jae
05-04-2010, 11:46 PM
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122124766

Toaods
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
what a load of Keith Wright.

Jack
06-04-2010, 06:32 AM
I wasn't that impressed with his last season here and he seems to have carried on his personal decline this season.
We're well shot of him and very well done Rod for getting any money at all for him.

J-C
06-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Said he left for family reasons and went to the heady heights of Scunthorpe United, no ambition and overrated, caused a lot of problems behind the scenes also, if what i was told is true.

Stevie Reid
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Said he left for family reasons and went to the heady heights of Scunthorpe United, no ambition and overrated, caused a lot of problems behind the scenes also, if what i was told is true.

His behaviour, as Hibs captain, was absolutely appalling when he led the dissenters to see RP behind JC's back - we had only just recorded a resounding victory in the CIS Final and had a soon to be relegated Dunfermline side (albeit one who'd previously knocked out Hearts and Rangers) in the semi final of the SC.

Our season completely fell apart after that incident, who knows what we could've achieved had the players just sat tight and raised their grievances at the end of the season - I mean who in their right mind goes to complain about a manager's training methods when the team has just won their first trophy in 16 years and many of the players have just won their first, and possibly in some cases their only, winners medal? Insane. How that season panned out still sticks in my throat - we can only imagine how the Jambos would've reacted had we ended the SC wait in the same season that we won the League Cup.

Anyway, Jones later admitted he was naive and that nothing similar would ever happen whilst he was captain of the football club - yet a matter of months later he was in the press, making noises about the fact that his new contract wasn't forthcoming. Very poor behaviour.

Will always be grateful for him setting us on our way in that final, and ultimately he is one of the few Hibs captains who has lifted a trophy - but he should've been brave and stood up to the players, with the possibility of achieving even greater things on his mind.

Don't really care what happens to him now.

Hibee_Lisa
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Still better than the majority of CH's we have at present.

Golden Bear
06-04-2010, 09:27 AM

:agree:

And i felt as though he put himself in a "no win" situation when he tried to play the role of go between the players and the Management.

The players actions at the time were thoroughly embarrassing for Club & supporters alike.

Jack
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM

TBH I never bought into the RJ uber fan so I’d disagree with that, all round.

Bamba – better in the air (he actually has a fair idea of where he wants the ball to go and it quite often goes there as opposed to anywhere will do) and much, much more of a footballer than Rob will ever be.

Murray – not quite as good with the high balls but more of a footballer than Rob will ever be.

Hogg – see Murray, but not quite as good although he should/can be.

The ‘youngsters’ – see Murray and Hogg but younger and less experienced.

Rob just defended too far back, that was his style (that I didn’t like but each to their own), and put others under too much pressure. He, IMO, is one of the main reasons Makka is thought of so poorly.

Hibee_Lisa
06-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Bamba – better in the air (he actually has a fair idea of where he wants the ball to go and it quite often goes there as opposed to anywhere will do) and much, much more of a footballer than Rob will ever be.

Murray – not quite as good with the high balls but more of a footballer than Rob will ever be.

Rob just defended too far back, that was his style (that I didn’t like but each to their own), and put others under too much pressure. He, IMO, is one of the main reasons Makka is thought of so poorly.

Fair enough. Personally feel he was underrated,would much rather have him at CH than any you have mentioned out with Bamba. Maka is thought of so poorly because he is a rank keeper.

Love the Green
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM

OH !!! it was "the jolly green giant's fault makka could not hold on to the ball in over 10 occassions and it was TJGG's fault makka drove a clearance off and Aberdeen player at Pittoddrie..what a load of *****...Bamba is that good he gets a goalie dropped becaus HE cannot play with him...
Jones did a great job aht HIBS.

"keep the faith":wink:

Peevemor
06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Just noticed this on the same forum.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2122110394

Probably just a coincidence mind... :cool2:

RIP
06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Rob Jones was the cornerstone of the tightest defence we've had in years.

Hoofball teams had no chance against us - look how vulnerable we are now.

Whenever he was out injured our results suffered

He was a class act off the field and a ferocious tackler on it. He was dignified, gracious and generous with his time.

Part of one of the best defences during my five decades of watching Hibs. It's always sad to hear of any players decline but as he reaches the end of his career I'd fancy him for a future in management.

Peevemor
06-04-2010, 11:22 AM

He was a class act off the field and a ferocious tackler on it. He was dignified, gracious and generous with his time.

Part of one of the best defences during my five decades of watching Hibs. It's always sad to hear of any players decline but as he reaches the end of his career I'd fancy him for a future in management.

I'm not sure that's the case.

With that said, I think he's had some underserved stick on here since he left.

Franck is God
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Rob Jones was a decent 'backs against the walls' defender. When he was asked to stubbornly defend our box from a deep position and throw himself in the way of shots he did that well.

However he did not read the game too well and reacted to things rather than anticipate them, his touch and distribution was poor as was his positioning. And considering his height and build I actually thought he didn't make full use of this in the oppositions box, never understood his reluctance to make a run on the ball, almost always tried to win a header with a standing jump.

IMO he was no great loss as a defender or as a captain.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Jones would walk straight back into our team just now. Whether Scunny are a cr*p team or not makes no difference. I think we were always a better side when he was in the team, whether it was talent or talisman, it makes no odds. That we got approaching 500K for a player that cost us sweeties and gave us good service just endorses his time with us as extremely beneficial IMHO. It terms of " came in, cost nowt, played well, moved on, made us cash", he ranks alongside Murphs and Ivan. I really wish that this was the worst deal that we have ever done, as some of the previous posters would suggest.

brog
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Couldn't agree more, I had the pleasure of meeting him on 3 occasions & he was a true gent. I don't think anyone would claim Rob was a particularly cultured footballer but he's cast in the same mould as Yogi, a guy who appreciates what football has brought him & who always gave 100% for the team.
In the last 3 months we've been crying out for a no nonsense centre half who would do the basics of clearing our lines. Someone like McNamee, Madsen, Black, Hughes or even a Shaun Dennis! Bamba was superb on Sunday but that was his first really good game since returning from Africa, his performance at PBS was appalling.
To summarise, we sold Rob Jones on for far more than we bought him for, we got his best playing years, he always gave 100% & he captained us & scored opening goal in a 5-1 cup final victory. I wish we had a whole team of crap players like Rob!!
PS, he also scored the only goal against Yams in the 1/4 final, the 81% game!
Good luck Rob.

Jack
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Your having a laugh big felly. :greengrin

I think if we concede fewer than 7 goals between now and the end of the season we will have equalled that feat, even if it’s a extra couple or so I would consider that to be neither here nor there. Both this season and last we’re averaging 1.21 goals lost per game – see Maka section below :devil:.

Up until Christmas we were pretty invulnerable to all types of football and its not particularly the hoofers now who are beating us – its almost anyone :boo hoo:. But the defences that included RJ had bad spells too.

I also think Peevemor was right is suggesting you are incorrect in saying our defence suffered while he was absent.

And finally his class off the field in leading the revolt, as has already been said, probably cost us very dear indeed.

… and finally finally just to add to the Maka Jones debate :devil: [I'm going to enjoy this :faf:]

Last season Maka played in 4 games where RJ was absent; 2 clean sheets and conceded 3 goals, or 0.75 goals per game. Remember we averaged 1.21 goals lost per game throughout the season. :cool2:

This season 7 games (6 and a half actually) (without RJ obviously), 3 clean sheets, 7 goals lost (which includes the Rangers games where most of the team went AWOL, not just Maka). Still only 1.08 goals per game, or an astonishing 0.5 goals per game if you exclude the huns game. :dummytit: Remember we are averaging 1.21 goals lost per game throughout this season.

:devil: Bring back Maka, he can hold this defence together :devil:

Who banned my mate HibsSpain? :greengrin