PDA

View Full Version : Im thinking of joining the Police

HibbyAndy
08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Anyone ken how hard it is to get in?

Allant1981
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM

make sure you fill everything in exactly in the application form. I thought i had then was asked something at my second interview and i hadnt put it in my application so they wouldnt continue my application because of this. Wasnt even anything bad either.

RoslinInstHibby
08-04-2010, 02:10 PM
has any of your family been in bother with the police before?? if so it' a no no.

derekHFC
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Depends on how nice you are to Sting...

Peevemor
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM

:bitchy:

Jack
08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
has any of your family been in bother with the police before?? if so it' a no no.

I didn’t that that was the case anymore.

I used to recruit folk to an employment that was exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act [not the police]. There were offences that were considered not to be significant enough to disqualify anyone but they all had to be declared on the application. Not declaring them there, or sometimes the very minor ones could be included at the interview, meant automatic disqualification.

Having said that if someone had a string of even the most minor of offences they were out on the grounds that it showed a lack of respect for the law.

Offences that involved dishonesty, violence or theft were automatic no nos.

Allant1981
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

dont think thats the case, they didnt say anything to me when i applied and one of my family members had a criminal conviction

RoslinInstHibby
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
dont think thats the case, they didnt say anything to me when i applied and one of my family members had a criminal conviction

must have changed it then, my mate applied a few years back and in the home interview he was asked if any immediate family had been in any run ins with the police.....

Jack
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
must have changed it then, my mate applied a few years back and in the home interview he was asked if any immediate family had been in any run ins with the police.....

I know they ask, I don’t think it’s a show stopper.

HibbyAndy
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Family hasnt been in any bother with the Police (really dont see why that matters to me though?).

Ill examine and thoroughly check through my application pack.

Thanks again.

DH1875
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
It matters incase you have to nick them.

Cuiky_Hibby
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :faf:

CB_NO3
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Good banter :thumbsup:. I liked it.

HibbyAndy
08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
It matters incase you have to nick them.

Ah right ok.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :faf:

Well hello Keith, Thanks for your civilised response
:greengrin

Might nick you stealing the pick and mix :hilarious

H18sry
08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Do they advertise for dedicated mail-room staff? :faf::faf:

Chuckie
08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Judging by the sound of the mumbling, stutterring prick I've been dealing with recently regarding some nuisance phone calls, I should think you'd be Chief Super in 2-3 years Andy..

ArabHibee
08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Can't be bothered quoting everyone but it does still matter if someone in your family has been in bother with the police.

I know someone very recently who was knocked back because of this even though they have not seen the said member of family for over 10 years!

Chuckie
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Can't be bothered quoting everyone but it does still matter if someone in your family has been in bother with the police.

I know someone very recently who was knocked back because of this even though they have not seen the said member of family for over 10 years!

How's the job search going ?

Allant1981
09-04-2010, 06:51 AM

Well i had my interviews only about 6 months ago so my application was approved and nothing was said about my family member

Woody1985
09-04-2010, 08:50 AM
If it's really the case that people with criminal convictions are knocked back from the Police it makes a mockery of the whole 'justice' system where rehabilitation is constantly bleated on about.

So you can become a normal member of society again and be a law abiding citizen but because of something that may have happened X amount of years ago you can't get in.

FWIW, I do think that there should be a time bar, say 3-5 years since your last conviction.

Does this type of thing apply to the fire service or ambulance crews?

Darth Hibbie
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
If it's really the case that people with criminal convictions are knocked back from the Police it makes a mockery of the whole 'justice' system where rehabilitation is constantly bleated on about.

So you can become a normal member of society again and be a law abiding citizen but because of something that may have happened X amount of years ago you can't get in.

FWIW, I do think that there should be a time bar, say 3-5 years since your last conviction.

From someone I know who worked for the recruiting department of a police force only convictions for crimes of violence and drugs would be an automatic bar. For anything else time and circumstances would be considered.

oconnors_strip
09-04-2010, 10:47 AM
they do a full health check as you will know, but if you have any underlying or previous conditions/health problems they will want to get the full extense of it, even if it was from childhood.

good luck with it and hope you are successful!

.Sean.
09-04-2010, 11:15 AM
If you were to get in, do you reckon you could turn a blind eye to a pished young lad having a pee in the early hours when staggering home from a night out?

Folk complain about having to pay 20 pence to use the bogs at Waverley... Wait until you're fined £40 for pishing when you can see your house on the horizon. Didn't know wether to laugh or cry.

Allant1981
09-04-2010, 11:29 AM
they do a full health check as you will know, but if you have any underlying or previous conditions/health problems they will want to get the full extense of it, even if it was from childhood.

good luck with it and hope you are successful!

yip they certainly will:boo hoo:

oconnors_strip
09-04-2010, 05:08 PM
yip they certainly will:boo hoo:

sadly thats why i couldnt join:boo hoo:

ArabHibee
09-04-2010, 06:42 PM
How's the job search going ?

Fine, thanks. The search is now over. :greengrin

Well i had my interviews only about 6 months ago so my application was approved and nothing was said about my family member

Think it depends what said member of family has been convicted of and how long ago.

greenlex
09-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Judging by the sound of the mumbling, stutterring prick I've been dealing with recently regarding some nuisance phone calls, I should think you'd be Chief Super in 2-3 years Andy..

Stop making the calls Chuckie and you wouldnt need to deal with the mumbling stutterer. :greengrin

Steve-O
10-04-2010, 09:51 AM
From someone I know who worked for the recruiting department of a police force only convictions for crimes of violence and drugs would be an automatic bar. For anything else time and circumstances would be considered.

Drink-driving, for some reason, is a specific offence that will automatically exclude you too.

Phil D. Rolls
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM

You should sail through the tests mate. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
11-04-2010, 08:45 AM
You should sail through the tests mate. :greengrin

DH1875
11-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Think you are missing the point. For example if your brother is known to be the local drug dealer how can they let you join up. Will you be willing to pass on info about him and his mates? Even worse would you be able to go out and lift him?
What if there was going to be a raid and it all went wrong and he got away? Who do you think would be the first person to get the funny looks and would they be right??? There are so many scenarios that it's not worth the hassle.

Woody1985
11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Think you are missing the point. For example if your brother is known to be the local drug dealer how can they let you join up. Will you be willing to pass on info about him and his mates? Even worse would you be able to go out and lift him?
What if there was going to be a raid and it all went wrong and he got away? Who do you think would be the first person to get the funny looks and would they be right??? There are so many scenarios that it's not worth the hassle.

I think you're missing the point, I never mentioned anything about relatives....

Teo10
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Did you apply for it Andy?

Any news?

HibbyAndy
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Did you apply for it Andy?

Any news?

Cheers for asking mate :aok:

You need a driving license and i dont have one, everything else i sailed through.

Not to be huh, Would a made a cracking Polisman tae.

jabis
01-06-2010, 03:16 PM

You need a driving license and i dont have one, everything else i sailed through.

Give's a PM if you decide to get one :greengrin

Wilson
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Flat feet and long arms? :wink:

H18sry
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Not to be huh, Would a made a cracking Postman tae.

Sorted :greengrin

HibbyAndy
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Give's a PM if you decide to get one :greengrin

Sorted :greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a crackin Postie :cool2:

Nae fannying aboot when im oot and aboot :greengrin

MSK
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Not to be huh, Would a made a cracking Polisman tae.:faf:....sorry mate ...:greengrin

HibbyAndy
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
:faf:....sorry mate ...:greengrin

Aye right K!! :greengrin

Toaods
01-06-2010, 11:17 PM

:faf: Picture the scen in Court Room 1 as PC Plod enters the witness box.

"aye your Highness, ahve goat ma notes here on page 10 of mah Ladbrokes diary 2010. This fannybaws was being a wide-o so ah said tae him "Listen up Yam twat and listen up good. ANy more grief fae you about Kevin Kyle going to the Lionel Barts and you'll be nicked. Good and proper mah old son. By the way I'm going to let you go on this occassion and give you a wee bit advice..... Walcott for most valuable player at the World Cup Finals in SouthHouse this year."

HibbyAndy
02-06-2010, 09:35 AM
:faf: Picture the scen in Court Room 1 as PC Plod enters the witness box.

"aye your Highness, ahve goat ma notes here on page 10 of mah Ladbrokes diary 2010. This fannybaws was being a wide-o so ah said tae him "Listen up Yam twat and listen up good. ANy more grief fae you about Kevin Kyle going to the Lionel Barts and you'll be nicked. Good and proper mah old son. By the way I'm going to let you go on this occassion and give you a wee bit advice..... Walcott for most valuable player at the World Cup Finals in SouthHouse this year."

:hilarious

:top marks:greengrin

Teo10
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone else on here been past the stage where you submit your application?

Riordans Boots
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Get yersel a bike Andy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScbTHZ9yfQ

Pete
05-06-2010, 10:59 PM

I got to the "home visit" stage. This is where the recruitment guy comes round and has a sort of informal chat and asks you questions to see if you are suitable. I gave nothing but honest answers and a few of them were "wrong". One scenario was "what would you do if two of you attended a mass brawl at a pub and you saw one guy getting leathered?"
I said "My first reaction would be to protect the guy".
He said "wrong...we don't get paid enough to do that...and it might inflame the situation"
I thought to myself "Aye, OK...but how could you live with yourself if that guy got kicked to death and you did nothing??"
He told me to get my answers right next time...but it made me ask myself questions about wether I actually was suitable and I didn't contact them again...effectively withdrawing my application.

It was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made given the hard work I had put into it beforehand. Previously I had passed the mental tests but actually failed the physical. However, the guys liked the cut of my jib during the process so they put me through.
If you ever get to the physical test stage go with a smile on your face, encourage others like you've known them for years. Be serious but do things like nudge people if they break the rules like putting their hands in their pockets.

The rest of the people I was with during the assesment had absolutely zero personality. They were like robots and I couldn't believe how clenched they were. They want people who have lived a little and know how to communicate effectivley on all levels but I saw no evidence of that in any of them. People say policemen are ******s and seeing their recruitment process first hand I realise that a lot of them actually are...and it's nothing to do with them being that way becasue the job has made them like that.

If you're thinking of applying then go for it. Just be yourself and see what happens.

But don't be too honest and say you just like the pension and the birds think the uniform is the business.

Just Jimmy
05-06-2010, 11:27 PM

aye.

LamontHFC©
06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
aye.

Teo10
07-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I got to the "home visit" stage. This is where the recruitment guy comes round and has a sort of informal chat and asks you questions to see if you are suitable. I gave nothing but honest answers and a few of them were "wrong". One scenario was "what would you do if two of you attended a mass brawl at a pub and you saw one guy getting leathered?"
I said "My first reaction would be to protect the guy".
He said "wrong...we don't get paid enough to do that...and it might inflame the situation"
I thought to myself "Aye, OK...but how could you live with yourself if that guy got kicked to death and you did nothing??"
He told me to get my answers right next time...but it made me ask myself questions about wether I actually was suitable and I didn't contact them again...effectively withdrawing my application.

It was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made given the hard work I had put into it beforehand. Previously I had passed the mental tests but actually failed the physical. However, the guys liked the cut of my jib during the process so they put me through.
If you ever get to the physical test stage go with a smile on your face, encourage others like you've known them for years. Be serious but do things like nudge people if they break the rules like putting their hands in their pockets.

The rest of the people I was with during the assesment had absolutely zero personality. They were like robots and I couldn't believe how clenched they were. They want people who have lived a little and know how to communicate effectivley on all levels but I saw no evidence of that in any of them. People say policemen are ******s and seeing their recruitment process first hand I realise that a lot of them actually are...and it's nothing to do with them being that way becasue the job has made them like that.

If you're thinking of applying then go for it. Just be yourself and see what happens.

But don't be too honest and say you just like the pension and the birds think the uniform is the business.

Thanks peter, Much appreciated!:thumbsup:

Darth Hibbie
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks peter, Much appreciated!:thumbsup:

Teo

Things have changed a good bit recently and L&B have teamed up with other forces to centralise recruitment.

All the details here

http://www.tulliallan.police.uk/recruitment/index.html

It would appear that the home interview is no longer part of it.

Teo10
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Teo

Things have changed a good bit recently and L&B have teamed up with other forces to centralise recruitment.

All the details here

http://www.tulliallan.police.uk/recruitment/index.html

It would appear that the home interview is no longer part of it.

Ah, I actually read that last week!

Just finished off my application, going to check it over once more before sending it off tonight!

Lucius Apuleius
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
And one of the instructors at Tulliallan is a good Hibby:wink:

Removed
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
What do you potential polismen think of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife/10256026.stm)?

Riordans Boots
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Whta do you potential polismen think of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife/10256026.stm)?

What :dunno:

HibbyAndy
08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
What do you potential polismen think of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife/10256026.stm)?

It warns against pensioners being called "old biddies" or gay people "batting for the other side".
:hilarious :hilarious

Oops i shouldnt really be laughing :nerd: