PDA

View Full Version : The Managers Quotes That Highlight Hughes Incompetence

smurf
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
"We didn't get to grips with their midfield" John Hughes.

I think every one of us 8000 (now that is a stat to worry about) who entered the ground feared the worst with that lightweight midget midfield selected by Hughes.

And that's exactly how it unfolded. And Hughes states that after the game....

But during the game what did he do to counter our Midfields battering at the hands of Dundee Utd?

Nothing. Not. a. Single. Thing.

Why did Lewis Stevenson even come back out after half time. He was completely posted missing that first half.

Why not perhaps put a bit of strength in midfield by swapping Ian Murray with Lewis Stevenson?

Why not perhaps put Stevenson at left back, Murray in the centre of defence and Bamba in midfield?

Why not perhaps put midfielder Thicot in midfield and put McCormack at right back?

Why not perhaps put Bamba in midfield, Thicot in the centre of defence and McCormack at right back?

Why not put McCormack in his natural position in the centre of defence and put Bamba in midfield?

Hughes and 'Chipper' did nothing. Sat and watched it the entire 90 minutes doing absolutely sweet FA and then afterwards state the obvious "We didn't get to grips with their midfield".

Why the hell didn't he at least try to do something?

Utter incompetence yet again that will cost us dearly.

Second quotation;

"Hibs can't defend" Peter Houston.

And didn't you know exactly how to exploit that Peter? What a slap in the coupon for Hughes that quote is.

The first job any decent coach/manager does in a new position is sort out his defence. All successful sides are built from the back (Unless your Barcelona and got to be honest The Hibs just are no quite in that league....) and last night we yet again witnessed the absolute shambles that we are at the back.

Quite rightly Hughes offloaded the hopeless David Van Zanten. But where was his replacement?

Asking a very talented young kid who is a midfielder to cover the position all season was a ridiculous and unfair ask. The result is that the young laddie is burnt out and has had his confidence hit.

We've paid a price for not having a proper right back this season. Thicot at right back.... Oh dear.

And what about goalkeeping. I reckon we must be spending around 500K a year on this madness of the 'Goalkeeping school'. Including all goalkeepers and the goalkeeping coach it must not be a kick in the backside of this figure...Just how Rod Petrie gave this utter nonsense the green light is beyond me.... We are Hibs FFS not Manchester United.

And we get goals conceded like last nights 3rd and 4th. From a keeper dropped and reinstated within 7 days.

Dundee United were impressive last night. We looked miles away from them. And in terms of squad investment and cost we are... Miles in front of them.

The difference is IMHO that they are a product of a management/coaching structure that know what they are doing. Levein & Houston went in at Tannadice and sorted them out starting at the BACK.

And finally this stuff from Yogi that we are "Soft". Yes we are. But you've had nearly a full season with backing from your board in TWO transfer windows. It was you who decided to use the January transfer window on adding another TWO Goalkeepers to this nonsense 'Goalkeeping School' and on a totally lacking in any match fitness Gow.

It's your responsibility John Hughes that we are "Soft". It's your responsibility John Hughes that we "Can't defend". It's your responsibility John Hughes that in Midfield we "Can't get to grip".

All we hear from you is this "The boys have done great for me". Sounds like desparation to keep them on your side. Then "I'm not patronizing the supporters"... When that's exactly what you are now doing...

You appear no different from Mixu. There's no football. It's get the ball forward to the front men because "I've got goals in my team".

Lucky that in Riordan (who you've mucked about all season) and in Stokes (very good signing but proof the board have backed you very very well) who last night you dropped....

Incompetence that has left Easter Road as witnessed last night on and off the park one hell of a depressing place (again).

The board must be as concerned as we are.

Phil MaGlass
01-04-2010, 10:54 AM
:agree:Hear hear:agree:

Forthview
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Excellent post Smurf; you have highlighted our obvious weaknesses and the fact that other coaches and managers have done the same.
Any coach who leaves Stokes on the bench and allows Nish to lose the game with another appaling performance needs to explain himself to his bosses and customers.

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Love the post mate very good points!

the thing is good players don't magically appear just because it's a January transfer window. I think yogi capitalized on getting gow and brown and has quite rightly built a strong goalkeeping school. However, I totally agree with you that to drop stack, then drop smith, and now presumeably drop stack again could be counter-productive and ruin 3 good goalies!

the thing about your praise for Dundee utd is that it is success built on 3 years of faith in the manager and patience supplemented by some good youngsters coming through. should we not give yogi some time?

I agree with you about not replacing van basten, sorry van zanten, but for me if u take bamba and Murray out of defence all you are doing is taking 2 defenders and playing them out of position, something we are already doing a bit too much. I agree that maybe thicot should have had a crack in midfield with McCormack at RB. you are spot on about spoony, knackered him and it's very alarming.

Imo I don't think we should lose the heid and panic, if yogi was sacked it sets us back another year and we can't afford that. I'd rather back him in the summer and it's sink or swim next year. hopefully he swims but he should still get this summer to clear deadwood like stevenson and thicot etc

as per my previous thread I think we have been set up this year to score goals in every game as a short term fix to see where it took us because the depth of squad was just not available. for me it all points to 1 more transfer window for
Yogi and things must look more solid. easier to get players in summer than january if u ask me and yogi will know what needs fixing

Leith Green
01-04-2010, 11:17 AM

I think every one of us 8000 (now that is a stat to worry about) who entered the ground feared the worst with that lightweight midget midfield selected by Hughes.

But during the game what did he do to counter our Midfields battering at the hands of Dundee Utd?

Why did Lewis Stevenson even come back out after half time. He was completely posted missing that first half.

Why not perhaps put a bit of strength in midfield by swapping Ian Murray with Lewis Stevenson?

Why not perhaps put Stevenson at left back, Murray in the centre of defence and Bamba in midfield?

Why not perhaps put midfielder Thicot in midfield and put McCormack at right back?

Why not perhaps put Bamba in midfield, Thicot in the centre of defence and McCormack at right back?

Why not put McCormack in his natural position in the centre of defence and put Bamba in midfield?

Hughes and 'Chipper' did nothing. Sat and watched it the entire 90 minutes doing absolutely sweet FA and then afterwards state the obvious "We didn't get to grips with their midfield".

Second quotation;

And didn't you know exactly how to exploit that Peter? What a slap in the coupon for Hughes that quote is.

The first job any decent coach/manager does in a new position is sort out his defence. All successful sides are built from the back (Unless your Barcelona and got to be honest The Hibs just are no quite in that league....) and last night we yet again witnessed the absolute shambles that we are at the back.

Quite rightly Hughes offloaded the hopeless David Van Zanten. But where was his replacement?

Asking a very talented young kid who is a midfielder to cover the position all season was a ridiculous and unfair ask. The result is that the young laddie is burnt out and has had his confidence hit.

We've paid a price for not having a proper right back this season. Thicot at right back.... Oh dear.

And what about goalkeeping. I reckon we must be spending around 500K a year on this madness of the 'Goalkeeping school'. Including all goalkeepers and the goalkeeping coach it must not be a kick in the backside of this figure...Just how Rod Petrie gave this utter nonsense the green light is beyond me.... We are Hibs FFS not Manchester United.

And we get goals conceded like last nights 3rd and 4th. From a keeper dropped and reinstated within 7 days.

Dundee United were impressive last night. We looked miles away from them. And in terms of squad investment and cost we are... Miles in front of them.

The difference is IMHO that they are a product of a management/coaching structure that know what they are doing. Levein & Houston went in at Tannadice and sorted them out starting at the BACK.

And finally this stuff from Yogi that we are "Soft". Yes we are. But you've had nearly a full season with backing from your board in TWO transfer windows. It was you who decided to use the January transfer window on adding another TWO Goalkeepers to this nonsense 'Goalkeeping School' and on a totally lacking in any match fitness Gow.

It's your responsibility John Hughes that we are "Soft". It's your responsibility John Hughes that we "Can't defend". It's your responsibility John Hughes that in Midfield we "Can't get to grip".

All we hear from you is this "The boys have done great for me". Sounds like desparation to keep them on your side. Then "I'm not patronizing the supporters"... When that's exactly what you are now doing...

You appear no different from Mixu. There's no football. It's get the ball forward to the front men because "I've got goals in my team".

Lucky that in Riordan (who you've mucked about all season) and in Stokes (very good signing but proof the board have backed you very very well) who last night you dropped....

Incompetence that has left Easter Road as witnessed last night on and off the park one hell of a depressing place (again).

Agree 100 per cent with all of the above :agree:

persevere1875
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I seem to recall questioning the sanity of having that many keepers on the books at ER back in January when quite clearly other positions were in desperate need of strenthening and got shot down in flames for it :grr:

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Second quotation;

:top marks

Sammy7nil
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
VERY GOOD POST.
However I think Stokes had to get a seat on the bench (alleged cold) his effort has not matched that of Riordon or Nish in recent weeks you cant play 3 of them so Stokes benched.

proud_and_green
01-04-2010, 11:43 AM
VERY GOOD POST.
However I think Stokes had to get a seat on the bench (alleged cold) his effort has not matched that of Riordon or Nish in recent weeks you cant play 3 of them so Stokes benched.

20 Goals though. I do accept your point about his workrate and that is - i think - the same criticism that Kris BOyd has had from Rangers fans. But when he is our top scorer and the only one really looking like scoring then he has to start IMO.

BEEJ
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
The OP captures the key criticism that lies at Yogi's door; an apparent inability to change tactics or personnel during the game to improve the situation.

However, Nish was deployed last night because:

> Stokes had apparently been unwell and was unable to play the full 90;
> Nish does bring some height and physique to a team that is largely light-weight in that department.

While the midfield selected clearly lacked the necessary bite, at least we finally kicked off with a 4-4-2 formation which shows some recognition pre-match of the opponents strengths and likely game-plan.

Dinkydoo
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Agree with basically everything you've said Smurf.

JH has been giving us the same sorry old excuses all season (much the same as Mixu did) however I don't think it's really fair to compare the two entirely. The one thing that Yogi can't complain about last night is the work ethic. IMO the players tried and were very unlucky at times (especially when Nish hit the post at 1-2). They as individuals played some decent stuff but we didn't play as a team.

Everytime we went to attack our players were crowded out by Untd players and forced to play in very tight areas of the pitch. The main issue I have with last ngith is that Yogi did sweet F.A to combat this, he didn't change shape (much like Mixu) and decided to throw on another two strikers (again, much like Mixu). That to me would never solve the problem of not having the midfield possession to provide some service to our talented forwards.

all in all, we haven't had a terrible season (yet!). We've showed promise which is more than we ever did under Mixu - next season Hughes must get the players to transform that potential and show a bit of consistency.

If not, he won't succeed as manager of this great club.

It's not time to panic though, not yet anyway.

GGTTH

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
The OP captures the key criticism that lies at Yogi's door; an apparent inability to change tactics or personnel during the game to improve the situation.

However, Nish was deployed last night because:

> Stokes had apparently been unwell and was unable to play the full 90;
> Nish does bring some height and physique to a team that is largely light-weight in that department.

While the midfield selected clearly lacked the necessary bite, at least we finally kicked off with a 4-4-2 formation which shows some recognition pre-match of the opponents strengths and likely game-plan.

ehhh???

what game were you at????

1875 NO 1
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Second quotation;

all valid points - Id have thot with him sitting in the stand he would have clearley see our failings.

Dundee Utd played a solid 4-4-2.

2 Centre halfs who clear their lines - ours struggle as Yogi highlights in tonights evening news.

natural width in the midfield - we dont have
2 strong central midfields - we dont have
a target man - we dont have

With the goals that Deek abd Stoakes score, when decent signings we should be finishing 3rd. But has Yogi got it tactically.

Love the Green
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Second quotation;

SUPERB POST :top marks

"keep the faith"

Vince White
01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I see Yogi's also quoted in today's Evening News saying that third place is still achievable. Dream on. My money's on fifth place, and that only because I don't think the yams are good enough to make up a ten point gap.

hibees53
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Great Post,exactly how I feel about the situation at Easter Road at the moment.I feel it is time for the board to stop going after the cheap options for a manager and start looking for a manager with at least some clue regarding tactics and playing players in there correct positions.

basehibby
01-04-2010, 02:54 PM
I see Yogi's also quoted in today's Evening News saying that third place is still achievable. Dream on. My money's on fifth place, and that only because I don't think the yams are good enough to make up a ten point gap.

My money would be on fourth place - Dundee Utd deserve 3rd for their consistency over the season and they're very likely to get it.
Motherwell on the other hand have had a boost from their new manager - but I can see them falling off a bit and I think we'll have enough to beat them to fourth.

Re the OP - you make some well argued points but the negativity is just deafening - eg. your rubbishing of the "goalkeeping school" is needless and unwarranted - or maybe you'd rather we were still relying on Maka between the sticks?!?
You make a lot of alternative line up suggestions - most of which don't make much sense to me. eg I think Thicot has been doing fine at RB and we needed Murray in defence vs Utd. Lewis was tried at LB vs another big physical side in the Yams the other week and his lack of height was badly exposed. We could try Bamba in midfield (an option I'd favour) but that inevitably means weakening the defence so isn't any kind of guaranteed cure-all.
What it comes down to is that we have limited options in defence and are being made to pay for it in recent weeks. But your inference is that no attempt was made to rectify this situation in January. This is not the information I had at the time - strenuous efforts were apparently made to sign both Darren Barr and a very promising young right back from Man Utd. Neither came off - but presumably from what you are posting you'd have liked Yogi and Rice to have signed another RB anyway - ANY RB - like DVZ Mk 2 perhaps???
Like I said you make some good points - it's not like recent form hasn't been cause for concern afterall - but your use of phrases such as "utter incompetence" are well wide of the mark and reek of the hysteria that comes from the puncturing of overblown expectations.

HFC 0-7
01-04-2010, 02:54 PM

the thing is good players don't magically appear just because it's a January transfer window. I think yogi capitalized on getting gow and brown and has quite rightly built a strong goalkeeping school. However, I totally agree with you that to drop stack, then drop smith, and now presumeably drop stack again could be counter-productive and ruin 3 good goalies!

the thing about your praise for Dundee utd is that it is success built on 3 years of faith in the manager and patience supplemented by some good youngsters coming through. should we not give yogi some time?

I agree with you about not replacing van basten, sorry van zanten, but for me if u take bamba and Murray out of defence all you are doing is taking 2 defenders and playing them out of position, something we are already doing a bit too much. I agree that maybe thicot should have had a crack in midfield with McCormack at RB. you are spot on about spoony, knackered him and it's very alarming.

Imo I don't think we should lose the heid and panic, if yogi was sacked it sets us back another year and we can't afford that. I'd rather back him in the summer and it's sink or swim next year. hopefully he swims but he should still get this summer to clear deadwood like stevenson and thicot etc

as per my previous thread I think we have been set up this year to score goals in every game as a short term fix to see where it took us because the depth of squad was just not available. for me it all points to 1 more transfer window for
Yogi and things must look more solid. easier to get players in summer than january if u ask me and yogi will know what needs fixing

I think you may be right in saying that the players maybe werent there to sign in January, however, what is sackable IMO is that Yogi seems to be unable to sort tactics out and is getting nothing out the players. If it was just one or two players that werent performing you could put it down to just them, however, whens its the whole team thats underperforming by their own standards then you have to worry. Hughes done a good job at the start of the season, but clearly something isnt right at hibs and it must be down to hughes.

bawheid
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Second quotation;

That wasn't the actual quote though was it? I listened to Houston last night and read his comments again this morning:

I said that it was going to be an open game because Hibs just don't know how to defend and they attack teams.

It was meant as a compliment, so I doubt Hughes will see it as a "slap in the coupon".

Houston is actually incorrect, because for a large part of this season Hibs certainly did know how to defend.

Oscar Lomax
01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Great Post,exactly how I feel about the situation at Easter Road at the moment.I feel it is time for the board to stop going after the cheap options for a manager and start looking for a manager with at least some clue regarding tactics and playing players in there correct positions.

:agree:

Andy74
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Second quotation;

You may have a long list of people agreeing with you here but I don't see that any of the changes you suggested in the team would have made a blind bit of difference.

With the benefit of some time and some transfer windows I'm hoping a few people will have some apologies to make over their lack of any sort of patience.

noseyhibby
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Second quotation;

An accurate assessment Smurf. :agree:I can't disagree with any of it, but I still maintain that hughes needs another two transfer windows to get us to where he and we want to be. Only then will we know if his talk has just been that -talk.

Anto the Hibernian
01-04-2010, 03:09 PM
That wasn't the actual quote though was it? I listened to Houston last night and read his comments again this morning:

It was meant as a compliment, so I doubt Hughes will see it as a "slap in the coupon".

Houston is actually incorrect, because for a large part of this season Hibs certainly did know how to defend.

:agree:

Some people are just looking for any excuse just now

Hakim Sar
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I think you may be right in saying that the players maybe werent there to sign in January, however, what is sackable IMO is that Yogi seems to be unable to sort tactics out and is getting nothing out the players. If it was just one or two players that werent performing you could put it down to just them, however, whens its the whole team thats underperforming by their own standards then you have to worry. Hughes done a good job at the start of the season, but clearly something isnt right at hibs and it must be down to hughes.

yeah i know what you mean about an inability to reshuffle during the game when he sees what 9k other hibbies can see in broad daylight

by the same token, we have had a very unsettled team recently and it looks like an attempt by yogi to reshuffle and adapt a ''horses for courses'' mentality. but he seems to be getting it wrong.

its not just about the players having guts and desire.. its the manager too and he has to step up to the plate! agree mate?

still think the players he has inherited is the main problem but we are all in this together so i accept both sides of argument

BEEJ
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
ehhh???

what game were you at????
Well it may have morphed between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 until Stevenson was subbed. But we were not playing 4-3-3, which was my main point.

Which game were you at???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Judas Iscariot
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Well it may have morphed between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 until Stevenson was subbed. But we were not playing 4-3-3, which was my main point.

Which game were you at???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

If that was meant to be a 4-4-2 then I'm very worried..

BEEJ
01-04-2010, 07:38 PM
If that was meant to be a 4-4-2 then I'm very worried..
You'll need to enlighten me then.

Or perhaps there was little or no formation to speak of and it was just kind of random out there? Players expressing themselves in a free-flowing, interchangeable kind of way. :greengrin

H113EE5
01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Happy to agree with every line of the OP :thumbsup:

We're a shambles right now.... no shape, no leadership and the smallest midfield that would be the smallest midfield in Lilliput!

resident_Arab
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Levein turned things round immediately at United

What people seem to be forgetting about Levein when he took over at United, is that he was taking over a club very much in crisis, a club that had been in the doldrums the previos 6-7 years and in its worst run since the 50's

A team that had won 2 drew 11 and lost 15 under Brewster, who in the previous 6 games before Levein taking charge had just lost to hearts (4-0 a) hibs (3-0 h) 1st div st johnstone (3-0 a) celtic (4-1 h) aberdeen (3-1 a) and falkirk (5-1 a) - bottom at the end of October 2006 after 12 games with 8pts and heading for definite relegation.

We ended up winning 6 out of the next 10 games including beating Rangers 2-1, Aberdeen 3-1 and a 2-2 draw at CP in which we led 2nil, he signed Gomis, Daly and Dillon that January, we managed another decent run inwhich we thumped hearts 4-0 at tyncastle and aberdeen 4-2 at pittodrie in consecutive away games(they finished 3rd n 4th) and were clear of relegation by the split, ended up 9th on 42pts.

Cant compare to Hughes taking over a Hibs side who have been top 6 for a few years now, two different situations.

Arch Stanton
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Levein turned things round immediately at United

What people seem to be forgetting about Levein when he took over at United, is that he was taking over a club very much in crisis, a club that had been in the doldrums the previos 6-7 years and in its worst run since the 50's

A team that had won 2 drew 11 and lost 15 under Brewster, who in the previous 6 games before Levein taking charge had just lost to hearts (4-0 a) hibs (3-0 h) 1st div st johnstone (3-0 a) celtic (4-1 h) aberdeen (3-1 a) and falkirk (5-1 a) - bottom at the end of October 2006 after 12 games with 8pts and heading for definite relegation.

We ended up winning 6 out of the next 10 games including beating Rangers 2-1, Aberdeen 3-1 and a 2-2 draw at CP in which we led 2nil, he signed Gomis, Daly and Dillon that January, we managed another decent run inwhich we thumped hearts 4-0 at tyncastle and aberdeen 4-2 at pittodrie in consecutive away games(they finished 3rd n 4th) and were clear of relegation by the split, ended up 9th on 42pts.

Cant compare to Hughes taking over a Hibs side who have been top 6 for a few years now, two different situations.

There's always someone gonna come along and ruin a good story. :bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
There's always someone gonna come along and ruin a good story. :bitchy:

They finished 9th, 5th, 5th and now probably 3rd - if that's not gradual progression then i don't know what it is.

BEEJ
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
They finished 9th, 5th, 5th and now probably 3rd - if that's not gradual progression then i don't know what it is.
Back in June 2008 when Levein was moving early in the summer transfer window to secure his latest batch of signings, I do recall substantial amounts of derision being cast in the direction of Levein, Tannadice and any Hibs.net poster commenting favourably (or even neutrally) at the players being signed up in that spell. Mocking shouts of "Who?" and "Not Hibs class!" abounded.

How times have changed.

Big_D
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
What was Stack meant to do about the 4th goal exactly ? :confused:

down-the-slope
01-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Not let it go under him:rolleyes:

Big_D
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Not let it go under him:rolleyes:

No keeper saves everything , as soon as they broke it was going to be a goal

smurf
01-04-2010, 10:40 PM

He defended it like an outfield player.

Big_D
02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
He defended it like an outfield player.

Pity the outfield players were posted missing en masse just before he did

stanton_4
02-04-2010, 09:19 AM

I agree entirely. Dont panic Captain Mainwaring!

BSEJVT
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Second quotation;

10/10

Its not a new phenomenon either, its been happening all year.

The signings of Brown & Gow were utter madness, where a blind man could see where our problem's lay.

By all means sign them, but not at that point, at the point at which the guys they were replacing were already out the door.

TBH it worries me a bit that the board have allowed Mixu and then Hughes to make such basic mistakes.

Eaststand
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Second quotation;

That's a very good comprehensive post Smurf and you raise some excellent points.
Where I would disagree with you though is on Yogi's managerial ability

Yogi can only select our team from the squad he's got, and remember he inherited a lot of them. He has to set the team up to our current strengths which are attacking and (hopefully) we outscore the opposition..and he has to do that quite simply cos we're weak in defense with no real defensive midfield either.
Yogi must have been tempted to bring in players for the midfield / defensive area in January, e.g players like Barr for example, but he chose the Yams, and for immediate transfers, it would have probably involved a transfer fee in most cases
Yogi knows what we need, but couldn't get them in the Jan window if they weren't available. Most players contracts expire at the end of a season and not in Jan, so he's having to be patient to get what he knows we need. I reckon we can all expect a very busy transfer window this Summer.

GGTTH