PDA

View Full Version : Scotlands greatest team

Pretty Boy
08-04-2010, 08:31 PM
3 ex Hibs goalkeepers out of the 4 nominees.

No wonder we moan about our goalies these days.

A case could easily be made for any of the 3 of them. Alan Rough for his changing of the 'Scottish goalie' image, Jim Leighton for his unbelievable loyalty. In the wilderness behind such talents as Nicky Walker and Bryan Gunn, came back to help us qualify for Euro 96 when Goram was awol and injured, dropped for the finals and still came back for the world cup qualifiers and to play at France 98. Andy Goram probably edges it just for being, quite frankly, world class.

Craig Gordon the 4th option, doesn't deserve the nod yet but think he could go on to be truly world class when he peaks in a few years.

Hibby Bairn
08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Good series this. What talent we had as a nation.

Gordon is on fire just now. A top keeper who will surely get a move to a bigger club soon. Arsenal? Man U? Chelsea?Overseas?

Hainan Hibs
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Technically it's 4 out of 5 as there are two Andy Goram's.

Speedy
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Good series this. What talent we had as a nation.

Gordon is on fire just now. A top keeper who will surely get a move to a bigger club soon. Arsenal? Man U? Chelsea?Overseas?

Villa will probably be looking for a keeper soon as well

500miles
08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Craig Gordon is top class, and by the time he is retired, he WILL be known as our greatest keeper ever. Jambo or not.

Then you've got Darren Fletcher, massive influence in the worlds biggest club.

Steven Fletcher will go on to bigger things to - he's too good for bottom half of the EPL, and stood out like a sore thumb against Man City.

I think Danny Wilson has all the raw talents to make it to the top as well - but the OF is no place to go out, express yourself and grow as a player. He should get out of Ibrox ASAP.

Scott Brown needs to get out of the poisonous atmosphere at Celtic too. He should be kicking on, and needs to find a club that will let him do that.

Scotland, potentially, have more to look forward to than we think.

snooky
08-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Craig Gordon is top class, and by the time he is retired, he WILL be known as our greatest keeper ever. Jambo or not.

Steven Fletcher will go on to bigger things to - he's too good for bottom half of the EPL, and stood out like a sore thumb against Man City.

I think Danny Wilson has all the raw talents to make it to the top as well - but the OF is no place to go out, express yourself and grow as a player. He should get out of Ibrox ASAP.

Scott Brown needs to get out of the poisonous atmosphere at Celtic too. He should be kicking on, and needs to find a club that will let him do that.

Poor Broony :boo hoo: What has the unwashed move done for his career? Ehhhh ....... nowt!

I feel he should have hung on till a EPL club came in for him. Not necessary the big 3 but say a team like Villa or Spurs (as a stepping stone to the top grade). I had high hopes for him. Our best home grown player since Paddy IMO.

What a waste ..... but there's still time. Parachute out of the Weege asap, Scott.

--------
08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Technically it's 4 out of 5 as there are two Andy Goram's.

:music: "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams..." :music:

:singing:

:crazy:

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Recollect Goram saying last night that he never played at a World Cup..the reason is staring you right in the face fat boy!

Future17
09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
3 ex Hibs goalkeepers out of the 4 nominees.

No wonder we moan about our goalies these days.

A case could easily be made for any of the 3 of them. Alan Rough for his changing of the 'Scottish goalie' image, Jim Leighton for his unbelievable loyalty. In the wilderness behind such talents as Nicky Walker and Bryan Gunn, came back to help us qualify for Euro 96 when Goram was awol and injured, dropped for the finals and still came back for the world cup qualifiers and to play at France 98. Andy Goram probably edges it just for being, quite frankly, world class.

Craig Gordon the 4th option, doesn't deserve the nod yet but think he could go on to be truly world class when he peaks in a few years.

Good idea for a program. :agree:

There's a book coming out in a couple of months called "Pat Stanton's Hibernian Dream Team" along a similar line, but obviously based on Hibs as opposed to Scotland. Co-written by Ted Brack who wrote "There is a Bonny Fitba Team". Foreword to the new book is by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Dorrans is also very highly rated down South, off topic perhaps, but Scot born James McCarthy is being linked to Arsenal. Perhaps similar to what Brown should have done getting in the window for a season at a smaller club.

Hibby Bairn
09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Steven Whittaker is also a footballer who I believe would thrive at a higher level and away from SPL/OF.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Steven Whittaker is also a footballer who I believe would thrive at a higher level and away from SPL/OF.

In what position? For me, he gets caught out a lot at FB at SPL level, nevermind premiership...

Speedy
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Dorrans is also very highly rated down South, off topic perhaps, but Scot born James McCarthy is being linked to Arsenal. Perhaps similar to what Brown should have done getting in the window for a season at a smaller club.

:agree: I hope he manages to make the step up next year.

howdenthehibby
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Walter Smith up for manager?What a load of Tom Kite:grr:

joe breezy
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I've been impressed by Marshall at Cardiff City, Cardiff have a few good Scottish players but Marshall in goals and Burke on the wing are the most impressive

sesoim
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM

:agree: If Levein can get the best out of us, I think we can get to the 2014 World Cup and FINALLY make it though to the 2nd round. It has to happen SOME time!

sesoim
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Recollect Goram saying last night that he never played at a World Cup..the reason is staring you right in the face fat boy!

He should have been in goal in 1990 - usual Old Firm/English League bias worked aaginst him. He wouldn't have cost us that goal that (an out of form) Leighton failed to push out against Brazil.

Ironically, Leighton (a Hibby at the time) was in great form in the 1996 Euros but Goram got the nod in spite of dropping out of squads in iffy circumstances. Then in 1998 Leighton got back in the team, but was a bit shaky after spending a less successful year at Aberdeen and cost us a goal or two.

It seems like Scottish managers just don't fancy Hibs players until they leave. :bitchy:

sesoim
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been impressed by Marshall at Cardiff City, Cardiff have a few good Scottish players but Marshall in goals and Burke on the wing are the most impressive

He's been poor for Scotland - shocking record so far (although that's not all his fault). At least we have a few other good options ahead of him.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I can never understand why Lawrie Reilly is overlooked in these things. 5 goals in 5 games against England and, Im not sure if Im making this up but does he not have one of the best goals to games ratios in Scotland international history??

Kevvy1875
11-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I can never understand why Lawrie Reilly is overlooked in these things. 5 goals in 5 games against England and, Im not sure if Im making this up but does he not have one of the best goals to games ratios in Scotland international history??

Im pretty sure it's THE best???

CraigK
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM

For the purposes of this particular show they added the caveat that it had to be players that played for Scotland from 1967. Basically, from when TV became more widespread so they could actually show them playing! Hence, unfortunately, no Famous Five members up front.

And, yes, i believe you're right:
Kenny Dalglish and Denis Law both scored 30 goals to Reilly's 22 but thye both won more caps.

erin-go-bragh87
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
For the purposes of this particular show they added the caveat that it had to be players that played for Scotland from 1967. Basically, from when TV became more widespread so they could actually show them playing! Hence, unfortunately, no Famous Five members up front.

And, yes, i believe you're right:
Kenny Dalglish and Denis Law both scored 30 goals to Reilly's 22 but thye both won more caps.

Thanks for clearing that up, I just checked the goals to games ratio thing and apparantly hes secong only to Hughie Gallacher with 22 goals in 38 games.

Its funny, when people talk about musicians that they wish they were alive to have seen like Elvis and the Beatles, I would have rather been alive to see Reilly playing for Hibs. All I have are stories that my grandad used to tell me, he still swears that no-one came close to Reilly, before or since, when it came to scoring goals!