PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Turnbull in 1973 and Hibs today

fife hfc
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I was looking through old football annuals for articles on Hibs and the 1973 review of the league had a quote very relevant to our prediciment some 37 years later.

The Scottish Football book in 1973 has Eddie Turnbull saying

We had our sticky spell at the worst possible time. Right at the end. You can recover from a bad start and you can drive your way through a sag in the middle of the season but when it happens in the run in you are in trouble

Eddie, we certainly know what you are talking about this season. Maybe we are expecting too much from Yogi if legends of Scottish football like Eddie Turnbull talks about teams having sticky patches and the wrong time to get them. Somethings just never change with Hibs I suppose.

Golden Bear
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I was looking through old football annuals for articles on Hibs and the 1973 review of the league had a quote very relevant to our prediciment some 37 years later.

The Scottish Football book in 1973 has Eddie Turnbull saying

We had our sticky spell at the worst possible time. Right at the end. You can recover from a bad start and you can drive your way through a sag in the middle of the season but when it happens in the run in you are in trouble

Eddie, we certainly know what you are talking about this season. Maybe we are expecting too much from Yogi if legends of Scottish football like Eddie Turnbull talks about teams having sticky patches and the wrong time to get them. Somethings just never change with Hibs I suppose.

A very truthful observation!

:boo hoo:

Iggy Pope
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
This is a very good parallel to draw on.

As well as Eddie's comment from 1973 it is also worth keeping some perspective on the Dingwall debacle....there have beeen precedents...

East Fife
Arbroath
Raith Rovers
Stirling Albion

All have knocked us out of the Scottish from a division lower.

Add Montrose, QoS, Meadowbank Thistle and a few others into the mix in the LC and what we are seeing is nothing new.

On the plus side, we are not always fighting for a place in Europe either and we certainly are now.