PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McBride

Long suffering
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Right, please dont overly slate me but I am just interested in peoples views of this guy. I know that the vast majority of fans seem to like him, but personally I am not convinced. Apart from keeping it simple on the ball by playing his wee passes, (which he is good at in fairness) I struggle to see what he really adds to the team because as a defensive midfielder surely getting stuck in and making challenges should be his forte, yet he his sole purpose appears to be a link man from defence to midfield. Watching Creggs dynamism and anticipation today, let alone his competence on the ball I struggle to see how McBride has been favoured so regularly throughout the season? I actually feel we are even shorter in MF when he plays because he sits so deep. Any views would be welcome.

BroxburnHibee
04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought he played the Brian Kerr role brilliantly today.

Long suffering
04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought he played the Brian Kerr role brilliantly today.

:greengrin yes i know its weird posting about him when he wasnt playing but i just thought creggs perfromance highlighted what we have been missing perhaps in terms of dig

Jonnyboy
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Right, please dont overly slate me but I am just interested in peoples views of this guy. I know that the vast majority of fans seem to like him, but personally I am not convinced. Apart from keeping it simple on the ball by playing his wee passes, (which he is good at in fairness) I struggle to see what he really adds to the team because as a defensive midfielder surely getting stuck in and making challenges should be his forte, yet he his sole purpose appears to be a link man from defence to midfield. Watching Creggs dynamism and anticipation today, let alone his competence on the ball I struggle to see how McBride has been favoured so regularly throughout the season? I actually feel we are even shorter in MF when he plays because he sits so deep. Any views would be welcome.

He does what Neil Lennon built a career on - keeps it simple :agree:

CB_NO3
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
McBride and Miller were class for the 1st half of the season, they used to come short and take the ball of the defence and play from the back which was good to watch. Unfortunately the whole team lost confidence (Miller and McBride included) and we started lumping the ball up the park from xmas onwards. I think it is a confidence thing whats lacking at the moment and the lumping the ball up the park aint part of McBrides game.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2010, 09:20 PM
He does keep it simple, with keep being the operative word. He also moves the ball a bit quicker imho than rankin or stevenson or even cregg. We miss him when he's not there.

matty_f
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
He does keep it simple, with keep being the operative word. He also moves the ball a bit quicker imho than rankin or stevenson or even cregg. We miss him when he's not there.

:agree: I'd actually quite like a midfield with Cregg, Miller and McBride in it.

Diclonius
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Cregg and McBride would be an excellent midfield partnership.

I love how you're only criticising him when he's injured. Classy.

heretoday
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
McBride reminds me of Stanton at times the way he goes forward. He could do a bit more of the dirty work but I think he's a class player. Hang onto him.

Franck is God
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
McBride hasn't been the same since his injury unfortunately.

I always thought that the midfield 3 of Cregg, McBride and Miller had everything you would need in the middle of the pitch.

You have Cregg for a bit of bite, McBride to keep it simple, make sure we keep possession and move the ball at the right time. Miller clearly is a very talented player and having these two behind him will give him the opportunity to create.

Reaper
05-04-2010, 12:44 PM
McBride hasn't been the same since his injury unfortunately.

I always thought that the midfield 3 of Cregg, McBride and Miller had everything you would need in the middle of the pitch.

You have Cregg for a bit of bite, McBride to keep it simple, make sure we keep possession and move the ball at the right time. Miller clearly is a very talented player and having these two behind him will give him the opportunity to create.

Yeah he hasn't looked fit. Maybe Yogi rushing him back too quick. Good pre season will hopefully sort it out.

Long suffering
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Cregg and McBride would be an excellent midfield partnership.

I love how you're only criticising him when he's injured. Classy.

I am basing an opinion from the whole of this season, it is purely a coincidence that he is currently injured. I dont think he is a bad player but id rather see cregg in there instead. I really see the irrelevance of whether he is currently injured or not.

Diclonius
05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
I am basing an opinion from the whole of this season, it is purely a coincidence that he is currently injured. I dont think he is a bad player but id rather see cregg in there instead. I really see the irrelevance of whether he is currently injured or not.

Fair enough mate, was in a bit of a mood when I wrote that. Apologies.

Long suffering
05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Fair enough mate, was in a bit of a mood when I wrote that. Apologies.

no worries :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I know I'm going to get shot down in flames, but after wondering what the fek my Falkirk supporting freinds were on about I'm beginning to agree with them. When the chips are down, he goes missing.

greenlex
05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I know I'm going to get shot down in flames, but after wondering what the fek my Falkirk supporting freinds were on about I'm beginning to agree with them. When the chips are down, he goes missing.
He is injured and has been for a couple of months. Coincidence? Should have been rested till he was 100%IMO

I'm_cabbaged
05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
He is injured and has been for a couple of months. Coincidence? Should have been rested till he was 100%IMO

Aye he should, if he's not been fit. So it's Yogi's fault he's been playing ****? :confused:

Franck is God
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Aye he should, if he's not been fit. So it's Yogi's fault he's been playing ****? :confused:

When he got injured he was taken out of a winning side, it wasn't long after that that our run of poorer form started.

He was then rushed back in during a poor run so not only was he trying to get back to full fitness he was trying to find his form too. This is another way that we are missing the reserve league

shagpile
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
He is coming up for 29 in a couple of months. He has played about 130 games of league football. Something doesn't add up with him. At 29 you would expect even a decent journeyman player to have played at least double that amount of games. He may be injury prone or, there is something else not quite right.

pacorosssco
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I have been thinking about this discussion for a while but have been trying to avoid the doom and gloom and the form of the team isnt one specific players fault. However I agree it is worth discussing the players merits to the team

Its hard to see full extent of games when you have to watch on tele/internet and mcbride quickly got a love in with most fans and great reviews but I personally havent seen a great deal to suggest he is a stick on to play in a specific formation /starting eleven each week. He could very well have injury problems that have effected his form since Christmas and the teams form as a whole hasnt been good . Question is this can Hibs carry a player who will only play half a season or play a three man midfield with one player who cant tackle ?

I dont think Mcbride is a bad player but im not sure like the op suggests what he really does offer and is possibly limited.His games to age ratio suggests he is injury prone and at 29 he should be at the peak of his career. It is also unusual for a good player not to be missed at his former club and another poster has spoken of falkirk fans who didnt rate him

My honest take is if fit he is a tidy player who doesnt have enough else to his game. He cant rough it up or offer more support to defence and attack if required .As a midfielder he offers no goal threat or brute force and over a season you need to have more diversity to your game.There will games where he can shine but more games where he doesnt offer enough

I have nothing personally against mcbride and i am not suggesting he is chased out the door but I would prefer cregg to him in midfield and i dont think a three man midfield can accomadate the two of them. It will be interesting to see what hughes does with them over the remaining games as cregg i think has pushed his claim for a start in the team.