PDA

View Full Version : The Ref.............

SouthMoroccoStu
31-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Take a bow son.

Mr. O'Reilly - you managed to let them away with EVERYTHING!!!!!

It was tough - but you managed it.

bob12345
31-03-2010, 08:56 PM
He was very poor. His decision to give a penalty for Hogg's clean tackle was game changing, but that's because we folded - better teams wouldn't have. He wasn't the reason we lost the game.

PISTOL1875
31-03-2010, 08:57 PM
After Brian Rice questioned his decision early in the first half, he was desperate to give United anything that was on offer...

hibee_girl
31-03-2010, 08:59 PM
He was very poor. His decision to give a penalty for Hogg's clean tackle was game changing, but that's because we folded - better teams wouldn't have. He wasn't the reason we lost the game.

:agree:

It was never a penalty but if we collapse so easily after a team scores against us then that isn't the ref's fault.

PISTOL1875
31-03-2010, 09:00 PM

The reason we lost 4-2 is simple.. United took there chances and we didnt....

HarpyHibby
31-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Stonewall pen, just saw it on alba! No touch on the ball!

TheMentalHibees
31-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Stonewall pen, just saw it on alba! No touch on the ball!

Really? Genuinely surprised if it was. From where I was sitting (south upper) it looked like a great tackle.

hibee_girl
31-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Really? Genuinely surprised if it was. From where I was sitting (south upper) it looked like a great tackle.

I'd agree with that, the tackle looked spot on

Hibs Class
31-03-2010, 09:35 PM
As said, he wasn't the reason we lost, but I reckon he turned down a decent shout for us with a push, I think on Nish, at the back post when a corner was taken, and that was at 1-0. He was very inconsistent, esp. giving fouls when the ball was in the air - Nish was penalised regularly, yet a few of their guys played the man rather than the ball and regularly got away with it.

HarpyHibby
31-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Aye mate, thought the same from the south at the game! Sure others can back me up...

MussyHibby
31-03-2010, 09:46 PM
As said, he wasn't the reason we lost, but I reckon he turned down a decent shout for us with a push, I think on Nish, at the back post when a corner was taken, and that was at 1-0. He was very inconsistent, esp. giving fouls when the ball was in the air - Nish was penalised regularly, yet a few of their guys played the man rather than the ball and regularly got away with it.

Blatant push on Murray at the back door - stonewaller! :grr:

Saorsa
01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Take a bow son.

Mr. O'Reilly - you managed to let them away with EVERYTHING!!!!!

It was tough - but you managed it.aye the ref was brutal, disnae change the fact that we were pish.

TornadoHibby
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
aye the ref was brutal, disnae change the fact that we were pish.

Acept what you say but had those penalties been given to us and converted, then the game would have had a different feel to it for our players who are seriously lacking confidence right now! :agree:

Most of them just don't know where they are going next when they have the ball and inevitably end up doing the wrong thing! :agree:

Being in a winning position breeds confidence which improves players ability to deliver quality! :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2010, 08:05 AM

I have not seen the game back on alba, but i thought it was a penalty. Hogg should know not to do that. If you don't give the ref a decision to make in the first place it is not an issue. A thread about a dodgy ref is one thing, but the mere idea, that the ref was pivotal or instrumental in our defeat last night is really missing the point. This boy would have had to have been referee-ing all our games post December for that arguement to be credible.

Luna Landing
01-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Totally agree that we were poor in the 2nd half although I cant fault the effort of the team but we looked like a bunch of individuals and United looked like a team and they a great team spirit . I

However, it would have been different if we had been given a penalty - it was a clear push on Murray by Kenneth. Murray was going to score so it could argued there should have been a red card issued as well.

Looked to me that Hogg got to the ball 1st and the United player then fell over his foot ( I've seen it on Alba as well) .

For the 3rd goal Goodwillie looked well offside from where I was sitting but the TV pictures didnt have a good angle so cant say for sure whether that was the case or not.

Having said all that if we'd taken our chances we would have got at least a draw so much our much vaunted strike force.

Anyway still think theres the making of a team there but our midfield needs a serious overhaul.

Jack
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Interestingly Stevieboy O’Really has refereed a previous Hibs / Dundee Utd game at Easter Road. The result was 1 – 2 for DU (2 May 2009).

When he has been the ref and we have had 2 wins, a draw and the DU defeats.

DU have had this man on 5 occasions and have yet to taste defeat while he’s in charge. 4 wins (St Mirren (Away team)), Hibs (H), Kilmarnock (H) and last night, 1 home draw with St Johnstone.

Personally I thought Hibs were doing a lot better than they have been – for the first 20 minutes. Then came Miller being manhandled, nothing given; Deeks fair challenge (possibly a foul for him) that went to DU; a few other exceptionally dubious decisions culminating in the penalty. After that the confidence went and the heads went down. It was as though they realised, as a team, the ref was going to favour DU. IMO they were correct.

I think most of the crowd thought so too. If it had just been Hibs being crap then the team would have got it tight, as it was the referee got it.

Now I don’t normally use the referee as an excuse for poor play but I think I’ll make an exception in this case.

Hibbie0762
01-04-2010, 08:09 AM
It wasn't the main reason we lost the game - the various causes have already been discussed ad nauseam in other threads - but the malignant dwarf in black certainly did not help Hibs last night. It became obvious early in the game that he was giving DU everything and Hibs nowt.

Have yet to see the penalty on replay, but it was no great surprise when the ref gave it. Nor was it any great surprise that he waved away several blatant fouls on Hibs players thereafter, including the obvious push on Nish in the box which has been mentioned elsewhere.

Big physical teams like DU are always a handful where a weak (or frankly biased) ref allows them to cross the line between combativeness and illegality.

RoslinInstHibby
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Aye mate, thought the same from the south at the game! Sure others can back me up...

it was a penalty:agree:

Ritchie
01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
saw the goals on SSN this morning.... Stonewall penalty :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
01-04-2010, 08:50 AM
The ref got their penalty right, but he was still a trumpet.

Though, referees up and down the UK are terrible, it's not a surprise.

We have an awful league, why not awful refs to go with it.

How much do they "earn" btw??

Gettin' Auld
01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
How much do they "earn" btw??

Last season it went up to £800 per game........Quite a nice wedge for being an.:asshole:

Cropley10
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Miller's booking right after we scored = harsh.

Murray shoved in the box, nothing given.

Deeks shoved out of the way, DU throw!

Handball in the second half - missed completely

A catalogue of errors and after our goal they got EVERYTHING.

Interesting he's never reffed a Utd defeat inc 4 wins

basehibby
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
The referee was absolutely awful - he may have called the penalty right but he got other decisions wrong again and again and again all over the park.
He seemed to have a habit of compounding his errors by harshly penalising players who questionsed any of his previous awful decisions the next time they went in for a challenge - thus making his performance even more lop-sided than it already was.
I'd certainly argue that this sort of bias (whether intentional or unintentional) can alter the course of a game. A team can get no momentum going if they're constantly pulled up for petty niggles while the other side is allowed to get away with random assaults in midfield.
Last night, Dundee Utd probably deserved their victory for a tidier performance. The ref however, seemed to be doing his level best to make it easy for them.

dangermouse
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
The only decision the ref got right all night was the penalty. Apart from that he had a shocker.

He constantly stopped play rather than allow advantage (to both teams), handed out fouls to United just for the sake of it at times (IMHO) and at one point he even awarded a throw in to Hibs when the ball clearly came of TWO Hibs players.

Thank God for Charlie Richmond on Sunday.

Geo_1875
01-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I couldn.t believe it when he pulled Hibs back 20 yards to take a free kick at the bye line when were breaking with a clear advantage. Total bellend all night long. How he let them away with time wasting for 60 minutes is beyond me.

Cropley10
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I couldn.t believe it when he pulled Hibs back 20 yards to take a free kick at the bye line when were breaking with a clear advantage. Total bellend all night long. How he let them away with time wasting for 60 minutes is beyond me.

Which we took, hoofed it long and lost possession. Worst decision of the night for me.:agree:

Bayern Bru
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
When he awarded that free kick against Nish right after Nishy had had a go at him, I was fizzing. Felt it was a clear case of "****** you pal, I'm in charge."

Total welt.

Supraninja
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Wasn't as bad as the ref in the Liverpool - Benfica match!