PDA

View Full Version : Media Hibs v Man Utd 1981

Billy McKirdy
07-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Just found this on YouTube :greengrin

YouTube - Hibs 1-1 Manchester United October 1981 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsUUwTELxnk)

Iggy Pope
07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Amazing footage.
:top marks
I remember standing in the Vickie Bar the night before with word still getting round that the game was going to happen!
Hastily arranged right enough but it was a great day.

I recall Shades bursting Bryan Robson in front of the Cooshed - think that was just the start of Robson's recurring collar bone problem.

I also thought that Willie Jamieson was set for stardom.....sadly not. He ended up at Hertz!

I still have the SundayPost report cutting from that game.
'Stick A Feather In That Cap, Bertie' ran the headline......

Peevemor
07-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Since when was Boxing Day in October?

oldbutdim
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Amazing footage.
:top marks
I remember standing in the Vickie Bar the night before with word still getting round that the game was going to happen!
Hastily arranged right enough but it was a great day.

I recall Shades bursting Bryan Robson in front of the Cooshed - think that was just the start of Robson's recurring collar bone problem.
I also thought that Willie Jamieson was set for stardom.....sadly not. He ended up at Hertz!

I still have the SundayPost report cutting from that game.
'Stick A Feather In That Cap, Bertie' ran the headline......

I recall that too - it was Robson who attempted to flatten Erich and he simply stood his ground and gave Robson a wee nudge - which had Robson thinking he'd run into a brick wall which had then exploded! As you say - I like to think that was the start of his dodgy shoulder too.
:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I recall that too - it was Robson who attempted to flatten Erich and he simply stood his ground and gave Robson a wee nudge - which had Robson thinking he'd run into a brick wall which had then exploded! As you say - I like to think that was the start of his dodgy shoulder too.
:greengrin

Big Ron hooked his prize asset shortly after that.

What about the bounce in the enclosure after the goal? It's time they let us bring out half bottles to the game again.

Jonnyboy
07-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Derek Rodier faces Man U :greengrin

Anyone hear the choir? Soldiers song I believe :bitchy: Glad that pish is well gone now :agree:

Ringothedog
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Since when was Boxing Day in October?

Never...the game was played on the 26th of December. I took the first Mrs D to that game. Just a little aside if you listen to the crowd we were singing the "soldiers song" ....how times have changed, but for the better ? I dont know. We have so few songs that we sing now.:wink:

Jonnyboy
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Anyone hear the choir? Soldiers song I believe :bitchy: Glad that pish is well gone now :agree:

Never...the game was played on the 26th of December. I took the first Mrs D to that game. Just a little aside if you listen to the crowd we were singing the "soldiers song" ....how times have changed, but for the better ? I dont know. We have so few songs that we sing now.:wink:

Snap :greengrin

Peevemor
07-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Snap :greengrin

What? You took his ex Mrs to the match an' a'? :confused:

Jonnyboy
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
What? You took his ex Mrs to the match an' aw?

Was waiting on that response :faf:

Peevemor
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Was waiting on that response :faf:

Keep setting them up ... :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
07-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Keep setting them up ... :thumbsup:

I'll do my best :greengrin

Ringothedog
07-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Part of our history my man as well as our growing up. I remember singing songs like that on a British legion bus ffs. Times change etc etc

Phil D. Rolls
07-04-2010, 10:06 PM

There are some on here claim we never sang sectarian songs. I suppose it could have been Smellies taking in a game cos their's was off. Aye that'll be it. :bitchy:

Ringothedog
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
oh we did and loud and proud, but as I said times change and we grew up!!

marinello59
07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
There are some on here claim we never sang sectarian songs. I suppose it could have been Smellies taking in a game cos their's was off. Aye that'll be it. :bitchy:

How many supporters of a certain age have claimed that? They'll be the ones also denying that they ever fancied Lesley Judd.:agree:

Ringothedog
07-04-2010, 10:13 PM
How many supporters of a certain age have claimed that? They'll be the ones also denying that they ever fancied Lesley Judd.:agree:

Is it not amazing how those of a certain vintage can remember all those songs being sung but a loads try to deny it. THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE DID SING IRISH REBEL SONGS BUT AS I SAID I THINK WE GREW UP!!

marinello59
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Is it not amazing how those of a certain vintage can remember all those songs being sung but a loads try to deny it. THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE DID SING IRISH REBEL SONGS BUT AS I SAID I THINK WE GREW UP!!

Exactly. The Old Firm will argue it can't be stopped. It can. WE did it.

Ringothedog
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Lesley Judd ? cant remember her :fibber: or was that something else geting bigger:confused:

iwasthere1972
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
oh we did and loud and proud, but as I said times change and we grew up!!

:agree: Some of us were also quite young and only joined in to be polite.

ahibby
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
:agree: Some of us were also quite young and only joined in to be polite.

Exactly. It wasn't to do with sectarianism it was only the fashion in those days. In the seventies I was at a Hibs v Celtic game standing in the Celtic end because teenagers from Musselburgh were stupid like that. I found myself standing between a Celtic fan and a Rangers fan, jeez; I didn't join in any fashionable songs that day.

IWasThere2016
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Exactly. The Old Firm will argue it can't be stopped. It can. WE did it.

:agree:

We battered them that day :thumbsup:

I recall it being absolutely freezing. I'd my pyjamas on under the wooly jersey, cords and big green parka!

Gettin' Auld
08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
:agree:

We battered them that day :thumbsup:

I recall it being absolutely freezing. I'd my pyjamas on under the wooly jersey, cords and big green parka!
:cool2:

Phil D. Rolls
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM

A few mad men have tried to rewrite history. Was more a Val Singleton man myself. :wink:

Those denying it are the ones who will never grow up and have convinced themselves if they something long enough that it will be true. They know who they are.

Hillsidehibby
08-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I dont think I have ever felt so cold at a game. Had to leave mid way through the second half. A few medicinal whiskies in Middletons soon warmed me up.