PDA

View Full Version : Creativity

GreenOnions
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Despite defeat I thought there were positives today. Most of these centred around a strong defensive display and an excellent level of commitment from the whole team.

My point was just about the level of creativity from the team. Although I don't think Celtic really looked like scoring I don't think we did either. If we were to have scored today I thought it was going to come from a piece of individual skill rather than a well-worked move.

Sure - we had three strikers on the pitch. However, only Miller from our midfield three can be considered a particularly "creative" player. Cregg and Rankin are "workers". That's fine - but if that's our midfield then we need to be able to expect something from our full-backs in an attacking sense.

I think Ian Murray is great and he'd always be one of the first names on the team sheet. However, he is primarily a defender and, coming forward, his play would be considered more "workmanlike" than instinctive.

The selection of McCormack at full-back continues to annoy me. The lad is a centre-half and IMHO potentially a good one. However - he is too slow to play out wide and offers very little in an attacking sense.

Behind our strikers - when Zemmama is not playing - it appears to me that all our creativity is expected to come from Liam Miller.

Is that enough? Also - is that simply making it more and more difficult for Miller to perform?

Jonnyboy
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Despite defeat I thought there were positives today. Most of these centred around a strong defensive display and an excellent level of commitment from the whole team.

My point was just about the level of creativity from the team. Although I don't think Celtic really looked like scoring I don't think we did either. If we were to have scored today I thought it was going to come from a piece of individual skill rather than a well-worked move.

Sure - we had three strikers on the pitch. However, only Miller from our midfield three can be considered a particularly "creative" player. Cregg and Rankin are "workers". That's fine - but if that's our midfield then we need to be able to expect something from our full-backs in an attacking sense.

I think Ian Murray is great and he'd always be one of the first names on the team sheet. However, he is primarily a defender and, coming forward, his play would be considered more "workmanlike" than instinctive.

The selection of McCormack at full-back continues to annoy me. The lad is a centre-half and IMHO potentially a good one. However - he is too slow to play out wide and offers very little in an attacking sense.

Behind our strikers - when Zemmama is not playing - it appears to me that all our creativity is expected to come from Liam Miller.

Is that enough? Also - is that simply making it more and more difficult for Miller to perform?

Good post and I agree with much of what you say :agree:

Sadly we have very little pace and creativity in our team and without Zouma (perhaps the most creative of all) we will struggle to a degree

Westie1875
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Now that Gow is fit again I'd like to see him given a few games to show what he can do on the creative side. Certainly managed to create a lot of goals for Stokes when they were both at Falkirk.

hibsboy90
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Now that Gow is fit again I'd like to see him given a few games to show what he can do on the creative side. Certainly managed to create a lot of goals for Stokes when they were both at Falkirk.
Gow didn't look fit at all today when he came on. Shirked out of contact a couple of times, possibly still doesnt trust his body to be mended. Possibly would have brought Kurtis Byrne on, another forward who would be keen to impress.

greenlex
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Its not enough but we have little else at the moment without Zouma. Miller is under performing and it may all be too much for him to be doing it all on his own. He nearly always takes a touch or two more than needed in what appears to be an effort to do it right. Chances where the ball could be moved quicker are wasted at least half a dozen times per game and Defenders allowed time to regroup. Its all very frustrating.
There may be a laddie that might be able to do it but to throw them in too early could destroy them.
Wing backs as they are called nowadays are key to the way Yogi wants to play the game. Murray is possibly in that mould but I think eventually we will need one that is quicker. A right back in a similar mould is a must. The problem is they dont go on trees I'm afraid. Young Callum Booth looks a prospect in that respect but that would only take care of left back.

GreenOnions
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Its not enough but we have little else at the moment without Zouma. Miller is under performing and it may all be too much for him to be doing it all on his own. He nearly always takes a touch or two more than needed in what appears to be an effort to do it right. Chances where the ball could be moved quicker are wasted at least half a dozen times per game and Defenders allowed time to regroup. Its all very frustrating.
There may be a laddie that might be able to do it but to throw them in too early could destroy them.
Wing backs as they are called nowadays are key to the way Yogi wants to play the game. Murray is possibly in that mould but I think eventually we will need one that is quicker. A right back in a similar mould is a must. The problem is they dont go on trees I'm afraid. Young Callum Booth looks a prospect in that respect but that would only take care of left back.

I think that is an excellent point. In the absence of such a player on our books should we just revert to 4-4-2?

HFC 0-7
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM

I thought he was a big dissapointment today. He got more time today than in recent matches as I think Celtic, unlike most of our opposition never tried to stop us play as they were trying to play themselves. Even when he had more time he wasnt picking out any real good passes and at times was choosing the wrong option. In terms of wingbacks, I like the idea of them but we just dont have them right now. I like Murray but I think he is pretty limited at going forward and his corssing isnt great. I always get the feeling that when he goes forward the ball always seems to be getting away from him.

The only good wingback we had this season was early on when Wotherspoon had a bit of form, but due to his age I think he may have been burned out a little.

greenlex
04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I think that is an excellent point. In the absence of such a player on our books should we just revert to 4-4-2?

Possibly but my frustration with Yogi is he is trying to get players to play a system that they are clearly incapable of playing. I think Mixu was similar in this. that and he obviously couldnt get whatever he was trying to do across to he players. Play to the players strengths and adopt a system to suit and maybe 4-4-2 would suit better. Players in their proper positions where possible would also help I think.

HFC 0-7
04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Possibly but my frustration with Yogi is he is trying to get players to play a system that they are clearly incapable of playing. I think Mixu was similar in this. that and he obviously couldnt get whatever he was trying to do across to he players. Play to the players strengths and adopt a system to suit and maybe 4-4-2 would suit better. Players in their proper positions where possible would also help I think.

Spot on, Yogi does seem very hard headed on his systems. On paper we maybe have the players but as the season has unfolded he should have seen that its just not happening.

Steve-O
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Agreed. We created very little and this is why the display reminded me of a Blobby/Mixu performance in that regard.

J-C
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM

I think Gow has enjoyed far too many months sitting doing nowt over the past 2 years and unfortunatley it's beginning to show, looks totally unfit and unwilling to get involved, another talent wasted by an ugly sister.

Hibbyradge
05-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I'd prioritise a left back and play Ian Murray in the middle.

He is tough as nails, he desparately wants to win and he drives the team forward.

GreenOnions
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd prioritise a left back and play Ian Murray in the middle.

He is tough as nails, he desparately wants to win and he drives the team forward.

Do you mean in the middle of defence Hibbyradge or in midfield?