PDA

View Full Version : European Qualification

Spike Mandela
10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Now that Ross County are in the Scottish Cup Final does that mean 5th place no longer qualifies for Europe?

Sir David Gray
10-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I was under the impression that if a team wins the Scottish Cup and has already qualified for Europe (i.e. finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th) through their league placing then the runners up get into Europe.

However, Scoopyboy informed me the other day that I was wrong and that the winners must have qualified for the Champions League for the runners up to get into Europe.

With that in mind, the only way that 5th place will be in Europe is if Dundee Utd win tomorrow, win the cup and then finish in 2nd place in the SPL.

ballengeich
10-04-2010, 05:16 PM
If Dundee United win the cup and finish 3rd or 4th in the league, the 5th placed team in the league gets the final place.

Cup runners-up only qualify if the cup winners are in the Champions' League.

Arch Stanton
10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
If Dundee United win the cup and finish 3rd or 4th in the league, the 5th placed team in the league gets the final place.

Cup runners-up only qualify if the cup winners are in the Champions' League.

So, we want Celtic to stay 2nd and DU to win the cup - a reasonable bet but not certain.

If Only
10-04-2010, 05:36 PM
So, we want Celtic to stay 2nd and DU to win the cup - a reasonable bet but not certain.

Only one thing wrong with that why do you want Hearts to be in Europe??

Sir David Gray
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM

You're awfully certain that we'll finish 5th.

Arch Stanton
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
You're awfully certain that we'll finish 5th.

I didn't think of that - if Hearts finished 5th AND got into Europe that would have to be the pits.

Taz_hibee
10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I didn't think of that - if Hearts finished 5th AND got into Europe that would have to be the pits.

I think if that happened and we finished 6th that would defo be by by Yogi

Beefster
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I was under the impression that if a team wins the Scottish Cup and has already qualified for Europe (i.e. finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th) through their league placing then the runners up get into Europe.

However, Scoopyboy informed me the other day that I was wrong and that the winners must have qualified for the Champions League for the runners up to get into Europe.

With that in mind, the only way that 5th place will be in Europe is if Dundee Utd win tomorrow, win the cup and then finish in 2nd place in the SPL.

Surely if that happened, Ross County would get into the UEFA Cup?

Sir David Gray
10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Surely if that happened, Ross County would get into the UEFA Cup?

Yep, I've even confused myself now. :bitchy:

I meant that if they finished 3rd.

HibbyAl
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
The easiest way to look at it is that the Scottish Cup has a Europa League place. If Dundee Utd finish 3rd and win the Scottish Cup, they take the Europa League place as Scottish Cup winners. If they finish 2nd and win the Scottish Cup, they will be in the Champions League which leaves the Scottish Cup Europa League place up for grabs and it therefore goes to the runners up.

Simples!

Steve20
11-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Doesn't matter. We will finish 6th anyway.

Spike Mandela
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
If Ross County win the cup 5th place won't matter anyway:dizzy:

IWasThere2016
11-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I could be wrong but I think I heard Beeb commentators saying that RC were in Europe if Arabs won today.

That suggests only 4th gets a place - yes/no? :confused:

Bristolhibby
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I could be wrong but I think I heard Beeb commentators saying that RC were in Europe if Arabs won today.

That suggests only 4th gets a place - yes/no? :confused:

The beeb are wrong mate. Not that that happens often!

HibbyAl has the best explination. But there is a whole lotta football to be played. Sad thing is I can see us only getting a couple of points between now and the end of the season.

IWasThere2016
11-04-2010, 08:40 AM
The beeb are wrong mate. Not that that happens often!

Cheers.