PDA

View Full Version : Top Six

Codheed
02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I know this is a basic question , but how does the "season split " thing work Re : the top six teams ?

Thanks in anticipation .

BEEJ
02-04-2010, 08:03 AM
SPL sides play one another 3 times.

Then after 33 matches the 12 team league splits into two leagues of six teams. Each league of six then runs through a series of 5 further matches to decide champions, European qualification and relegation. 38 matches in total for the season.

Once the league has been split there is no 'crossing the rubicond' from one to the other despite the fact that points totals may suggest otherwise.

Caversham Green
02-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Have you seen the Belgian version?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=bel/news/newsid=1468153.html (http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=bel/news/newsid=1468153.html)

:dizzy:

Explain that one Beej! :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Have you seen the Belgian version?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=bel/news/newsid=1468153.html (http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=bel/news/newsid=1468153.html)

:dizzy:

Explain that one Beej! :greengrin

Wow! That reads to me (at 1st glance) like you're better being clear in 7th place going into the split. If you finish 5th or 6th you don't get into Europe but if you finish 7th you do?!

mim
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow! That reads to me (at 1st glance) like you're better being clear in 7th place going into the split. If you finish 5th or 6th you don't get into Europe but if you finish 7th you do?!

Only if they can win a play off match against the team finishing fourth in the top group.

Caversham Green
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Except that the club that finishes seventh in the first part of the season gets all their points taken away and then has to win a group of four and then win a play-off with the other group of four from the 7th-14th sides. So the team that was 14th from the first part of the season can end up in Europe, even if they only scraped 14th on goal difference.....I think.

Wow right enough.

clerriehibs
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
SPL sides play one another 3 times.

Then after 33 matches the 12 team league splits into two leagues of six teams. Each league of six then runs through a series of 5 further matches to decide champions, European qualification and relegation. 38 matches in total for the season.

Once the league has been split there is no 'crossing the rubicond' from one to the other despite the fact that points totals may suggest otherwise.

Why do folks persist in even mentioning this nonsense? After the split ... IT'S A DIFFERENT LEAGUE. Points total comparisons between are utterly irrelevant; it's like comparing the final points total in the SPL with the final points totals in the english premiership. Or comparing apples with bananas. STOP MENTIONING IT!

A top 6 team goes on to play 5 of the top 6 teams in the division. A bottom 6 team goes on to play 5 of the worst teams in the division. How can you compare the results after those 5 games? YOU CAN'T! IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!

... and breathe.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Why do folks persist in even mentioning this nonsense? After the split ... IT'S A DIFFERENT LEAGUE. Points total comparisons between are utterly irrelevant; it's like comparing the final points total in the SPL with the final points totals in the english premiership. Or comparing apples with bananas. STOP MENTIONING IT!

A top 6 team goes on to play 5 of the top 6 teams in the division. A bottom 6 team goes on to play 5 of the worst teams in the division. How can you compare the results after those 5 games? YOU CAN'T! IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!

... and breathe.

:agree: It annoys me too when that point is made.

Whilst I think the split is a stupid thing and I would like to see it scrapped, you can't talk about 7th place possibly having more points than 6th place at the end of the season because these sides are literally in a different league for the final five matches.

BEEJ
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM

... and breathe.
Erm... yeah. It frustrates the hell out of me as well. :confused:

Which is why in the context of an OP asking fundamental questions about how the system is meant to operate, I felt it was worth mentioning.

Bloody hell, this Board gets worse by the day.

clerriehibs
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Erm... yeah. It frustrates the hell out of me as well. :confused:

Which is why in the context of an OP asking fundamental questions about how the system is meant to operate, I felt it was worth mentioning.

Bloody hell, this Board gets worse by the day.

The board doesn't get worse. There's no point in ever mentioning the points total may be misleading. There's every point in saying look at the line that divides top half from bottom half and don't bother ever thinking the top half is still linked to the bottom half by points.

BEEJ
02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
The board doesn't get worse. There's no point in ever mentioning the points total may be misleading. There's every point in saying look at the line that divides top half from bottom half and don't bother ever thinking the top half is still linked to the bottom half by points.
You are making the same point there. Thought you wouldn't even have mentioned it at all?

Since so many people appear to make this fundamental mistake, I felt there was value in pointing out the bleeding obvious in this instance in order to prevent the OP going down the same illogical route.