PDA

View Full Version : 4G Pitch at Easter Road

Woody70x2
07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8607191.stm

Just read the article on the BBC website... what do the Hibs fans think?

4G pitch at Easter Road or GRASS?

cwilliamson85
07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Would go for it.

BUT has to be done right and not on the cheap!

Gatecrasher
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
IIRC this sort of thing was said about the Dunfermline Pitch at the time

It's probably the best artificial surface I have ever played on," said the 27-year-old.
"You can pass the ball about well and, although some players do moan about it, I have no problem with it.
"If you can play football then this surface is ideal."

This was the Result

After two seasons, however, that pitch was ripped up after a number of problems

Im not against an 4G pitch as long as its as good as the real thing and saves the club money (which its ultimately designed to do) :agree:

ScottB
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Ian Rush looks REALLY sinister in that photo.

Mikey
07-04-2010, 12:07 PM
If the SPL want to run a test they can install it at ER and Hibs will try it out.

They're paying of course :wink:

Cocaine&Caviar
07-04-2010, 12:08 PM
We'll have an edge as when Garry O'Connor comes back, he'll have experience of it :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
5g is the best fully synthetic surface available at the minute..

Spartans have a full size 5g pitch down at Ainslie Park which I've played on a few times and it's excellent..

However, slide tackling isn't really a good idea on these parks and the worry of introducing these pitches throughout our game is that FIFA will then get their way and start banning slide tackling all together..

There is pitch which is a combination of grass and synthetic material which is available but I believe that costs a lot to install and to maintain..

You just can't beat a lush grass surface though :top marks

steviecarnie
07-04-2010, 12:10 PM
would it not be better to get a 5g pitch? may as well get top of the range. Personally id be infavour of desso. expensive but just look at how good the pitches that have it are, and cant get hit with the excuse of unfair advantage.

HFC 0-7
07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I am in 2 minds about these pitches, yes they will enable hibs to go and play decent football, but they will still have to play half their games on tattie fields. My worry is that they would get to dependant on the ER pitch and they would start to play very badly away from home.

Leith Green
07-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Please no, never!!

Hibs On Tour
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Would it no be better just to get a grass pitch and have it maintained so it doesn't turn into a bloody slagheap? Only seems to have been the past 2/3 years that our pitch has been so bad.

As others have said, this is sadly not going to be determined by what is best for playing football on - its going to be decided by what can be used to generate the most money from. For me, all-weather and artificial pitches have their use at clubs in letting players train year-round. They aren't playing surfaces for competitive matches however as you need to adapt your play to them [no slide tackles if you like the default look of skin over your bones for example]

And if it were ever to happen, it should be the absolute top-of-the-pile stuff we put down to minimise the downside so wouldn't be 4G in this instance it would be 5G. In a year's time it'll probably 6G and 7G - do we upgrade each year?

Phil MaGlass
07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Thing is with all our players complaining about our pitch and many saying that is why we are struggling at the moment,it would mean them having to put up or shutup.It would be smooth,no bumps no excuses,now that would be worth seeing.

Hibby D
07-04-2010, 12:41 PM
You just can't beat a lush grass surface though :top marks

Absolutely! But the chancs of that happening consistently throughout the season is nil.

Our shiny new pitch, due to be laid during the close season, will only be shiny new and lush until some eejit starts playing football on it :greengrin

hibsbollah
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Grass everytime. All you need is to employ a fulltime groundsman who knows what he's doing.

Alternatively, invest in about 10,000 of these at £20 a pop and you have a nice ready made 'best pitch in the UK':agree:
http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/football-gifts/grow-your-own-emirates-pitch.htm (http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/football-gifts/grow-your-own-emirates-pitch.htm)

Hibs On Tour
07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I've always wondered why Subbeteo don't produce a 1:1 scale pitch that clubs could just roll out... :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
5G is horrible for slide tackling, we need to get that surface that Arsenal have.

Antifa Hibs
07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
You defo get more off a bounce on the Spartans 5G pitch than grass. And as someone else has said slide tackling is a nightmare, unless its raining then its fine.

Grass all the way for me though...

vahibbie
07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Absolutely! But the chancs of that happening consistently throughout the season is nil.

Our shiny new pitch, due to be laid during the close season, will only be shiny new and lush until some eejit starts playing football on it :greengrin

Have we arranged a friendly against Barca or Arsenal :devil:

Speedway
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Can we get a Warren G pitch?

Hibs On Tour
07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
What about getting this bad boy in to replace Tam?

YouTube - Playing Through (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxcmpR1GQA)

:greengrin

Caversham Green
07-04-2010, 01:08 PM
This is Readings "Desso" pitch - doesn't look that lush does it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8595451.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8595451.stm)

TBF it seems to play better than it looks and doesn't cut up as much as plain grass - that pitch has had a full season of football and rugby on it and that was Readings 6th home game in 28 days.

CheesyHibby
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
of course a plastic pitch wouldn't be necessary if we switched to summer football in this country, but that smells of a thread hi-jack.

plastic pitches do have their merits (more income, decent surface etc) but im afraid im a bit of a traditionalist so as we canny afford this desso halfwayhoose its a no for me.

col02
07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
of course a plastic pitch wouldn't be necessary if we switched to summer football in this country, but that smells of a thread hi-jack.

plastic pitches do have their merits (more income, decent surface etc) but im afraid im a bit of a traditionalist so as we canny afford this desso halfwayhoose its a no for me.

It is not really thread hijack as play football in the months when the weather is condusive to grass growing and you do not have a problem.

Virginia Hibs
07-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I was actually sitting in the stand on Monday at Carrow Road and comparing the state of the pitch with ER. To my mind a plastic pitch is a no no however going down the Desso route must be the most favoured option.

Off to buy a lottery ticket for the night and Friday :thumbsup: Just to help the Hibs likes, no for personal gain or anything :wink:

HenryMonk
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
We'll have an edge as when Garry O'Connor comes back, he'll have experience of it :greengrin

has he? do birmingham play on it? cos CSKA installed it after he left mocba. england played on it last year and of cousre tha champs league final was there last year.

KiddA
07-04-2010, 03:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8607191.stm

Just read the article on the BBC website... what do the Hibs fans think?

4G pitch at Easter Road or GRASS?

Im not sure, we have the same surfaces here in Florida. I spoke to one of the clubs that go it done and they said it costs the same as a grass field in the long run as they do have to get it replaced after a few years.

HenryMonk
07-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Im not sure, we have the same surfaces here in Florida. I spoke to one of the clubs that go it done and they said it costs the same as a grass field in the long run as they do have to get it replaced after a few years.

yeah but they dont have to dig it up 2/3 times a year wi emergency repairs. floridas weather is alot different from scotlands.

StevieC
07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
The Hybrid System mentioned is used by quite a few teams in England .. see here - "DESSO GRASSMASTER" (http://www.dessosports.com/en/desso-grassmaster/what-is-desso-grassmaster/)

Because the natural grass is still vulnerable to weather conditions and wear it can have an affect on the surface but it is estimated that Grassmaster will extend the life of a pitch about 4 times .. meaning it should see out a full season quite easily before the close season allows the pitch to be "rejunenated" during the summer.

basehibby
07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Other SPL clubs' pitches are in a much worse state even than ER (Motherwell, Aberdeen...) - so let them be the guineepigs.

A nice lush new grass pitch to go with the new East Stand next season please :thumbsup:

cocopops1875
07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
has he? do birmingham play on it? cos CSKA installed it after he left mocba. england played on it last year and of cousre tha champs league final was there last year.

yeah he has as a fair few of the away fixtures would have been on 3g:wink:

--------
07-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Ian Rush looks REALLY sinister in that photo.

What sort of grass is he actually endorsing there?

I'd be all for it, provided - as was said in post #2 - we don't do it on the cheap. A top quality synthetic pitch would be an advantage to us - it's adapted to a passing style of game and remains consistent throughout the season.

I know of no convincing arguments against the best synthetic pitches nowadays.

noseyhibby
07-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm totally in favour of football bringing itself into the 21st century and introducing artificial surfaces right across the footballing world. Spectators are being fleeced and ripped off by having to endure sub-standard performances brought down to pub team level on quagmire/mud-heap beaches every single winter. It took a long time for Hibs to bring their stadium up to a decent level, now get it right on the pitch. To heck with the sliding tackle nonsense. Footballers will adapt and better themselves technically on pitches devoid of potholes, divots and mud-pools. Bring it on I say.

noseyhibby
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I know of no convincing arguments against the best synthetic pitches nowadays.

Hear hear. Well said and true!:agree:

noseyhibby
07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
5G is horrible for slide tackling, we need to get that surface that Arsenal have.

Players will adapt to artificial surfaces through necessity and become better, technical players in the process. The sliding tackles argument is weak and really does not stand up to close scrutiny. I'm not familiar with Arsenal's surface but if it's synthetic and allows all-year round football, and I mean football and not hoofball, then I would be in favour of Hibs bringing it to ER.

Deek01
07-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I played with Alloa for the last 2 previous seasons on their artificial pitch. I think it's the way forward, players are able to pass the ball easily and slide no problem.

HibbyKeith
07-04-2010, 04:53 PM
The stuff that arsenal use does look very impressive, but they also have the artificial lighting rig that you sometimes see post matches on the tv.

It would be a heck of alot of money for hibs to install but the cost is in the initial purchase rather than the upkeep.

the Q&A from the official website does say the following :

"The costs per hour of play on artificial turf are considerably lower than for natural grass, as a result of cheaper, less intensive maintenance, the possibility for multifunctional use and the constant availability for play, artificial turf offers a higher ‘return’".

Would be fantastic to see a surface like that of the emirates at easter road.

all we need now is for me to win Euro Millions on friday and i'll be right down to speak to mr petrie :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
07-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I played with Alloa for the last 2 previous seasons on their artificial pitch. I think it's the way forward, players are able to pass the ball easily and slide no problem.

Who do you play for now :hmmm:

:hnet: :wink:

--------
07-04-2010, 05:02 PM

:agree: The Dunfermline pitch was experimental - one of six different types of pitch installed at UEFA's expense - the others were in Austria, Russia, Sweden, Turkey and the Netherlands. The pars IIRC got the worst of the lot; there's no doubt that it wasn't fit for purpose and that it had the potential to cause injury. Some of that, however, was down to the fact that most SPL players were still playing week by week on grass pitches - the EEP pitch was totally different from the rest of the pitches in the SPL.

If ALL the SPL teams installed similar pitches, that problem wouldn't arise. Players would be playing on consistently true surfaces throughout the League. Teams would be encouraged by the surface they were playing on to play passing football. Games wouldn't need to be called off for pitch conditions.

Modern synthetic pitches are very, very good indeed.

Much better - and much more adaptable - than grass.

offshorehibby
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I have went for undecided, leaning towards yes. We would have to prove or test it somewhere to prove it was the way to go.
The half & half mix, grass & and a synthetic weave might be a way ahead.

steviecarnie
07-04-2010, 05:13 PM
does anyone know what the deal would be with underground heating on a plastic pitch? Im guessing we would still need it incase like last winters ridiculous weather returns and the pitch freezes. Would these pitches be able to handle this?

HibbyKeith
07-04-2010, 05:21 PM
:agree: The Dunfermline pitch was experimental - one of six different types of pitch installed at UEFA's expense - the others were in Austria, Russia, Sweden, Turkey and the Netherlands. The pars IIRC got the worst of the lot; there's no doubt that it wasn't fit for purpose and that it had the potential to cause injury.

:agree:

I played at East End park on that very "experimental" pitch, have to say i thought it was a nightmare, very hard underfoot, it was also raining and any balls over the top were a complete waste, took about 3 bounces before the ball started to even turn, imagine a skimming stone! needed a bloody rocket pack to catch the ball.

iirc graham stack couldnt train for a few days this season as we were on the artificial pitch in the barn and there were fears that it would aggravate his injury.

would like to think that the new pitches have advanced considerably since, but im not too sure about a 100% artificial pitch at easter road, if not the arsenal route then its grass all the way for me.

--------
07-04-2010, 05:22 PM
does anyone know what the deal would be with underground heating on a plastic pitch? Im guessing we would still need it incase like last winters ridiculous weather returns and the pitch freezes. Would these pitches be able to handle this?

CSKA Moscow have one. Can't see that freezing weather would be a problem.

--------
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
:agree:

I played at East End park on that very "experimental" pitch, have to say i thought it was a nightmare, very hard underfoot, it was also raining and any balls over the top were a complete waste, took about 3 bounces before the ball started to even turn, imagine a skimming stone! needed a bloody rocket pack to catch the ball.

iirc graham stack couldnt train for a few days this season as we were on the artificial pitch in the barn and there were fears that it would aggravate his injury.

would like to think that the new pitches have advanced considerably since, but im not too sure about a 100% artificial pitch at easter road, if not the arsenal route then its grass all the way for me.

TBF that was one of six different kinds of synthetic, and it was IIRC the one that proved the worst of the bunch.

I would agree that the sort of pitch Arsenal have would probably be the way to go if we could afford it. It seems to offer all the advantages of sythetic, without the drawbacks. :agree:

But I'd have no worries about a proper, top-grade sythetic.

StevieC
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I think it's the way forward, players are able to pass the ball easily and slide no problem.

Really??

I've not come across an astro-turf pitch yet that doesn't remove skin in a sliding tackle.
:rolleyes:

Maybe it's just my tackles though? They do start about 10 yeards away from where I make contact right enough.

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Just watched that piece on 4/5G pitches on the news, and i have to say it looked good. It looked as near grass as i have ever seen, In scotland, we only get good quality pitches for a bout 3-4 months at most. This new pitch although not grass, will give a good surface, every week, every month, every season, 7 days a week. I cant argue against it.

noseyhibby
07-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Good to hear from one in the know.
Are you still playing?

noseyhibby
07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Just watched that piece on 4/5G pitches on the news, and i have to say it looked good. It looked as near grass as i have ever seen, In scotland, we only get good quality pitches for a bout 3-4 months at most. This new pitch although not grass, will give a good surface, every week, every month, every season, 7 days a week. I cant argue against it.

Another heartening post. Well said.:agree:
It would be great if the powers that be and traditionalists accepted the inevitability of going the artificial route.

Jones28
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Think this is what they have in the Aberdeen Sports village, and it is amazing :agree::thumbsup:

Mikeystewart
07-04-2010, 08:29 PM
The state of the pitches this season leads me to believe if the SPL aren't going to go for a summer football format, 4G pitch seems the only other option. The team haven't performed well in the last few months and i believe that could be partly put down deterioration over the winter leading to the state of Scottish pitches. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember the pitch being like what it is now at the start of the season.

marinello59
07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Think this is what they have in the Aberdeen Sports village, and it is amazing :agree::thumbsup:

That is the best synthetic surface I have set foot on. It still isn't as good as grass though.

Big Frank
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
The Hybrid System mentioned is used by quite a few teams in England .. see here - "DESSO GRASSMASTER" (http://www.dessosports.com/en/desso-grassmaster/what-is-desso-grassmaster/)

Because the natural grass is still vulnerable to weather conditions and wear it can have an affect on the surface but it is estimated that Grassmaster will extend the life of a pitch about 4 times .. meaning it should see out a full season quite easily before the close season allows the pitch to be "rejunenated" during the summer.

This is the way forward.

Franck is God
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I played on the Dunfermline pitch and it was little more than a green carpet with pitch markings on it which is why it was so heavily criticised.

The 'Desso' pitch at Arsenal is only so good because they use those lighting rigs on it all year round which must cost a fortune, far beyond anything Hibs could afford.

I will agree that playing on a perfect grass pitch is always the best option but realistically given our climate and the strangely arranged fixtures we currently have we are lucky if our pitch will be in this condition for more than a quarter of our games.

Having a top of the line artificial pitch will be expensive to fit but once in it offers so much more. Other than giving us an excellent surface to play on for the whole season the ground could be used out of season giving much needed extra revenue sources.

For me this should be a serious consideration for all teams in Scotland.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I played on the Dunfermline pitch and it was little more than a green carpet with pitch markings on it which is why it was so heavily criticised.

The 'Desso' pitch at Arsenal is only so good because they use those lighting rigs on it all year round which must cost a fortune, far beyond anything Hibs could afford.

I will agree that playing on a perfect grass pitch is always the best option but realistically given our climate and the strangely arranged fixtures we currently have we are lucky if our pitch will be in this condition for more than a quarter of our games.

Having a top of the line artificial pitch will be expensive to fit but once in it offers so much more. Other than giving us an excellent surface to play on for the whole season the ground could be used out of season giving much needed extra revenue sources.

For me this should be a serious consideration for all teams in Scotland.

Is that true? I have no idea what it costs to buy or run those lights,:dunno: but would they not only have to be on during the winter months?

Woody1985
08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Are the 5s pitches at Portie 5g?

Those are by far the best artificial pitches I've played on, and I include the full size pitch at Spartans, but in the rain it is still quite slidey underfoot. It has a more natural bounce than the Spartans pitch as well.

If it had to be artificial I'd say it would have to be of that quality or greater for the idea to even be entertained.

wilkie_1
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM

you need to grow some balls mate! i play on a 3G pitch every weekend and slide tackling is the same as it is on grass.

Franck is God
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Is that true? I have no idea what it costs to buy or run those lights,:dunno: but would they not only have to be on during the winter months?

Found this article on it. It certainly explains why they have the best pitch in the UK. I don't think any side in Scotland could afford this although I was wrong about the all year round thing.

By Mike Steere
For CNN

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The floodlights, corporate boxes and big screens at sports stadiums are all massive power sappers - but there's an increasingly popular technology which is chewing more energy than ever before.

Power-sapping technology: lighting rigs, like these ones installed at Telstra Dome are used to help grass growth.

The culprits are giant lighting rigs. The rigs are being adopted by football stadiums across Europe and the United Kingdom to encourage grass growth, but they're creating a significant footprint in doing so.

So, who's using the most power?

English Premier League football superpower Arsenal could have one of the worst carbon footprints in the region as its home ground is believed to use the biggest set of lighting rigs in the United Kingdom.

The club has been accused by environmental groups of using enough energy to power a small village in order to grow the grass on their home pitch.

The team's state of the art Emirates Stadium, which opened in 2006, boasts a set of 12 lighting rigs with huge sunlamps that run most of the year providing sufficient light to keep the turf growing and in a healthy condition.

The rigs, which have more than 600 light bulbs, have come under heavy criticism from environmental groups, who say they are "irresponsible."

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Found this article on it. It certainly explains why they have the best pitch in the UK. I don't think any side in Scotland could afford this although I was wrong about the all year round thing.

By Mike Steere
For CNN

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The floodlights, corporate boxes and big screens at sports stadiums are all massive power sappers - but there's an increasingly popular technology which is chewing more energy than ever before.

Power-sapping technology: lighting rigs, like these ones installed at Telstra Dome are used to help grass growth.

The culprits are giant lighting rigs. The rigs are being adopted by football stadiums across Europe and the United Kingdom to encourage grass growth, but they're creating a significant footprint in doing so.

English Premier League football superpower Arsenal could have one of the worst carbon footprints in the region as its home ground is believed to use the biggest set of lighting rigs in the United Kingdom.

The club has been accused by environmental groups of using enough energy to power a small village in order to grow the grass on their home pitch.

The team's state of the art Emirates Stadium, which opened in 2006, boasts a set of 12 lighting rigs with huge sunlamps that run most of the year providing sufficient light to keep the turf growing and in a healthy condition.

The rigs, which have more than 600 light bulbs, have come under heavy criticism from environmental groups, who say they are "irresponsible."

I wonder what the cost is? I am personally going towards the new plastic pitches. If its good enough for international games to play on, i cant see why its not good enough for us. I dont remember the english team complaining about playing on it, during their world cup campaign, even though they lost. That suggests to me, they thought it was fine. It has to be better than what we are seeing these days, at easter road, pittodrie and motherwell.

WHUHibs
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM

By Mike Steere
For CNN

This depends on the groundsmans preference.

Desso has 5 pitches in Premier league

Arsenal and Man City with lamps and Spurs, Villa and Liverpool who dont.

The grass grows naturally with 20 million tufts of fibre to strengthen the grass.

Desso have been appointed by Fifa to provide 2 world cup venues and this is the first time its been granted:
Nelspruit and Polokwane

Teams in the first round playing on these pitches will be Ivory Coast, Italy, France Argentina and so on.

This is also the same system that Denver Broncos, Philidelphia Eagles and Greenbay packers play on...

This product far outweighs 4g and 5g and gives no problems on bounce and burns etc..

Peevemor
09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Here's the fellies

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2620124039_0cb7f222dd.jpg

dangermouse
09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
How about this as an idea for encouraging grass growth.

When the new east is built how about installing some form of reflective blind that could be put in place when the stand is not in use thus redirecting natural sunlight onto the pitch?

Or even have mobile ones that could be placed around the stadium?

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
It is not really thread hijack as play football in the months when the weather is condusive to grass growing and you do not have a problem.

What do you do during the 5 months that it is not growing?

hibee_nation
09-04-2010, 10:58 PM
I have a 400 watt son light i dont use anymore they could hang over the penalty spot if that would help. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
10-04-2010, 04:52 AM

600 x half-kilowatt bulbs is perhaps £30 an hour, or less than £200,000 for nine months.
Can't understand why HOMFC haven't already got this in. :confused: