PDA

View Full Version : Well done RC , but another low grade team in Europe

Niffy
10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Cannae take it away from Ross County , but another season coming up with a lower division team in Europe for Scotland.

Not saying Hibs or anybody else would fair better... but it's still a point.

ScottB
10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Cannae take it away from Ross County , but another season coming up with a lower division team in Europe for Scotland.

Not saying Hibs or anybody else would fair better... but it's still a point.

Cause Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee United all have a great record of not getting papped out in the first round anyway?

I disagree with beaten Cup finalists going into Europe, but I don't think County will do that much worse than anyone else, they've proven themselves able to beat better teams on their day, good luck to them.

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
They'll only be in Europe if they win the cup or dundee utd win tomorrow and finish 2nd in the SPL

hibiedude
10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Ross County will be in Europe but I cant see the issue your trying to make.

Are you saying because they are a small team they shouldn’t be there

Well can that not be said about today’s game because celtic are a massive team Ross Country are minnows but they won.

lyonhibs
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
They'll only be in Europe if they win the cup or dundee utd win tomorrow and finish 2nd in the SPL

If United win the cup and finish 3rd in the league, I think Ross County still get into Europe because UEFA (or FIFA or whichever collection of bloated blazers runs the game thses days) told the SFA to bugger off when they - apparently - wanted to change it so that the European place was transferred to the next team down the league as opposed to cup runners up.

Bristolhibby
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Well can that not be said about today’s game because celtic are a massive team Ross Country are minnows but they won.

As Ritchy said

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM

They are not guaranteed Europe. See my last post

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
If United win the cup and finish 3rd in the league, I think Ross County still get into Europe because UEFA (or FIFA or whichever collection of bloated blazers runs the game thses days) told the SFA to bugger off when they - apparently - wanted to change it so that the European place was transferred to the next team down the league as opposed to cup runners up.

Wrong tarquin. Wrong.

Andy74
10-04-2010, 01:47 PM

How? That was never changed was it?

hibiedude
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
They are not guaranteed Europe. See my last post

Cheers Ritchie :wink:

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Also.... How are Ross county a lesser team?? They pumped us and Celtic.

Good on them. I hope they win the cup and rightly qualify for Europe.

lyonhibs
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Wrong tarquin. Wrong.

If you can point me to where its confirmed that the SFA got their desired rule change rubber stamped by FIFA, then I am indeed wrong.

Until then, I don't think - or at least can't remember reading officially - that the "Cup runners up into Europe if the cup winners are already there via league placing" rule has been changed, therefore I'm right :greengrin

tony
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Another low grade team in Europe?? Have I been missing our high grade teams? :greengrin

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes. By the SFA.

Chick young the complete tit was going around the Ross county players telling them they had all qualified for Europe if Dundee utd win tomorrow...... He then had to apologise to them all when the studio corrected him

Ritchie
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
If you can point me to where its confirmed that the SFA got their desired rule change rubber stamped by FIFA, then I am indeed wrong.

Until then, I don't think - or at least can't remember reading officially - that the "Cup runners up into Europe if the cup winners are already there via league placing" rule has been changed, therefore I'm right :greengrin

Bluuuuggghhh tarquin. Bluuuuggghhh

HONG KONG PHOOEY
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM

If you win the Scottish Cup you go in at the last qualifying round (before the groups) for Europa League. If Utd win the league they will take that place (unless they are second and are in the champions league). Their league place would then drop down one place and so would the other one. Thats what I think.

Bristolhibby
10-04-2010, 01:58 PM

No the proposed rule change was that only the cup winners got into Europe and nada for runners up. UEFA insisted that one Europa League spot is allocated via a cup competion. So the amended rule change was as follows.

The scenario kept happening because the finals were being won by a team in the Champions League spot (Rangers and Celtic and The Maroon Morons in 2006). This is the first time in ages that a SFA Cup final does not have one of the CL qualified teams in it.

If one of the finalists is only in the Europa League spot (ie 3rd in the SPL) then they take the higher ranked Cup winners Europa spot and the beaten finalists get nothing. This very likley scenario means that 5th in the SPL will get the last Europa League spot.

So guys tomorrow we want an Arab victory, with Dundee Utd winning in May.

That would mean that Hibs have a greater chance of a wee European adventure. Now nobody can argue with that.

J

Jim44
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I think it's patronising to look down on Ross County's participation in European football. They are well on the way to earning the right to be there with players who played with pride and commitment which is totally lacking in the prima donnas, aka Hibernian and Celtic.

noseyhibby
10-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I think it's patronising to look down on Ross County's participation in European football. They are well on the way to earning the right to be there with players who played with pride and commitment which is totally lacking in the prima donnas, aka Hibernian and Celtic.

I totally agree. It's also disrespectful and utterly unromantic. RC are a breath of fresh air in the claustrophobic duopoly that is Scottish football.
RC are a great distraction from the mundane stuff being delivered by our boys. Long live the underdog.