PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray Testemonial?

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Will he get one? Been possibly the most consistent and 'hibs through and through' players I've seen in the last 12 or so years and despite his flaw of leaving Hibs, do you think he'll get a testemonial?

And also, who was the last player to have one at ER?

PISTOL1875
06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Will he get one? Been possibly the most consistent and 'hibs through and through' players I've seen in the last 12 or so years and despite his flaw of leaving Hibs, do you think he'll get a testemonial?

Gordon Hunter wasn't it ??

Toaods
06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
no chance he'll get one.

was the last ne not Alan Sneddon?

I think in this day and age, people grudge well paid footballers having a cash boost, look at Lee Wilkie he has refused to even consider one for himself.

One of the biggest jokes of all time was all the daft unwashed paying mental money to a year long series of events that bankrolled the already rich Paul McStay to be able to walk out the door never to return.

Jonnyboy
06-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Gordon Hunter wasn't it ??

no chance he'll get one.

was the last ne not Alan Sneddon?

I think in this day and age, people grudge well paid footballers having a cash boost, look at Lee Wilkie he has refused to even consider one for himself.

One of the biggest jokes of all time was all the daft unwashed paying mental money to a year long series of events that bankrolled the already rich Paul McStay to be able to walk out the door never to return.

Gordon Hunter, September 1996

sixtwo
06-04-2010, 10:00 PM
You having a wind up?

Some how I think joining the huns blots his copybook.

Very good player for us. He's been one of the best i've seen. His passion, talent and commitment deserves to be recognised but IMO, you need to serve a club consistantly for 8,9 or 10 years consecutively to merit a testimonial.

The last Hibs players testimonial I recall going to was Gordon Rae's. We played man utd under the floodlights and tortalano got sent off after a few minutes for a rash challenge on Strachan!

Testimonials are designed to give players a big payoff in return for their loyalty to the club. Although there is no doubting Ian's passion for the club, his loyalty is in question!

bingo70
06-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Big fan of ian murray and delighted he's back, however he got his big payday when he left us on a free transfer to join rangers.

The only reason players should have testimonials these days is to raise money for charity IMO.

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
You having a wind up?

I simply asked the question.

And also, I wasn't for a minute suggesting that if he were to have one he would be getting the money. I'd hope that any player nowadays that gets a testemonial would give money to the club or charity.

Hibercelona
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
If anyone should have one, it should be Sauzee. :sauzee: :agree:

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2010, 10:03 PM

For three years?

sixtwo
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I simply asked the question.

And also, I wasn't for a minute suggesting that if he were to have one he would be getting the money. I'd hope that any player nowadays that gets a testemonial would give money to the club or charity.

quote my whole post if you are going to take offence! The rest of my post explains exactly why I think you are either taking the piss or are completely niaive!:wink:

Hibercelona
06-04-2010, 10:06 PM
For three years?

He wasn't at the club for an exceptionally long time.

But the passion he showed for us far outweighs the passion that any other player has shown in recent times.

gilliecabbage
06-04-2010, 10:08 PM

But the passion he showed for us far outweighs the passion that any other player has shown in recent times.

correct!!!!:top marks

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
quote my whole post if you are going to take offence! The rest of my post explains exactly why I think you are either taking the piss or are completely niaive!:wink:

I only took offence to the first part, but I just took offence to that post as well...

Judas Iscariot
06-04-2010, 10:21 PM

You haver some pìsh like

Ed De Gramo
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
If Sauzee gets one...then surely Big Amadou gets one?

He set up Deano's winner at PBS and scored the goal that put us in Europe :wink::devil:

Toaods
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM

aye..the OP asked who was the last player to have one, everybody knows Geebsie was nothing but a stopper...:greengrin

hibsdaft
06-04-2010, 10:27 PM
He set up Deano's winner at PBS and scored the goal that put us in Europe :wink::devil:

set up lol did he not miss an open goal?

still can't believe mowbray gave him an extension for that goal at fir park - mind-boggling decision.

Ed De Gramo
06-04-2010, 10:32 PM
set up lol did he not miss an open goal?

still can't believe mowbray gave him an extension for that goal at fir park - mind-boggling decision.

He clocked Deano making the run out the corner of his eye so played one-two with the woodwork....the man's a genius....Mali's number 1 striker :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
You haver some pìsh like

Sometimes I think your only purpose on here is to follow me around and disagree for the sake of disagreeing. :yawn:

vahibbie
07-04-2010, 01:31 AM
If he had not had the wee interlude to HUNLAND then I would say yes.

proud_and_green
07-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I thought that testimonials were a contractual thing, that is if you got one it was because when you signed for the club you had a clause in your contract that if you played them for say ten years or so many games, you got a testimonial. That would also stipulate the split of the cash.

That said, i am not sure that there is anyone at the club just now who merits, in either time or contribution - in my opinion - a testimonial.

I think they are pretty rare nowadays and presumably that is because of the rise in the power of the player in terms of signing fees,wages etc compared to relatively meagre wages of 20 years ago.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 07:22 AM

They done the same with Larsson - the board said he'd get a £1m loyalty payment if he stayed until the end of his contract. Instead of paying it they set up a testimonial match to get the best fans in the world to pay for it!

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 07:23 AM
do you think he'll get a testemonial?

Have we all picked you up wrong? Is this something to do with his bawsack? Sounds like it should be in Roger's Profanisaurus.

rainman
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Murray gives his all for Hibs and I think a testimonial is a great idea!

He can have it as soon as he's completed his tenth consecutive year with us. :agree:

Sylar
07-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Sometimes I think your only purpose on here is to follow me around and disagree for the sake of disagreeing. :yawn:

Be careful - they can hear you...:paranoid:

Walter
07-04-2010, 08:10 AM
If he is still here when he is 34 he can have one

Sergy Pie
07-04-2010, 08:21 AM
For three years?

He should get one for each year he was here :thumbsup:

Keith_M
07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
IMHO, testimonials are an irrelevance to today's well paid professionals. I could see the point when a player's career was over and all he had to look forward to was driving a taxi or running a pub but, let's face it, that's not likely with the money they get paid nowadays.

Maybe in the unlikely event someone spent their whole career with the one club and the fans wanted to show appreciation, a 'testimonial' could be arranged but with the proviso that the tickets were cheap and the profits went to charity. Fans pay enough money these days without subsidising someone who gets wages the fan could only ever dream of.

Judas Iscariot
07-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Be careful - they can hear you...:paranoid:

He actually really believes that..

--------
07-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Reasonable question, IMO. :rolleyes:

Testimonials were organised in the past to provide a player with a last big pay-day in return for that player's loyalty in staying with a club throughout his career.

The point being that by doing so, that player would have been denied lucrative signing-on fees for transferring to other clubs. The player would also probably have settled for a lower wage at his original club rather than looking for a bigger contract elsewhere, so to make up for the player losing out on these fees and higher wages, the club would arrange a testimonial match. That's what happened for Gordon Rae and Gordon Hunter, IIRC.

Since Bosman the idea of a testimonial has really become irrelevant - very few players stay at the one club throughout his (or her) career these days. And agents operate to maximise their clients' earnings. The ball, financially speaking, is very much in the player's court these days.

However, if Ian stays at ER and plays for us through into his mid-30's, perhaps working on as part of the coaching team, the club might want to do something of the sort when he finally decides either to retire or to move to another job - probably as already said, for a charity of Ian's choice.

If Deek were to do likewise - stay at ER from now till the end of his career - a similar situation might arise. They're the only two players I could see involved in anything like this at present.

drifter533814
07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
The last Hibs players testimonial I recall going to was Gordon Rae's. We played man utd under the floodlights and tortalano got sent off after a few minutes for a rash challenge on Strachan.

Also did Strachan not play for hibs in the second half, scoring a penalty?

Peevemor
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM

I don't think so - he could hardly walk.

--------
07-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't think so - he could hardly walk.

No, he didn't.

I couldn't understand why Joe went in like he did - except that Joe T was just Joe T and did weird things like that - but he surely gave WGS one almighty wallop.

If he'd hit WGS three or four inches higher up the legs he'd have put him over the wall instead of into it and might have finished him for good.

Four minutes into a friendly.... :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Murray got his testimonial payout when he signed for the huns on a bosman. Its a no from me, i would not attend any testimonial for him.

Gettin' Auld
07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
That was Gordon Hunters testimonial when we played against Coventry. :thumbsup:

--------
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
That was Gordon Hunters testimonial when we played against Coventry. :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong - Joe T wasn't playing that night? :devil:

Gettin' Auld
07-04-2010, 11:03 AM
That's why wee Ginger Nuts survived unscathed. :greengrin

hongkonghibee
07-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Chris Hogg is surely our longest serving player........how many years more before he is rewarded for his loyalty with a testimonial?

Franck is God
07-04-2010, 11:22 AM

He didn't but was supposed to, his injury stopped it happening.

KeithTheHibby
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
You having a wind up?

Very good player for us. He's been one of the best i've seen. His passion, talent and commitment deserves to be recognised but IMO, you need to serve a club consistantly for 8,9 or 10 years consecutively to merit a testimonial.

The last Hibs players testimonial I recall going to was Gordon Rae's. We played man utd under the floodlights and tortalano got sent off after a few minutes for a rash challenge on Strachan!

Testimonials are designed to give players a big payoff in return for their loyalty to the club. Although there is no doubting Ian's passion for the club, his loyalty is in question!

Because he took the option as a young man to earn more money and play on a bigger platform? Are you telling me you wouldn't go for 4 x your wage and the chance to win some medals??

If Ian Murray sees out the rest of his career with us then he deserves a testimonial, no arguements.

--------
07-04-2010, 04:49 PM

In the program Strachan actually wrote, "Remember I'm a Hibs supporter, please stay away from me tonight."

Pity he didnae know Joe couldnae read..... :devil:

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Because he took the option as a young man to earn more money and play on a bigger platform? Are you telling me you wouldn't go for 4 x your wage and the chance to win some medals??

If Ian Murray sees out the rest of his career with us then he deserves a testimonial, no arguements.

I think testimonials are for those players that stay at one club for their whole career. Those who don't get that lucrative transfer during their time at the club. He got his big money move, and by leaving us without the club receiving any transfer fee, it makes any testimonial for him, null and void imho. I certainly wouldn't go, I'm sure there are others like me.

joejoefaemexico
07-04-2010, 05:05 PM

9th september 1996, remember it well, got gary mcallister's and gordon strachans signed strips from the game up on my wall! and wear pat mcginleys to 5's!

joejoefaemexico
07-04-2010, 05:10 PM

i have his top from the game on my wall.

KeithTheHibby
07-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I think testimonials are for those players that stay at one club for their whole career. Those who don't get that lucrative transfer during their time at the club. He got his big money move, and by leaving us without the club receiving any transfer fee, it makes any testimonial for him, null and void imho. I certainly wouldn't go, I'm sure there are others like me.

Perhaps you have a point however I would go, just to show my appreciation to the service he has given Hibs over the years, joining der hun is his only blot on his book but not enough to keep me away from going to his big game.

It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in his recently signed contract a testimonial game - if he completes the next 2 seasons surely that would give him over 10 years service with Hibs?

weecounty hibby
07-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Testimonials should be stopped for highly paid pros. Who else out there gets upwards of 2k per week and then if you stay at said place of work for a long period then expects to get a big one off payment. I have attended testimonials from Pat Stantons to Gordon Hunters and all of the Hibee ones inbetween but would not go to ANYONES now, they are all by and large overpaid, underwork pampered individuals who have done no real work all of their lives. Even until Geebsies day pros didn't earn all that much more than your ordinary guy in the terrace and maybe deserved a pay off for LONG service. Not Nowadays.

jdships
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Testimonials should be stopped for highly paid pros. Who else out there gets upwards of 2k per week and then if you stay at said place of work for a long period then expects to get a big one off payment. I have attended testimonials from Pat Stantons to Gordon Hunters and all of the Hibee ones inbetween but would not go to ANYONES now, they are all by and large overpaid, underwork pampered individuals who have done no real work all of their lives. Even until Geebsies day pros didn't earn all that much more than your ordinary guy in the terrace and maybe deserved a pay off for LONG service. Not Nowadays.

Agree 100% with what you write above :thumbsup:
Testimonials in the 21st C are for players who stay with clubs like East Stirling , Cowdenbeath ,etc., for many years earning around £20 a week
Remember just a few years ago the Hun (who is still with them) pulled in over £400000 from his "testimonial year " - obscene to say the least
Wouldn't pay one penny to attend a match for a player who possibly has earned a million pound , in say a ten year career, most of it out of supporters payments .

:bye:

dangermouse
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Consider yourself corrected. :greengrin

Joe T played alongside WGS that night.

davemcbain
08-04-2010, 01:22 PM

I think he played as many minutes as WJP did.

Correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't Joe "Super" T. denied a testimonial despite many many years devoted service to the club? If ever there was a deserved delayed testimonial.......

Oscar Lomax
08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Why was it a flaw? I hate the way fans sit on their high horses. Anybody in the same situation would want quadruple their wages, a bigger stage, winning silverware, europe etc etc....who wouldnt ????
Murray probaly does deserve a testimonial.....Is there such a thing these days?

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Why was it a flaw? I hate the way fans sit on their high horses. Anybody in the same situation would want quadruple their wages, a bigger stage, winning silverware, europe etc etc....who wouldnt ????
Murray probaly does deserve a testimonial.....Is there such a thing these days?

Why, what has he done to deserve one?

Oscar Lomax
08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Why, what has he done to deserve one?

He has given wholehearted performances since he was brought through from youth ranks.......
If you want to give him a gold Seiko watch fine, up to you....
Maybe thats more befitting.

Wotherspiniesta
08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Bamba should get a testimonial :devil:

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
He has given wholehearted performances since he was brought through from youth ranks.......
If you want to give him a gold Seiko watch fine, up to you....
Maybe thats more befitting.

His testimonial should be for Dundee United then.

Oscar Lomax
08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Bamba should get a testimonial :devil:

Agreed. I would give Bamba a golden plated chariot to drift off into the sunset never to be found again.
If Carlseberg did testimonials, the above would be 'Priceless' !!!

Oscar Lomax
08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
His testimonial should be for Dundee United then.

You know what I mean smarty pants.....since he was introduced into the first team set up. Maybe chuck them a box off choc's?

Jamesie
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
You having a wind up?

I seem to recall signing for Celtic didn't prevent Pat Stanton receiving a testimonial from Hibs though?

Different time of his career may be, but you can't have a rule for players who turn out for one half of the old firm and not the other IMHO.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
You know what I mean smarty pants.....since he was introduced into the first team set up. Maybe chuck them a box off choc's?

I know exactly what you meant, but you were wrong. What part of coming through Dundee Utds youth set up, did he give his wholehearted performances for Hibs?

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I seem to recall signing for Celtic didn't prevent Pat Stanton receiving a testimonial from Hibs though?

Different time of his career may be, but you can't have a rule for players who turn out for one half of the old firm and not the other IMHO.

Different circumstances, Stanton was pushed out the door, he did not want to leave. Murray left after running his contract down, meaning we got nowt, and he got the big signing on fee. Thats his testimonial money in my book.

Gatecrasher
08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Football Players in general dont deserve one because of the changing clubs and high earnings they get..

but Murray is one of the few players i would make an exeption for - ok he's earning 2/3k per week depend on who you talk to but a footballers career lasts about 17/18 year tops, other than the media and coaching/management there is limited options other than opening a pub :greengrin

if murray see's out his career at hibs i will be there for his big day as in modern day football terms he is a long serving player at the club, and if the money is not for him and for charity then thats better no?

hibsbollah
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Chris Hogg is surely our longest serving player........how many years more before he is rewarded for his loyalty with a testimonial?

Good point (although im not sure if hes our longest serving)...

Whatever you think of his skills, his loyalty isnt in question. By all accounts refused to get involved in the 'crying to Rod' delegation and generally conducts himself well.

ScottB
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
While I generally dont support top level players getting testimonials, I think it is a nice touch that Celtic are giving Kennedy one.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
While I generally dont support top level players getting testimonials, I think it is a nice touch that Celtic are giving Kennedy one.

:agree:

hibsbollah
08-04-2010, 09:35 PM
My 2nd ever Hibs game was an Arthur Duncan testimonial, but I havent a clue who we played or what the score was:faf:

col02
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Ten years service is ten years service no matter if broken up by being away for a couple seasons. The fact he moved to Rangers back then should imho be looked upon as a blessing in disguise as it has made him realise his home is at Hibs and always will be hopefully for the rest of his playing days and perhaps beyond. Chances are the guy would donate a fair portion of his money to charity anyway and we should again imho be given the chance to celebrate having a guy like Ian Murray at our club for ten years.

oldbutdim
08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
No, he didn't.

I couldn't understand why Joe went in like he did - except that Joe T was just Joe T and did weird things like that - but he surely gave WGS one almighty wallop.

If he'd hit WGS three or four inches higher up the legs he'd have put him over the wall instead of into it and might have finished him for good.

I still have the offishul glass paperweight from that game on my desk.
:cool2:

Removed
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
My 2nd ever Hibs game was an Arthur Duncan testimonial, but I havent a clue who we played or what the score was:faf:

It was against an International Select. I only remember because it was very close to a significant birthday for me and we went out after the game.

Canny remember the score though. Jonnyboy where are you :greengrin

Edit: we lost 4-3. John - bonus points for the scorers :greengrin

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Pat's had been agreed before he was transferred James

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:25 PM
It was against an International Select. I only remember because it was very close to a significant birthday for me and we went out after the game.

Canny remember the score though. Jonnyboy where are you :greengrin

Edit: we lost 4-3. John - bonus points for the scorers :greengrin

Hibs lost 4-3 as you rightly say. Hibs' 3 goals came from Ally MacLeod, Gordon Rae and Alan Sneddon

They scored through Charlie Nicholas (2), Mark McGhee (spit) and Tony Higgins

Awful day weather wise and only 5,000 attended

One wee snippet to add - a young lad we'd signed from Dundee made his debut in that game - can anyone name him?

hibsbollah
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Awful day weather wise

That the only thing I do remember.

Thanks for the other info though:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
That the only thing I do remember.

Thanks for the other info though:thumbsup:

Nae bother :greengrin

WindyMiller
09-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Chris. Hopefully when your contract's up you'll get punted.:thumbsup:

hibbymac
09-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Do you think Big Jock Knew? ....... :duck::offski:

Just Jimmy
09-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Hibs lost 4-3 as you rightly say. Hibs' 3 goals came from Ally MacLeod, Gordon Rae and Alan Sneddon

They scored through Charlie Nicholas (2), Mark McGhee (spit) and Tony Higgins

Awful day weather wise and only 5,000 attended

One wee snippet to add - a young lad we'd signed from Dundee made his debut in that game - can anyone name him?

Was it Stuart Turnbull?

Speedway
09-04-2010, 11:53 AM

He's already had several fans giving him testingmoan-ials on here.

Allant1981
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Football Players in general dont deserve one because of the changing clubs and high earnings they get..

but Murray is one of the few players i would make an exeption for - ok he's earning 2/3k per week depend on who you talk to but a footballers career lasts about 17/18 year tops, other than the media and coaching/management there is limited options other than opening a pub :greengrin

if murray see's out his career at hibs i will be there for his big day as in modern day football terms he is a long serving player at the club, and if the money is not for him and for charity then thats better no?

so say he earns 3k per week at hibs (and im guessing he got a lot more at rangers and norwich) he is still going to have made a few million throughout his career. Hardly going to struggle is he. Unless he has been an idiot with his money

jgl07
09-04-2010, 01:36 PM
No, he didn't.

There is some confusion between two testimonial matches.

One where Strachan was supposed to play for Hibs in the second half (against Man United) but did not after JoTo got sent off and another where he did (against Coventry City).

Jonnyboy
09-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Was it Stuart Turnbull?

I'm afraid to say that it was indeed Stuart Turnbull.

Current day fans who moan about the likes of Rankin etc are sooooooo lucky they missed Turnbull and his ilk of which there were a few :greengrin