Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/158/article.aspx

the boy is a bit special

erm... nah he isn't

***** i must stress this is an old article

Future17
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM
It's out-of-date and Stevenson did once look like becoming a quality player. Hopefully, he'll find his best position and the confidence will come back.

One for Stokes when he was at Sunderland:

http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/12/article.aspx

"Patrick Clegg" :greengrin

hibeeleicester
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
At the time he was showing great potential :agree:

Maybe this proves what can happen if you over use the youngsters.

RIP
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/158/article.aspx

the boy is a bit special

erm... nah he isn't

Quoting a three-year old article :faf:

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
do you honestly think that i didnt know that it was an old article? come on get a grip

just amazing how wrong predictions can be - hence why i posted it

Diclonius
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/158/article.aspx (http://fourfourtwo.com/interviews/boysabitspecial/158/article.aspx)

the boy is a bit special

erm... nah he isn't

***** i must stress this is an old article

Is there any point in bringing this up whatsoever? :bye:

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2010, 01:28 PM
When you see who else is on that list(agbonlahor johnston and traore)Stevenson would never have been that good but should be alot better than he is now.

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Is there any point in bringing this up whatsoever? :bye:

yes i feel it merits a thread as it is one of our academy youngsters who is clearly failing and is a topic that deserves discussion. 3 years ago he was tipped for the top (on a scottish/uk level at least) - last night was the latest in a long line of empty performances from lewis.

why even bother posting a reply if the thread is not of interest to you? strange decision

Diclonius
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
yes i feel it merits a thread as it is one of our academy youngsters who is clearly failing and is a topic that deserves discussion. 3 years ago he was tipped for the top (on a scottish/uk level at least) - last night was the latest in a long line of empty performances from lewis.

Yes, something that has been discussed nearly three or four times before.

Do you really think that bringing up proof - that we all knew existed - is going to add any substance to the discussion whatsoever apart from wallowing in our own misery?

If you really wanted to bring this up then you could have posted a link in a relevant topic rather than creating a brand new one.

why even bother posting a reply if the thread is not of interest to you? strange decision

Is it interesting to me. It is interesting to know that our own support like to kick our players when they're down, having already well and truly drained the life out of the subject.

Woody1985
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Does anyone else read Champions?

There's a Rooney article in it and it has some of the 'Next Rooney's' in it. Now, I have always found Champions the most credible and exclusive football mag for top interviews etc etc.

However, they had John Fleck in it as he's been hailed as the Scottish Rooney. These ****ers even have one of the top football mags there is believing their hype. :bitchy:

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
tbh most things on this board have been discussed multiple times with new threads started - it's just the way things regenerate themselves.

but you better go and tell off those who are kicking john hughes when he is down then. i think lewis has been given enough of a security blanket in the past and tolerances made because he is young. however, he has also been given a good few chances now to show that something is improving and that he is maturing.

my angle is not to mock lewis - more along the lines of the following :

1 - has the club failed his development?
2 - has the player failed to progress?
3 - was the hype unjustified in first place?

undoubtedly spoken about before, but has reinforced relevance after last night. rather than drag up an old thread it is infinitely quicker to do it this way and get a bit more exposure to anyone who wishes to view the thread and add any new opinions or thoughts.

Cocaine&Caviar
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't believe that a player that shows as much potential, on such a big stage as Lewis did can just lose it. Therefore, I would like to see him from now on played only as a central midfielder, and in order for this to boost his confidence, I'd like to see him go on loan to a lower SPL side, or higher 1st Division team for next season to get a run of games, and if he impresses give him a new deal, if not then we haven't really lost anything.

Bayern Bru
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
tbh most things on this board have been discussed multiple times with new threads started - it's just the way things regenerate themselves.

but you better go and tell off those who are kicking john hughes when he is down then. i think lewis has been given enough of a security blanket in the past and tolerances made because he is young. however, he has also been given a good few chances now to show that something is improving and that he is maturing.

So explain the hammerings that Wotherspoon, Stokes and Hanlon to name but three have taken on this board. All are younger or around the same age as Lewis - are they all given a 'security blanket' because they're young?

No. Admittedly they've not been on the scene as long as Stevenson has but that's a relatively moot point. They've also not had one superb game and then been criticised ever since for not reproducing that form.

I think everyone on this board, nay everyone who supports Hibs can see that Stevenson hasn't reached his potential yet. But that's probably attributed to the difference in playing under Collins to playing under Mixu and subsequently Yogi. Additionally he's not been playing regularly and when he has been playing, it's not always been in the same position. I've seen him in at least three different positions this season; LB, CM and LM.

To answer your three points:

1. Not the club itself, but possibly the personnel training him. He played his best game for Hibs, or his best few games under Collins with the presence of a fitness coach, two factors missing pretty much since the CIS final with Mixu and Yogi who are both vastly different to Collins in terms of vision and ideas and most likely training methods.

2. Undoubtedly, but I don't think it's entirely his fault as I suggested previously. It could be that Collins' style suited Stevenson more than Mixu and Yogi's style do. Ultimately I think it's unfair to just dismiss him outright however.

3. Not unjustified, but probably very premature. Anytime a player has a match-winning performance, or a MOTM performance in a big game, the hype is unbelievable. Lewis probably wouldn't have featured had it not been for that cup final.

He has had his chances but they've been few and far between in my opinion. And I really don't think it's fair to judge him on his performances under Mixu, which was when he featured a lot.

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM
i shouldnt really have to explain the 'hammerings' that wotherspoon and hanlon have taken because i wasn't party to that. and i see much more in those two than i see in stevenson. i stand by my descriptions of his performances as 'empty' as in they are not absolute howlers (he is not disgracing himself) ... but he is nowhere near the standard of the spl which is alarming.

agree with a previous suggestion of putting him out on loan.

admittedly different systems suit different players but i just dont think lewis has a massive future in the game. it's a shame for him and the club but i just dont think he is good enough.

hibee_girl
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't believe that a player that shows as much potential, on such a big stage as Lewis did can just lose it. Therefore, I would like to see him from now on played only as a central midfielder, and in order for this to boost his confidence, I'd like to see him go on loan to a lower SPL side, or higher 1st Division team for next season to get a run of games, and if he impresses give him a new deal, if not then we haven't really lost anything.

:agree: I totally agree, I like Stevenson as a player but lately he hasn't offered us much.

JC got the best out of him. I'm pretty sure I've read that Stevenson doesn't drink either so he clearly follows the JC school of football

Bayern Bru
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
i shouldnt really have to explain the 'hammerings' that wotherspoon and hanlon have taken because i wasn't party to that. and i see much more in those two than i see in stevenson. i stand by my descriptions of his performances as 'empty' as in they are not absolute howlers (he is not disgracing himself) ... but he is nowhere near the standard of the spl which is alarming.

agree with a previous suggestion of putting him out on loan.

admittedly different systems suit different players but i just dont think lewis has a massive future in the game. it's a shame for him and the club but i just dont think he is good enough.

Generally a rhetorical question in that I wasn't expecting an explanation from you as I wouldn't second guess whether or not you had a part in those threads.

I see what you're saying, and I'd like to think that Lewis will eventually recreate his CIS final performance. I guess time will tell, really.

Oscar Lomax
01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
do you honestly think that i didnt know that it was an old article? come on get a grip

just amazing how wrong predictions can be - hence why i posted it

Lewis isn't that bad for crying out loud ! I personally like him and maybe Miller can take a look at Lewis's work ethic and maybe try and replicate it !