PDA

View Full Version : Hibs 3 Rangers 4 highlights from 1997

hibeemikey21
29-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Good viewing this, even though we lose.

YouTube - Hibs 3 - Rangers 4 - October 1997 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4)

Look out for absolute belters from Gazza and Albertz and a particularly eye-watering challenge from Kev Harper on Porrini! Didnt realise he was that kind of player, then again, I was only 8 when this game was played!

Greentinted
29-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Arguably the fulcrum upon which our season turned that year. 3-1 up at half-time and cruising. Until a certain Mr Gascoigne decided to up the pace. However, no matter how mercurial the opposition, a two goal lead shoud never be surrendered.
For the neutrals though, definitely a sublime game of football.

Steve-O
30-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Arguably the fulcrum upon which our season turned that year. 3-1 up at half-time and cruising. Until a certain Mr Gascoigne decided to up the pace. However, no matter how mercurial the opposition, a two goal lead shoud never be surrendered.

The match that got us relegated :agree:

Peevemor
30-03-2010, 07:14 AM
The match that got us relegated :agree:

:agree: We totally lost our bottle after that.

I watched that match from the FF stand - I've no idea why. :confused:

Billy Whizz
30-03-2010, 07:32 AM
The park looks great!

brog
30-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Good viewing this, even though we lose.

YouTube - Hibs 3 - Rangers 4 - October 1997 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4)

Look out for absolute belters from Gazza and Albertz and a particularly eye-watering challenge from Kev Harper on Porrini! Didnt realise he was that kind of player, then again, I was only 8 when this game was played!

If I remember correctly the ref actually started the move for Huns' 2nd goal. Ran to get the ball for a foul, kicked it back & Ranger's player played it while still moving. What would Celtc think of that??!!
Also believe Darren Dods hit bar in last minute. Was pigsick at this result & as people say it changed our season, even so early on.

TheEastTerrace
30-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Aye, Gazza was sublime, but it was McCall coming on at HT who shored everything up for the Huns. He was everywhere. Definitely the turning point in that season for us :boo hoo:

Mon Dieu4
30-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Jimmy Boco had a chance to make it 4-1 but basically passed instead of shooting, also Gazza's free kick was a peach but his elbows were everywhere in a Hibs players face he fell over & then scored from the resulting free kick

Bassas :grr:

JE89
30-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Brings back good memories.

Harper would have been sent off for that challenge on about 1:00 these days - no doubt :agree:.

Anyone got the link to Larsons first game for the lesser green?

basehibby
30-03-2010, 10:28 AM
If I remember correctly the ref actually started the move for Huns' 2nd goal. Ran to get the ball for a foul, kicked it back & Ranger's player played it while still moving. What would Celtc think of that??!!
Also believe Darren Dods hit bar in last minute. Was pigsick at this result & as people say it changed our season, even so early on.

:agree: It all went pear shaped for Duff Jimmy after that and just kept on getting worse and worse.
Kind of shows how the collective phsyche is so important in football and team games in general. Prior to that match I remember we were cruising with goals from the half way line every other week. The nature of that defeat seemed to knock the stuffing right out of that side, who were eventually relegated.

Baader
30-03-2010, 11:02 AM
This game took place on my 21st birthday - 2nd October 1997!

Watched in in the FF thought we were going to get a famous victory on my big day. Like everyone else says, it was definitely the turning point of the season, we just fell apart after that.

After it went uptown with mates for my 21st and wound up at The Venue on Calton Rd where we bumped into a growling Yogi Hughes! Dunno if he'd had a few but he wisnae exactly very friendly!

hibsbollah
30-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I always forget how skilful Kevin Harper was:agree:
How good is Gazza in that game:bitchy:

jgl07
30-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Arguably the fulcrum upon which our season turned that year. 3-1 up at half-time and cruising. Until a certain Mr Gascoigne decided to up the pace. However, no matter how mercurial the opposition, a two goal lead should never be surrendered.
The match turned because every time a Hibs defender or midfielder went near a Rangers forward, the referee gave a free kick. With Gascoigne and Albertz in the other team you could not afford free kicks! So Hibs backed off and the inevitable happened.

Crawford, I recall, had a real chance to make it 4-1 before the floodgates opened.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Harper would have been sent off for that challenge on about 1:00 these days - no doubt :agree:.

Here ye go Jevitt

YouTube - Henrik Larsson's Celtic Debut - Chic Charnley Goal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIq7Rv_9Tk8)

Speedway
30-03-2010, 05:25 PM
2 Observations:

1. How silly did those 'Executive Boxes' in the old main stand look? The legacy of Duff David and Gray Jim.

2. Why do we look like a better and more skillful passing side in that footage than we do now?

heidtheba
30-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Was that the one where Gattuso played a blinder in the second half?

heidtheba
30-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Saw a link on that page to this
YouTube - Hibs 3 - Rangers 4 - January 1993 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTW-6I9JJVs)

Another 4-3 defeat to Rangers but my first Hibs match!

Bob Box Fish
30-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Was that the same where gazza was blasting the Baw at Gerry mcnee who was in the tv gantry ?

Bishop Hibee
30-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Jimmy Boco had a chance to make it 4-1 but basically passed instead of shooting, also Gazza's free kick was a peach but his elbows were everywhere in a Hibs players face he fell over & then scored from the resulting free kick

Bassas :grr:

I can see Boco running with the ball from the left side around the half way line as if it were yesterday. Bottled it in front of goal and passed and the chance was gone. It showed how brittle that side really was and how Duff Jimmy wasn't up to the job when the season fell apart after that :boo hoo:

.Sean.
30-03-2010, 06:46 PM

I've got a tape in the loft of that game, recorded live from Sky. My Dad won a competition in the EEN called the 'Carlsberg Penalty King' which meant he got to hit penalties into Jason Gardner at half time and he was in hospitality for the game.

Needless to say, he skied the first pen and scored one out of three :faf:

Steve-O
31-03-2010, 10:07 AM
2 Observations:

1. How silly did those 'Executive Boxes' in the old main stand look? The legacy of Duff David and Gray Jim.

2. Why do we look like a better and more skillful passing side in that footage than we do now?

I was thinking similarly when I watched it! :agree:

Pretty Boy
31-03-2010, 11:21 AM
A few points after watching that:

How big are the Hibs strips? Sleeves flapping about everywhere when players were running about.

How much of a tool does Stevie Crawford look with his sock rolled all the way down?

How bad is Oli the goallie? Gives away a penalty, lets an absolutely honking penalty roll under him, gets beat at 'his' side from Gazzas free kick(as good as it was) and then his positioning is shocking for the winner.

What was the point in that strange building in the corner between the FF stand and the old main stand?

How well does Lavety take his goal? Strong to hold of the defender and a composed finish.

Peevemor
31-03-2010, 11:30 AM

How big are the Hibs strips? Sleeves flapping about everywhere when players were running about.

How much of a tool does Stevie Crawford look with his sock rolled all the way down?

How bad is Oli the goallie? Gives away a penalty, lets an absolutely honking penalty roll under him, gets beat at 'his' side from Gazzas free kick(as good as it was) and then his positioning is shocking for the winner.

What was the point in that strange building in the corner between the FF stand and the old main stand?

How well does Lavety take his goal? Strong to hold of the defender and a composed finish.

That was a wee tv studio was it not?

hibsbollah
31-03-2010, 11:44 AM

He was ecstatic when it went in:agree:

heretoday
31-03-2010, 12:48 PM
My god is that 13 years ago? We were in the FF in line with both Gazza's free kick and the Albertz goal. They gave Negri an age to gather control of the ball for the last goal.

Great game.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2010, 12:58 PM
He was ecstatic when it went in:agree:

I think he pilled his hamstring not long after that goal. He was raving mad.

erskine-hibby
31-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Quite a game.
My most vivid memory of it was thinking why is no one closing down Albertz?
someone go to him, someone go to him, someone....ah ****!!

heidtheba
31-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Thing is, from what I remember, Oli never had the 'crap hibs keeper' reputation that seems to be so de rigeur in the press these days.