PDA

View Full Version : Alan O'Brien

Gala Foxes
09-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Just watching a feature about Swindon Town's promotion push in League 1 on Sky - made me curious if that imposter of a winger , Alan O'Brien , had played any part in the rise of Swindon.

On investigation, as any Hi-bee would expect, he has not.

4 appearances, out with a hamstring injury (no doubt obtained pulling his gloves on) and comments on the website like "the Swindon fans have still to see the best of me" - sounds familiar

Its amazing how so many piss-poor players can coast through a career making no impact and pulling what is no doubt a good salary from a series of gullable clubs.

Well spotted Tommy Craig !

CallumLaidlaw
09-04-2010, 05:40 PM
To be fair to craig, O brien was wanted by a few championship clubs when we signed him, and Newcastle wanted to keep him. His pace would be lethal is used correctly

Diclonius
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM
To be fair to craig, O brien was wanted by a few championship clubs when we signed him, and Newcastle wanted to keep him. His pace would be lethal is used correctly

Like at the 100 metres.

Makaveli
09-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Aye, if it was attached to a footballer :wink:

Gala Foxes
09-04-2010, 05:42 PM

As I said - so many gullable clubs - I remember well how effective his pace was against the amateurs of Queens Park at Hampden in the CIS two years ago

Running the ball out for goal kicks every time

Gala Foxes
09-04-2010, 05:44 PM
footballer & trades descriptions act are phrases that spring to mind.

As is half hearted and poser

bigstu
09-04-2010, 05:55 PM
he stole wages from us! paid a fortune for doing sweet fa

.Sean.
09-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I've been a season ticket holder since I was 4 and have attended away games for the last ten years and I can honestly say Alan O'Brien is the biggest pile of ***** i've ever seen play for us. Boy, he was ****ing murder, with his chewing gum-esque hamstring, wearing gloves in the summer, a variety of coloured boots and he looked like the hunchback. What an absolute wage thief of a man.

And the wages he was apparantly on :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
We complain about having no midfield now, not too long ago we had Kerr chisholm Keenan and o'Brien in our ranks.:boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2010, 06:26 PM
We complain about having no midfield now, not too long ago we had Kerr chisholm Keenan and o'Brien in our ranks.:boo hoo:

Forgot about him wasn't he the guy that after he got released the yank held in the same cell as him admitted he couldn't stand him? :greengrin

IWasThere2016
09-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Complete imposter of a footballer. Total waste of a wage and a shirt every time he'd the front to 'play'!! MURDER! :grr:

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
A Hibs legend. Who can forget him tearing Alves a new one at Murrayfield? I'll bet The Chosen One would love to have that sort of talent at his disposal for the big showdown.

Hainan Hibs
09-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Sproule on a motorbike if I remember correctly:greengrin

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
"Run, Forrest! Run!" :faf:

He really was atrocious. I do remember a sweet cutback from him that time we beat Celtic 2-0 at Easter Road, but apart from that, absolutely zilch. He did have a bit of pace, but if you can't cross the ball, or beat players, or score, then what use is it? We'd previously been treated to Ivan Sproule on the wing, who could do all of that, plus had the enthusiasm to match!

I recall David Murphy getting frustrated on more than one occasion, to the extent that instead of passing to O'Brien, he would just run past him with the ball and do the job himself. O'Brien never looked like he wanted the ball, and when he did have it, he just wanted rid of it as quickly as possible. Total pants.

Cropley10
09-04-2010, 08:05 PM

He really was atrocious. I do remember a sweet cutback from him that time we beat Celtic 2-0 at Easter Road, but apart from that, absolutely zilch. He did have a bit of pace, but if you can't cross the ball, or beat players, or score, then what use is it? We'd previously been treated to Ivan Sproule on the wing, who could do all of that, plus had the enthusiasm to match!

I recall David Murphy getting frustrated on more than one occasion, to the extent that instead of passing to O'Brien, he would just run past him with the ball and do the job himself. O'Brien never looked like he wanted the ball, and when he did have it, he just wanted rid of it as quickly as possible. Total pants.

I think that's very unfair - Alan was suffering from a lack of confidence and just needed a run of games.

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I think that's very unfair - Alan was suffering from a lack of confidence and just needed a run of games.

Yes, I remember reading those sort of comments on here too. Deary me. :faf:

I'm guessing those nice folk then moved onto defending Makalambay's frequent antics, once AOB had left the building? :hmmm:

At least the likes of Konte and Hong Kong Thierry were at least entertaining, in their own inimitable way. :notworthy:

ekhibee
09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I've been a season ticket holder since I was 4 and have attended away games for the last ten years and I can honestly say Alan O'Brien is the biggest pile of ***** i've ever seen play for us. Boy, he was ****ing murder, with his chewing gum-esque hamstring, wearing gloves in the summer, a variety of coloured boots and he looked like the hunchback. What an absolute wage thief of a man.

And the wages he was apparantly on :bitchy:
I see the point you're making, but is he the biggest pile of ***** you've ever seen at Hibs? In recent years we've been 'entertained' by the likes of Colin Murdoch, Konte, Brian Kerr, and Ross Chisholm. Would you think about revising that statement?:greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Is that pace, or plaice?:wink:

if its the latter I am sure there are plenty more lethal fish than this old British chippy favourite, and I am not sure if AOB ever claimed that he had any connection to any type of fish, or anything else that would have improved his contribution at ER.

khib70
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, I remember reading those sort of comments on here too. Deary me. :faf:

I'm guessing those nice folk then moved onto defending Makalambay's frequent antics, once AOB had left the building? :hmmm:

At least the likes of Konte and Hong Kong Thierry were at least entertaining, in their own inimitable way. :notworthy:
As opposed to slagging off Hibs players in the way you do, then?:bitchy::rolleyes:

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
As opposed to slagging off Hibs players in the way you do, then?:bitchy::rolleyes:

If they play well, they deserve plaudits. Ivan Sproule being one such example I mentioned already.

If they play badly (and in AOB's case, don't appear to even try), then they deserve all the criticism they get.

That seems reasonable, no? :dunno:

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Ironically, the one thing he had in abundance is the very thing our current team is crying out for ..... pace :wink:

marinello59
09-04-2010, 09:45 PM
The guy had it, what he lacked was confidence. Shame, wish it had worked out for him and us. I don't recall him slagging Hibs or the fans off after he left us either.

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
The guy had it, what he lacked was confidence. Shame, wish it had worked out for him and us. I don't recall him slagging Hibs or the fans off after he left us either.

:agree:

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Why slag of a Club that was daft enough to pay you 4 grand a week for doing nothing? If he had it he kept it well hidden. Arguably the worst player I have ever seen in a Hibs shirt and that is saying something.

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Why slag of a Club that was daft enough to pay you 4 grand a week for doing nothing? If he had it he kept it well hidden. Arguably the worst player I have ever seen in a Hibs shirt and that is saying something.

At your age, not much different from mine, you must have seen worse than him, surely :greengrin

New Corrie
09-04-2010, 10:19 PM

He would have had a nerve if he had given the money he extracted from us, as Johnnyboy rightly points out, we have all seen some rancid players over the years.....but I have to say, IMO he was by far the worst! absolute knickers...not an ounce of football in him!!!

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM

:violin:

"The guy had it"? Seriously, what exactly do you think he had? It certainly wasn't any visible footballing ability, as far as I could see. To claim that he had some mysterious untapped talent, which was simply never given the opportunity to surface, seems like revisionism bordering on mythology. :crazy:

Doesn't it do the players who have played their hearts out in the green and white a disservice, to suggest that AOB deserves similar respect for what 'could have' been, 'if only'? :dunno:

Of course I can understand people feeling sorry for him as a human being, but let's not over egg it - at the end of the day, the guy knew he was on a healthy wage and yet he contributed zip (he was even one of the club's top earners at the time, if rumours are to be believed).

marinello59
09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
:violin:

"The guy had it"? Seriously, what exactly do you think he had? It certainly wasn't any visible footballing ability, as far as I could see. To claim that he had some mysterious untapped talent, which was simply never given the opportunity to surface, seems like revisionism bordering on mythology. :crazy:

Doesn't it do the players who have played their hearts out in the green and white a disservice, to suggest that AOB deserves similar respect for what 'could have' been, 'if only'? :dunno:

Of course I can understand people feeling sorry for him as a human being, but let's not over egg it - at the end of the day, the guy knew he was on a healthy wage and yet he contributed zip (he was even one of the club's top earners at the time, if rumours are to be believed).

Is that what I did?:faf:

Captain Trips
09-04-2010, 10:36 PM

If they wanted to keep him Im sure they would have.

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Is that what I did?:faf:

sixtwo
09-04-2010, 10:54 PM

One of my mates is a friend of a few hibs players. We were talking about AOB and how much of an imposter he was. He told me that during their time at ER together AOB and Steven Fletcher were good pals, They are still pals to this day. When my mate questioned AoBs ability Ffletch said, ' he's a decent bloke but a terrible player. He said he had the worst technique and ability at the club. It wasn't a lack f confidence in his opinion, JUST A LACK OF SKILL!

monktonharp
09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
AOB for me was sheer dross in a glass

.Sean.
10-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I see the point you're making, but is he the biggest pile of ***** you've ever seen at Hibs? In recent years we've been 'entertained' by the likes of Colin Murdoch, Konte, Brian Kerr, and Ross Chisholm. Would you think about revising that statement?:greengrin

Nope. In my eyes, he was that bad.

500miles
10-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I reckon his biggest problem was that he was afraid to get injured. Made of glass, and he knew it. Absolute bottle merchant.

zlatan
10-04-2010, 02:09 AM
At your age, not much different from mine, you must have seen worse than him, surely :greengrin

In terms of a wage to talent ration he's the worst I've seen.

What I like is how people say well at least he put in a good cross for Fletcher in the derby or that he had a fantastic simple square ball in the Celtic game. 2 years on a reportedly massive wage and that's all we can say of him.

KWJ
10-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Was he not tearing teams apart in his first pre season until he got injured against Stirling Albion?

That run and cutback against Celtic as mentioned was impressive.

Sort of player I was really willing to prove everyone wrong but it was never going to happen.

Met him once and he seemed a good bloke, bit shy. Wasn't on the bevvy either.

But yeah, we are better with him off the wage bill for sure and as his first team appearences go he was certainly towards the bottom of the pile that I've witnessed wearing the green and white. Not at the bottom. Paul Tosh will always and forever hold that position I reckon.

Hibstrooper
10-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Was he not tearing teams apart in his first pre season until he got injured against Stirling Albion?

Sort of player I was really willing to prove everyone wrong but it was never going to happen.

But yeah, we are better with him off the wage bill for sure and as his first team appearences go he was certainly towards the bottom of the pile that I've witnessed wearing the green and white. Not at the bottom. Paul Tosh will always and forever hold that position I reckon.

This cut back against Celtic that's been mentioned a couple of times now, is this the one where he was through one on one tried to round the keeper then just played the ball back in without even lifting his head?!

I'm all for defending players, especially when they are at the club however this guy was murder! He had one decent game against Falkirk and to be fair to the fans we gave him a great reception in that game as we hoped it would build his confidence but his total lack of ability held him back.

Confident to say worst player I have seen watching Hibs

Gala Foxes
10-04-2010, 07:47 AM
"Newcastle wanted to keep him" - don't think so

Defending Alan O'Brien ? - not for even as little as a couple of minutes did he do anything whilst at Easter Road that earned any defending.

He was a half hearted, disinterested, dispassionate, over-hyped imposter that had plenty of chances, in some cases against lower league mediocre opposition - and delivered nothing in 2 years at Easter Road.

2 years where he probably "earned" circa £ 400k to £ 500k depending on what weekly wage he was rumoured to be on.

I will watch his progress at Swindon to see if he proves me wrong

.Sean.
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
"Newcastle wanted to keep him" - don't think so

Defending Alan O'Brien ? - not for even as little as a couple of minutes did he do anything whilst at Easter Road that earned any defending.

He was a half hearted, disinterested, dispassionate, over-hyped imposter that had plenty of chances, in some cases against lower league mediocre opposition - and delivered nothing in 2 years at Easter Road.

2 years where he probably "earned" circa £ 400k to £ 500k depending on what weekly wage he was rumoured to be on.

I will watch his progress at Swindon to see if he proves me wrong

I heard 4 grand a week, surely not?

lyonhibs
10-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I heard 4 grand a week, surely not?

I've heard his weekly wage was less than that, but you won't want to know the meaty signing on fee we have him to encourage him to accept those wages.

His performance at Tynecastle, New Year 2008 (I think??) was the most cowardly, spineless performance I've ever seen in terms of physical commitment.

Up until then I'd been defending him in the face of all the evidence, but that turned it for me. As mentioned previously, an absolute bottle merchant.

Hibs90
10-04-2010, 08:39 AM
My mate met him on a night out once and tried to get some answers out him but wasn't happening. He was always out. :greengrin

(((Fergus)))
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I reckon his biggest problem was that he was afraid to get injured. Made of glass, and he knew it. Absolute bottle merchant.

I think it's the opposite - he wanted to be injured. That way he can keep dangling his 'potential' in front of gullible clubs like Hibs.

I remember his first (only?) interview with PC Stamp where PC intimated too clearly the expectations Hibs fans had of AOB. The look of terror on O'Brien's face was - in hindsight - understandable.

johnrebus
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
The player I think compares most with AOB would be Duncan Lambie.

He was at ER around 1978 - 1980 and played around twenty times or so without scoring.

IICR he was a winger with little pace or skill, didn't score goals and had the heart of a pea...........,

In fact, I hate to say it but he may have been worse than AOB.......,

:duck:

Anyone else remember him ?

Gala Foxes
10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I have this hazy memory that Duncan Lambie scored for us against Ayr Utd in the Scottish Cup on a Sunday when Georgie Best was out because he had got pissed up with the French Rugby team in The Balmoral the night before - is it a hazy memory or an illusion ?

clerriehibs
10-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I think it's the opposite - he wanted to be injured. That way he can keep dangling his 'potential' in front of gullible clubs like Hibs.

I remember his first (only?) interview with PC Stamp where PC intimated too clearly the expectations Hibs fans had of AOB. The look of terror on O'Brien's face was - in hindsight - understandable.

I think he just pretended he was injured; "injuries" simply happened to him too often, and it would seem still do to this day. He had no skill, so hated being on the pitch. He had no bottle, and so hated being on the pitch.

He had nothing, apart from a big wage; even his pace was over rated.

James70
10-04-2010, 10:51 AM
He was probably the main reason that John Collins wasn't allowed a bigger budget to bring in more players and which ultimately led to him resigning as manager. RP knows how to get rid of a manager without actually sacking him.

3pm
10-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Only great players generate 40 plus replies. Legend.

crewetollhibee
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM

He was at ER around 1978 - 1980 and played around twenty times or so without scoring.

IICR he was a winger with little pace or skill, didn't score goals and had the heart of a pea...........,

Oh Christ yeah. Lambie alway's on my list of all-time worst 'players' at ER. Along with Derek Rodier, Joe Ward, Mark Caughey and countless goalies since Leighton. I'm off for a lie down now.:shocked::shocked::shocked:

basehibby
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I was one of those that was desperately hoping for AOB to "turn the corner" and prove he "had it". After a year or so though I had to admit that he was trully hopeless. Zero vision, very little ability and worse of all, heart like a pea! Was absolutely delighted when one of Yogi's first actions at Hibs was to ditch him along with Kerr and DVZ - proving in one fell swoop that there were certain standards which had to be met at ER.

I also think AOB was a perfect example of the deficiencies in Collin's signing policy - too much emphasis on physical condition over ability.

Aubenas
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Ooh, Mr Rebus, this could be actionable!

Fair play, O'Brien underperformed, but there were two or three occasions when it was clear he had some pretensions to being a footballer.
Lambie was, without any doubt at all, the worst ever performer in a Hibs shirt. Signed cos he was John Lambie's brother, presumably (allegedly?) he was miserable as you say on the wing and was then converted to left back where he was even worse. We watched a game from the old enclosure when, at left back, he failed to even attempt a tackle in 45 minutes.

Awful doesn't even begin to describe him.:confused:

--------
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Yup. And I wish I didn't. Thank you ever so much for reminding me of him. :rolleyes:

There was also Mark Caughey - the superstar our then chairman Kenny Waugh went specially to America at no expenses spared to sign before anyone else snapped him up....

And a guy of the name of Elliot signed by Duff Jimmy who was utterly without form an void - so much so I can remember neither his first name nor what he looked like, thankfully.

And Sowumni - what was he for?

And Jim Blair - a Golden Oldie who turned out to be nothing more than iron pyrites. When he ran onto the pitch the first time I saw him, my best mate watched him in silence for about 5 minutes, then turned to me and said, "What the **** is that in the nine shirt?" I couldn't answer. I still don't know.

But I don't think ANY of those numpties were as useless and ineffectual as Mr O'Brien. Except Caughey, maybe. And Lambie. And Elliot.

Aw, they're were all freakin useless.

Diclonius
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I was one of those that was desperately hoping for AOB to "turn the corner" and prove he "had it". After a year or so though I had to admit that he was trully hopeless. Zero vision, very little ability and worse of all, heart like a pea! Was absolutely delighted when one of Yogi's first actions at Hibs was to ditch him along with Kerr and DVZ - proving in one fell swoop that there were certain standards which had to be met at ER.

I also think AOB was a perfect example of the deficiencies in Collin's signing policy - too much emphasis on physical condition over ability.

Keenan.

Mixu got rid of Kerr.

Aitchy
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Spot on. Paul Tosh was 100 times worse than AOB. Beggars belief he was ever given a professional contract.

ekhibee
10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Spot on. Paul Tosh was 100 times worse than AOB. Beggars belief he was ever given a professional contract.
I agree that Tosh was a pish player, but didn't he score in the play-off game against Airdrie at Broadwood?

Hibercelona
10-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Playing around a crock of sh*te didn't help O'Brein tbh.

He had pace and a dangerious cross, but nobody ever got on the end of them.

I think he'll do better for them when he gets his fitness back.

Gala Foxes
10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Tosh was crap but did more than Ronan Keating look-a-like A O'B at Easter Rd

clerriehibs
10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Playing around a crock of sh*te didn't help O'Brein tbh.

He had pace and a dangerious cross, but nobody ever got on the end of them.

I think he'll do better for them when he gets his fitness back.

:faf::faf::faf::faf:
the guy was never fit here, he's not been fit down therel, MY GOD that player will have "when he gets his fitness back" on his freakin headstone!!!!!

He was/is a cheat ... there was/is never any injury ... he's just a spineless waste of space!!!!!!!!!!

joe_hfc
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Had one of the best crosses i've seen at ER in years IIRC :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I simply cannot believe that this no interest thread is still running after the latest debacle at Hamilton, I'll shout now, WHO GIVES A FLYING DONALD DUCK ABOUT ALAN O'BRIEN?, did ye hear that aye? :bitchy:

MSK
10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I simply cannot believe that this no interest thread is still running after the latest debacle at Hamilton, I'll shout now, WHO GIVES A FLYING DONALD DUCK ABOUT ALAN O'BRIEN?, did ye hear that aye? :bitchy:So why ****ing add to it ya ding bat .. !!!! :confused:

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
So why ****ing add to it ya ding bat .. !!!! :confused:

Coz it was getting on ma tits!

DH1875
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM

OK I give in, where is the midfield there then? You must be of your head if you would take any of that dross back.

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
OK I give in, where is the midfield there then? You must be of your head if you would take any of that dross back.

:faf::faf::faf: WWWHHHHHOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH

Ed De Gramo
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf:
the guy was never fit here, he's not been fit down therel, MY GOD that player will have "when he gets his fitness back" on his freakin headstone!!!!!

He was/is a cheat ... there was/is never any injury ... he's just a spineless waste of space!!!!!!!!!!

Errrrrrr....no :bitchy:

boomtownhibby
12-04-2010, 07:06 PM

what excatly did he have like ? no ability , no passion . even when he gave the ball away , he showed no anger or disapointment . he was a brain-dead zombie

marinello59
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
what excatly did he have like ? no ability , no passion . even when he gave the ball away , he showed no anger or disapointment . he was a brain-dead zombie

So he managed to become a pro football player with Newcastle United despite having no talent whatsoever? Why did Tommy Craig, who had worked with him there, think he could do a job in the SPL? To say he never showed any anger or disappointment is simply untrue and your last remark is pretty tasteless. I haven't claimed he was a world beater. I do contend that if he hadn't suffered from what appeared to be a total lack of confidence he would have shown us just what he was capable of.
However if you and others are right then why direct the vitriol at the player? Surely it should be directed at those responsible for signing him?

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Swindon are on the telly just now, no sign of ivan on a motorbike, is he injured or not in favour?

boomtownhibby
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
So he managed to become a pro football player with Newcastle United despite having no talent whatsoever? Why did Tommy Craig, who had worked with him there, think he could do a job in the SPL? To say he never showed any anger or disappointment is simply untrue and your last remark is pretty tasteless. I haven't claimed he was a world beater. I do contend that if he hadn't suffered from what appeared to be a total lack of confidence he would have shown us just what he was capable of.
However if you and others are right then why direct the vitriol at the player? Surely it should be directed at those responsible for signing him?

I think of a few players who have went pro and had limited ability, he may have ability in the lowest of the low leagues. Every time I watched him he showed no anger or heart whatsoever. The blame should be solely on that imposter of a footballer . And you blame his AWFUL performances on a lack of confidence ? ? ? Lets face it he was a complete zombie on the field who was unfit to wear a hibs strip

Gus
12-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I think of a few players who have went pro and had limited ability, he may have ability in the lowest of the low leagues. Every time I watched him he showed no anger or heart whatsoever. The blame should be solely on that imposter of a footballer . And you blame his AWFUL performances on a lack of confidence ? ? ? Lets face it he was a complete zombie on the field who was unfit to wear a hibs strip

aye 11 of them were playing for us on saturday