PDA

View Full Version : Happy Clapper pauses for thought

Aubenas
10-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Ok, hands up. I've been a Happy Clapper for years - check my posts. I've always supported Rodders, I stuck with Mixu and Collins to the bitter end, and, in fact, I am still optimistic about where Hibs are going. However.......

I got really angry today.

At a fair estimate, it probably cost each Hibee who was at Hamilton today around £60 -70, and for some , that would have been a fair percentage of their disposable cash for the week. OK, nobody forces them to go, but they are supporters and they rely on the Cabbage to bring a bit of joy to their week.

I get well paid in my job and so I can afford to go to away games without too much financial pain, but all I ask is to retain pride in my team - win or lose. To be honest, I was struggling with that today.

What we got was a performance from a Hibs team that contains a number of players who clearly don't care - certainly not for the fans, but, more tellingly, for their own professional pride. They failed to put in challenges, pulled out of tackles and followed no game plan. The only bright moments today were when a player like Bamba or Murray, obviously sick of the lack of effort, went on a mazy - real playground stuff.

Of today's team, I think Murray cares for Hibs and is always honest, never hides; I think Rankin is an honest if limited professional, I think Thicot has ability but lacks direction. Bamba put in a good shift as well. The rest seemed to be there to pick up appearance money, and it doesn't really need Steve Cowan to report laughing and joking in the warm down to make that clear.

It is screamingly obvious that something has happened in the dressing room. While third or even fourth place was at stake, I wouldn't have expected any news on that. However, Hibs are now clearly headed for 6th place. That being the case, I would like the club to make some kind of statement - not details clearly, but an explanation that things have gone wrong and what will be done about it. As a committed fan, that would mean something to me, rather than 'listening groups' about peripheral matters.

I love Hibs and I will support them through thick and thin, but I don't like being taken for a fool. The players have obviously given up, and I think the thousands of pounds I've given Hibs over the past fifty years entitles me to more than the anodyne statements that the manager issues after each match.

I know that our current position is far from disastrous, but, equally, the team has been grievously underperfoming for the past three months. What's going on at Easter Rd, and what's going to be done about it?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Mate, what a fantastic post. Sums up the situation perfectly, particularly for the longer suffering members of the Hibs support. We don't expect Hibs to win The Champions League, but, what the Donald Duck is going on?

gorgie_harp
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Ok, hands up. I've been a Happy Clapper for years - check my posts. I've always supported Rodders, I stuck with Mixu and Collins to the bitter end, and, in fact, I am still optimistic about where Hibs are going. However.......

At a fair estimate, it probably cost each Hibee who was at Hamilton today around £60 -70, and for some , that would have been a fair percentage of their disposable cash for the week. OK, nobody forces them to go, but they are supporters and they rely on the Cabbage to bring a bit of joy to their week.

I get well paid in my job and so I can afford to go to away games without too much financial pain, but all I ask is to retain pride in my team - win or lose. To be honest, I was struggling with that today.

What we got was a performance from a Hibs team that contains a number of players who clearly don't care - certainly not for the fans, but, more tellingly, for their own professional pride. They failed to put in challenges, pulled out of tackles and followed no game plan. The only bright moments today were when a player like Bamba or Murray, obviously sick of the lack of effort, went on a mazy - real playground stuff.

Of today's team, I think Murray cares for Hibs and is always honest, never hides; I think Rankin is an honest if limited professional, I think Thicot has ability but lacks direction. Bamba put in a good shift as well. The rest seemed to be there to pick up appearance money, and it doesn't really need Steve Cowan to report laughing and joking in the warm down to make that clear.

It is screamingly obvious that something has happened in the dressing room. While third or even fourth place was at stake, I wouldn't have expected any news on that. However, Hibs are now clearly headed for 6th place. That being the case, I would like the club to make some kind of statement - not details clearly, but an explanation that things have gone wrong and what will be done about it. As a committed fan, that would mean something to me, rather than 'listening groups' about peripheral matters.

I love Hibs and I will support them through thick and thin, but I don't like being taken for a fool. The players have obviously given up, and I think the thousands of pounds I've given Hibs over the past fifty years entitles me to more than the anodyne statements that the manager issues after each match.

I know that our current position is far from disastrous, but, equally, the team has been grievously underperfoming for the past three months. What's going on at Easter Rd, and what's going to be done about it?

Take a bow,top post.:top marks
Hibernian, pull yer ****ing finger out ( Again ):grr::bitchy:

Gettin' Auld
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Excellent.....:top marks

Pedantic_Hibee
10-04-2010, 10:57 PM

I echo these sentiments 100%.

Brilliant post :top marks

matty_f
10-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Well said.

There is a huge amount of work needing to be done between now and the start of next season.

Billychaotic182
10-04-2010, 11:01 PM
spot on mate.

monktonharp
10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
first class post Aubenas. sums it up,regarding the fans like you and me that have been through dissapointments throughout the years,and just as importantly for the younger fans,who go home and away expecting Hibernian to put in an effort to get some reward. it does now seem that summit aint right ,in the background and the fans wont take much more of this. I think the club are are in real danger of losing a lot of supporters for ever,and I take no pleasure in saying that. this season has been the most dissapointing in many a year,and has happened over a short period of 3 months

Pedantic_Hibee
10-04-2010, 11:17 PM
first class post Aubenas. sums it up,regarding the fans like you and me that have been through dissapointments throughout the years,and just as importantly for the younger fans,who go home and away expecting Hibernian to put in an effort to get some reward. it does now seem that summit aint right ,in the background and the fans wont take much more of this. I think the club are are in real danger of losing a lot of supporters for ever,and I take no pleasure in saying that. this season has been the most dissapointing in many a year,and has happened over a short period of 3 months

You look good for your age :greengrin

Bookkeeper
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM

:top marks

:agree: Aye, it would be a nice change if the club/yogi treated the fans with a bit more honesty and respect and were more open about the problems we're facing. But I suspect it will be all kept behind closed doors and any problems will be shown the door/allowed to leave in the summer.

It would also be good to hear a statement from the club with regard to the ethos and culture required within the club and what is expected from the players of all age groups. Success usually requires sacrifice.

monktonharp
10-04-2010, 11:42 PM
You look good for your age :greengrincalm down buddy,your not in her league :wink:

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Great post agree with all of it.

At 14 i havnt been supporting hibs as long as other people on hear and havnt seen some of the worst times here but surely our recent run and performances are some of the worst for a long time.

It is very obvious there is something wrong as we are just giving up in games where as at the start of the season even if we were not playing great we would try and try for 90 mins and we would draw games that we would lose now and were winning games that we would draw now.

MountcastleHibs
11-04-2010, 02:27 AM

What a superb post. Agree with each and every one of your points. You may have just united the board with this thread.

Cabbage1875
11-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Spot on, absolutely right on the money.

Unfortunately results like this should not be acceptable in the makeup of this club. We have become too apathetic in our support and this kind of result should never come to fruition.

My worst fears regarding Yogi have been realised and he should do the honourable thing. In my view of course.

But if you were actually there today there is no way you could defend that.

Devine
11-04-2010, 04:25 AM

First class and well put! However, are you a true Hibs fan!? I mean you arent blindly accepting what Yogi is putting on a plate!?!?

Of course you are and like the rest of us are not willing to accept pash poor excuses for the sort of performances we have had to put up with!

The_Horde
11-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Seen Darren Mccormack out tonight.

Mate if i'd just been PUMPED by hamilton i wouldnt have been out never mind joking around as he was.

I hate garmo.

KWJ
11-04-2010, 05:50 AM
But urm, eh , what aboot, mind when, umm , eh.....

Aye! Top post mate, absolutely spot on.

:agree:

PaulSmith
11-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Mate if i'd just been PUMPED by hamilton i wouldnt have been out never mind joking around as he was.

I hate garmo.

was he Drinking? Serious question as only a few days ago he was claiming to be off the drink, staying in and it's all about my career now

Eaststand
11-04-2010, 06:33 AM

:top marksexcellent post and I hope we can get some kind of idea about what's going on and how the obvious player attitude problem is being dealt with

GGTTH

One Day Soon
11-04-2010, 07:45 AM

I think your contribution here is spot on.

I'm an East Terrace season ticket holder of about twenty years. I help run a supporters club and from time to time have assisted Hibs on the odd matter on an ad hoc basis. The point being that I'm not a casual supporter and neither are the guys I go to the games with. So what disturbs me most is the incremental milking of all enthusiasm and passion out of the support first under Mixu and now under Yogi.

With Mixu it appeared to be poor tactics, poor formations and poor football with at least real effort. Now it seems to be much of the same but with a 'couldn't give a 5h1t' attitude from many of the players thrown in on top. And that is what is coming across so clearly to the support. That is what is fuelling so much of the entirely understandable anger on here.

In the middle of all this the manager is the lightning conductor for people's rage over how poorly we are playing and over our final league positioning in prospect. Its partly because this standard just isn't good enough by a very long way, partly that we see how poor most of the rest of the league is and know that a team firing on all cylinders should be tucking many of these games away easily and partly that we know the quality of the squad while needing improved should still be producing much better performances than it does.

So to cut to the chase, what is wrong? If any of you know then share it. If it is one or two (or more) players with an attitude problem then name them and tell us within the limits of libel what the issues are. If it is something else then tell us.

The players read these borads and so do the media. Until we start talking about what the actual issues are rather than just being abusive about Hughes, midget midfields or whatever then we are not naming the problem(s) for what they are and forcing them to be confronted.

We don't need speculation about what any of us think the problem might be. We need some facts so that we as fans can at least unite and be clear about what needs to happen next, either now or in the close season.

Golden Bear
11-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I can't make my mind up if Yogi is *issed off with the players or the players are *issed off with Yogi.

I do know for certain however that I am seriously *issed off with both Yogi and the players.

Ed De Gramo
11-04-2010, 02:40 PM

I hate garmo.

your Garmo or me :boo hoo: