View Full Version : Hibs humbling Barça

London Hibee
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
From The Guardian website today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/02/joy-of-six-uefa-cup-classics

:thumbsup:

Jim44
02-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I was in the standing enclosure with my old man at that game. I think it was the most exciting game I've ever seen at Easter Road. The crowning glory was that my dad was friends with Bobby Kinloch who scored the penalty which won the game and caused the Barcelona players to flip their lids. :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Great photo too, look at the crowd in the background:agree:

2. Hibernian 3-2 Barcelona (February 1961)

At the start of 1961 Barcelona were, in playground terms, the best team in Europe, having become the first club to knock Real Madrid out of their European Cup in November 1960. (Barça striker Luis Suarez was the star of that tie, unless you're of a mind to blame the English referee Reg Leafe, who, in the second leg, disallowed three legitimate Real goals. But that's a wild accusation for another day.) So confident of their abilities were the Catalans, the reigning champions of Spain, that they were also competing in the Fairs Cup in the same season – and were strongly fancied to win both European prizes.

Hibernian, however, were nobody's idea of a great side. The 1950s heyday of the Famous Five were long gone, with the team languishing in the lower reaches of the Scottish First Division. Hibs had been invited into the Fairs Cup partly thanks to their efforts in reaching the 1956 European Cup semi-finals, but mainly because the Edinburgh Festival was technically classified as a trade fair. But they could boast Joe Baker – later of Torino, Arsenal and Nottingham Forest fame – and the striker would prove a thorn in Barça's side when the two teams met in the quarter-final.

Baker scored twice in a ridiculous match at Camp Nou, Hibs leading 4-2 with six minutes to go before Sandor Kocsis upstaged him by completing his hat-trick and Evaristo equalised in the game's final throes. The return at Easter Road would be even more memorable. Baker started the scoreboard ticking over for the second time, but Eulogio Martínez and Kocsis turned the tie in Barça's favour before the break.

This time it was Hibs' turn to hit back. Tommy Preston equalised with 16 minutes remaining, and with five minutes to go, Hibs having two big penalty shouts turned down already, a spot kick was finally awarded when John McLeod was pulled down in the box.

Barcelona clearly wanted the Fairs Cup desperately, because the decision caused them to lose the place totally. The game was held up for seven minutes as their players set about first the referee, then the policemen who rushed on to save the official. When order was eventually restored, Bobby Kinloch slotted away a famous winner. Still aggrieved, Barcelona chased the referee down the tunnel after the match and into his room; Spanish stud marks could still be seen on the door in the early 2000s, until it made way for a new stand. Benfica later broke Barça hearts in the European Cup final, too, but there were no similar tantrums there. This was the defeat that really seemed to hurt.

Wembley67
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM

At the start of 1961 Barcelona were, in playground terms, the best team in Europe, having become the first club to knock Real Madrid out of their European Cup in November 1960. (Barça striker Luis Suarez was the star of that tie, unless you're of a mind to blame the English referee Reg Leafe, who, in the second leg, disallowed three legitimate Real goals. But that's a wild accusation for another day.) So confident of their abilities were the Catalans, the reigning champions of Spain, that they were also competing in the Fairs Cup in the same season – and were strongly fancied to win both European prizes.

Hibernian, however, were nobody's idea of a great side. The 1950s heyday of the Famous Five were long gone, with the team languishing in the lower reaches of the Scottish First Division. Hibs had been invited into the Fairs Cup partly thanks to their efforts in reaching the 1956 European Cup semi-finals, but mainly because the Edinburgh Festival was technically classified as a trade fair. But they could boast Joe Baker – later of Torino, Arsenal and Nottingham Forest fame – and the striker would prove a thorn in Barça's side when the two teams met in the quarter-final.

Baker scored twice in a ridiculous match at Camp Nou, Hibs leading 4-2 with six minutes to go before Sandor Kocsis upstaged him by completing his hat-trick and Evaristo equalised in the game's final throes. The return at Easter Road would be even more memorable. Baker started the scoreboard ticking over for the second time, but Eulogio Martínez and Kocsis turned the tie in Barça's favour before the break.

This time it was Hibs' turn to hit back. Tommy Preston equalised with 16 minutes remaining, and with five minutes to go, Hibs having two big penalty shouts turned down already, a spot kick was finally awarded when John McLeod was pulled down in the box.

Barcelona clearly wanted the Fairs Cup desperately, because the decision caused them to lose the place totally. The game was held up for seven minutes as their players set about first the referee, then the policemen who rushed on to save the official. When order was eventually restored, Bobby Kinloch slotted away a famous winner. Still aggrieved, Barcelona chased the referee down the tunnel after the match and into his room; Spanish stud marks could still be seen on the door in the early 2000s, until it made way for a new stand. Benfica later broke Barça hearts in the European Cup final, too, but there were no similar tantrums there. This was the defeat that really seemed to hurt.

:top marks

WindyMiller
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I was taken to my first game at ER in Dec. 1960, and was lucky enough to be taken to this game.

God bless you Grandad

CapitalHibs
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM

:agree:That is correct! Saw it with my own eyes:greengrin

heretoday
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I did not know about the stud marks! I've just been busy posting a new thread in error about the Guardian piece. I'll have to delete it now. How humiliating!

Some good stories on there. Lazio's Latin loonies! I think Hibs need some of that spirit!

crewetollhibee
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Technically I was there too, albeit 5 months before I was born ! Dont remember much, I had what would be called a restricted view. :cool2:

heretoday
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Technically I was there too, albeit 5 months before I was born ! Dont remember much, I had what would be called a restricted view. :cool2:

No doubt the Spaniards inspired you to give a few kicks of your own!

King Paddy
02-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Remember that night like it was yesterday. My Dad was friendly with johnney Mcleod and he got us two tickets in the south stand. What a crowd that night over 65000, i those were the day's.

CapitalHibs
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Remember that night like it was yesterday. My Dad was friendly with johnney Mcleod and he got us two tickets in the south stand. What a crowd that night over 65000, i those were the day's.

Yer memory"s goin':greengrin

We didnae have a south stand at that time - just a big yawning space known as the Dunbar End - although to be fair I think the auld stand was divided into North, South and Centre for ticketing purposes.

Think the "official" attendance was somewhere around 49,000

WindyMiller
02-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Yer memory"s goin':greengrin

We didnae have a south stand at that time - just a big yawning space known as the Dunbar End - although to be fair I think the auld stand was divided into North, South and Centre for ticketing purposes.

Think the "official" attendance was somewhere around 49,000

Plus the directors' turnstyles!

Hakim Sar
02-04-2010, 10:55 PM
mention should have been made to the fact the joe baker - hibs #9 - terrified the life out of Barca in the first leg.

a famous tactic of hibs was to move baker into a different numbered shirt for the return leg at ER (in the days before tv faces were easily mistaken/forgotten/hard to remember) and play someone else at #9 who was promptly man marked leaving baker free to roam and destroy them for a second time!!!!
:flag:

Jonnyboy
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Hibernian FC was a real force in Europe then.

Another 'first' that some may not know of is the Hibs were the first British team to defeat an Italian side over two legs in European competition.

Napoli 4 Hibs 1

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

iwasthere1972
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Hibernian FC was a real force in Europe then.

Another 'first' that some may not know of is the Hibs were the first British team to defeat an Italian side over two legs in European competition.

Napoli 4 Hibs 1

Hibs 5 Napoli 0

You'll have me greeting in a minute. Probably the best and most memorable match I have ever attended and to put 5 goals past Dino Zoff was quite an achievement.

I remember hearing the news that we had suffered a 4-1 loss in Italy (It was probably the morning after the match - no internet or Sky in those days and we were in the days of when the telly "stopped" at 11pm) and thinking that's it for another year. The rest is history.

:notworthy:

Jonnyboy
02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
You'll have me greeting in a minute. Probably the best and most memorable match I have ever attended and to put 5 goals past Dino Zoff was quite an achievement.

I remember hearing the news that we had suffered a 4-1 loss in Italy (It was probably the morning after the match - no internet or Sky in those days and we were in the days of when the telly "stopped" at 11pm) and thinking that's it for another year. The rest is history.

:notworthy:

The sporting press and probably the vast majority of Hibs fans had written us off after the first game but in his post match interview with the EEN Bob Shankley insisted his men could progress. Those comments were reported verbatim by the EEN but once the redtops got wind of it they were reported with a degree of mirth attached but the Shankley boy was spot on :thumbsup:

It was magical that night. A light mist hanging over the playing surface and Hibs going at them from the off, Bobby Duncan getting the opener with a shot from the foot of St Clair Avenue :greengrin

mim
02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
mention should have been made to the fact the joe baker - hibs #9 - terrified the life out of Barca in the first leg.

a famous tactic of hibs was to move baker into a different numbered shirt for the return leg at ER (in the days before tv faces were easily mistaken/forgotten/hard to remember) and play someone else at #9 who was promptly man marked leaving baker free to roam and destroy them for a second time!!!!
:flag:

That's something they certainly did in the semi-final second leg against Roma, after we had beaten Barcelona. The first leg had finished 2-2 at ER and the second leg finished 3-3.

Baker wore 8 and Kinloch wore 9. Despite being heavily marked, Kinloch scored the first goal and up went Baker's name on the electronic scoreboard. Kinloch then attracted even more markers, allowing Baker to get the next two. :greengrin

In the modern game Hibs would have qualified for the final on away goals, but at that time we had to replay and agreed to play in Rome a month after our season had ended. Roma won 6-0.

noseyhibby
03-04-2010, 12:07 AM
From The Guardian website today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/02/joy-of-six-uefa-cup-classics

:thumbsup:

And to think that there are jambos who selectively dismiss Hibs great runs into the latter stages of european competitions, as if the 1980s and 90s have always been the norm. They absolutely squirm that their lot haven't come near Hibs runs in these great tournaments. And what about that packed terracing. What a game, what a night, what an atmosphere -magic!!

Wembley67
03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I love when the 'auld' hibbies get together, you guys all seem to have fantastic memories of events that occurred a million years ago - always fascinating reads as well unlike the usual crap that gets spouted on here :thumbsup:

Mon the auld team :agree:

hibsbollah
03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
I love when the 'auld' hibbies get together, you guys all seem to have fantastic memories of events that occurred a million years ago - always fascinating reads as well unlike the usual crap that gets spouted on here :thumbsup:

...they make it all up:wink:

Hibercelona
03-04-2010, 08:14 AM

It didnae really happen. :agree:

I'll be spouting the same tosh to my bairns when im 65 :wink:

hibsbollah
03-04-2010, 08:33 AM
It didnae really happen. :agree:

I'll be spouting the same tosh to my bairns when im 65 :wink:

Me too. "See in 2010? That was the season. Chris Hogg marked Lionel Messi out of the game in the Champions League Final while Amadou Konte scored a 2nd half hattrick and Hibs triumphed 4-3".

"You youngsters know nowt":greengrin

thebakerboy
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Was at both games mentioned , in the Dunbar end for Barca and the old North Stand for the Napoli game .Was also in the Dunbar end for the Real Madrid friendly. Interestingly was recently at the Nou Camp and there is no mention of the Fairs Cup of 1960/61 in their museum but the European Cup is remembered for that year and all their subsequent and previous European competitions . Strange thing that is it not. But back to the wonderful European nights and many many there were right up to and including the Athens game when I spent my one and only match bouncing in the recently demolished East.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Make it all up???? :grr::grr::grr:

Next you'll be telling me I wasn't at the Hibs v The Rest of the World game when the Hibees humbled the likes of Puskas, Gento, Pele etc. What a team we had back then ........

:greengrin

sidjames
03-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Sfunny Iam in a bar now in Barca warching them hammer A madrid. I was at that game too in 61. For whatever reason I prefer Real now.

thebakerboy
03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Sfunny Iam in a bar now in Barca warching them hammer A madrid. I was at that game too in 61. For whatever reason I prefer Real now.
Sorry mate its Athletic Bibao they are gubbin

deek68
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I've met a few Barce fans over the years and i always tell them about this game (i wasn't even born). While they know nothing about it they are intrigued to hear about it. They're very passionate about their club and any bit of history is of interest to them.

Incredible really. As mentioned in above post, the photo is quite striking, just look at the crowd....

We really did beat Barcelona.