Could this be the reason why...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8610201.stm

...we are so pish at the moment!?!

Phil D. Rolls
09-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Strikes me as a risky business, if I was a player I'd want to know where I was playing next season asap, rather than wait till the end of the season. I'm sure their agents are speaking to other clubs, and maybe some of them know they're off already?

Peevemor
09-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Strikes me as a risky business, if I was a player I'd want to know where I was playing next season asap, rather than wait till the end of the season. I'm sure their agents are speaking to other clubs, and maybe some of them know they're off already?

Possibly, but is there any harm in giving the players in question an extra incentive to pull their fingers out?

Stevie Reid
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8610201.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8610201.stm)

Don't think so - in fact, I believe that a more innocent comment from Yogi at the turn of the year, stating that very few would be leaving in the summer, is more likely to have had a negative effect, due to some players subliminally taking their foot off the pedal. Ian Murray signing his contract was one of the highlights of the season but, and it may be just a coincidence, his form has dipped since his future was secured.

If the modern day footballer can't raise their game to potentially secure a new contract/put themselves in the shop window then they're in the wrong job. Many managers continually offer players one year contracts to help keep their form up over the season.

Phil D. Rolls
09-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Possibly, but is there any harm in giving the players in question an extra incentive to pull their fingers out?

I'm sure that's how Yogi looks at it. How effective it will be will depend on what they think Hibs can offer compared to other clubs.

Peevemor
09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm sure that's how Yogi looks at it. How effective it will be will depend on what they think Hibs can offer compared to other clubs.

Also true, though the players themselves will know that if they currently earn say £2K per week and another club offers £4K, then Hibs aren't going to match that. If there's only slightly more money offered elsewhere, then they're likely to bide their time to see (a) what Hibs offer and (b) what other offers they might get.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I think Yogi's saying the right thing to try and buck some players up tbh.

It may also suggest that some won't be getting offers and Yogi's no wasting time discussing terms with players he wishes to replace.

H18sry
09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Its more likely Yogi does not want to keep any of the players who are out of contract, at the end of the season and by not telling them if they are given a chance to play they will try to impress, as opposed to being told you are not wanted and they do not give a flying one.

sleeping giant
09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Its more likely Yogi does not want to keep any of the players who are out of contract, at the end of the season and by not telling them if they are given a chance to play they will try to impress, as opposed to being told you are not wanted and they do not give a flying one.

That was my take on it too.
Anyone he wanted to keep would have been given a new deal like Murray.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Totally agree.

Jack
09-04-2010, 09:48 AM
We’ve extended the contracts of Murray and Wotherspoon so far this year – they are very import to the club and their services have been secured.

Whose contract runs out, or who’s away, in June?

Steven Thicot (I think might be 2011. Some reports said he signed a 3 year deal in 2008, other reports didn’t mention a period)
Yves Makalambay
Alan Gow
Benji
Kurtis Byrne????

TBH hardly likely to loose sleep if any of them went.

RoslinInstHibby
09-04-2010, 10:00 AM
We’ve extended the contracts of Murray and Wotherspoon so far this year – they are very import to the club and their services have been secured.

Steven Thicot (I think might be 2011. Some reports said he signed a 3 year deal in 2008, other reports didn’t mention a period)
Yves Makalambay
Alan Gow
Benji
Kurtis Byrne????

Cregg is another:agree:

J-C
09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
What I can gather from this is he's got 3-4 players out of contract, new contracts won't be offered at this moment as he want to see themm earning a new one by playing bout of their skins. If they don't prove themselves, then new players will be brought in who can do it for us, pretty straightforward really.

Andy74
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
What I can gather from this is he's got 3-4 players out of contract, new contracts won't be offered at this moment as he want to see themm earning a new one by playing bout of their skins. If they don't prove themselves, then new players will be brought in who can do it for us, pretty straightforward really.

I'd like to keep Thicot and Benji but neither are in the 'must have' category. If we have anyhting better to come in then great.

matty_f
09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I would think that those that Yogi wants to keep will have been told that they'll be offered something at the end of the season, while those he doesn't won't have.

I don't think Hibs would risk losing any players they were determined to keep by letting their contracts run down, to be honest.

HFC 0-7
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Still to risky, if the agents have gone out and said to the player, its no worries if you dont get offered a new contract here cause I have another one at a different club ready for you, then Hibs are gonna lose out.

Regardless of whether they want to play for the club or not, they may have families etc to support, so they will probably just want to make sure they have guranteed income. If hibs arent offering new contracts then I am sure they will be saying to their agents to make sure they have a club.

oconnors_strip
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Yves Makalambay
Alan Gow
Benji
Kurtis Byrne????

kurtis has another year to go, he was one of the 7 who got a first team 2 year contract last may. out of that 7 only kurtis, david wotherspoon and thomas flynn have been involved in first team squad. ewan moyes is on loan at arbroath after being at livi for a few months, lee currie and sean welsh went on loan to stenhousemuir and both got injured. patrick deane got released.

ScottB
09-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Considering we've already given Ian Murray a new contract I'm guessing those that haven't been offered one aint getting one.

Andy74
09-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Still to risky, if the agents have gone out and said to the player, its no worries if you dont get offered a new contract here cause I have another one at a different club ready for you, then Hibs are gonna lose out.

Regardless of whether they want to play for the club or not, they may have families etc to support, so they will probably just want to make sure they have guranteed income. If hibs arent offering new contracts then I am sure they will be saying to their agents to make sure they have a club.

God luck to them then.

MyJo
09-04-2010, 11:24 AM
If the players who are out of contract had proven themselves to be good enough they would have been offered extended contracts by now (Murray, Wotherspoon).

If anyone who is out of contract thinks they can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck to them because Yogi clearly thinks Hibs can attract better players if he willing to let thier contracts expire.

dangermouse
09-04-2010, 11:32 AM

If the players that are out of contract were that good they'd be in the first team and either be signed up by now or signed a pre contract with another club. As it is, no reports that I'm aware of of other teams ready to snap up our "stars".

Speedway
09-04-2010, 11:34 AM

And I'll be the taxi for any of our out of contract players that get such a deal sorted out.

Phil D. Rolls
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
And I'll be the taxi for any of our out of contract players that get such a deal sorted out.

Surely a rickshaw would be a more appropriate way to ferry them to their destination? :devil:

Andy74
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Surely a rickshaw would be a more appropriate way to ferry them to their destination? :devil:

:greengrin

Jack
09-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Jeez I thought I'd just posted my last post on the wrong thread :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 03:14 PM

That's my take on it too.

One thing he has said in the months gone by is that there may be decisions taken to let certain players go that the fans will have to trust him on. My take on that was and is that one or more of our better/more popular players might be going out of the door. Mind you, if that doesn't happen it wouldn't be the first time I've got things wrong :greengrin

Wilson
09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
That's my take on it too.

One thing he has said in the months gone by is that there may be decisions taken to let certain players go that the fans will have to trust him on. My take on that was and is that one or more of our better/more popular players might be going out of the door. Mind you, if that doesn't happen it wouldn't be the first time I've got things wrong :greengrin

If that doesn't happen it will be Yogi that has got things wrong! :wink:

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
If that doesn't happen it will be Yogi that will have got things wrong! :wink:

:greengrin

TornadoHibby
09-04-2010, 06:47 PM
FWIW Yogi told me quite recently when we touched on the matter of "player motivation, effort and commitment" that sometimes that can be a problem with players in the early stages of a (say) three or four year contract but tends not to be as the contract period reduces! :agree:

Maybe he's testing his theory in an effort to reverse the poor results trend of the last three months or so! :dunno: :wink:

greenlex
09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
How long has Hogg got left as a matter of interest?

jdships
09-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Putting aside what "advice" we the supporters are offering or thinking/hoping for etc., I would be very surprised indeed if at this time in the season Yogi doesn't know exactly who he wants to keep and who he is going to punt !
I would also be very surprised if those on the "good bye" list do not have a pretty good idea who they are !
I understand more than one or two are already "looking around" for berths for next season.
Professional football is a career with few opportunities and when one does come along it has to be taken.
There is a lot of criticsm made of agents , and quite rightly so ,but at this time of the year they earn their corn trying to find jobs foe players.

:flag:

OtterHibee
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
How long has Hogg got left as a matter of interest?

His contract expires in June 2011.

hibs0666
09-04-2010, 07:52 PM
His contract expires in June 2011.

Sell him now and we should be good for a couple of million Turkish.

Mikeystewart
09-04-2010, 08:36 PM

I think the opposite, i think the team has played alot better in the last 3 games, yes we have only won 1 and conceded 6 goals but we have played alot better and created enough chances to win the games we just havent taken them. good time to start going into the top 6.

hibeemark
09-04-2010, 08:47 PM
"I've got a vision," explained Hughes when asked about his plans to develop the squad at Easter Road.

:faf: :top marks

This. It's the kind of positive spin that managers put on bad news in any job, really. If the tactic serves to motivate an out of contract player, then all to the good. If not, then I'm sure Yogi sees it as no great loss either.

In a way though, I'm sad that this may be 'last chance saloon' for Benji. I genuinely never thought I'd see him or Zouma play in Hibs top again, while they were off on their travels, and was delighted to have both return.

And given Benji's less than gracious introduction to Yogi, it was one of those amazing emotional moments in football when he came on as a sub, scored the winning goal, and instead of celebrating after with his team-mates, he made straight for the man who had given him the second chance. :thumbsup:

Personally, I'd have been starting Benji ahead of Nish, and not allowed him to become such a fringe player, but perhaps he simply doesn't possess the form he did when John Collins was in charge, I don't know. He's looked alright this season, on the rare occasion I have seen him play.

I'm guessing Yogi is going to invest in more defenders in the summer if we stand to lose Thicot. I'm not the guy's biggest fan to be honest, but without him on the books, we might have been a bit stuck, the last few weeks. Not that it would have mattered all that much, perhaps! :coffee: