PDA

View Full Version : Expectations.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
This may sound like a knee-jerk reaction, but it's not. What if, at the end of the season we didn't qualify for Europe and sacked Yogi. Does no-one else think that we should be qualifying for Europe every season with the squad we have? Maybe if we took the stance of other clubs who say no to mediocrity and have real aims that must be met by our manager at the end of the seasons. Would that not the show any potential manager what we expect and that we won't settle for anything less??

Spike Mandela
11-04-2010, 07:50 AM
To fail to qualify for Europe from the position we were in around Jan/Feb is unacceptable.

I think Yogi will(and should) keep his job but he has 5 games left to save his reputation as a manager in my eyes.

heretoday
11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
It's getting to the stage when I'm grateful not to be involved in a relegation dogfight each season.

DH1875
11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't think it is to much for us to be pushing for 3rd and looking at good cup runs every season. All this top six crap is a lot of rubbish.
Yes I remember the bad times but with the squad we have and the amount of money the club has brought in over the past few years we should be intitled to expect more.
I would give Yogi next season. Hope he can get all the dead wood out the door and get better players in. If we can get a couple of decent defenders in and a good quality midfielder in then next season should be good. If not then give Yogi the chop.

HibbyAndy
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't think it is to much for us to be pushing for 3rd and looking at good cup runs every season. All this top six crap is a lot of rubbish.
Yes I remember the bad times but with the squad we have and the amount of money the club has brought in over the past few years we should be intitled to expect more.
I would give Yogi next season. Hope he can get all the dead wood out the door and get better players in. If we can get a couple of decent defenders in and a good quality midfielder in then next season should be good. If not then give Yogi the chop.

Fair assessment mate.

Sir David Gray
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Hibernian should be in European competition every season. With the infrastructure that the club has, our relatively low debt levels, our fairly big fanbase (by Scottish standards), we should be in there, year after year.

JUST being in the top six is not good enough for me and it shouldn't be good enough for any employee of Hibs either. Last season we had a manager and a set of players who seemed quite delighted at the fact that we had sealed a top six place, as if it was something to celebrate.

Earlier this season, I was quite encouraged when I heard Hughes and a couple of the players coming out and stating publicly that merely securing a top six place is not enough for a club the size of Hibs and that Europe was the aim for this year. However, yesterday I noted that in his post-match interview, Hughes was falling back into the trap of saying "What the boys have given me up until now, top six, done, good on you." That is almost exactly the same line that Mixu trotted out last season and was rightly slated for it. No Hibs player should ever be told "good on you", just for securing a top six place. That is mediocrity, pure and simple.

When you consider the position we were in a couple of months ago, the possibility that we may not be in Europe next season is totally unacceptable and would be a complete failure.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Hibernian should be in European competition every season. With the infrastructure that the club has, our relatively low debt levels, our fairly big fanbase (by Scottish standards), we should be in there, year after year.

JUST being in the top six is not good enough for me and it shouldn't be good enough for any employee of Hibs either. Last season we had a manager and a set of players who seemed quite delighted at the fact that we had sealed a top six place, as if it was something to celebrate.

Earlier this season, I was quite encouraged when I heard Hughes and a couple of the players coming out and stating publicly that merely securing a top six place is not enough for a club the size of Hibs and that Europe was the aim for this year. However, yesterday I noted that in his post-match interview, Hughes was falling back into the trap of saying "What the boys have given me up until now, top six, done, good on you." That is almost exactly the same line that Mixu trotted out last season and was rightly slated for it. No Hibs player should ever be told "good on you", just for securing a top six place. That is mediocrity, pure and simple.

When you consider the position we were in a couple of months ago, the possibility that we may not be in Europe next season is totally unacceptable and would be a complete failure.

:top marks

Thats exactly what I mean. Why should a manager or player come to this club and think that top 6 is good enough!!

H18sry
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Any manager joining any club needs at least 2 years in the job before he can call the team his own, you have to get rid of the players who are not good enough and that is not an easy thing to do as players on decent money are not going to just leave, so you have to wait on contracts to expire, cliques need to be broken up, players have to adapt to different styles of play and managers thinkings, so if we bin our manager yet again this time next season we could still be calling for his head.

Vini1875
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
It's true a manager needs time, but it is equally true that a manager can set a team up not to be beat. Right now that is what he needs to do with this team. 4-5-1 might not be pretty, however if he does have European aspirations then he should be able to get the players set up so that we do not lose.

If we didn't lose a game and secured the 4th spot I would be able to say well done, but I fear we will lose all five games and slip to 6th. If Yogi persists in this suicidal brand of football we are real danger of our season disintegrating.

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Any manager joining any club needs at least 2 years in the job before he can call the team his own, you have to get rid of the players who are not good enough and that is not an easy thing to do as players on decent money are not going to just leave, so you have to wait on contracts to expire, cliques need to be broken up, players have to adapt to different styles of play and managers thinkings, so if we bin our manager yet again this time next season we could still be calling for his head.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I totally understand what your saying but in any other league in the world managers are sacked for poor results and not fulfilling the potential the team have ie. Hibs SHOULD be qualifying for europe. Why should we settle for top 6, all that means is any manager, current or future, can come to hibs knowing that finishing somewhere near the middle of a shockingly bad league is ok and they will still have a job.

All im saying is maybe we should set the bar a bit higher and stop accepting mediocrity.

Dirkster23
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM

:faf::faf: Your priceless, did you give Mixu at least 2 years :bye:

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
:faf::faf: Your priceless, did you give Mixu at least 2 years :bye:

Did we see any progress under Mixu?

Dirkster23
11-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Did we see any progress under Mixu?

You agreed totally with what H18sry said did you not??

His whole post was about giving a manager at least 2 years to get rid of the last managers players and bring in his own. He also said managers need that length of time to get players used to his ways/systems. Basically the same things you come out with when your defending Yogi.

If that's how you feel why were you on here constantly moaning and demanding Mixu be sacked, when he'd only had a year? If you agree it takes that time to mould a team surely you were being unreasonable asking for Mixu to go?

FWIW, i did see progress under Mixu after the split. It was far from pretty, but he managed to get the team set up in away that was hard to beat, and the players were giving their all.

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
You agreed totally with what H18sry said did you not??

His whole post was about giving a manager at least 2 years to get rid of the last managers players and bring in his own. He also said managers need that length of time to get players used to his ways/systems. Basically the same things you come out with when your defending Yogi.

If that's how you feel why were you on here constantly moaning and demanding Mixu be sacked, when he'd only had a year? If you agree it takes that time to mould a team surely you were being unreasonable asking for Mixu to go?

FWIW, i did see progress under Mixu after the split. It was far from pretty, but he managed to get the team set up in away that was hard to beat, and the players were giving their all.

I totally agreed with H18sry, as i firmly believe we will get better under Hughes, and changing managers every season cant carry on. If folk like me were constantly wanting instant success, it only gets us into the position we are now. If Mixu had been given more time, i personally did not think he could address the situation. I do think Yogi can, there is the difference imho.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I totally agreed with H18sry, as i firmly believe we will get better under Hughes, and changing managers every season cant carry on. If folk like me were constantly wanting instant success, it only gets us into the position we are now. If Mixu had been given more time, i personally did not think he could address the situation. I do think Yogi can, there is the difference imho.

Not wanting to sound argumentative, but I honestly dont know what you have seen that makes you beleive this?? All I have seen is his total inability to change a game and the way he goes on in his post match interviews, making out that the teams performance was ok and that we were unlucky to lose. We should NOT be getting beat 4 and 5 one by teams like Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Dirkster23
11-04-2010, 01:23 PM

So what your saying is, if you like the manager he should be given at least 2 years, but if it's a manager you don't like, a years long enough :bye:

Phil D. Rolls
11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
My expectations aren't great.

H18sry
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I totally understand what your saying but in any other league in the world managers are sacked for poor results and not fulfilling the potential the team have ie. Hibs SHOULD be qualifying for europe. Why should we settle for top 6, all that means is any manager, current or future, can come to hibs knowing that finishing somewhere near the middle of a shockingly bad league is ok and they will still have a job.

All im saying is maybe we should set the bar a bit higher and stop accepting mediocrity.

Did Manure sack Sir Alex when they were not fulfilling there potential? Where are they now, dont get me wrong we are not Manure but given time Yogi could go on to be an all time great Hibs manager

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
So what your saying is, if you like the manager he should be given at least 2 years, but if it's a manager you don't like, a years long enough :bye:

No, what i'm saying is we cant keep changing managers. I dont like Yogi any more than i like Mixu? Although i do see a better future under Hughes, than i did with Mixu.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Not wanting to sound argumentative, but I honestly dont know what you have seen that makes you beleive this?? All I have seen is his total inability to change a game and the way he goes on in his post match interviews, making out that the teams performance was ok and that we were unlucky to lose. We should NOT be getting beat 4 and 5 one by teams like Hamilton and St Johnstone.

I saw enough up to the middle of February, for me to think he can take us forward. Stack wotherspoon hogg bamba murray, zemamma mcbride miller riordan, nish and stokes, all playing on top of their game, was good enough whatever formation, to take us 2 points from 2nd. Yogi told us from day 1, we were not that good, but they had done better than anyone expected.

Another window will give him the chance to build again, for what i believe is a rosy future. All we need is a little patience.

J-C
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Don't think it's as easy as saying you don't like him, more to the point is you don't feel he was capable, big difference. Can't remember anyone calling for Yogi's head after only a couple of months but very soon after Mixu took over people could see where it was going, nowhere fast.

J-C
11-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Neither should Rangers or Celtic.:wink:

Sir David Gray
11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Neither should Rangers or Celtic.:wink:

You're quite correct there but in Celtic's case, their 4-0 defeat to St Mirren signalled the end for Tony Mowbray as he lost his job the next day and Rangers' 4-1 defeat to St Johnstone, although completely unacceptable to anyone connected with Rangers, was only their second league defeat in more than a year.

We have lost four or five goals in four matches in the past three and a half months.

PISTOL1875
11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I saw enough up to the middle of February, for me to think he can take us forward. Stack wotherspoon hogg bamba murray, zemamma mcbride miller riordan, nish and stokes, all playing on top of their game, was good enough whatever formation, to take us 2 points from 2nd. Yogi told us from day 1, we were not that good, but they had done better than anyone expected.

Another window will give him the chance to build again, for what i believe is a rosy future. All we need is a little patience.

You're right there BH.. Patience is the name of the game here..

J-C
11-04-2010, 02:40 PM
You're quite correct there but in Celtic's case, their 4-0 defeat to St Mirren signalled the end for Tony Mowbray as he lost his job the next day and Rangers' 4-1 defeat to St Johnstone, although completely unacceptable to anyone connected with Rangers, was only their second league defeat in more than a year.

We have lost four or five goals in four matches in the past three and a half months.

The point I'm making is there are 2-3 teams capable of doing this in. the SPL this season, no matter who they're against, St J put another 3 past the Dons, who I must admit are pish this year, maybe we're taking these teams too lightly.