PDA

View Full Version : Players, not the manager

Gus Fring
10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Before I start I know its the managers job to motivate players etc but heres my thoughts. I also was not there today so I will admit these opinions are from past performances and the assumption today was the same.

The players who seem to be causing us the most problems are ones who were here before yogi?

Riordan is Lazy, he rarely seems to be involved in the game unless given the ball directly to his feet, seems to whinge constantly but does nothing about it.

Nish, seems a bit too clumsy, falls over easily, not great at arial stuff outside of the box and is forever offside!

Hogg, is not a captain IMO.

Stevenson, always seems to hold onto the ball for a few seconds too long

Rankin is a first team player by default i reckon, only plays cos theres not many alternatives.

It seems to me that the players yogi has brought in are the ones who have given the best performances over the course of the season? With the exception of Benji who he seems to have made a difference with (hes not been great but at least hes here and trying again)

Just my thoughts, feel free to add or correct me as you see fit :wink:

Gettin' Auld
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Just heard that during the "warm down" after the game, the Hibs players were laughing and joking with each other............Those guys just don't even seem to care! :grr:

matty_f
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
You can't polish a turd. A high percentage of the players at Yogi's disposal are nowhere near good enough, and others who are good enough are being played out of position to compensate and the whole team suffers.

I can't wait til the season ends and Yogi gets the chance to sort it out.

ScottB
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM
What is this delusion that we have some awful, threadbare squad?

Riordan and Stokes are 20 goal a season strikers if used effectively, we have 3 of the best keepers in the division, Bamba on his day (so we are told) is potentially Premiership class, Miller has played at the highest level, Murray has bags of experience, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Galbraith et all have bags of potential. Most of the guys on our bench would waltz into the starting line up of our rivals.

For those who want some huge rebuilding job, where are we to find cheap, better players? We need a RB and a CM, but beyond that, how likely is it we will find a player better than Bamba or Miller that we can afford?

I think we have a pretty solid squad, certainly for fighting for third. The issue is tactics and attitude. The tactics don't change and the squads attitude by and large stinks, Hughes is causing problem one, as to what is causing problem two I don't know...

Mikey
10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not convinced. The manager should be using the players at his disposal in the best possible way. We can all see that the players he has can't play in the formation he wants to use. We're over run in midfield in every game (that's not an exaggeration) and we're now in danger of shipping 4 or 5 goals in any game we go into.

The manager should be using the players he has in another way as plan A clearly isn't working. If the board back him in the summer it will simply be to bring in players that can cope with his preferred formation. But what happens when we come up against teams that know how to combat that?

I haven't seen anything from Hughes to suggest that he can turn it around. We've been crying out for a different approach for months now and it hasn't happened.

For me, putting out the same formation week after week, and standing watching the midfield being over run week after week, is inexcusable.

Mikey
10-04-2010, 04:36 PM

The only consolation I have with that is that he's likely to bring in decent players. Hopefully his successor will be able to do something with them.

Jim44
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
We have a compounded problem - a cr@p, big mouthed idiot as a manager of a team full of over-rated, arrogant non-entities. We are nowhere good enough, now, for the top six. It's 6th place for us, odds on.

CMac1988
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I think that individually we have some cracking players, but to call them a squad is ridiculous.

On the park they can hardly string two or more passes together, send long passes into to no mans land, have no desire to fight for or win balls... Blah, Blah, BLAH!

As a team right now there *****!!

I thin the players should have more of a responsibility for the way the 2nd half of the season has gone.

matty_f
10-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Riordan and Stokes are 20 goal a season strikers if used effectively, we have 3 of the best keepers in the division, Bamba on his day (so we are told) is potentially Premiership class, Miller has played at the highest level, Murray has bags of experience, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Galbraith et all have bags of potential. Most of the guys on our bench would waltz into the starting line up of our rivals.

For those who want some huge rebuilding job, where are we to find cheap, better players? We need a RB and a CM, but beyond that, how likely is it we will find a player better than Bamba or Miller that we can afford?

I think we have a pretty solid squad, certainly for fighting for third. The issue is tactics and attitude. The tactics don't change and the squads attitude by and large stinks, Hughes is causing problem one, as to what is causing problem two I don't know...

No doubt we have some quality players, but nowhere near enough of them, and the rest of the squad aren't even average SPL quality IMHO.

Go through the squad, and how many of the players would you want to rely on to get a result for you?

You can get better players on a budget - after all we got Stokes, Miller, Deek, and Murray in on our budget.

The big issue is that we've not got the quality in key positions. Both sides of the midfield are very week, so we have seen Miller playing out of position on the right, and Deek playing on the left. I'm a big fan or Riordan, but as a left midfielder he gives the team almost hee-haw bar his goals. And that's with him working hard.

Centre-half - we've got Bamba that you can say is quality, and after that it's youngsters, Thicot, or an out of form Hogg.

Right back - problem position all season. Worked ok with Wotherspoon there until he lost some form as the season went on.

Left back - fine if Nid's fit, where he has to come in to cover at CH or is unavailable then we've nobody that I would put as top 6 quality to come in.

Centre mid - Cregg? Dunno, not seen enough of him. Rankin - works like a bear but isn't top 6 standard, IMHO. McBride pre-injury looked different class, and hopefully he'll hit those heights again.

Then we're looking at Nish or Benji in the attacking midfielder role. Neither are naturals there and both look like fish out of water. Gow could be the answer but until he's fully fit we'll not know.

That's my take on the squad. I think from that it's clear that there is a big issue with the overall quality of the squad.

J-C
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Been working and thank god I didn't listen on line, to me we have bunch of plers who only want to play when they can be arsed. All too often we seem drop to playing like a bunch of huddies, no guts, no energy and at times no class.

Yogi has stated on numerous occasions about players not being professional and not being mentally strong enough.

Hibby Bairn
10-04-2010, 05:11 PM
We have a squad of guys who have had a go at a higher level/bigger team/higher salaries and have failed. They are probably better than hibs and they have been given a chance to resurrect their careers. But they appear to think/know they are better than hibs and don't seem to have the desire to improve and rebuild.

Probably why they never took their chance at Celtic/Rangers/Sunderland/Man Utd/Ipswich (:cool2:), Arsenal in the first place. Add in Bamba who think he should be at Liverpool and the two Morroccans who think they should also be at a "bigger" club.

We have, in short, a squad of wasters.

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes a squad of wasters indeed, but 4-3-3 formation is a joke, Hughes is a master dumpling, then when the 3 in midfield were being over-run, he goes to 4-2-4.......

Priceless

monktonharp
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm not convinced. The manager should be using the players at his disposal in the best possible way. We can all see that the players he has can't play in the formation he wants to use. We're over run in midfield in every game (that's not an exaggeration) and we're now in danger of shipping 4 or 5 goals in any game we go into.

The manager should be using the players he has in another way as plan A clearly isn't working. If the board back him in the summer it will simply be to bring in players that can cope with his preferred formation. But what happens when we come up against teams that know how to combat that?

I haven't seen anything from Hughes to suggest that he can turn it around. We've been crying out for a different approach for months now and it hasn't happened.

For me, putting out the same formation week after week, and standing watching the midfield being over run week after week, is inexcusable.:top marks Hibernian v Anyone = goal of a start for Anyone . = midfield surrendered before players kick ball

Hibeebor
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
You can't polish a turd. A high percentage of the players at Yogi's disposal are nowhere near good enough, and others who are good enough are being played out of position to compensate and the whole team suffers.

Tell you what, that's brightened my day a bit! :faf:

smurf
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Ability is nothing if you've not got the correct attitude. And the players laughing and joking in their warm down only minutes of such humiliation today tells us all we need to know of their attitude.

Therefore it is players.

But for the reasons very well outlined by Mikey it's also the manager.

TornadoHibby
10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Ability is nothing if you've not got the correct attitude. And the players laughing and joking in their warm down only minutes of such humiliation today tells us all we need to know of their attitude.

Therefore it is players.

Been saying that for weeks now actually months and been shot down in flames by a few regulars on here who re still, even today, telling us that it will be alright next season once all the "dead wood" gets dumped and the new" superstars" Yogi has "identified" can be acquired within budget", whatever the hell that means in relation to Hibs as no-one on here actually knows! :confused:

I think we have more serious problems which will doubtless become evident in the fullness of time and we will not progress until they are and until they are properly dealt with - in my opinion of course! :wink:

Anyway, squash club end of season "night out" tonight so I'm going to enjoy myself at that and forget about this constant disappointment that is Hibs until (at least) tomorrow! :wink:

matty_f
10-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Been saying that for weeks now actually months and been shot down in flames by a few regulars on here who re still, even today, telling us that it will be alright next season once all the "dead wood" gets dumped and the new" superstars" Yogi has "identified" can be acquired within budget", whatever the hell that means in relation to Hibs as no-one on here actually knows! :confused:

I think we have more serious problems which will doubtless become evident in the fullness of time and we will not progress until they are and until they are properly dealt with - in my opinion of course! :wink:

Anyway, squash club end of season "night out" tonight so I'm going to enjoy myself at that and forget about this constant disappointment that is Hibs until (at least) tomorrow! :wink:

I would absolutely love it if you could point out any single post where anyone has suggested Yogi has identified superstars, and within budget surely isn't that difficult a concept to grasp, even for you.

Jim44
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Therefore it is players.

Pound to a penny, they be out on the town tonight getting their priorities right.:rolleyes:

MSK
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Pound to a penny, they be out on the town tonight getting their priorities right.:rolleyes:What would you expect them to be doing Jim ..?

matty_f
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
What would you expect them to be doing Jim ..?

If they're not able to prove they've spent at least an hour on the phone to the Samaritans, then I'm writing a strongly worded letter to my MP.

The bas**rds.:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr: etc.

mcfly
10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
the manager is the one in charge if these players let him down then drop them, set an example that it wont be tolerated.

we are no better under yogi than we were under mixu. the only difference is mixu didnt get lucky late goals and the breaks that yogi did. also the finance!!!!!

we are a joke, powder puff in midfield, got more goalies than we need. players are too lazy and not fighting for the jersey, a perfect example was ross county.

in my view yogi has till xmas. if he has not sorted out the right back situation and the midfield then he must leave.

finally if hearts finish above us then he and the players should hang their heads in shame

TornadoHibby
I would absolutely love it if you could point out any single post where anyone has suggested Yogi has identified superstars, and within budget surely isn't that difficult a concept to grasp, even for you.

I do believe that you think I am an idiot! :cool2:

Brilliant! :greengrin

MSK
If they're not able to prove they've spent at least an hour on the phone to the Samaritans, then I'm writing a strongly worded letter to my MP.

The bas**rds.:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr: etc.:greengrin

matty_f
10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I do believe that you think I am an idiot! :cool2:

Brilliant! :greengrin

Don't get a big head, I think we're all idiots!:greengrin

brydekirk
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Therefore it is players.

:agree: i think yogi is trying what JC tried, but in a different way. its still not working, so , for me, its the players. GTTF. keep the obvious and start again. i still think with the right players yogi can make us .

renato
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM

For me, putting out the same formation week after week, and standing watching the midfield being over run week after week, is inexcusable.

These two posts sum it up perfectly for me. We're in a bad way, and so much of it is self inflicted! Shambles.

Jonnyboy
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM

You may just find that some of the 'good enough' ones get punted

matty_f
10-04-2010, 08:22 PM
You may just find that some of the 'good enough' ones get punted

:agree: And to be fair, I'll not be sorry because I'll trust the reasons behind it.

If there are players who are 'good enough' that are holding us back in other ways, then ****** them.

Hibernian FC is far greater than anyone at the club right now. The sooner the players get that into their heads, the better.

Jonnyboy
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM
:agree: And to be fair, I'll not be sorry because I'll trust the reasons behind it.

If there are players who are 'good enough' that are holding us back in other ways, then ****** them.

Hibernian FC is far greater than anyone at the club right now. The sooner the players get that into their heads, the better.

:top marks

Franck is God
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Hibs current issues started a few years ago when the management didn't back JC 100% against the players, he should have been given a free hand to rebuild the squad and get rid of any player who's attitude wasn't right regardless of who they were and what they had done in the past. The failure to back the manager then put the players in charge and that never works, Collins was always fighting a losing battle.

Mixu came in, thanks to the way JC left he had a bit more money to spend, signed a few good players but bever really had 'enough' management quality to do a job with a decent squad and was rightly shown the door.

There have been signs under Yogi that he knows what he's trying to do, of course I'm disappointed about how our season has collapsed since the turn of the year but getting rid of another manager is not the answer. The squad have now had a season to show what they're capable of, it is his job now to move on the ones that don't have it and bring in some that do.

Fantic
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM

They could go to the gym, have a workout and show some commitment

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Hibs current issues started a few years ago when the management didn't back JC 100% against the players, he should have been given a free hand to rebuild the squad and get rid of any player who's attitude wasn't right regardless of who they were and what they had done in the past. The failure to back the manager then put the players in charge and that never works, Collins was always fighting a losing battle.

Mixu came in, thanks to the way JC left he had a bit more money to spend, signed a few good players but bever really had 'enough' management quality to do a job with a decent squad and was rightly shown the door.

There have been signs under Yogi that he knows what he's trying to do, of course I'm disappointed about how our season has collapsed since the turn of the year but getting rid of another manager is not the answer. The squad have now had a season to show what they're capable of, it is his job now to move on the ones that don't have it and bring in some that do.

:agree:

Steve-O
11-04-2010, 01:40 AM

Well, sometimes after an utterly shocking performance at their work (again) it would be maybe comforting at least to think some of them might be embarrassed to show their faces in town for once?

Must they go out EVERY Saturday night? Really?

Baldy Foghorn
11-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Well, sometimes after an utterly shocking performance at their work (again) it would be maybe comforting at least to think some of them might be embarrassed to show their faces in town for once?

Must they go out EVERY Saturday night? Really?

Of course the must go out every saturday night, that is what the players are all about, not one has a genuine love for the Club.......

Primaddonas the lot of them.......