PDA

View Full Version : More experience and physical presence needed

Part/Time Supporter
03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-plans-midfield-role.6201840.jp

Disregarding the back and forth about Stokes in half of the article, the bottom half is more interesting.

Indeed, if Stokes were the only Hibs player whose game was lacking in certain respects his team would be top of the table by now instead of aiming to get back on terms with third-placed Dundee United. Hughes has stood by his players in public, commending them for the effort they have shown, but he is now of the settled opinion that he needs to bring in fresh blood over the summer as well as demanding more out of his existing squad.

The inadequate physicality in midfield, for example, could be countered by selecting Sol Bamba in a holding role, but the manager is convinced that moving the big Parisian out of the back four would do more harm than good. Similarly, the lack of verve in the middle might be addressed by giving Danny Galbraith a starting place, but Hughes thinks the teenager is not yet ready.

Instead, he will persevere with what he has for the time being, waiting as patiently as he can for the transfer window to open again in the summer. "I know what I have got here and I know the work that needs done," he said.

"One, we need a bigger physical presence in the team. Two, I need one or two who know the game and who are going to coach and organise. And three, I'm hoping we can instil in the players who are already at this club what is expected of them. And that is success.

"There is a lot of work to be done, but the response I have had from them so far has been really good. We're still battling away to try and get that third spot, and you don't know what might happen. Hopefully we can still do it."

hibsbollah
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-plans-midfield-role.6201840.jp (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-plans-midfield-role.6201840.jp)

Disregarding the back and forth about Stokes in half of the article, the bottom half is more interesting.

Sounds good. Double swoop for Buaben and Gomis please.

Andy74
03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
It's funny that any story where it's confirmed that Hughes actually knows fine well what is needed barely merits a reaction!

Hibbyradge
03-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Good spot, PTS.

I'm reassured by that article.

Bring on the transfer window.

Bring on next season.

:faf:

A couple of weeks ago, I was considering not renewing.

I've now renewed and I'm back happy clapping.

Lovin it!

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
The only problem being with the next transfer window is that Stokes, Bamba & Benji will likely be away in the summer and will need to be replaced.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
The only problem being with the next transfer window is that Stokes, Bamba & Benji will likely be away in the summer and will need to be replaced.

Stokes won't be away.

Benji can go now as far as I'm concerned.

Bamba will fund the replacements/improvements.

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Stokes won't be away. I think any bids @ 1.5M or over would be enough to secure, unfortunately.

Benji can go now as far as I'm concerned. I agree, crazy to think that we were excited at the prospect of him coming back.

Bamba will fund the replacements/improvements.Yep, but it will be a hard task to find another CB as well as a new RB. Should be an interesting summer though!

Archie70
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
The inadequate physicality in midfield, for example, could be countered by selecting Sol Bamba in a holding role, but the manager is convinced that moving the big Parisian out of the back four would do more harm than good. Similarly, the lack of verve in the middle might be addressed by giving Danny Galbraith a starting place, but Hughes thinks the teenager is not yet ready.

Only problem I have with the above is we've been leaking goals since Bambas return and looked every bit as solid without him. In my opinion he's what we're screaming out for in midfield. As for Galbraith, he's never let us down when he's came on and looks as ready as Wotherspoon. With Zemamma out he's the only bit of width we have in the team and must be worth a punt.

If and if he's talking about physicallity why persist on giving Nish 90 minutes. Centre halves must love playing against him, powder puff! Yogi went on about 11 square goes. We'd be lucky if we won a couple a match lately. We're the softest team in the league by a mile.

BEEJ
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
It's funny that any story where it's confirmed that Hughes actually knows fine well what is needed barely merits a reaction!
STOP PRESS:

Hughes agrees with views of 'faceless wonders', shock!!

:wink:

GloryGlory
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Only problem I have with the above is we've been leaking goals since Bambas return and looked every bit as solid without him. In my opinion he's what we're screaming out for in midfield. As for Galbraith, he's never let us down when he's came on and looks as ready as Wotherspoon. With Zemamma out he's the only bit of width we have in the team and must be worth a punt.

If and if he's talking about physicallity why persist on giving Nish 90 minutes. Centre halves must love playing against him, powder puff! Yogi went on about 11 square goes. We'd be lucky if we won a couple a match lately. We're the softest team in the league by a mile.

:agree: Maybe if Hanlon hadn't been injured Hughes could have made that move.

hibees_green
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Do people really think Bamba will be away? Has he really excelled?

sahib
03-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I have said Nade would be a good signing for us.

Seanair
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Er, who was it who brought into the team MORE wee guys to replace the previous wee guys (omitting to lose Stevenson and Rankin).

Who was it who missed the oppportunity to sign a big centre-back in January but signed yet another goalkeeper (who hasn't been picked).

The sign of a good manager is foreseeing what is needed in the team he's taking over and taking action BEFORE the season starts.This is a wasted season which could have been a success if Hughes hadn't made the above mistakes.

PS No problem with Hughes signing Stokes!

steve75
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Er, who was it who brought into the team MORE wee guys to replace the previous wee guys (omitting to lose Stevenson and Rankin).

Who was it who missed the oppportunity to sign a big centre-back in January but signed yet another goalkeeper (who hasn't been picked).

The sign of a good manager is foreseeing what is needed in the team he's taking over and taking action BEFORE the season starts.This is a wasted season which could have been a success if Hughes hadn't made the above mistakes.

So you know for a fact that Hughes hasn't been looking for these players? Just because he didn't sign certain players doesn't mean he wasn't in the market for them, sometimes the right player isn't available, just look at some off the duds previous managers have signed in haste.

I'd like to give Hughes the benifit of the doubt and assume he was just unlucky in the january window. In the summer he has a lot longer to make moves happen. If by then he hasn't solved the clear problem areas, then we'll know we have a problem.

brydekirk
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
So you know for a fact that Hughes hasn't been looking for these players? Just because he didn't sign certain players doesn't mean he wasn't in the market for them, sometimes the right player isn't available, just look at some off the duds previous managers have signed in haste.

I'd like to give Hughes the benifit of the doubt and assume he was just unlucky in the january window. In the summer he has a lot longer to make moves happen. If by then he hasn't solved the clear problem areas, then we'll know we have a problem.
:agree: finding quality at affordable prices cant be easy.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2010, 11:52 AM

:agree: Hughes has been saying since he started, thats the type of player he wants. I'm glad he did not just sign any old players in the last window. I'm sure when the new window opens, he will get a better quality of player in, than he could have in january, and at a price we are prepared to pay.

Along with that, there will be players leaving the club, hopefully a lot more of the dross we have been lumbered with from previous managers.

killie-hibby
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM

"missed the opportunity". Can you name the big centre back whom Hughes declined to sign.
My understanding is that he wanted to bring in Michael Hart and Russell Anderson. Both preferred to remain in England.

matty_f
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
"missed the opportunity". Can you name the big centre back whom Hughes declined to sign.
My understanding is that he wanted to bring in Michael Hart and Russell Anderson. Both preferred to remain in England.

It was well reported that we were close(ish) to signing these players. Yogi's said all along that he'd rather go with what we've got rather than panic-buy and bring in someone for bringing in someone's sake.

Yogi has a responsibility to get his signings right. With the budget he is operating under, he'll not get it 100% right, so he has to get as close to that as he can. There's no point squandering money on sub standard players just to appease a few fans who can't see past the next game.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
It was well reported that we were close(ish) to signing these players. Yogi's said all along that he'd rather go with what we've got rather than panic-buy and bring in someone for bringing in someone's sake.

Yogi has a responsibility to get his signings right. With the budget he is operating under, he'll not get it 100% right, so he has to get as close to that as he can. There's no point squandering money on sub standard players just to appease a few fans who can't see past the next game.
Very true, but letting the likes of Alan O'Brien and Joe Keenan slip through his fingers, showed just how bad a judge he is. I'm worried he might do the same with a few others, and we might drop even further down the league than we have under him.

matty_f
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Very true, but letting the likes of Alan O'Brien and Joe Keenan slip through his fingers, showed just how bad a judge he is. I'm worried he might do the same with a few others, and we might drop even further down the league than we have under him.

Me too.:greengrin

Betty Boop
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Last year, you were a member of the doom and gloom brigade. What a transformation! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Last year, you were a member of the doom and gloom brigade. What a transformation! :greengrin

Its all down to Yogi, and his players.:notworthy: