PDA

View Full Version : NHC Lee Wilkie retires

Darren1875
02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Don't know if already posted, but he's had to quit football

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2919275/Lee-My-agony.html

PC Stamp
02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
A big whole hearted player who performed wonders to come back as often as he did from serious knee injuries to keep playing in the SPL.

Good luck for wherever his future takes him.

noseyhibby
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
That's sad to hear. The very best of luck Lee in whatever you do.

David_D
02-04-2010, 11:53 PM
sad news as he was always a very good player. Never good to hear of a player having to quit through injury. wish him all the best

Baldy
03-04-2010, 06:25 AM
the second part of the story is really shocking, considering he was playing at the beginning of the season

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2917917/I-gave-my-left-knee-up-to-play-for-United.html

I hope they give him a glamour testimonial

BigKev
03-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Not nice to hear - sounds like the next few months will be pretty painful as well.

Good luck to the big felly. :agree:

hibiedude
03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
I hate to read about players who's careers have been cut short due to injury.

col02
03-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Sad news for the big guy who when fit was a better player than many gave him credit for. I hope United go on to win the Scottish cup for the big man.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Sad news for him, although the bit at the end, were he goes on about getting a 9-5 job did him no favours imho.

MontrealHibs
03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Sad story. A big wholehearted defender, better than anything we have had at Easter Road since Sauzee in that department.

Good luck in the future big man.

Cocaine&Caviar
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Really is horrible news, a very consistent player over the last few seasons, who has been crucial to Utd's success.

Might also leave Utd in a bit of a hole next season once Webster has gone back to Rangers, leaving them with a decent Kenneth and a 35 year old Dods.

Toaods
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
never let his club or country down.

A real shame for a guy who could have made it in the Premiership if he'd avoided the injuries.

By all accounts a smashing fellow off the park too.

Best Wishes to him for his future.

Del Boy
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
very sad news, big honest guy who was playing for the team he supported as a kid. Must be heartbreaking for him.

Phil D. Rolls
03-04-2010, 12:52 PM
That guy's bravery in keeping going as long as he did is admirable. I hope he hasn't done any lasting damage.

Well done Lee.:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Real shame. The announcment has been on the cards for months.

Wilkie did immensely well to bounce back and play again given the extent of his injury and he should be proud of himself for that alone. He would be deserving of a decent testimonial IMHO :agree:

heidtheba
03-04-2010, 01:15 PM
That's sad news indeed. Like many posters in this thread I really feel for a guy who has had to give up his career for things outwith his control. Def hope he gets some big testimonial for his pains.

Sometimes it is hard for me to see footballers as people who do work hard at their professions, that isn't a fair comment but one that I feel myself thinking at times but its worth remembering that for every prem league showboater on 100k a week (Adebayor et al) that there are some seriously committed individuals.

I hope he is able to look at people like Van Basten who have had to call time on their career yet have still had a long career in football.

Hiber-nation
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
That's really tough.

All the best in whatever you do big man.

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
What a pity for such an under rated player.

No doubt that if it hadnt been for his injuries LW would have had a pile of Scotland caps and probably could have played at EPL level.

Not a bad player with the ball at his feet and a handfull up front too, as witnessed a couple of times at ER in the recent past.

Good luck in the future big man.

KWJ
04-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Big fan of Lee Wilkie. Underrated player as has been said and scored an important goal for us against Poland i think. Maybe Iceland actually.

Did he not use to be a postie as well?

I remember reading that he was going to play on with no ligaments and would mean that he'd be in this position in later life, he certainly didn't think it'd come so soon.

Hope the operation goes well for him and he can keep a life in football at some level.

The game needs more Lee Wilkies.

Green Man
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I was really sad to hear this yesterday, LW has done incredibly to play for as long as he has. Hope United give him the testimonial he deserves.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
he's had more comebacks than Cliff Richard !

is that him FINALLY done now?

jdships
04-04-2010, 11:08 AM
A genuine pro who gave 110% every time I saw him play live or on TV
When fit was a better player than many gave him credit for.
Trust the "Arab's" look after him - he deserves some luck

:thumbsup:

Sandy
04-04-2010, 11:25 AM
A real shame for the big guy, all the best to him whatever he does in the future. No matter what it is I am sure he will give 100% as he always did on the pitch.:agree:

johnrebus
04-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Lee Wilkie was a dirty big, ruthless hacking ******* of the old school type.

:grr:

I had hoped to see him at ER at some point because he is exactly what we could do with now......,

Hopefully he can now get his knee sorted and carve out a future for himself and his family.

:agree: