PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Gerrard: Wasting his career at Liverpool?

Vince White
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I know Gerrard is something of a love/hate figure. He strikes me as a bit of an irritating nyaff, but IMHO he's a fine footballer. IIRC he was persuaded to sign a new deal at Liverpool on the back of theur unlikely Champions League win in 2005, but since then they've won nothing (at least I don't think they have). Watching him almost single handedly attempt to coax his mediocre side into a win at Birmingham yesterday I wondered if he regretted his decision not to move to a better stage.

Thoughts (it's a slow bank holiday and there's not much doing at work so I'm just throwing in a few random threads to pass the time!)?

MyJo
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
a 4 year deal worth £26m........i think he'll manage to live with himself to be honest :greengrin

johnrebus
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Never mind Gerrard, what about the hell is Torres still doing there?

:bitchy:

_hucks_
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
He's been poor this season. Watched him a few times and know reds fans saying the same thing. He's had his best days, and I think Liverpool would be wise to cash in on him now as I wouldn't be suprised if he went downhill from here.

Vince White
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Never mind Gerrard, what about the hell is Torres still doing there?

:bitchy:

Good point.

The biggest mystery of all though is surely how Benitez has held on to his job?

Vince White
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
a 4 year deal worth £26m........i think he'll manage to live with himself to be honest :greengrin

Sure, great deal financially but it's probably cost him the most productive years of his playing career in terms of silverware.

PISTOL1875
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Good point.

The only reason Rafa is still there is because it would cost them around £20-£25million to sack him...

KerPlunk
05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
"Then there was his abortive transfer to Chelsea in 2004. Following the European Championships that summer, Gerrard was all set to move to London.

With a big wage increase in the offing, he even text-messaged then Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to say he was looking forward to working with him.

Days later, all that changed. Gerrard told a stunned press conference that he had changed his mind and would be staying in Liverpool.

Officially he was happy - but his ashen face and monosyllabic speech told a different story.

The truth, insiders say, is that on the eve of his transfer, Steven had a visit from his father.

Paul Gerrard, who had previously been supportive of his move to the capital, had a stark message for him: you can't go.

"If you were to leave this city and this football club," he said, "our lives would become intolerable."

Steven, sources say, buckled under the pressure.

The precise reasons why this remarkable U-turn came about remain shrouded in mystery.

However, it is known that, at the time, a number of leading gangland figures in Liverpool were determined that their football club's prize asset should not be lost to the city - at any cost."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560616/Soccer-star-gangsters-Steven-Gerrard-murky-depths-Liverpools-underworld.html

Vince White
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
"Then there was his abortive transfer to Chelsea in 2004. Following the European Championships that summer, Gerrard was all set to move to London.

With a big wage increase in the offing, he even text-messaged then Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to say he was looking forward to working with him.

Days later, all that changed. Gerrard told a stunned press conference that he had changed his mind and would be staying in Liverpool.

Officially he was happy - but his ashen face and monosyllabic speech told a different story.

The truth, insiders say, is that on the eve of his transfer, Steven had a visit from his father.

Paul Gerrard, who had previously been supportive of his move to the capital, had a stark message for him: you can't go.

"If you were to leave this city and this football club," he said, "our lives would become intolerable."

The precise reasons why this remarkable U-turn came about remain shrouded in mystery.

However, it is known that, at the time, a number of leading gangland figures in Liverpool were determined that their football club's prize asset should not be lost to the city - at any cost."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560616/Soccer-star-gangsters-Steven-Gerrard-murky-depths-Liverpools-underworld.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560616/Soccer-star-gangsters-Steven-Gerrard-murky-depths-Liverpools-underworld.html)

Interesting stuff. If another club were to come in for him it sounds from those allegations that he'd have to move his whole family away from the area.

Reaper
05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I know Gerrard is something of a love/hate figure. He strikes me as a bit of an irritating nyaff, but IMHO he's a fine footballer. IIRC he was persuaded to sign a new deal at Liverpool on the back of theur unlikely Champions League win in 2005, but since then they've won nothing (at least I don't think they have). Watching him almost single handedly attempt to coax his mediocre side into a win at Birmingham yesterday I wondered if he regretted his decision not to move to a better stage.

Thoughts (it's a slow bank holiday and there's not much doing at work so I'm just throwing in a few random threads to pass the time!)?

FA Cup 2006. I'm a Liverpool follower though and I know what you mean. Rumour has it he'll be at Inter Milan next year with Torres. They're preparing a 100m double bid which if true L'Pool wouldn't be able to turn down due to financial difficulties. Can't see it happening myself but I suppose you never know.

houston1875
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Coz..YNWA....not SG's fault,team is rank, its the piss poor yank owners and a inept rafa who are destroying that team/club!!!!!!!!!

Cocaine&Caviar
05-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Is it worth being known as a one club man, in exchange for being known as one of the best players never to have won a league title?

houston1875
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
100m? hhmn lose two world class players or club stay away fae administration?

jae
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
could he do a job for us :dunno:

The stands paid for after all :wink::greengrin

easty
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
could he do a job for us :dunno:

The stands paid for after all :wink::greengrin

not Hibs class, he's a thug and having seen the CCTV of that bar incident last year I've no doubt that he'd lead our players astray...couldn't have him coming to Easter Road and getting our well behaved players like Ant & Deek into trouble out on the town...

BS44
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
not Hibs class, he's a thug and having seen the CCTV of that bar incident last year I've no doubt that he'd lead our players astray...couldn't have him coming to Easter Road and getting our well behaved players like Ant & Deek into trouble out on the town...

What would the YLT have to say if he decided to leave Hibs for another club.

Hibs90
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Gerrard has always been over-rated if you ask me.

houston1875
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM

phhff easy tiger!!

Green_one
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
£26M sounds a lot but its £125k a week, not an impossible total to beat elsewhere.

He may just settle for that and a quiet life being a legend Liverpool captain but he will almost certainly get few additional major trophies. Maybe the odd FA cup or League Cup? If he does go I guess it will be abroad.

Torres is much more likely to jump ship. Any club would want him. I presume he will go to Spain. I think he will go when the manager does.

RyeSloan
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Over rated...really? Who has been unfairly under rated when compared to Gerrard??

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2010, 06:50 PM

:tee hee: Your judgement of a player really is poor!

hibsdaft
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
more like-

Liverpool: Wasting a season with Gerrard?

the guys barely kicked a ball all year.

him and Carragher have been shocking since August but nobody in the English press dares mention this because they're both English. its pathetic frankly.

and i watch most Liverpool games btw.

Nuitdelune
05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I didn't think I would like S G until I saw a programme re him on Sky--Being Steven Gerrard or something. Apart from the fact it was very hard to pick up what he was saying with his Scouser mumblings, thought him okay--gets right grumpy when he doesn't win but that is not a bad thing in a player surely, shows he cares etc

Frogga
05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Why is a player getting criticised for being loyal to the club he loves?

I'm sure if one of our own players stayed with us for their whole career rather than moving to a bigger club then we wouldn't be criticising them :confused:

CFC
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Why is a player getting criticised for being loyal to the club he loves?

I'm sure if one of our own players stayed with us for their whole career rather than moving to a bigger club then we wouldn't be criticising them :confused:

Poster said something similar on the Bounce last week. Time was when we looked upon such a player as a loyal servant, nowadays we think of them as mugs for sticking around.

Personally always respected Matt Le Tissier for staying with a medium sized provincial club when he could of played for one of the so called "bigger" teams and truth be told football would be a lot more interesting if the "smaller" clubs could keep hold of their players and not run at the first call of Chelsea, United, OF etc.

houston1875
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
He's been poor this season. Watched him a few times and know reds fans saying the same thing. He's had his best days, and I think Liverpool would be wise to cash in on him now as I wouldn't be suprised if he went downhill from here.

not long ago folk were saying that bout lampard?

J-C
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Obviously an out and out Pool fan and signed an extension after the Euro win and with them coming so close last year it looked like Rafa was taking them places. Unfortunately Rafa has managed slighly weirdly this year and some of the more serious players are beginning to wonder what the hell is going on with him. Pulled Torres against Birmingham stating tiredeness, and if looks say it all, then the look on Torres and Gerrard's faces said it all. They'll struggle to get top 4 and also win Europa cup, that being the case players like Gerrard and Torres with get out asap for Champions League football.

givescotlandfreedom
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't mind giving him a run in the reserves and maybe even a loan to a lower league team. I don't want his head to get big but we've been crying out for someone like him since Joe Keenan left.

jdships
06-04-2010, 07:26 PM

" whose asking you ? "!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:wink::win k::wink::wink:

Speedy
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
FA Cup 2006. I'm a Liverpool follower though and I know what you mean. Rumour has it he'll be at Inter Milan next year with Torres. They're preparing a 100m double bid which if true L'Pool wouldn't be able to turn down due to financial difficulties. Can't see it happening myself but I suppose you never know.

They could go for less imo.

Hibs On Tour
06-04-2010, 11:06 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560616/Soccer-star-gangsters-Steven-Gerrard-murky-depths-Liverpools-underworld.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560616/Soccer-star-gangsters-Steven-Gerrard-murky-depths-Liverpools-underworld.html)

:agree: Got himself involved foolishly thinking he could pick up and put down these people. Wrong. Hence the above and him and his old boy having to vouch for Kinsella's character right before Kinsella jumped bail while at court... Naughty, naughty boys and put the strange relationships that exist between certain players up here and 'players' right into the shade.

Still, it does at least do away with the myth that SG stayed with L'pool because he couldn't bear to leave them! :faf:

Hibs90
07-04-2010, 05:39 PM
:tee hee: Your judgement of a player really is poor!

Not saying he isn't good as he obviously is, his finish at Birmingham the other day was outstanding. My point was that just like most English players the media always over-rate them.

Northern Hibby
07-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Good point.

Never been the same since Alex Miller left :greengrin:

_hucks_
08-04-2010, 11:28 AM
more like-

Liverpool: Wasting a season with Gerrard?

the guys barely kicked a ball all year.

him and Carragher have been shocking since August but nobody in the English press dares mention this because they're both English. its pathetic frankly.

and i watch most Liverpool games btw.

Spot on. Nail on the head right there. From what I've seen of Liverpool I agree, and I know a couple of season ticket holders who are saying the exact same thing. Even over the past few weeks where Liverpool have started playing some much nicer football, Gerrard has still been anonymous, with Carraghers lack of pace being painstakingly obvious.

davemcbain
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Never been the same since Alex Miller left :greengrin:

ohh this hurts....I have to agree with you.

There I've done it, I's said something complementary about BF Miller. It's taken over a decade (almost 15 years? surely not?) but I've finally done it.

He's a decent defensive coach - that's as far as I can go with the complements though.