PDA

View Full Version : Yogi & Stokes

H113EE5
30-03-2010, 09:01 AM
"He's still a young boy, he's still got it all to learn. I think he leaves a lot of it to big Nishy (Colin Nish], or his partner, to drop into the hole and get back on to their sitting midfielder. I think his hold-up play and his link-up play has to be better, and I think he could still work a lot harder. Quote from article in today's Scotsman: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp

Why's he highlighting Stokes, when Saint Derek, sits on that left wing too slow, too weak to run past players and too effin' lazy to track back. Yip... another Riordan thread but it's really baffling. :confused::confused:

marinello59
30-03-2010, 09:05 AM
"He's still a young boy, he's still got it all to learn. I think he leaves a lot of it to big Nishy (Colin Nish], or his partner, to drop into the hole and get back on to their sitting midfielder. I think his hold-up play and his link-up play has to be better, and I think he could still work a lot harder. Quote from article in today's Scotsman: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp

Why's he highlighting Stokes, when Saint Derek, sits on that left wing too slow, too weak to run past players and too effin' lazy to track back. Yip... another Riordan thread but it's really baffling. :confused::confused:

Why bother quoting the article when you could just have started a thread slagging Deeks off as you wanted to do?

aljo7-0
30-03-2010, 09:10 AM
"He's still a young boy, he's still got it all to learn. I think he leaves a lot of it to big Nishy (Colin Nish], or his partner, to drop into the hole and get back on to their sitting midfielder. I think his hold-up play and his link-up play has to be better, and I think he could still work a lot harder. Quote from article in today's Scotsman: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp)

Presumably because the journo asked him about Stokes

Westie1875
30-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Why bother quoting the article when you could just have started a thread slagging Deeks off as you wanted to do?

Exactly :top marks

PeeJay
30-03-2010, 09:16 AM
"He's still a young boy, he's still got it all to learn. I think he leaves a lot of it to big Nishy (Colin Nish], or his partner, to drop into the hole and get back on to their sitting midfielder. I think his hold-up play and his link-up play has to be better, and I think he could still work a lot harder. Quote from article in today's Scotsman: http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-wary-of-mending.6189425.jp)

At the press conference (available on Hibs TV) Yogi actually said Riordan was MOM in the first half (in his opinion) and that he fell away in the 2nd half ... I guess the Scotsman just left that bit out for some reason?

SlickShoes
30-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Derek Riordan has scored 15 goals so far this season from midfield. He will likely end up around 20 goals this season from MIDFIELD. As much as i think he should perhaps be dropped without him in the team wed have lost or drawn many more games as we do not have anyone else in the team capable of scoring top class freekicks and other goals that change games.

hibbymac
30-03-2010, 09:22 AM

4th top scorer in the SPL, it really is "baffling" ....... and why title a thread "Yogi & Stokes" if it's another Riordan thread :confused:

dangermouse
30-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Do you go to any games? If you do, then at the next one watch how much tracking back Riordan does then eat your words. He may never have done it in his first spell at ER but he most certainly does now.

RIP
30-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Do you go to any games? If you do, then at the next one watch how much tracking back Riordan does then eat your words. He may never have done it in his first spell at ER but he most certainly does now.

Personally I think Riordan tracking back is a waste of time unless he can tackle effectively. Otherwise he's just strayed too far from where I'd want him to be.

I've lost count of the amount of times Riordan could have chased his man, tackled or stopped a cross - but didn't. Some teams attack in numbers and defend in numbers but too many of our players simply go through the motions. When the other team is constantly attacking we need to have more players behind the ball working really hard to win back the ball by putting in the tackles and blocks.

Don't think for a minute I'm just having a go at Deeks. Anyone else see big Nishy's pathetic attempt at a block/tackle for the Falkirk goal on Saturday? :grr:

Judas Iscariot
30-03-2010, 09:54 AM

:agree:

I think all the folk that brand Deek "lazy, unfit, waste of space" etc don't actually go to any Hibs games..

WestEndHibee
30-03-2010, 09:57 AM

guessing you don't make it to the games, you're just jumping on the bandwagon? Deeks has to track back a lot these days and at least twice a match i've seen him making important tackles near our box.

But even so, would you really trade in the goals that he scores? He's the 4th top scorer in the league... From the left wing...

I'm not one of those "riordan's a god" guys but i think right now there's no way you can be criticising him

Perspective
30-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Personally I think Riordan tracking back is a waste of time unless he can tackle effectively. Otherwise he's just strayed too far from where I'd want him to be.

I've lost count of the amount of times Riordan could have chased his man, tackled or stopped a cross - but didn't. Some teams attack in numbers and defend in numbers but too many of our players simply go through the motions. When the other team is constantly attacking we need to have more players behind the ball working really hard to win back the ball by putting in the tackles and blocks.

Don't think for a minute I'm just having a go at Deeks. Anyone else see big Nishy's pathetic attempt at a block/tackle for the Falkirk goal on Saturday? :grr:

Nail on the head. It's all very well him tracking back more, but he can't actually tackle or shepherd the ball or opponent.

I think all the folk that brand Deek "lazy, unfit, waste of space" etc don't actually go to any Hibs games..

You can't say he's as fit as he could be. He was never the quickest, but seems to have slowed up even more (compensates for it by being so quick in the head compared to his team-mates). Still think he pulls out of too many tackles and leaves his team-mates hanging out to dry a bit.

But...he has won me round a bit with his willingness to track back a bit more, even if it's a waste of time. And his goals have been the difference quite often this season. He's a tough player to accommodate all the same.

I suppose it depends whether you want the best eleven individual players or the best balanced team.

rainman
30-03-2010, 10:23 AM

I'd put myself in that category. Don't go to the games but label riordan lazy and unfit. His goals rule out waste of space but definitely waste of ability. I was home for Christmas and was at Aberdeen and killie away. Rangers and hearts at home. He literally didn't kick a ball in any of those games. A complete waste if a jersey.

However, 15 or 16 goals this season already is the reason you see riordans picture in the dictionary beside the word Enigma. A conundrum for every manager he's played for.

Does the points he wins with his goals outweigh the points we drop when he is anonymous?

At a club like hibs, the answer is yes. Celtic and Scotland? Not a chance.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2010, 10:35 AM
The apparent self-loathing of hibees is baffling.

Not directed at the OP but from a wider-perspective perhaps we need a Simon Wiesenthal-esque Yam hunter to root them out.:wink:

H113EE5
30-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I've only missed 5 away games all season. Just feel a tad sorry for Stokes, as he always seems to get the brunt of Hughes' anger, while the moanin', lazy number 10 seems to be above reproach.

It's a pity we don't have a special team for free kicks, like the NFL. Then we can bring Deeks off the bench, just for the kick at goal. There's little other contribution..... yes, I know 15 goals. :blah:

Steve20
30-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I've only missed 5 away games all season. Just feel a tad sorry for Stokes, as he always seems to get the brunt of Hughes' anger, while the moanin', lazy number 10 seems to be above reproach.

It's a pity we don't have a special team for free kicks, like the NFL. Then we can bring Deeks off the bench, just for the kick at goal. There's little other contribution..... yes, I know 15 goals. :blah:

I've missed no games this season and if you seriously think there has been little other contribution from Deeks, then you clearly don't pay much attention or just don't have a ****ing clue.

Sprouleflyer
30-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Have to agree with that. I see Riordan tracking back every game, however the play tends to be way ahead of him and this makes him appear lazy. As Pat Nevin said on Saturday, "Riordan is not lazy, he just cant see it"

Westie1875
30-03-2010, 11:03 AM

+ a number of assists (no-one else in the team has more) :wink:

Danny_Hibee
30-03-2010, 11:10 AM
+ a number of assists (no-one else in the team has more) :wink:

Any idea how many assists he has? must be about 8 or 9?

£10m McGeady has 9 assists an 6 goals I think . . . no contest :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
30-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Only we can whinge about a player (who is being played out of position) but still has 90 goals in total for the club, he will be the first player to get 100 goals for Hibs in about 30/40 years.

Burn the witch :bitchy:

Sammy7nil
30-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Anyone who has watched hibs this season will know Deeks has put in FAR more effort then Stokes. Stokes is almost a lazy Kris Boyd :greengrin

So original poster way off the mark.

I do agree Deeks tracking back is somtimes a waste of time as he rarely makes a telling tackle or interception and can be a weak spot for our opponents to isolate him. However he is asked to make that commitment and this season he certainly has. As for the greed of Stokes dont get me started.

HenryMonk
30-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Any idea how many assists he has? must be about 8 or 9?

£10m McGeady has 9 assists an 6 goals I think . . . no contest :thumbsup:

he has 4 assists, the same as john rankin. SPL website has him prob on four to. surprised at that low figure myself.
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10290~200910290,00.html

clerriehibs
30-03-2010, 11:42 AM

15 goals is a :blah:, is it? I take you r:blah: and raise it a :rolleyes:

God Petrie
30-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Anyone who has watched hibs this season will know Deeks has put in FAR more effort then Stokes. Stokes is almost a lazy Kris Boyd :greengrin

So original poster way off the mark.

I do agree Deeks tracking back is somtimes a waste of time as he rarely makes a telling tackle or interception and can be a weak spot for our opponents to isolate him. However he is asked to make that commitment and this season he certainly has. As for the greed of Stokes dont get me started.

Watch Stokes' movement the next time you are at a game and then tell me he is lazy. Absolute nonsense. Riordan is twice as greedy as Stokes but he's a Hibs fan so it's allowed I take it.

stubru59
30-03-2010, 12:01 PM
he has 4 assists, the same as john rankin. SPL website has him prob on four to. surprised at that low figure myself.
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10290~200910290,00.html (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10290~200910290,00.html)

I'm not. He's over-rated, over hyped, and over-priced

LamontHFC©
30-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not. He's over-rated, over hyped, and over-priced

Who are you taking about?

rubber mal
30-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Meanwhile, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini said: "It was a good performance by Carlos. He scored three important goals and we won this game. I am happy with him.

"He is scoring a lot of goals and has always been a good player. He is a young player, who is improving every year."

That's right, not one mention of that lazy bassa Deeks.

SRHibs
30-03-2010, 12:25 PM
After looking at this

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Goalscorers/0,,10290~200910290,00.html

there's just no way in hell that dropping either player would benefit us. That's too many goals to be missing out on and unfortunately they're the only 2 players in the squad who can score consistently.

Cocaine&Caviar
30-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Can we at least all agree his corner taking has been poor?

MyJo
30-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Watch Stokes' movement the next time you are at a game and then tell me he is lazy. Absolute nonsense. Riordan is twice as greedy as Stokes but he's a Hibs fan so it's allowed I take it.

TonyStokeprano
30-03-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10290~200910290,00.html (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Assists/0,,10290~200910290,00.html)

I can guarantee you he has at least 6 assists. Infact il tell you them now.

Stokes goal against hearts at easter road deek put the ball right onto this napper.

Stokes goal against celtic at parkhead coming from a derek riordan corner

Nish goal against motherwell away deek played the ball right into nish's path.

Miller's goal v aberdeen nish plays he ball to deek who sets up miller to clinch the game

Stokes first goals v motherwell at easter road Riordan playing the ball over the motherwell defence for stokes.

Played the ball into hanlon for his goal against irvine meadow.

picks out stokes in the box to score the 5th against hamilton

What is everyones problem with deek? he's scored in 4 of our last 5 games.

DirtyDeeds
30-03-2010, 01:00 PM
The improvement in Riordan's workrate this season is admirable, but in the end fairly unproductive. He has developed a wonderful knack (sp?) of piling back to support our exposed left-back about 4 yards behind the opposition full-back. So to some it appears he's making an effective contribution, whereas i see it as a noble gesture but contributes nothing. The full-back or supporting wide-midfielder do not relinquish possession as a result of Riordan's presence as he's there too late.

All it really does is leaves us one man short in attack should we be afforded the opportunity to counter, an area he used to cause considerable damage in in his first spell at the club, running at a defence short on numbers and having to move back the way, something the sloths in the DU back four tonight dont like to do. I also dont think the improved workrate has lead to better results for the team. Deek, dont get lazy, but dont do too much backtracking that isnt going to contribute anything, we need you up top :agree:

Arch Stanton
30-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Have to agree with that. I see Riordan tracking back every game, however the play tends to be way ahead of him and this makes him appear lazy. As Pat Nevin said on Saturday, "Riordan is not lazy, he just cant see it"

It's possible but sounds like he's giving Riordan the benefit of the doubt - even if he gets left behind he should still try and catch up.

While he often tracks back it is usually blindingly obvious when he lets his man go as it leaves us outnumbered at the back.

Anyway, I don't see why this thread should be about Riordan - if Hughes can give a technical appraisal of the role he would like Stokes to play in the team then why can't he do it for the rest of the team instead of giving his usual visions about commitment and passion.

PeterboroHibee
30-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Dont really see Yogis point tbh. Maybe just a bit of mind games to try and get that little bit more from Stokes, but seeing as Stokes is more or less the only one who can consistantly put the ball in the net from open play, would rather have others working to get the ball to him.

Dont think can say his link up play isnt good either, constantly see him bringing others into play (pass to Riordan for chance against Falkirk was class), picking the ball up etc. Maybe a bit selfish at times but strikers need to be, and considering how often his goals have won us games this season (epecially when weve been rubbish), having to feed on scraps because weve been set up terribly, think criticising him is a bit harsh.

500miles
30-03-2010, 09:47 PM
The fact that Riordan rarely performs for more than 20 minutes per match, plus the fact that he has played well from the bench makes me think more and more that he doesn't need 90 minutes, and that a harder working player, a more natural team player, a quicker player, or more dominant type should start in his place, allowing Riordan to come on and attack tiring teams with fresh legs. He'd probably get about as many goals as he does now.

Big Frank
30-03-2010, 10:02 PM

:top marks

Hibs On Tour
30-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Only baffling thing is how you haven't seen DR tracking back this season? FFS in the derby I saw him making tackles in the LB position! But hey, any chance to slate one of our own eh? :bitchy:

Bad Martini
30-03-2010, 11:29 PM
The only reason Riordan hasn't scored more goals than I would have expected at this point in the season is ironically DUE to the fact he has been found tackling and pissing around on the edge of OUR 18 yard box...........rather than the OPPOSITION.........which should please lots of folk who think his best talent is tracking back and "working" for the team!?!?!?!?!

I was much happier when he was banging in 25 goals a season.

That said, he still might, IN SPITE, of the fact he's now doing all this ****ing tracking back and defedning, WHILST sitting on Albion Road wide left......

Sometimes, words fail me.:grr: (but no now :greengrin)

As for Yogi talking aboot players in the press; nuff said. Stokes/Riordan/anyone - just "why" ?? Why dae it. Does it help? Nope.

ENDOF

matty_f
31-03-2010, 12:46 AM

:top marks

It's a total myth that Deeks is lazy. He works hard in games, problem is he's not a left midfielder at the end of the day, and the stuff that people would expect a more orthodox left midfielder to do just isn't in Deek's game.

What he can do, though, is bag a load of goals for the side, plus create chances for others.

The anti-Riordan threads are just another example of the increasing number of attempts to undermine the club, the players, and the manager from some posters.

See also threads hammering Nish, Benji, Zouma, Miller, Bamba, Stack, Smith, Maka, Stokes, Rankin, Yogi....

Owain_1987
31-03-2010, 12:49 AM

Why slate Deek :yawn: to me it just seems boring slating your own players.

Owain_1987
31-03-2010, 12:53 AM
What is everyones problem with deek? he's scored in 4 of our last 5 games.

It's called being fickle! Deek is a great footballer the best free kick taker in Scotland he is not very fast but nether is Beckham. He should be upfront but he is not and is still scoring. The thing is he is our best striker but he is also our best left winger.

Sandy
31-03-2010, 06:33 AM
15 goals from left midfield, and 6 assists (as posted earlier) aye he is over rated over hyped right enough :dummytit: I am starting to get bored of posting this but - best striker I have seen at ER in my time supporting HIbs, playing as a left midfielder and still chipping in with a lot of goals and some good assists, aye nae Hibs class right enough :faf:

degenerated
31-03-2010, 06:38 AM
what's with all this assists p!sh, it's no american football :grr:

Sandy
31-03-2010, 08:30 AM
what's with all this assists p!sh, it's no american football :grr:

:faf: Aye but how would you describe it in one word then ?

Peevemor
31-03-2010, 08:40 AM
It's called being fickle! Deek is a great footballer the best free kick taker in Scotland he is not very fast but nether is Beckham. He should be upfront but he is not and is still scoring. The thing is he is our best striker but he is also our best left winger.

15 goals from left midfield, and 6 assists (as posted earlier) aye he is over rated over hyped right enough :dummytit: I am starting to get bored of posting this but - best striker I have seen at ER in my time supporting HIbs, playing as a left midfielder and still chipping in with a lot of goals and some good assists, aye nae Hibs class right enough :faf:

Exactly.

If he'd went from the smellies to some other SPL club instead of us then can you imagine what this place would be like? Hibs don't get a shot of players like Deek very often, especially over a number of seasons.