PDA

View Full Version : Do tonights results bring some perspective...?

Hibs On Tour
30-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Specifically, St Johnstone turning over the SPL champions elect...? Should some of us wind our necks in a little and realise that all teams can have a 'mare from time to time and it doesn't necessarily add up to a whole hill of beans?

For my money we went on a longer better run earlier in the season than we probably justified at the time. Our recent run is simply the other side of the coin. We're a work in progress. Get over it. Lets stop acting like Celtc fans and calling for the manager to be emptied over it eh?

GGTTH :thumbsup:

BEEJ
30-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, absolutely!! :agree:

Imagine ICT humping Ross County when we couldn't .... twice!!

Vini1875
30-03-2010, 10:46 PM

Dunno why that is strange ICT did it to us often enough.

As for the St J result, I'd rather play the jambos at ER after the split, much more chance of doing them than St.J

Hainan Hibs
30-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Perspective? Hibs.net?

Please:greengrin

BEEJ
30-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Dunno why that is strange ICT did it to us often enough.

As for the St J result, I'd rather play the jambos at ER after the split, much more chance of doing them than St.J
I do admire positive thinking!! :greengrin

zosohibee
30-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Unrelated but can anyone clarify the words of the Shankly based song we have? Cant make it all out from the stands...

The_Todd
30-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Top six would be just what they deserve. A real breath of fresh air to the SPL.

If you went back a couple of years, would you ever imagine both old firm teams getting four put past them by bottom six teams within a week of each other?

It's slowly happening but there's a change for the good happening.

iwasthere1972
30-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Unrelated but can anyone clarify the words of the Shankly based song we have? Cant make it all out from the stands...

Bertie Mee said to Bob Shankly, have you heard of the North Bank Highbury?

Shanks said no, I don't think so

But I've heard o the mental Hibees!

na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na

We are the mental Hibees!

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Sir David Gray
30-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Said Bertie Mee to Bill Shankly
"Have you heard of the Northbank Highbury"
Shanks said "No, I don't think so,
But I've heard of the mental Hibees"

Na na na na na na na na.......
We are the mental Hibees.

monktonharp
31-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Bertie Mee of course being a famous Arsenal manager of the time of Bob Shankly. North bank being the singing end of Highbury,the Arsenal's old stadium. just mentioned it for younger fans,not trying to be clever.

ekhibee
31-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Sadly the only perspective, to me anyway, is that it proves the total inconsistency of teams outside the old firm,specifically in this case Rangers. If St Johnstone had that level of consistency they wouldn't just be fighting for a place in the top 6, they'd be pushing for the league. But they were beaten by Hamilton at the weekend, and drew with Falkirk recently as well, so even though they are a good side to watch, unfortunately nothing much has changed overall as far as the top of the league is concerned, and because of the inconsistency of the league, even though they look a far better side than Hearts,there is no guarantee whatsoever that they'll finish above them. With our record against them this season, they are the very last team I would want to be playing for a Europa Cup place in any case.

hibiedude
31-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Specifically, St Johnstone turning over the SPL champions elect...? Should some of us wind our necks in a little and realise that all teams can have a 'mare from time to time and it doesn't necessarily add up to a whole hill of beans?

For my money we went on a longer better run earlier in the season than we probably justified at the time. Our recent run is simply the other side of the coin. We're a work in progress. Get over it. Lets stop acting like Celtc fans and calling for the manager to be emptied over it eh?

The league champs get done over by St Johnstone and that's some justification For our poor form.

Rangers have the league in the bag with 10 points to spare and a game in hand so it's not quite the same is it.

It's a pity we didn't get beat Saturday because that could have been the excuse for the Ross County game.

CallumLaidlaw
31-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Maybe cos the games against us were the equivalent of their cup finals.
The league is certainly getting closer. Teams outside the OF are getting better I feel, whereas rangers and Celtic are not the force they once were.
The hibs players MUST remember that no game in this league is an automatic 3 points. Every win has to be fought for. There's no doubt we have the talent.

RIP
31-03-2010, 07:39 AM
The St J, D Utd (10 Men), St Mirren and Ross County results show that teams who,

- to a man:

- run, tackle, scrap and fight for the whole match and
- apply the right tactics

can get their rewards

How many of those boxes do we tick?

TornadoHibby
31-03-2010, 07:55 AM
The St J, D Utd (10 Men), St Mirren and Ross County results show that teams who,

- to a man:

can get their rewards

That is indeed the heart of the matter as far as the last 2 or 3 months have been for us as we ain't been ticking any of the boxes IMO! :confused:

If we do we have real talent in the team and are capable of beating any team in the SPL! :agree:

If only we can show these fighting attributes from tonight until the end of the season we might just get third place! :wink: :agree:

Hibbyradge
31-03-2010, 07:55 AM

St Johnstone humping Rangers is a freak result.

Hibs are playing rubbish week in, week out.

Having said that, I probably agree that we're not as bad as our current performances and results would suggest and we're not as good as our early season results indicated.

jae
31-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Sure RC were down to 10 men for most part of the game. Still no excuse for us not beating them at 2 attempts though :agree:

mjhibby
31-03-2010, 08:49 AM

- to a man:

can get their rewards

So why are the arabs only two points ahead of us when we have had an horrendous run,the saintees look unlikely to get into the top six and ross county will probably not be promoted to the spl.Because these tactics only work so many times and it is that little bit of skill and class plus a little bit of luck as well that wins games.We are nowhere near the finished article and those that got carried away early on overlook this.Hogg for instance is much derided but he missed the ross county and hertz games and what happened.Also mcbride goes off against ross county and guess what we lose a goal and the game.Its little things like that affect games.
Utd also have had stinkers like 4-4 against killie when they only got a draw due to cheating and 2-0 a home loss to hamilton so they also have had bad days as have the saintees.Nobody has been consistent enough hence the reason rangers are so far ahead.We all know we need a rb,ch and central midfielder to improve the team.Yogi is right in that we are ahead of last season already and are in with good chance of europe.lets get things in perspective and realise ovverall its been a good season but of course the early form led us to believe it would be even better.:thumbsup:

Speedway
31-03-2010, 08:49 AM
With this thread title, not enough posters will read it and expose themselves to the chance of gaining perspective.

If the OP had named the thread 'Gash, Fud, Mince, Pish' it would have had 1,000 views by now.

Mikeystewart
31-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Dont want to piss on your post but anyone who has thought otherwise is deluded to think that teams will meet there potential every week.

Andy74
So why are the arabs only two points ahead of us when we have had an horrendous run,the saintees look unlikely to get into the top six and ross county will probably not be promoted to the spl.Because these tactics only work so many times and it is that little bit of skill and class plus a little bit of luck as well that wins games.We are nowhere near the finished article and those that got carried away early on overlook this.Hogg for instance is much derided but he missed the ross county and hertz games and what happened.Also mcbride goes off against ross county and guess what we lose a goal and the game.Its little things like that affect games.
Utd also have had stinkers like 4-4 against killie when they only got a draw due to cheating and 2-0 a home loss to hamilton so they also have had bad days as have the saintees.Nobody has been consistent enough hence the reason rangers are so far ahead.We all know we need a rb,ch and central midfielder to improve the team.Yogi is right in that we are ahead of last season already and are in with good chance of europe.lets get things in perspective and realise ovverall its been a good season but of course the early form led us to believe it would be even better.:thumbsup:

Exactly!!

Hibs On Tour
The league champs get done over by St Johnstone and that's some justification For our poor form.

Rangers have the league in the bag with 10 points to spare and a game in hand so it's not quite the same is it.

It's a pity we didn't get beat Saturday because that could have been the excuse for the Ross County game.

Don't be a plank son. That's not what I said so don't try to twist it. :bitchy:

What I said was that I am a realist and accept that we ARE going to have runs of bad form - same as every other team. My point was that some on here see a bad run as akin to the sky falling down on them.

Hibs On Tour
31-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Dont want to piss on your post but anyone who has thought otherwise is deluded to think that teams will meet there potential every week.

Not pissing on my post at all. That's my point exactly.

For me, we've struggled to meet our potential at any stage this season but because we went on a run we maybe didn't merit earlier on no-one minded. Once the results stopped [from the same pretty dire play] the harbingers of doom were out in force, completely forgetting that we've progressed a fair way from this point last year.

No-one is trying to find any excuses for how bad we've been playing but its a long way from being as bad as lots are trying to make out...

J-C
31-03-2010, 09:25 AM
For years now we have played average to below par football and the league positions and change of management have shown that. This year( specially early on) we rode our luck a wee bit and gained valuable wins we normally don't get, this lifted us into a high point in the league and as usual 90% of our support goes over the top and start thinking we're taking 2nd place.

As Yogi has stated, we are a work in progress, he's strengthened the goalkeeping position and added decent quality in other parts of the team but there's still 3-4 good quality players needed for the extra push. January was not the time to add these players and shifting out the excess then is always harder, so we'll just have to wait till the summer and see what he does in the market.

Top 6 was always priority with a Euro place a bonus, this looks like it is achievable, we need to stay strong behind the team and help push them into 3rd/4th.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2010, 12:07 PM
With this thread title, not enough posters will read it and expose themselves to the chance of gaining perspective.

If the OP had named the thread 'Gash, Fud, Mince, Pish' it would have had 1,000 views by now.

I get that delivered every month, in a brown unmarked envelope.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2010, 12:09 PM
For years now we have played average to below par football and the league positions and change of management have shown that. This year( specially early on) we rode our luck a wee bit and gained valuable wins we normally don't get, this lifted us into a high point in the league and as usual 90% of our support goes over the top and start thinking we're taking 2nd place.

As Yogi has stated, we are a work in progress, he's strengthened the goalkeeping position and added decent quality in other parts of the team but there's still 3-4 good quality players needed for the extra push. January was not the time to add these players and shifting out the excess then is always harder, so we'll just have to wait till the summer and see what he does in the market.

Top 6 was always priority with a Euro place a bonus, this looks like it is achievable, we need to stay strong behind the team and help push them into 3rd/4th.

Well said. :agree::top marks

HibbyAndy
31-03-2010, 12:09 PM

:hilarious

Half the folk on ma walk are pervs, they just dinnae ken that a ken :thumbsup:

--------
31-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Don't be a plank son. That's not what I said so don't try to twist it. :bitchy:

What I said was that I am a realist and accept that we ARE going to have runs of bad form - same as every other team. My point was that some on here see a bad run as akin to the sky falling down on them.

:agree: One moment we're going to cruise into third place and qualify for the later stages of the Europa, next we're heading for meltdown.

One moment players like Bamba, Murray and Miller are world-beaters, next they're total numpties.

One minute Yogi's the Messiah, next he's Forrest Gump's handicapped wee brother.

Balance is all. JC50's post #24 says it far better than I could. :agree:

J-C
31-03-2010, 01:14 PM

:faf::devil:

hibiedude
31-03-2010, 01:54 PM
if Rangers were in a battle with Celtic for the title' ST Johnston would never had got the result they did and we all know that.

But as someone pointed out were Rubbish week in week out, tonight is an opportunity for Yogi show people like me that he's got what it takes to change our fortunes around.

if he does the happy clappers will go into meltdown telling al the non believers that they knew Yogi was the man.

But the games I’ve seen over the last 3 months has clearly shown he lacks tactical awareness and that’s something he cant buy during the summer.

BEEJ
31-03-2010, 02:11 PM
:agree: One moment we're going to cruise into third place and qualify for the later stages of the Europa, next we're heading for meltdown.

One moment players like Bamba, Murray and Miller are world-beaters, next they're total numpties.

One minute Yogi's the Messiah, next he's Forrest Gump's handicapped wee brother.

Balance is all. JC50's post #24 says it far better than I could. :agree:
But generally speaking, Doddie, it's not the same posters who come out with excessively upbeat comments who then revert to the opposite extreme once the club enters a difficult patch.

Aside from a few schizophrenics on here, you're describing different posters. So at any one time we're only seeing those who are most caught up emotionally with the circumstances of the club (good or bad) 'grabbing the headlines' with sometimes outrageous comments.

Hardly surprising, really; and I expect that is what happens on most forums such as this.

RIP
31-03-2010, 02:42 PM
The St J, D Utd (10 Men), St Mirren and Ross County results show that teams who,to a man:

can get their rewards

So why are the arabs only two points ahead of us when we have had an horrendous run,the saintees look unlikely to get into the top six and ross county will probably not be promoted to the spl.

Are you confusing Teams/Matches with Clubs/Leagues?

I'm talking about the former and you are talking about the latter

Jeanfield Swifts U13 beat Letham Tangerine's U13 recently 5-4 after being a few goals down. They achieved this with fighting spirit and a never-say-die attitude. As the league currently stand the Tangies are top, the Swifts are mid-table. Why is this?

Anyone team lose a match. Sometimes though, fighting spirit can overcome skill. The current Hibs team have skill but don't appear to have enough fight. My belief is that the skill never leaves you but the fighting spirit often does. That's the main reason we are fourth and out the cup instead of second and confidently facing Celtic in the semi's.

Andy74
31-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Are you confusing Teams/Matches with Clubs/Leagues?

I'm talking about the former and you are talking about the latter

Jeanfield Swifts U13 beat Letham Tangerine's U13 recently 5-4 after being a few goals down. They achieved this with fighting spirit and a never-say-die attitude. As the league currently stand the Tangies are top, the Swifts are mid-table. Why is this?

Anyone team lose a match. Sometimes though, fighting spirit can overcome skill. The current Hibs team have skill but don't appear to have enough fight. My belief is that the skill never leaves you but the fighting spirit often does. That's the main reason we are fourth and out the cup instead of second and confidently facing Celtic in the semi's.

Though the examples you have given the team with the greater ability or skill are on top in the long run, so your assertion that the fighting spirit gets its rewards isn't that true. anyone can have their day as a one off but the true indicator of talent and where you are going is the longer term picture.