PDA

View Full Version : Hibs youths select

bob12345
07-04-2010, 04:45 AM
If we had never sold a youth player since 2000 we would probably be in a much less favourable financial situation but challenging for the league. How's this for a team...

GK: McNeil
DL: Whittaker
DC: Murray
DC: Hanlon
DR: Wotherspoon
ML: Fletcher
MC: Brown
MC: Thomson
MR: Riordan
FC: Miller
FC: O'Connor

Subs: Stevenson, McCann, Dobbie, McManus, McCormack.

Who've I missed?

Speedy
07-04-2010, 07:41 AM
If we had never sold a youth player since 2000 we would probably be in a much less favourable financial situation but challenging for the league. How's this for a team...

Who've I missed?

I'm not convinced

.Sean.
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Dobbie and McNeill wouldn't count as they were never homegrown players. They may have signed at an early age but came from Rangers and Southampton respectively. Also, 4 forwards? You'll lose the midfield every week with that...

Liam89
07-04-2010, 10:32 AM
The 2 wingers don't have much pace but the team is still decent considering its our homegrown players.

BT58
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
was murray not signed from utd?????
hb

Hibs On Tour
07-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Who've I missed?

A little adventurous with that quote, no? Given that these players came up to their best levels at varying points in time through that period since 2000 you could just as likely say we would have been relegated well before now! :greengrin

Allant1981
07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Dobbie scored a cracker for Blackpool the other day, i reckon he would still be a good signing for most premier league teams if he could lose another couple of pounds

Andy74
07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Who's paying them? :greengrin

MrRobot
07-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Who've I missed?

If we were to go with players that we helped along with their potential then:

GK: Maka(although helped I dunno about)
DL: Murphy
DR: Whittaker
ML: Shiels
MR: Sproule
FC: Riordan

subs: Stevenson, Fletcher, Wotherspoon, McCormack, McNeil, Hogg, Miller

Andy74
07-04-2010, 02:31 PM
A little adventurous with that quote, no? Given that these players came up to their best levels at varying points in time through that period since 2000 you could just as likely say we would have been relegated well before now! :greengrin

We've had teams not far away from these and they were good at things like never scoring a goal in Inverness.

For a start you'd never challenge for the league with a team including McNeill, Hanlon and Wotherspoon. Not at his stage in their careers.

Woody1985
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
We've had teams not far away from these and they were good at things like never scoring a goal in Inverness.

For a start you'd never challenge for the league with a team including McNeill, Hanlon and Wotherspoon. Not at his stage in their careers.

Was going to write the same thing.

Barney McGrew
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
was murray not signed from utd?????
hb

Yes, and Katie was signed from Coventry City IIRC

BT58
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, and Katie was signed from Coventry City IIRC

mind you was ian, not about 16,when he signed,,not really bothered about kitty:greengrin:greengrin
hb

Barney McGrew
07-04-2010, 03:12 PM
mind you was ian, not about 16,when he signed

He was 18 when he signed

bob12345
07-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Apologies for not thinking through my tactics and the technicalities! :boo hoo:

To be honest the point of the thread was really to show the quality that had been brought through, I don't think if any single SPL team created their equivalent they could provide as strong a team. The fact that, minus a GK, we can fill out a full team of homegrown players is pretty impressive in itself.

Woody1985
07-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Apologies for not thinking through my tactics and the technicalities! :boo hoo:

To be honest the point of the thread was really to show the quality that had been brought through, I don't think if any single SPL team created their equivalent they could provide as strong a team. The fact that, minus a GK, we can fill out a full team of homegrown players is pretty impressive in itself.

Whilst I agree that we've developed some cracking players I don't think that team would fight for the SPL title even if all the players were at their peak (reached so far in their careers). The bench would be far too weak.

Also, that team probably covers a timespan of what, 7/8/9 years with Miller in there?

We've done great work to get players through but we need to get that coming through consistently. I'm looking forward to seeing who we can get through next.

Does anyone have the knowledge on other SPL teams to perhaps put together their potential teams?

I think Celtic have probably had a squad or so of players come through in the same time period but could be wrong. Their team may be skewed though as leaving them is probably seen as a step down, whereas all our players have took a step up but it's all relative I suppose.

bob12345
07-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Whilst I agree that we've developed some cracking players I don't think that team would fight for the SPL title even if all the players were at their peak (reached so far in their careers). The bench would be far too weak.

Also, that team probably covers a timespan of what, 7/8/9 years with Miller in there?

We've done great work to get players through but we need to get that coming through consistently. I'm looking forward to seeing who we can get through next.

Does anyone have the knowledge on other SPL teams to perhaps put together their potential teams?

I think Celtic have probably had a squad or so of players come through in the same time period but could be wrong. Their team may be skewed though as leaving them is probably seen as a step down, whereas all our players have took a step up but it's all relative I suppose.

GK: David Marshall
DL: Charlie Mulgrew/Steven Crainey
DC: Steve McManus
DC: John Kennedy
DR: Paul Caddis
ML: Ross Wallace
MC: Shaun Maloney
MC: Aiden McGeady
MR: Jamie Smith
FC: Mark Burchill
FC: Craig Beattie

Theirs is certainly more balanced as a team, but in terms of top class players I think we have developed more. Amazing how all but Maloney and McGeady have basically been turfed out in place of average foreigners.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2010, 04:22 PM
McGeady is an average foreigner, so, he doesnae count!