me a PM to get things moving.

aye by about four and a half hours

Try reading the whole thread :tee hee:

archiebald
13-04-2010, 03:37 PM
ooh who's touchy :dummytit:

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2010, 03:38 PM

What's your problem?

Don't know what his problem is but its boring the tits off me as well.

If you've nothing constructive to add just give it a rest eh.

1two
13-04-2010, 03:39 PM

who's being a bit of a richard head?

invisible man
13-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Thought it was you Colin - the age gave it away! Agree with you 100% - all looked like startled rabbits in the headlights & I've tried to put a balanced view in my posts while being totally up front on the way I voted.

I can't recall which way AW voted but you're probably right, he voted for Charlie but then that means if he'd been correctly awarded the casting vote..........:wink: Then again, if he originally voted in the main 88 all vote then we're maybe back to square one anyway:grr:

I wasn't happy in the lead up to the AGM with what was going on behind the scenes on one person's part to get votes & I was absolutely disgusted with the failure to try to mend fences after it. I suspect there may have been other rules broken on Sunday too relating to voting rights of new & out of town members but to be frank (I'm NO Frank.....:greengrin) the whole thing has sickened me to the core.

I'll miss the Club but I'll keep up my membership of the branch & keep an interested eye & ear open from a distance:wink:

No, you're his son are you no?:greengrin

Don't go awol Jimmy, the club wouldn't be the same without you and the girls.

Boris
13-04-2010, 03:49 PM
No, you're his son are you no?:greengrin

Don't go awol Jimmy, the club wouldn't be the same without you and the girls.

The "borisettes" will do their own thing Colin - always have, always will & thats the way it should be & I wouldn't want it any other way. Anyway, they're members of Southern Branch!
But me + drink + me angry head isn't a good combination so maybe best if I lay low for a bit & avoid saying or doing anything that would get me scotland yard from the club:rules:.

Mikey

No need. Pack it in.

archiebald
Right am no comin back you are all bullies and as for that guy with the funny eyes :bye:

1two
13-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Right am no comin back you are all bullies and as for that guy with the funny eyes :bye:
cheerio!

Baldy Foghorn
13-04-2010, 04:44 PM

You will be missed around the Club Boris, don't stay away too long......

HibbyAndy
13-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Gees ma baw back am gawn hame.

Last Minute
13-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I might be wrong, it may not be law to have people actually sign the book at the door, however,having committee on the door does serve other purposes and one important one is to stop any undesirables entering the club, it's much easier to stop them coming in than to have to ask them to leave.

Here here, Howz the printer going:wink:

Stantons Angel
13-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Please dont let this thread become an embarrassment to the site. As boris has said the thing should be left to calm down.

An EGM may be needed to sort it out and we could do without the thread turning into a farce as well!!!

Toaods
13-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Colin Rich

Oh, it's you then Colin....I never knew that, but I'll add you a friend now and let you know who I am on the quiet as I'm a faceless wonder....:greengrin

invisible man
13-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Here here, Howz the printer going:wink:

Working perfectly now I've figured out how to clean it! Know anyone who can print some leaflets for us?

Last Minute
13-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Working perfectly now I've figured out how to clean it! Know anyone who can print some leaflets for us?

I know a good guy who would help with that:greengrin

invisible man
13-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, it's you then Colin....I never knew that, but I'll add you a friend now and let you know who I am on the quiet as I'm a faceless wonder....:greengrin

o.k Dave :wink: Or is it John?

invisible man
13-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I know a good guy who would help with that:greengrin

Good because I can't think of any :wink:

ArabHibee
13-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I might be wrong, it may not be law to have people actually sign the book at the door, however, having committee on the door does serve other purposes and one important one is to stop any undesirables entering the club, it's much easier to stop them coming in than to have to ask them to leave.

Bang goes my visit then! :grr::greengrin

marinello59
13-04-2010, 09:01 PM
More bad news I am afraid. :boo hoo:

YouTube - Peter Kay - Phoenix Nights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU64cDx69f8)

Toaods
13-04-2010, 09:27 PM
o.k Dave :wink: Or is it John?

correct.:cool2:

Joe Baker II
14-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Think that is maybe issue - generally procedures that are praised by police will be seen by many as over the top and not everyone likes places that have "door policies" anyway. Not trying to be critical - I have had to implement signing in at clubs before so know the problems.

Steve-O
14-04-2010, 09:31 AM

90% of that sounds like your job...what do the rest of them get up to? :wink:

NOLA
14-04-2010, 10:49 PM
More bad news I am afraid. :boo hoo:

YouTube - Peter Kay - Phoenix Nights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU64cDx69f8)

Love Brian Potter:thumbsup: Phoenix Nights:top marks