PDA

View Full Version : NHC There's only one F in Fulham

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
With all the hype that's surrounded Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal this season in relation to their European hopes and expectations I reckon Fulham's achievements have been hugely understated. They knocked out the holders Shaktar, Juve and now the reigning Bundesliga Champs Wolfsburg which is some achievement for a club living in the shadows of the others I've named.

So, well done to Fulham I say :agree:

PS: The thread title is actually the name of the Fulham Fanzine :greengrin

iwasthere1972
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
With all the hype that's surrounded Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal this season in relation to their European hopes and expectations I reckon Fulham's achievements have been hugely understated. They knocked out the holders Shaktar, Juve and now the reigning Bundesliga Champs Wolfsburg which is some achievement for a club living in the shadows of the others I've named.

Agree. A great achievement and just shows you what a good job a manager can do when allowed the time. :agree:

Well done The Cottagers. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would add that there is "No F in Hearts" according to my crystal ball. :wink:

Bristolhibby
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Does anybody, know anybody who supports Fulham?

Just curious?

Would Hibs have taken more than 2,000 to Germany for the Quarter finals of the Europa League. I think we would.

J

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Just curious?

Would Hibs have taken more than 2,000 to Germany for the Quarter finals of the Europa League. I think we would.

J

Well clearly they do have fans though I don't know any of them personally :wink:

As to their numbers, maybe the wallets had been stretched far enough having to follow the side to various European destinations :agree:

Cabbage East
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Always find it strange that folk on here care about English teams.

Edit: And aye, we would hae taken about 5 times that if we were allocated it.

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Why? I like football. I support Hibs but I enjoy watching other teams if the game's on telly. I appreciate Fulham's achievements because they are a small club but have done very well.

Them's my reasons :greengrin

iwasthere1972
08-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Just curious?

J

Wolfsburg's capacity is around 30,000 and I believe Fulham's allocation was only 2,000.

--------
08-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Yup. :agree:

The last three rounds I've been thinking, "Well, that'll be it this time. They won't beat (whoever)...." But they do.

Can't see them winning it, though.

But if you compare their financial resources, European experience and League placing....

So I agree - well done the Cottagers. Well done Roy Hodgson.

(Wasn't John Collins allegedly favourite for that job ahead of Hodgson? Talk about narrow escapes?)

J-C
08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Well done Fulham, good to see a so called lesser team punching well above their weight.:greengrin

Calvin
08-04-2010, 11:23 PM
They've become my English team, really like the club. They have done fantastically well this season in Europe, but of course their league form has suffered a bit due to this.

Catching Fulham v Wolves next week and would have seen Fulham v Stoke but they postponed it!

IWasThere2016
08-04-2010, 11:28 PM

:agree:

Didn't Roy Hodgson say he didn't really want to take part as it was a distraction from the EPL.

I note that they are lower than last season in the EPL but their fans must be loving the adventure.

Beating Juve and Wolfsburg are fantastic achievements - no doubt! :top marks

HibeeUnderwood
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Its been a really good season for Fulham :agree:

I saw them at the start of last season in a friendly match. Roy Hodgeson has really got them playing good football.

Hope they win the europa league, they really do deserve it! :agree:

--------
08-04-2010, 11:37 PM
:agree:

Didn't Roy Hodgson say he didn't really want to take part as it was a distraction from the EPL.

I note that they are lower than last season in the EPL but their fans must be loving the adventure.

Beating Juve and Wolfsburg are fantastic achievements - no doubt! :top marks

Yup. I guess he hasn't really been trying in Europe this year....

As one who has just entered his seventh decade in this world, I must say it warms the cockles of the old heart to see someone old enough to be somebody's grandad having that sort of success.

And the odd thing is, he does it all with a degree of grace and dignity beyond certain other senior football managers I could think of....

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
David diddy Hamilton, he's the most famous Fulham supporter i know, if you dont count Michael Jackson. His wig is nearly as good as Elton Johns.

Phil D. Rolls
09-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Edit: And aye, we would hae taken about 5 times that if we were allocated it.

You were doing so well too. :bitchy:

David diddy Hamilton, he's the most famous Fulham supporter i know, if you dont count Michael Jackson. His wig is nearly as good as Elton Johns.

Dennis Waterman is one (he was quite trendy in the 70s). I always thought Fulham were a kind of Londond based Partick Thistle. Celebrities could support them without upsetting anyone.

On a tangent here, but I see they still have their 19th Century pavillion in the ground. I always wonder how Airdrie were allowed to demolish theirs, I'd have thought that both were listed buildings.

col02
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Fulham a bit like Everton are a team that will earn respect as they do not overspend in comparison to others in the EPL and in Hodgson they arguably have manager of the season in the EPL. I for one hope they go on to win the thing as their manager as well as the work ethic of the team deserves the success.

SlickShoes
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Id much rather have watched Fulham on channel 5 last night. The commentators even said at the Liverpool game "they are the last hope for english football in europe this year" mean while fulham were 1 up against Wolfsburg.

Just goes to show you english big four coverage is just as annoying as our big two coverage.

I hope they win it at the expense of liverpool, shake things up a bit and get a supercup of Barca vs Fulham

.Sean.
09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I know a guy who's a Fulham fan. Travels dowm a few times a year. As for famous fans Lily Allen would count.

lyonhibs
09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Hugh Grant is a big fan apparently, and travelled to Wolfsburg.

I heard the Channel 5 commentators prattling on about Liverpol being England's only hope.

What a bunch of myopic, disrespectful pricks!!

Bristolhibby
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Well clearly they do have fans though I don't know any of them personally :wink:

As to their numbers, maybe the wallets had been stretched far enough having to follow the side to various European destinations :agree:

Wolfsburg's capacity is around 30,000 and I believe Fulham's allocation was only 2,000.

I was just making the point that they seem a poorly supported team for the Premiership.

Living down in England I know fans from pretty much every Premier team, (and alot from the other divisions).

however Fulham is the notable exception. I just dont know anyone, or know of anyone who knows any Fulham fans. it is also one of the easiest grounds to get tickets for (they have a neutral section FFS!)

Just wonder what position they would be in if it wasnt for all the millions of pounds of Sky money that is pumped into them annually.

Bolton is another one that perplexes me, smallish club yet walking through the players carpark on the way to the Hibs end at the pre-season game back in August the amount of six figure cars was astounding. You go back 30 years I would argue that Hibs were bigger than the likes of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, etc.

Guess thats the way the cookie crumbles, they happen to be in the richist league in the world so they get the bucks, regardless of the total support. Clubs rely more on TV money than the fans through the gate.

J
J

GloryGlory
09-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I was just making the point that they seem a poorly supported team for the Premiership.

Living down in England I know fans from pretty much every Premier team, (and alot from the other divisions).

however Fulham is the notable exception. I just dont know anyone, or know of anyone who knows any Fulham fans. it is also one of the easiest grounds to get tickets for (they have a neutral section FFS!)

Just wonder what position they would be in if it wasnt for all the millions of pounds of Sky money that is pumped into them annually.

Bolton is another one that perplexes me, smallish club yet walking through the players carpark on the way to the Hibs end at the pre-season game back in August the amount of six figure cars was astounding. You go back 30 years I would argue that Hibs were bigger than the likes of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, etc.

Guess thats the way the cookie crumbles, they happen to be in the richist league in the world so they get the bucks, regardless of the total support. Clubs rely more on TV money than the fans through the gate.

J
J

I visit London a few times a year and as Craven Cottage is reasonably near to where I stay I tend to go to a couple of games. It's a very friendly club - I'm struck for instance by the almost complete of lack of abusive language from around about (and I've watched matches from all three home stands) and the fact that they support their team through thick and thin. I've also noticed that away fans are tolerated in the home end, as long as they are not too loud or abusive

Although the ground has a capacity of 25k, I would say that it is not as good a ground as ER (for instance the Johnny Haynes, which like the Cottage itself is a listed building, is very similar to Tynie's main stand in both having restricted viewing and, IMO, as a potential death trap). The Riverside stand is quite good, but has very few seats that have completely unrestricted views due to pillars. The Hammersmith (behind one of the goals) is made of quite poor, cheap material (compared to ER). Once ER is complete, it will, IMO, be a superior ground.

Fulham are almost £200M in debt and obviously kept going by the generosity of Mohammed Al Fayed (although I think his ownership of the club is more a vanity thing than anything else). The feeling is that he may be there because of the development potential of the ground, and would not be averse to moving Fulham FC to another ground (shared with QPR, maybe????), if he could turn a profit on the deal.

Dunbar Hibee
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I really hope they go all the way. They have done remarkable to be honest.

Hibeebor
09-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Just curious?

J

I'm a big Fulham fan, have been since about 1998 when we were second division (or league one as it's known now).

Absolutely delerious with the Europa league run. Don't forget we also matched Roma and were unlucky not to win, another huge club. Shakhtar, Juventus, Wolfsburg... I actually think we're in with a superb shout of winning this!

johnrebus
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Always remember Spike Milligan being asked which team he supported.

He replied ' poorbloodyfulhamnochance '

Times have changed........,

Cinntwamob
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Just curious?

J

My mate used to write for the fanzine, went to a few games with him and there was one F in freezin. Lived and ref just sarf
of the river barn elms, the civil service ground and mortlake. Appy days, mon the whites;/)

The Mook
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM

J
J

Hibs are way bigger than Wigan, prob Fulham as well support wise (although their home average gate is bigger in the Prem).

We are probably similar size support wise to Bolton and Burnley. When Burnley were back in the 4th tier of English footie they got about 7000 home fans, if we somehow ended up in SFL 3 I think we would be lucky to get 5000.

In fact compared to the size of town we should be far bigger hitters than these boys but unfortunately were no

PapillonVert
09-04-2010, 09:27 PM

Well said,JB.

In fact, as a Hibee now resident in SW London, I have paid the occasional visit to the Cottage.

Actually, I have almost become a FFC supporter!

My sis is coming down for the May Bank Holiday and we are going to the game v. W Ham at the Cottage. We have been to a few games before at the Cottage.

Now as for the game v. Hamburg, my dearly beloved and I have another engagement but I am trying to persuade him to change that so that we can go. It ain't everyday you can go to a UEFA semi-final.

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Well said,JB.

In fact, as a Hibee now resident in SW London, I have paid the occasional visit to the Cottage.

Actually, I have almost become a FFC supporter!

My sis is coming down for the May Bank Holiday and we are going to the game v. W Ham at the Cottage. We have been to a few games before at the Cottage.

Now as for the game v. Hamburg, my dearly beloved and I have another engagement but I am trying to persuade him to change that so that we can go. It ain't everyday you can go to a UEFA semi-final.

Good luck with that J - a UEFA semi final would be awesome :agree:

PapillonVert
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Good luck with that J - a UEFA semi final would be awesome :agree:

John, the more I think about it the more I think it would be daft not to go!!

Even if the view is obstructed by a post as is often the case!

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 09:50 PM
John, the more I think about it the more I think it would be daft not to go!!

Even if the view is obstructed by a post as is often the case!

So, as well as being semi finalists in Europe which Hibs have been ... twice, Fulham have got their own East Stand set up too :greengrin

PapillonVert
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
So, as well as being semi finalists in Europe which Hibs have been ... twice, Fulham have got their own East Stand set up too :greengrin

Yeah, except it goes all round the ground!! (Althought I have never been in the Putney end so that could be different...).

hibee_nation
09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I know only one Fulham fan and from conversations i have had with him and he is in his 80's now is they hate Chelsea like we hate the yams and uglies rolled into one. His sons are all ST holders. They always come across as a good club to me fighting against the tide. Good luck to them in the semi. :agree:

west_didsbury_hibee
10-04-2010, 12:41 AM
I was at the home game vs Shakhtar and Fulham were lucky to win IMO. Shakhtar passed the ball much better and more incisively but couldn't make the chances count. Zamora's strike was out of this world and he should be going to the WC ahead of Heskey if Capello has got any sense.

The atmosphere at The Cottage was very subdued and wasn't helped by the choob in front of me abusing the Shakhtar players whenever they got the ball, and his party trick was when they subbed a player he would shout "WHOOOOOO????" towards the ongoing player at the top of his voice. He was a total bell end and that's being generous.

Best of luck to Fulham though, I live with a Liverpool fan and I'm enjoying seeing them suffer this season so I'd be gutted if they a) finish 4th or b) win the UEFA cup.

PapillonVert
15-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, except it goes all round the ground!! (Althought I have never been in the Putney end so that could be different...).

That's about to change as we have tickets for the UEFA Semi in the Putney End.

Apologies to all for whom this is a piece of boring nothing-ness (i.e. most of you who have not been following this thread).

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
15-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I once played at Craven Cottage. Fact. :cool2:

PapillonVert
15-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I once played at Craven Cottage. Fact. :cool2:

You once played what? :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
15-04-2010, 11:03 PM
You once played what? :thumbsup:

In a half-time American-style penalty shoot out (ie the run from the halfway line jobbie).

I missed.

PapillonVert
15-04-2010, 11:09 PM
In a half-time American-style penalty shoot out (ie the run from the halfway line jobbie).

I missed.

Ah, the truth will out. :greengrin:thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
15-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Ah, the truth will out. :greengrin:thumbsup:
It was in November 1998 so we were using the balls that they used in France '98, flew through the air so no wonder it ended up somewhere in Putney (this was in the days of the uncovered Putney End). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 12:10 AM
It was in November 1998 so we were using the balls that they used in France '98, flew through the air so no wonder it ended up somewhere in Putney (this was in the days of the uncovered Putney End). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Maybe that's why they covered the Putney End? Great story, Lancs Hibby! :thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
16-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Maybe that's why they covered the Putney End? Great story, Lancs Hibby! :thumbsup:

And just a footnote to add that in the game that took place that day, ex-Hibby Dirk Lehmann scored for Fulham in a 1-1 draw with Leigh RMI in the FA Cup :cool2:

Rory89
16-04-2010, 12:57 AM

Just curious?

J

I've noticed clubs like Fulham's awful away support in the Premiership, makes you realise the likes of Fulham are in reality total diddy clubs really who are miles ahead of the likes of the Edinburgh teams because of the money in English football. In fact a lot of teams in this season's Premiership (Portsmouth, Hull, Burnley, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke) are in reality smaller clubs than a large amount of clubs in the Championship and even League 1. It's a debate for another day but these clubs in The Premiership make me hope if the goalposts are moved for Celtic and Rangers that the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen also get out of our stale league.

Fulham being a small club makes their achievements so much more impressive, I hope they get Liverpool in the final and shaft them.

Haymaker
16-04-2010, 01:55 AM
I used to go watch Fulham around 2000-1 season, long story involving a friend and his dad. Great club and a top stadium, in fact it was the first place I ever stood in a proper standing section. I never knew what my dad went on about when he said "there isnt anything like standing at football" until we couldnt get seated tickets and had to settle for the standing and I cannot abide sitting at a game now.

Great club, genuine fans, most of whom remember only 12-15 years ago almost being out of business and gone. I used to be next to a man in his 80's who would tell me about watching WC winners and how pre-match entertainment was an opera singer in one corner belting out numbers.

I wish them luck whenever they play. With RH in charge I reckon they could sneak the EL...

heretoday
16-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I've noticed clubs like Fulham's awful away support in the Premiership, makes you realise the likes of Fulham are in reality total diddy clubs really who are miles ahead of the likes of the Edinburgh teams because of the money in English football. In fact a lot of teams in this season's Premiership (Portsmouth, Hull, Burnley, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke) are in reality smaller clubs than a large amount of clubs in the Championship and even League 1. It's a debate for another day but these clubs in The Premiership make me hope if the goalposts are moved for Celtic and Rangers that the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen also get out of our stale league.

Fulham being a small club makes their achievements so much more impressive, I hope they get Liverpool in the final and shaft them.

After this season in the SPL, I doubt the goalposts will be moving for either of the OF, far less the rest of us. Scottish football's star has never been so low.

If the OF did join the English league on merit it would be in the First Division and there's no guarantee either of them would be promoted straight away!

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2010, 09:27 AM
A funny thing happened in my only visit to craven cottage.
When i lived in St albans, my mate played in the conference for Hayes Town. They were drawn against Fulham in one of the early rounds of the FA cup at the cottage.

Fulham were in the old 3rd or 4th division as the leagues were known then, i cant quite remember which. And Hayes managed to win 3-2. My only real memory of the game, was the fulham fans chanting for the manager to leave, his name was Alan Dicks, And the sounds of DICKS OUT DICKS OUT all round the ground, was very funny indeed.:greengrin

Rory89
16-04-2010, 10:50 AM
After this season in the SPL, I doubt the goalposts will be moving for either of the OF, far less the rest of us. Scottish football's star has never been so low.

If the OF did join the English league on merit it would be in the First Division and there's no guarantee either of them would be promoted straight away!

Indeed our league is terrible, although a fair few Scottish players are doing well in The Championship and The Prem so in this hypothetical situation I'm talking about I think if we played in a league where we'd have a big more cash to spend and different, exciting opposition we'd slowly but surely do well for ourselves.

I'd rather Hibs played in the Conference or League 2 than our gash league, where we would at least have the oppurtunity to potentially achieve something. I'm sick of playing everyone 3 or 4 times a season and going to the same away grounds over and over, with no chance of ever getting higher than 3rd.

This is all irrelevant anyway as we're not English, just my opinion on the matter should it arise again.

Forza Fred
16-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Just curious?

Don;t know may who support Fulham but know someone who plays for them.

Mark Schwarzer has had a superb season in goals for them (as he did last year)

BTW..Mark is constantly reminded about the famous Edinburgh Hibees!

heretoday
16-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Indeed our league is terrible, although a fair few Scottish players are doing well in The Championship and The Prem so in this hypothetical situation I'm talking about I think if we played in a league where we'd have a big more cash to spend and different, exciting opposition we'd slowly but surely do well for ourselves.

I'd rather Hibs played in the Conference or League 2 than our gash league, where we would at least have the oppurtunity to potentially achieve something. I'm sick of playing everyone 3 or 4 times a season and going to the same away grounds over and over, with no chance of ever getting higher than 3rd.

This is all irrelevant anyway as we're not English, just my opinion on the matter should it arise again.

Yes it'd be nice to go to Eastbourne for the weekend! I'd like to see the SPL expanded to 18 teams again. Worth a try.

Sumner
16-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Fulham did what Hibs & others should have done
- got a very experienced manager, who had worked across Europe.

Compare Hodgson to our last 3: beginner, novice, tinker ... :boo hoo:

seanraff07
16-04-2010, 03:38 PM

I agree with that, theirs teams in the Championship who could still be there next season like Cardiff, Swansea, Sheffield United, Reading and Blackpool who i believe are better than the OF are and would cruise in the SPL.

heretoday
16-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree with that, theirs teams in the Championship who could still be there next season like Cardiff, Swansea, Sheffield United, Reading and Blackpool who i believe are better than the OF are and would cruise in the SPL.

The OF would get a rude awakening if they were suddenly parachuted into the Championship or First Div in England. Big, fast, tough players who are determined to make it up the ladder and are no respecters of reputation.

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 04:38 PM

they have done brilliant. great faith in the manager with no prima donnas !!

good luck to them

Ritchie
16-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Just curious?

J

fulham are my English team. Have been since they were in league one. I'm the only person I know with fulham strips. Haha

they have been quietly going about their business now for a good few seasons inproving every season.

Roy hodgson is an unbelieveable manager and it's all down to him

AgentDaleCooper
16-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Just curious?

J
i know one :greengrin

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 09:30 PM
And just a footnote to add that in the game that took place that day, ex-Hibby Dirk Lehmann scored for Fulham in a 1-1 draw with Leigh RMI in the FA Cup :cool2:

:thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, Lancs, but I remember when we were at a game earlier this year and seeing DL mentioned and photographed in the programme saying to my sister, "I didn't realise the Porn Star played for Fulham..." :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Agree with what your saying. If Fulham went back into, say League 1, they're attendances would be less than what Hibs get. They are where they are due to the money given to them by SKY from being in the EPL.

They have a wealthy owner and are in the EPL. Take away Mohammed and they'd be in League One averaging crowds of less than 10,000, having said that, they are doing better than many of the Premierships more established clubs.

LancashireHibby
16-04-2010, 11:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, Lancs, but I remember when we were at a game earlier this year and seeing DL mentioned and photographed in the programme saying to my sister, "I didn't realise the Porn Star played for Fulham..." :greengrin

Can just remember him playing with a huge amount of tape on his ears because of his ear rings and scored a cracking header - we lost the replay 2-0 (Peschisolido scored them both) and I was a ball boy for that one.

Ritchie
17-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I've got an old fulham top with this legends name on the back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Peschisolido