PDA

View Full Version : HI8 S** Number Plates

Frazerbob
31-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I have one of these number plates, like many other Hibs fans and have moved the "S" so that it reads HI8S. I know that this is ilegal and change the plates to the correct ones when my car goes for an MOT. However, I haven't had any problems driving around Edinburgh for the last few years.

I've now moved up to Aberdeen and was stopped by the cops in the city centre last night and told if they see me again they'll hit me with a £60 fine for EACH plate.

Anyone else had grief for one of these plates?

bighairyfaeleith
31-03-2010, 10:48 AM
easy answer to that bud

get the **** out of aberdeen

Full funny talking people with strange cousins :wink:

rainman
31-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I have one of these number plates, like many other Hibs fans and have moved the "S" so that it reads HI8S. I know that this is ilegal and change the plates to the correct ones when my cart goes for an MOT. However, I haven't had any problems driving around Edinburgh for the last few years.

I've now moved up to Aberdeen and was stopped by the cops in the city centre last night and told if they see me again they'll hit me with a £60 fine for EACH plate.

Had mine for a year driving around Edinburgh then was done by a Hun cop outside Fir Park. Fined on the spot. Changed them back straight away.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I have one of these number plates, like many other Hibs fans and have moved the "S" so that it reads HI8S. I know that this is ilegal and change the plates to the correct ones when my car goes for an MOT. However, I haven't had any problems driving around Edinburgh for the last few years.

I had the same. I had my motor in for a bit of a respray and the mechanic told me that the plates were illegal and I got them redone. Significantly, the place that sells them [i guess that this is a standard reply], says that it is not up to them whether you put it on a car, or put it on a bedroom wall or even on your kids' cartie. Apparently, if you get caught on a speed camera they may do you for speeding and the plates as a double dunt.

scoopyboy
31-03-2010, 11:58 AM

It's right I'm afraid.

I've got HIB 548 and for years had it set up as HIB5 48. Simply switched the plates for MOT and then back again once had pass certificate.

Police stopped me a few times so I've had to conform.

However have now got H185 CJH as well so my advice would be if you are going to get a H18? plate then it is best to get H185 with yor middle name included.

erin go bragh
31-03-2010, 12:10 PM
this is why i went for my initials with hfc :wink:
pretty petty rule not letting the letter move a wee bit though :grr:

RoxburghHibs
31-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I've got HI8S OJ

Not had any bother since I first got these plates a few years ago. I even spoke with a relative who is a policeman (funnily enough from Grampian Police) and he advised that as long as the font and background are standard I would be ok.

However he did say there is always a risk of a jobsworth pullin me up and telling to replace them.

To be honest when I change my car I think I will release this reg.

IndieHibby
31-03-2010, 12:22 PM
this is why i went for my initials with hfc :wink:
pretty petty rule not letting the letter move a wee bit though :grr:

Don't you see the problems with car crime which make these rules important?

Biggie
31-03-2010, 12:27 PM
I've got X3 HFC - so obviously no probs. Only problem was a jambo welt screaming out his car window at me after a derby...what a fandan

Borders Hibby
31-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I've got X3 HFC - so obviously no probs. Only problem was a jambo welt screaming out his car window at me after a derby...what a fandan

Woman at my work has a legal TN07 HFC! She is not even a Hibby!!

PC Stamp
31-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Don't you see the problems with car crime which make these rules important?

Funnily enough, I know a traffic cop who says it can actually help them if a car with a "personalised" number is involved in any kind of incident as witnesses are more likely to remember a distinctive sort of number as opposed to an ordinary run of the mill one. He also said most cops wouldn't waste time pulling someone over just for having an illegally spaced plate unless the officer concerned just wanted to be a right smartarse! If they pulled you over for speeding or such then they'd do you for the irregular plate as well but it sounds like one or two polis must be down on their bookings quota for the month! I wonder how many houses were broken into in the time it took them to deal with a mis spaced number plate?

M8UDB
31-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Ive had my number plate for 4 years now and only been "advised" to change it by a traffic cop who pulled me in town. Its not a hibs plate but the spacing is wrong. Fare enough if i had tiny letters or letters in italics but the only differance with mine is M 8UD B rather than M8 UDB.

ArabHibee
31-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Ive had my number plate for 4 years now and only been "advised" to change it by a traffic cop who pulled me in town. Its not a hibs plate but the spacing is wrong. Fare enough if i had tiny letters or letters in italics but the only differance with mine is M 8UD B rather than M8 UDB.

And what's that supposed to say?

greenlex
31-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Folk with hibs related number plates need to get a life IMO

Fife-Hibee
31-03-2010, 04:21 PM

:na na::devil:

Baldy
31-03-2010, 04:23 PM

whats your number plate

Jonnyboy
31-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Cheers A :greengrin

Hibby D
31-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Nonsense - I've not long been offered £1400 for mine :greengrin

MSK
31-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Nonsense - I've not long been offered £1400 for mine :greengrinDid i offer that much Di ..?...:party:....:greengrin

weonlywon6-2
31-03-2010, 05:20 PM

personal choice really,nothing wrong with that.

now if i had RR1 to sell ,i could retire now and buy Hibs with the money !!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

joejoefaemexico
31-03-2010, 09:32 PM

what do you drive? an x5 yeah?:wink:

Biggie
31-03-2010, 09:34 PM
what do you drive? an x5 yeah?:wink:

No, 3 series beemer

Hibs On Tour
31-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Quite right - now personalised plates, that's a different matter! Picking up a motor tomorrow with plate:

LETTER - same NUMBER three times - then LEX

Interested? :devil:

rainman
01-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Probably a good time to say mine is still for sale.

H18BY R

PM if interested.