PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes article in today's Scotland On Sunday

YetholmHibee
04-04-2010, 11:55 PM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Con-man-Hughes--trying.6202701.jp

Interesting read on training . . . . if this has already been posted then my appologies.

. . Hughes has introduced different training regimes to try & inculcate particularly the need to work to get back behind the ball, and he has another demand coming for his players. Though team training sessions have been cut to around an hour . .

. . it's a bugbear of mine . . why should players come in at 10 o'clock & finish at 12 . .

. . I want guys in from 9 o'clock to at least 3 o'clock . .

. . I have no doubt I have guys who will say 'fantastic this is everything I want;, but I've got one or two who will say 'hold on, this is hard work; . .

I cannot believe we are having these problems at our new shiny training facility :bitchy:

Could John Hughes be suffering from a 'kind of' players revolt that John Collins had?

Could John Hughes be handling the situation better than John Collins but is not getting the response he wants from a few players?

Your thoughts.

ScottB
05-04-2010, 12:43 AM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Con-man-Hughes--trying.6202701.jp (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Con-man-Hughes--trying.6202701.jp)

Interesting read on training . . . . if this has already been posted then my appologies.

. . Hughes has introduced different training regimes to try & inculcate particularly the need to work to get back behind the ball, and he has another demand coming for his players. Though team training sessions have been cut to around an hour . .

. . it's a bugbear of mine . . why should players come in at 10 o'clock & finish at 12 . .

. . I have no doubt I have guys who will say 'fantastic this is everything I want;, but I've got one or two who will say 'hold on, this is hard work; . .

I cannot believe we are having these problems at our new shiny training facility :bitchy:

Could John Hughes be suffering from a 'kind of' players revolt that John Collins had?

Could John Hughes be handling the situation better than John Collins but is not getting the response he wants from a few players?

Your thoughts.

My heart bleeds, it really does!

Lazy gets should be out there as much as possible.

Fairly convinced Deeks is getting emptied, the numerous references to players not getting back behind the ball etc.

Greenway
05-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I just don't understand John Hughes attitude with player relationships. He's their manager, the man in charge, he decides what they should do, and they need to do it or they sit in the stands.

What is all this rubbish about getting in their heads and putting an arm round their shoulder. YOU ARE IN CHARGE..., they don't need friends they need someone to tell them how they should play.

Quite why he thinks he's got some psychology tricks to gee up our players when it's clear to everyone that this is not the case. If he would just stick to the task at hand and use his management skills to develop an effective playing style. This is what we all want and I suspect the players would benefit from a more strict environment. Managers who are too close with player only cause confusion and compromise their authority.

As for this 10am-12pm day it's just completely mad. If every English Premiership side can train from 10am until 3pm then what's our problem?, or are we just too good already?.

I'm not suggesting they work physically all this time, but practicing ball skills and tactical exercises would seem worthwhile tasks. Even sitting around watching football videos or helping with the youth squad would be better for the team.

Hibercelona
05-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Fairly convinced Deeks is getting emptied, the numerous references to players not getting back behind the ball etc.

If he was planning on emptying Deeks, I don't think he'd be playing him in every game.

4th place in the top goal scoring chart isn't bad for a player who has virtually played in midfield most of the season.

bighairyfaeleith
05-04-2010, 06:58 AM
I actually think deeks is working a lot harder than he used to so I would be amazed if he was going to get emptied. Hughes is aware of deeks limits, and right now he is pushing them harder than he has under any other coach so I think yogi should be happy with his return with riordan. It's other players that are giving up to easy when they lose the ball that is causing a lot of our problems.

Good to hear yogi identify this problem and to be working on it. restores a little faith.

Part/Time Supporter
05-04-2010, 07:02 AM
I just don't understand John Hughes attitude with player relationships. He's their manager, the man in charge, he decides what they should do, and they need to do it or they sit in the stands.

What is all this rubbish about getting in their heads and putting an arm round their shoulder. YOU ARE IN CHARGE..., they don't need friends they need someone to tell them how they should play.

Quite why he thinks he's got some psychology tricks to gee up our players when it's clear to everyone that this is not the case. If he would just stick to the task at hand and use his management skills to develop an effective playing style. This is what we all want and I suspect the players would benefit from a more strict environment. Managers who are too close with player only cause confusion and compromise their authority.

As for this 10am-12pm day it's just completely mad. If every English Premiership side can train from 10am until 3pm then what's our problem?, or are we just too good already?.

I'm not suggesting they work physically all this time, but practicing ball skills and tactical exercises would seem worthwhile tasks. Even sitting around watching football videos or helping with the youth squad would be better for the team.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

:wink:

ie it's no use setting longer hours if some of the players are going to doss around for most of the time, or develop mystery injuries to duck it completely.

bighairyfaeleith
05-04-2010, 07:02 AM

I'd go further, I'd have them at east mains for breakfast, few hours training, then lunch and then more training in the afternoon.

The club can then have greater control over there diets, the team has more time to bond (oh is that no nice) and they should be fitter and better rehearsed come saturday.

But then I was just a donkey centre half who spent half my very short career getting sent off so what do I know:greengrin

hibsbollah
05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
If every English Premiership side can train from 10am until 3pm

Do they? i've never seen much about an average footballers day...

bighairyfaeleith
05-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Do they? i've never seen much about an average footballers day...

Are you suggesting our players are average :grr:

sahib
05-04-2010, 07:18 AM

I want guys in from 9 o'clock to at least 3 o'clock . .

There must be some sort of optimum time for training, at least the hard physical stuff. You don't want knackered, jaded players for a Saturday or so I would have thought. You don't want the team looking like they had been building the ruddy Burma railroad.

J-C
05-04-2010, 08:08 AM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Con-man-Hughes--trying.6202701.jp (http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Con-man-Hughes--trying.6202701.jp)

Your thoughts.

Good to see he's trying to make them work harder and the ones who don't like it will get emptied, Benji, Nish are you reading this. Riordan as we have seen is trying a lot harder this year, whether that;s enough for Hughes only time will tell.

J-C
05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
There must be some sort of optimum time for training, at least the hard physical stuff. You don't want knackered, jaded players for a Saturday or so I would have thought. You don't want the team looking like they had been building the ruddy Burma railroad.

They won't train like this on a friday or saturday prior to a game, they'll do a little light stuff, some stratching and maybe a few will get a sports massage, then go over tactics for the game.

Brizo
05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Very surprised that as well as saying he wants players in from 9 to 3 Yogi says why should they come in at 10 and leave at 12 :confused: That certainly gives the impression theyre only spending a couple of hours a day at East Mains ?

Never been there but I thought that as well as providing our own pitchs East Mains had catering , gym , treatment , relaxation areas ? I thought the idea was that they'd use these facilities after training to improve all areas of their fitness and well being. And to get away from the culture of a morning training sesh and then the players all going their separate ways to the snooker , golf, bookies.

If the players arent taking the opportunity to use these facilities then it says it all about their level of professionalism. And if Yogi isnt making them stay to use them maybe all his sports science talk :blah: and hard taskmaster talk :blah: is just all that. If players and management arent utilising East Mains to its full capacity then those additional facilities are being wasted.

HFC 0-7
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I actually think deeks is working a lot harder than he used to so I would be amazed if he was going to get emptied. Hughes is aware of deeks limits, and right now he is pushing them harder than he has under any other coach so I think yogi should be happy with his return with riordan. It's other players that are giving up to easy when they lose the ball that is causing a lot of our problems.

Good to hear yogi identify this problem and to be working on it. restores a little faith.

I think he is working harder and this is why he isnt getting into the positions we are used to him getting in. Because he is chasing back a lot he isnt in the positions to receive the ball when we win it back. IMO, I think Riordan is a more effective player when he is lazy and sits up front. he isnt great at tackling so when he does track back its a bit of a waste at time. He is better up front when he can receive the ball in an advanced position move it out of his feet and have a strike.

J-C
05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I think he is working harder and this is why he isnt getting into the positions we are used to him getting in. Because he is chasing back a lot he isnt in the positions to receive the ball when we win it back. IMO, I think Riordan is a more effective player when he is lazy and sits up front. he isnt great at tackling so when he does track back its a bit of a waste at time. He is better up front when he can receive the ball in an advanced position move it out of his feet and have a strike.

Obviously Yogi has him playing for the team instead of for himself nowadays, swings and rounabouts eh, play him upfront in his usual lazy position and score goals, or get him to work harder and everyone sees he's doing so but scores less, you'll never win.:greengrin

stubru59
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Irrespective of who Hughes is pointing the finger at, clearly some are not happy with the regime in place.

Not much he can do about it until the summer. In the meantime, those very players whom he intends to off-load are expected to do the business when called upon.

A difficult one for any manager to deal with. Think Hughes will get this one right, but it will take time.

MrSmith
05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I think what Yogi is saying is that modern day players need careful handling like divas!

In my experience of these types - being in bands for 30 years - some players seem to think they are far better and worth more in the scheme of things but in reality they are just big babies capable of throwing their toys out of the pram. However, Yogi must realise this and is trying to keep them on-side which, for me, is ok but really kicking ass would suit! I have never put up with a diva type in a band, I would either leave if the others were pufties or catapult them.

euro Hibby
05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
no arguements on this if its in their contracts !

Hours of work from to .........etc

If you had to play football 4-5 hours a day to become a football pro you need 4-5 hours per day to remian at the top.

Bobo
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM

From what I've seen the player who is least fit and unwilling to run is Stokes.

His movement and work rate are terrible for a lad his age, he may score goals but needs to up the anti with his team work and reluctance to play other players in when the opportunity is right.

20 goals is a good return from a striker but he could have had so much more if he was fitter and stronger, something he needs to work on IMO.

For me Riordan is the better striker by some margin and had he had the benefit of playing up top instead of wide left, he'd surely have 25+ goals this season. As it stands his 15 goals from midfield and improved work rate is a great return. :agree:

weonlywon6-2
05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Obviously Yogi has him playing for the team instead of for himself nowadays, swings and rounabouts eh, play him upfront in his usual lazy position and score goals, or get him to work harder and everyone sees he's doing so but scores less, you'll never win.:greengrin

:top marks

it would be daft to get rid of deeks because he has a lot of goals in him each season. yogi will try and get the best out of him but that takes time.

hopefully,sooner rather than later all yogis ideas will start coming together !!

weonlywon6-2
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM

His movement and work rate are terrible for a lad his age, he may score goals but needs to up the anti with his team work and reluctance to play other players in when the opportunity is right.

20 goals is a good return from a striker but he could have had so much more if he was fitter and stronger, something he needs to work on IMO.

For me Riordan is the better striker by some margin and had he had the benefit of playing up top instead of wide left, he'd surely have 25+ goals this season. As it stands his 15 goals from midfield and improved work rate is a great return. :agree:

about sums it up though, lazy or not.take stokes and deeks goals out of us and we would be scrapping at the bottom end of the league

hibsbollah
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM

:agree: I think that was what i was getting at. Its the quality as well quantity that matters. I know when the european players first arrived tended to do more skill-based training than the traditional british player, but i dont know what a 'normal' day is now for a professional player. Would be good to find out, anyone?:hmmm:

Perspective
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

I agree with you that he could be fitter and sharper off the blocks, but his movement is first class.

It's the reason he scores so many goals. Watch how often he manages to drift into space or off defenders before scoring.

Speedway
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Wha's in cherge here?

thefifer1959
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Your thoughts.

John Hughes would never stand for the way Collins was treated.
My opinion is if they dont want to trains etc.... then get rid of the lazy gits, we need players who will put blood on the shirt fronts and mud on there knees and A**e's, get back to the 70s when players would give 110% on the pitch and help all over

NorthNorfolkHFC
05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I still find it quite hard to believe that professional players train from 10-3 or 9-3 during the day.
Some of the best teams in the world past and present maintain that players have to train at the times they actually compete. In doing this their bodies are best prepared physiologically and psychologically for match performances.
At newcastle during the successful keegan era they trained from 2-6/7 every day, this similar method was used at chicago when the bulls were successful, ac milan, real madrid.
Various coaches have trained like this such as alex ferguson, vince lombardi, steve black......all very successful coaches.
I wonder if its ever been considered by coaches up here?? i know it is only a small training issue but all these little thing count. Come game day and players are ready for action at 3!!!

jonny
05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
If he was planning on emptying Deeks, I don't think he'd be playing him in every game.

4th place in the top goal scoring chart isn't bad for a player who has virtually played in midfield most of the season.

:agree::agree:

Dont think Deeks will be going anywhere in the near future - personally I think he's wasted out on the left wing, however, no-one can argue with his return this season. How many would he have if consistently played through the middle......

thefifer1959
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
:agree::agree:

Dont think Deeks will be going anywhere in the near future - personally I think he's wasted out on the left wing, however, no-one can argue with his return this season. How many would he have if consistently played through the middle......

I agree mate, but if you notice most off his goals have came from coming in from one wing or another not from central

woodyloon
05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Interesting to hear that Dundee United players were taken down to Broughty Ferry for what the players thought was a beasting on the beach. Instead they go for a gentle stroll then head to a cafe were the Manager treats them all to Bacon Butties. It's not all about working on football, team bonding sessions are just as important.

J-C
06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Interesting to hear that Dundee United players were taken down to Broughty Ferry for what the players thought was a beasting on the beach. Instead they go for a gentle stroll then head to a cafe were the Manager treats them all to Bacon Butties. It's not all about working on football, team bonding sessions are just as important.

After the way they've played recently they were entitled to the bacon roll's, whatever training they've been doing it's worked.

J-C
06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree mate, but if you notice most off his goals have came from coming in from one wing or another not from central

True, Deeks isn't an out and out striker, always played on left just off Garry O in his first spell, a bit like the old fashioned inside left position.

Sergio sledge
06-04-2010, 07:17 AM
about sums it up though, lazy or not.take stokes and deeks goals out of us and we would be scrapping at the bottom end of the league

Not sure I get your point? Take away the two top scorers from any club and they wouldn't be in the same position in the league. Take Boyd and Miller away from Rangers, or Drogba and Anelka from Chelsea, or Torres and Gerrard from Liverpool, or Crouch and Defoe from Spurs. Your point could be applied to any football team, so if it is meant as a criticism of the manager or the club it doesn't work for me.

Delboy*
06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
In my opinion, John Hughes is trying to install something at Hibs that I support.
He is trying to create a mentality throughout the squads that can only be good for the club. I think that the work he is doing is no easy task and will take possibly seasons to achieve.
I would probably mirror it to the off-field re-building of our club that has taken us from near extinsion to a very strong position with training ground/stadium etc. BUT THAT TAKES TIME!
Overall it has been a decent season so far, a better performance last week so lets get behind the team!!!

ahibby
06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Surely it isn't about getting every player behind the ball but getting the right players behind and the right player(s) in front of it. I have know the same tactics not working before because a manager has tried to defend using forwards who are a liability in defence but deadly on the counter.

J-C
06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Surely it isn't about getting every player behind the ball but getting the right players behind and the right player(s) in front of it. I have know the same tactics not working before because a manager has tried to defend using forwards who are a liability in defence but deadly on the counter.

True, we don't need Deek and Stokes dropping back behind the ball, we need them to harry and push the oposition backs and midfielders when they have the ball, allowing them little time to play. Watch Man U, Rooney, Giggs, Valencia and Nani all drop back slightly to put pressure on and give oposition hassle.

silverhibee
06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd go further, I'd have them at east mains for breakfast, few hours training, then lunch and then more training in the afternoon.
The club can then have greater control over there diets, the team has more time to bond (oh is that no nice) and they should be fitter and better rehearsed come saturday.

But then I was just a donkey centre half who spent half my very short career getting sent off so what do I know:greengrin

And this is how long the players are at EMs for, as far as i know the players have to be at EMs for 9-30 and on the training pitch for 10-00, train till lunchtime, then lunch, then they do something in the afternoon, ie, gym, videos, tactics, and anyone who wants to stay longer after 3-00 to work on things is more than welcome to.

BEEJ
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
And this is how long the players are at EMs for, as far as i know the players have to be at EMs for 9-30 and on the training pitch for 10-00, train till lunchtime, then lunch, then they do something in the afternoon, ie, gym, videos, tactics, and anyone who wants to stay longer after 3-00 to work on things is more than welcome to.
How do we then explain Yogi's quote from the SoS article quoted in the OP?

mikethehibee69
06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Should put a bookies in East Mains then a lot of the players would stay isnt that right stokes and Deeks:wink::faf:

Very surprised that as well as saying he wants players in from 9 to 3 Yogi says why should they come in at 10 and leave at 12 :confused: That certainly gives the impression theyre only spending a couple of hours a day at East Mains ?

Never been there but I thought that as well as providing our own pitchs East Mains had catering , gym , treatment , relaxation areas ? I thought the idea was that they'd use these facilities after training to improve all areas of their fitness and well being. And to get away from the culture of a morning training sesh and then the players all going their separate ways to the snooker , golf, bookies.

If the players arent taking the opportunity to use these facilities then it says it all about their level of professionalism. And if Yogi isnt making them stay to use them maybe all his sports science talk :blah: and hard taskmaster talk :blah: is just all that. If players and management arent utilising East Mains to its full capacity then those additional facilities are being wasted.

Eaststand
06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
In my opinion, John Hughes is trying to install something at Hibs that I support.
He is trying to create a mentality throughout the squads that can only be good for the club. I think that the work he is doing is no easy task and will take possibly seasons to achieve.
I would probably mirror it to the off-field re-building of our club that has taken us from near extinsion to a very strong position with training ground/stadium etc. BUT THAT TAKES TIME!
Overall it has been a decent season so far, a better performance last week so lets get behind the team!!!

:top marksHear hear Delboy

silverhibee
07-04-2010, 11:37 AM
How do we then explain Yogi's quote from the SoS article quoted in the OP?

Yogi's a con man.
So maybe its a con, baffled at that interview from the manager.

J-C
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Yogi's a con man.
So maybe its a con, baffled at that interview from the manager.

Nothing really baffling here, we have a multi million pound facility, he wants his players to be more professional in their approach, trying to instill this and the players who don't respond will be emptied and he'll bring in ones that will respond.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Nothing really baffling here, we have a multi million pound facility, he wants his players to be more professional in their approach, trying to instill this and the players who don't respond will be emptied and he'll bring in ones that will respond.

Only if he can sort out the issues first. :wink:

J-C
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Only if he can sort out the issues first. :wink:

These the same issues TQM is keeping a secret from us all, wink wink nudge nudge.:wink:

YetholmHibee
08-04-2010, 12:18 AM

Your thoughts.

This is the comment that annoys me the most.

People talk about passion & desire - Hibs players have the opposite affect . . . lazy attitude & performances . . . . Why??

. . . an hour each day!!

Sums up why we let 2 late goals in against Ross County!!