PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person

GreenArmyyy!
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Am I the only person that thought that Hibs played pretty well last night, we didn't exactly set the heather alight but I thought we were the better team until the third goal went in and killed the game as a contest, if it wasn't for a truly shocking performance from that guy that ran around the pitch and called himself a referee then I felt we would probably won the game, Thought that Cregg grabbed his rare chance and played really well, the only thing with last night that is beginning to be the norm is the subs they were too late and how Galbraith was left sitting on the bench I will never know :grr: oh well its good to be a Hibee :boo hoo:

Cropley10
01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes I think you are.

What I saw was some incredibly average players with no bottle.

We have a handful of decent players - one of whom can't wait to leave. The rest...

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 10:30 AM
all i saw was a team with no shape.

we had a gk who cant kick, 4 defenders, 1 left midfielder, 4 midget centre midfielders no right midfielder & a complete numpty upfront.

the new centre tactics are laughable..... looked like we were awaiting KO at a rugby match.

if yogi doesnt get over his obsession with his 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 then we might as well forget 3rd or 4th place this season.

everybody keeps going on about how good we have been and that we've been 3rd most of the season..... thats because we were an unknown quantity andf with the players we brought in we should still be there........but now every team knows how to beat yogis team & tactics.

i dont know how he cannot see what everyone else sees!! :grr:

hibernator
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Am I the only person that thought that Hibs played pretty well last night, we didn't exactly set the heather alight but I thought we were the better team until the third goal went in and killed the game as a contest, if it wasn't for a truly shocking performance from that guy that ran around the pitch and called himself a referee then I felt we would probably won the game, Thought that Cregg grabbed his rare chance and played really well, the only thing with last night that is beginning to be the norm is the subs they were too late and how Galbraith was left sitting on the bench I will never know :grr: oh well its good to be a Hibee :boo hoo:
We made enough chances thats for sure but there has to be questions asked re the defending on goals 2 and 3, Miller should have closed Swanston down and Sol needed to to better against Goodwillie, so yes we played OK in certain aspects but performed poorly in the critical area of defence.

Sudds_1
01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
yes

RoslinInstHibby
01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes I think you are.

What I saw was some incredibly average players with no bottle.

We have a handful of decent players - one of whom can't wait to leave. The rest...

:confused: am i missing something

Steve20
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
We were awful last night.

Westie1875
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
:confused: am i missing something

Bamba

greenlex
01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I think it was a lot better last night. Not brilliant but a lot better. Stack and miller have had better games but the rest put a shift in. Poor ref and linesman on the bare side especially spoiled what at one point wasa decent game.
For those that thought we were awful I can only assume that was your first game in a couple of months?

CheesyHibby
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
i actually agree, i thought for the fist half we were actually the better team, what worries me tho is once the third goal went in it was game over, no fight, passion or desire which is what dundee u had in spadeloads, hence their victory.

marinello59
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
i actually agree, i thought for the fist half we were actually the better team, what worries me tho is once the third goal went in it was game over, no fight, passion or desire which is what dundee u had in spadeloads, hence their victory.

We had plenty of players giving their all out there. The truth is we were beaten by a better team. It happens.

Hibstrooper
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

No your not.

Last night's performance was a big improvement on recent weeks. We were unlucky to come up against a team on top form. We looked a lot better at 4-4-2.

Bristolhibby
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
No your not.

Last night's performance was a big improvement on recent weeks. We were unlucky to come up against a team on top form. We looked a lot better at 4-4-2.

Aggree,

Was pleased that we went for a 4-4-2. If Nishes post shot had of gone in it would have been 2-2 and game on.

A marked improvement, however we still need to get back to how we were playing. I cant count how many times passes went nowhere, or worse to a Dundee Utd player, Miller, Hogg, Stack, Bamba, Thicot, etc, the list goes on.

Also agreed, the ref was terrible.

Improved, but MUST compete and think.

J

mim
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
We had plenty of players giving their all out there. The truth is we were beaten by a better team. It happens.

I agree with this and with the OP.

That was a much better showing than recent efforts - I only saw the game on Alba.

United were thrown a life line by the penalty decision. I wouldn't have given a penalty, but I can see why the ref did.

Had Nish taken either or both of his chances - when he went round the keeper and when he hit the post - I think we may well still have gone on to win the game.

United are a very good side and, as Goodwillie said after the game, they are really enjoying training and playing for Houston - this may be the key.

Joe Baker II
01-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Plenty of problems at Hibs (and not just on the playing side) but have seen a lot worse than last night and we might have beaten quite few SPL teams on that performance - United were excellent. Though not claiming we looked good.

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
No your not.

Aggree,

Was pleased that we went for a 4-4-2. If Nishes post shot had of gone in it would have been 2-2 and game on.

A marked improvement, however we still need to get back to how we were playing. I cant count how many times passes went nowhere, or worse to a Dundee Utd player, Miller, Hogg, Stack, Bamba, Thicot, etc, the list goes on.

Also agreed, the ref was terrible.

Improved, but MUST compete and think.

J

what formation do you think yogi will play on sunday??

HFC 0-7
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree with this and with the OP.

That was a much better showing than recent efforts - I only saw the game on Alba.

United were thrown a life line by the penalty decision. I wouldn't have given a penalty, but I can see why the ref did.

Had Nish taken either or both of his chances - when he went round the keeper and when he hit the post - I think we may well still have gone on to win the game.

United are a very good side and, as Goodwillie said after the game, they are really enjoying training and playing for Houston - this may be the key.

I am surprised that someone your age thought that last night performance had players with a lot of fight. You would surely have seen the good hibs sides over the years where there were real players that gave their all.

munchar
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM

I left with a strange feeling. Were we unlucky or bad?. Think it was a bit of both. We could have been 2 or 3 up before they scored. Rash challenge from Hogg changed the game imo. We were well on top till then. Nish`s pathetic attempt to shoot/round keeper/shoot/pass?, then his sitter when he hit post. :grr: The 3rd & 4th goals were a shambles.

So imo, the game was there for the taking, but we threw it away. :bitchy:

Hibstrooper
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM

I think we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation; what about you?

Sprouleflyer
01-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Yogi's magic 8 ball says - Reply hazy, try again.

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I think we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation; what about you?

an actual 4-4-1-1 or yogis 4-4-1-1 which is actually a 4-3-2-1??

i think he'll play the ineffective yogi 4-4-1-1 :agree:

Bad Martini
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM
It wasn't as bad as the score would suggest (that could have come right out Yogi's mouth) but equally, it NEEDN'T have been the way it ended up.

We can blame ourselves, not Utd's amazing prowess and footballing excellence...Nish should have buried that shot instead of taking an extra step and squaring it to the utd defender....Hogg should have been more careful. Stack should have engaged his brain on more than one occassion...a lot of SHOULD have's there.....but, we DID "look" moderately less shight than we have. Given recent embarassments, thats improvement though nothing like, and nowhere near, what we could and should have done, given the way it panned out, particularly after netting after 38 seconds.

WestEndHibee
01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm with you on this! I thought we were trying, and succeeding at rare points, to play a good style of football. I liked the new look 4-4-2 set-up and thought cregg deserves 100% to keep his place as he gave the United midfielders no time on the ball. Think the mistake was to play nish instead of stokes otherwise we may've taken more chances and killed the game. Still sickened by the result and thought the ref was an absolute joke.

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm with you on this! I thought we were trying, and succeeding at rare points, to play a good style of football. I liked the new look 4-4-2 set-up and thought cregg deserves 100% to keep his place as he gave the United midfielders no time on the ball. Think the mistake was to play nish instead of stokes otherwise we may've taken more chances and killed the game. Still sickened by the result and thought the ref was an absolute joke.

when was this??

Franck is God
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
We have played far worse than that recently. I was pleased to see a 4-4-2 or at times 4-3-1-2.

Deek definitely was playing up front which should have pleased a lot of fans on this board, he did drift left but that was off his own back. As many know I am not his biggest fan but even I will admit he put in a shift which was nice to see. I see plenty slagging Nish (and with good reason for his first chance) but nobody has mentioned Riordan missing an open goal from the rebound of Nish's shot of the post

Adding Cregg to the midield gave a bit of bite that hasn't been there recently, unfortunately Stevenson & Rankin are not the best players, they work hard but just don't have it for a game against one of the best sides in the league, too one paced and not enough quality. I was disappointed with the use of our subs as I would have replaced either Stevenson or Rankin with Galbraith and given us some width on the left and maybe put some pressure on them.

I hope it is now an either Riordan or Stokes up front with one other, Riordan did ok through the middle but his first touch let him down a lot last night. Stokes was on the pitch for 15 minutes, had one chance in front of goal and he put it away beautifully, don't think he's the best footballer outside the box but as a finisher he is outstanding. If I thought him and Deek could play as a partnership that would be brilliant but I think they both need an unselfish partner to play alongside.

There were signs of balance to the side last night, United only had 4 shots on target and if we had picked anyone other than Stack they woulnd't have scored 4 times. He gives no confidence to the defence, doesn't dominate his area and I can only assume that he closes his eyes and hopes for the best when he kicks or throws the ball out.

We can still finish the season strongly, a fit and performing McBride and the return of Smith/Maka/Brown between the sticks could make a huge difference.

Speedway
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
It was appalling. I saw Arsenal v. Barca afterwards and the gulf is horrendous.

The Arabs showed us why it's not the pitch or the formation that's the problem.

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
We have played far worse than that recently. I was pleased to see a 4-4-2 or at times 4-3-1-2.

Deek definitely was playing up front which should have pleased a lot of fans on this board, he did drift left but that was off his own back. As many know I am not his biggest fan but even I will admit he put in a shift which was nice to see. I see plenty slagging Nish (and with good reason for his first chance) but nobody has mentioned Riordan missing an open goal from the rebound of Nish's shot of the post

Adding Cregg to the midield gave a bit of bite that hasn't been there recently, unfortunately Stevenson & Rankin are not the best players, they work hard but just don't have it for a game against one of the best sides in the league, too one paced and not enough quality. I was disappointed with the use of our subs as I would have replaced either Stevenson or Rankin with Galbraith and given us some width on the left and maybe put some pressure on them.

I hope it is now an either Riordan or Stokes up front with one other, Riordan did ok through the middle but his first touch let him down a lot last night. Stokes was on the pitch for 15 minutes, had one chance in front of goal and he put it away beautifully, don't think he's the best footballer outside the box but as a finisher he is outstanding. If I thought him and Deek could play as a partnership that would be brilliant but I think they both need an unselfish partner to play alongside.

There were signs of balance to the side last night, United only had 4 shots on target and if we had picked anyone other than Stack they woulnd't have scored 4 times. He gives no confidence to the defence, doesn't dominate his area and I can only assume that he closes his eyes and hopes for the best when he kicks or throws the ball out.

We can still finish the season strongly, a fit and performing McBride and the return of Smith/Maka/Brown between the sticks could make a huge difference.

seriously now, aprils fools are only valid before 12..... when did we see a 4-4-2???

i hope people arent referring to that monstrosity of a formation we used until stokes came on..... that was nothing like a 4-4-2.

Westie1875
01-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Because he didn't, Riordan's shot was blocked by a defender.

Franck is God
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Because he didn't, Riordan's shot was blocked by a defender.

He should have scored in the same way that Nish should at least have forced the keeper into making a save at the end of the first half. The keeper was out of position and he had the whole goal to aim at, he hit a defender because it was a poor attempt, his reaction said it all.

The_Horde
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Ehh people?

We conceded 4 goals.

They had 5 shots (including penalty), if we can't even get the basics right, like defending, we could play the best formation and tactics out there and still get pumped.

The fact is the 4-4-2 played last night was ineffective and non existent.

Franck is God
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
seriously now, aprils fools are only valid before 12..... when did we see a 4-4-2???

i hope people arent referring to that monstrosity of a formation we used until stokes came on..... that was nothing like a 4-4-2.

the midfield 4 left to right was Rankin, Stevenson, Cregg and Miller and Riordan played alongside Nish.

We played that way until Stokes came on and finished the game 4-3-3.

Martin
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Agreed

big-mo
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree, I am sick of the radio reports today saying we were trashed. The pen could have gone either way. Their third was well off-side and if we had a goalie playing he could have saved the third. It is time Pegs is dropped and Smith handed the gloves.

I however do not agree with many comments that United were a far better team. They were pish but played as a team and got a few lucky breaks. They made more bad passes that we did, their keepers kicking was as bad as ours if not worse.

I also think that no team should be able to loan player to teams in the same league as themselves. Webster is not allowed to play against Rangers but can play against everyone else, it is like the Gars having one and a half teams in the league.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Ehh people?

We conceded 4 goals.

They had 5 shots (including penalty), if we can't even get the basics right, like defending, we could play the best formation and tactics out there and still get pumped.

The fact is the 4-4-2 played last night was ineffective and non existent.

Thats a strange one, as i thought all we had to do was play 4-4-2, and all our troubles were over.:faf:

Until people realise we don't have that many good players, we will always have mass suicides on here after a defeat.

Supraninja
01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
When the ball is switched nobody seems to play it into space for the full backs or 'wide' players, almost always to feet. Dundee always had time to get back over, and switching the ball in the first place became pointless.

Franck is God
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Thats a strange one, as i thought all we had to do was play 4-4-2, and all our troubles were over.:faf:

Until people realise we don't have that many good players, we will always have mass suicides on here after a defeat.

I agree with that, formations are not the magic wand to success, you need the players to do it first regardless. In fact Riordans extra effort last night because he got to play up front suggests that he hasn't exactly been giving his all for the team up to now....:devil:

We have some good players at the club and need to pick a team, tactics and formation to get the best out of them. A job Yogi has done occasionally well this season but not enough for my liking.

I want to see what he does in the summer and who we are looking to sign.

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 12:55 PM
the midfield 4 left to right was Rankin, Stevenson, Cregg and Miller and Riordan played alongside Nish.

We played that way until Stokes came on and finished the game 4-3-3.

:confused:

i dont think so......

last night we played....

....................................stack......... ........................

thicot.........hogg....................bamba...... ......murray

..............miller......cregg........rankin..... ..stevenson...deek

.....................................nish......... ...........................

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree with that, formations are not the magic wand to success, you need the players to do it first regardless. In fact Riordans extra effort last night because he got to play up front suggests that he hasn't exactly been giving his all for the team up to now....:devil:

We have some good players at the club and need to pick a team, tactics and formation to get the best out of them. A job Yogi has done occasionally well this season but not enough for my liking.

I want to see what he does in the summer and who we are looking to sign.

I thought Riordan was one of only 3 maybe 4 who got pass marks. It was evident his movement and creative ability further up the park, could have given us more opportunity's.

Better players around our better players, will only help. If we can get in better water carriers to supplement our quality, we will get better.

basehibby
01-04-2010, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't say we played that great - far too many individual errors to call it a good performance. Not nearly as bad as some of those on suicide watch would have you believe though.
Dundee Utd made errors as well but it was noticeable that their errors were rarely as costly as ours. Most of their duff passes went into touch as opposed to an opposition forward for example. That was the main difference between the two teams IMO - that Utd tended to do the simple things right such as clearing their lines.
What also didn't help the Hibs cause was a disgraceful excuse for a referee who seemed for all the world to have put his house on an Arabs win - gave us F*** all all night and made me lose my voice from shouting at him :grr:

mim
01-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I am surprised that someone your age thought that last night performance had players with a lot of fight. You would surely have seen the good hibs sides over the years where there were real players that gave their all.

Yes, but there is a big difference between multi talented players giving their all and journeyman pros giving their all.

We don't have the kind of quality now that we had in the days of the Famous Five and Turnbulls Tornadoes. Nor do we have a Sauzee or Latapy in the team.

The point with which I was agreeing was that there was no lack of effort from the players last night - they simply aren't as good as some on here think.

basehibby
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
:confused:

i dont think so......

last night we played....

....................................stack......... ........................

thicot.........hogg....................bamba...... ......murray

..............miller......cregg........rankin..... ..stevenson...deek

.....................................nish......... ...........................

Deek was playing through the middle most of the time last night - sure he dropped out wide left sometimes - as is his usual tendency - but the team was set up as 4-4-2 with Deeks playing off Nish.
PS - thought the finishing forward line of Deeks, Stokes and Benji looked tasty - getting the mix right behind them would be the tricky bit.

Diclonius
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I thought we played very well in the first half.

The second half was a shambles.

Cregg looked very impressive and we should think about keeping him in for the next game.

Franck is God
01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Deek was playing through the middle most of the time last night - sure he dropped out wide left sometimes - as is his usual tendency - but the team was set up as 4-4-2 with Deeks playing off Nish.
PS - thought the finishing forward line of Deeks, Stokes and Benji looked tasty - getting the mix right behind them would be the tricky bit.

I think the problem we have playing a midfield three is that for it to work you really need your defence to play a high line pushing the play up the field and specifically your full backs need to play like left and right midfielders. Effectively you are playing a 2-5-3 formation, takes guts and pace, not something we are showing a lot of right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4-4-2 set up like below. A midfield 4 with either Spoony playing down the right or Galbraith on the left giving us natural width down one side while leaving a bit of solidity in midfield.

Playing a third striker should really be a last ten minutes while chasing a game probably not from the start IMO.

Smith/Brown/Maka

McCann---Hogg---Bamba---Murray

'Wotherpoon'---Miller---McBride---Cregg---'Galbraith'

Riordan or Stokes---Nish or Benji

WestEndHibee
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
when was this??

From the kick off??? Deek was up front but kept drifting left as the game went on

Long suffering
01-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I think it was a lot better last night. Not brilliant but a lot better. Stack and miller have had better games but the rest put a shift in. Poor ref and linesman on the bare side especially spoiled what at one point wasa decent game.
For those that thought we were awful I can only assume that was your first game in a couple of months?

:agree:

twiceinathens
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Were we better than we have been? Yes Not totally overrrun in midfield, but we still need a big midfield thug oops ball winner.Not suffering as much by being outnumbered but still outmuscled.
Haven't seen the match highlights yet so can't comment on the penalty but no doubt that the ref was dreadful. At one point automatically gave a ridiculous throwin to Utd in front of the West Stand then even he had to immediately reverse his decision.Got involved in a running long slanging match with a Hibs player. Indulged in dramatic dressing downs of players and coaching staff. Build up to third goal involved a clear offside with the assistant well behind play.
Woeful marking for the second goal though the finish was superb.Hesitance by Nish when clean through. Failure by Riordan to convert a rebound with the goalkeeper stranded.
United deserved to win but I thought we did show some improvement.

bubblesmorrison
01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
i think what he ment was we where better last night than we have been for week and i know that not hard

noseyhibby
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, but there is a big difference between multi talented players giving their all and journeyman pros giving their all.

We don't have the kind of quality now that we had in the days of the Famous Five and Turnbulls Tornadoes. Nor do we have a Sauzee or Latapy in the team.

The point with which I was agreeing was that there was no lack of effort from the players last night - they simply aren't as good as some on here think.

Totally agree:agree: