PDA

View Full Version : "Squad Meeting" Sparked Victory

Future17
29-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Apparently Stokes thinks we've turned a corner after a squad meeting where Yogi laid it on the line after recent results/performances.

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_striker_stokes_says_crisis_meeting_spurred_on _the_hibees_511876/index.shtml

Billychaotic182
29-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I still trust Yogi. His interviews are doing my head in a wee bit but i still think he is the man for the job and i think this shows it :agree:

NOLA
29-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Apparently Stokes thinks we've turned a corner after a squad meeting where Yogi laid it on the line after recent results/performances.

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_striker_stokes_says_crisis_meeting_spurred_on _the_hibees_511876/index.shtml (http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_striker_stokes_says_crisis_meeting_spurred_on _the_hibees_511876/index.shtml)

Pity Hughes never sat the team down for a meeting before the cup game.

sammy7
29-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Pity Hughes never sat the team down for a meeting before the cup game.

:agree: or the derby!

i was under the impression yogi has a pre match "meeting" with the players before every game. So because we beat bottom of the league Falkirk 3-1 its all because yogi had a "meeting" with the players before hand! yipee!

col02
29-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Give the guys a break ffs! Moan about this and moan about that. Given our record with regards to success you have to wonder what planet some of our supporters live on!

Joe's ice cream
29-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Give the guys a break ffs! Moan about this and moan about that. Given our record with regards to success you have to wonder what planet some of our supporters live on!

Totaly agree, i've been very disapointed at the recent response by our fans to every little thing that goes wrong!!

sammy7
29-03-2010, 03:15 PM

for the record im not moaning simply saying if it was because of the "meeting" we won then what happens before every other game?

J-C
29-03-2010, 03:19 PM
for the record im not moaning simply saying if it was because of the "meeting" we won then what happens before every other game?

Yes they probably have a pre match meeting but presumably on this occassion Yogi's gave them a good bollocking and told them to pull their fingers out or else. Most meetings will probably be the same and Yogi's expected the games to be big enough for them to raise their game, obviously they didn't so he's told them in no uncertain terms to get it sorted pronto.

Mikey
29-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I wonder if these are 2 way meetings. I wonder if the players get to point out that they're being outnumbered and over run in midfield every week.

Andy74
29-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I wonder if these are 2 way meetings. I wonder if the players get to point out that they're being outnumbered and over run in midfield every week.

I'm still not really following what the main point people have with this one is?

In a normal 442 you play with 2 central players and 2 wingers. You wouldn't expect the wingers to get too involved in the midfield battle.

When we have played 442 we get concerns because we are being over run in the middle and the 2 wide players aren't real midfielders.

When, however, we play 433 we get concerns about the 3 being outnumbered and that we should play 442.

So, I'm just a bit confused. Is the formation really the issue?

What do people want, 5 proper midfielders with 3 central and 2 wide players who actually sit back in midfield, leaving just one actual striker?

Are we really that poor that we need to pack the midfield and hope that 1 striker can do something? I don't really think we are.

I don't think the formation is the issue people think it is. There's other things that are problematic but people seem to think there is some simple thing that can be done with the formation to sort it. I've yet to hear what it is though.

bingo70
29-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm still not really following what the main point people have with this one is?

In a normal 442 you play with 2 central players and 2 wingers. You wouldn't expect the wingers to get too involved in the midfield battle.

When we have played 442 we get concerns because we are being over run in the middle and the 2 wide players aren't real midfielders.

When, however, we play 433 we get concerns about the 3 being outnumbered and that we should play 442.

What do people want, 5 proper midfielders with 3 central and 2 wide players who actually sit back in midfield, leaving just one actual striker?

Are we really that poor that we need to pack the midfield and hope that 1 striker can do something? I don't really think we are.

I don't think the formation is the issue people think it is. There's other things that are problematic but people seem to think there is some simple thing that can be done with the formation to sort it. I've yet to hear what it is though.

:agree:

completely agree, if 4-4-2 was such a great formation then all teams would be playing it, however the vast majority of teams now play 4-5-1 which would mean we'd still be getting over-run in midfield but with less of a goal threat on the pitch.

the fact that Yogi is getting stick for having a clear the air metting that appears to have worked says it all to me TBH.

Eaststand
29-03-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm a Yogi fan and I want and expect the big fella to get it right, and he will.
I know that as a player, even before he hit the pro ranks, he's got a rep as being a hardman, and not many ever messed with him either on or off the park.
With that in mind tho I'm wondering if theres anyone in our team who has the balls to point out that maybe, just maybe, there's a wee thing or two needing tweaked at times...

GGTTH

matty_f
29-03-2010, 05:13 PM
:agree:

completely agree, if 4-4-2 was such a great formation then all teams would be playing it, however the vast majority of teams now play 4-5-1 which would mean we'd still be getting over-run in midfield but with less of a goal threat on the pitch.

the fact that Yogi is getting stick for having a clear the air metting that appears to have worked says it all to me TBH.
:top marks

IMHO, there's been a worrying trend on here recently of people seeking to undermine the manager (from 'slamming' everything he does to calling him names, to giving absolutely zero credit to him for anything), and this is even from known and no doubt respected Hibees.

I tell you what, if there are players who aren't up for what Yogi's wanting, then all they have to do is carry on doing what they're doing and sooner or later the groundswell of opinion against Yogi will gather pace, fuelled by the agenda-motivated anti-Yogi posts and threads on here, and we'll see him forced out. The players will stay and a new manager will come in to see how long he lasts before the same happens to him.

Folk seriously need to get a grip and start getting behind the team and the manager. Start supporting the team FFS, and stop this constant barrage of ******ing pointless criticism about everything and everything.

YetholmHibee
29-03-2010, 05:14 PM

I wonder what planet you live on if you think getting beat by Ross County in the Scottish Cup is okay? :wink:

Would you you rather we all said - 'unlucky chaps . . . theres always next year!' . :bitchy:

Hibby Kay-Yay
29-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I wonder what planet you live on if you think getting beat by Ross County in the Scottish Cup is okay? :wink:

Would you you rather we all said - 'unlucky chaps . . . theres always next year!' . :bitchy:

He has a point though, this is rapidly becoming moan.net :wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
29-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the most important question for the season should be .........chocolate digestive or plain???

Cropley10
29-03-2010, 05:29 PM

We've played 3 in midfield for 2 seasons now. The football is often honking to watch and we look very predictable. I don't advocate one formation over another but we need to mix it up, with 4 or even 5 in there at times.

col02
29-03-2010, 06:11 PM

The past 108 years has seen us fail to win the cup so why was this year to be any different because we had the luck of the draw? County played better than Hibs on Wednesday and went thru. We should have beaten them on paper but I have enough respect for other teams to say they deserved it more. Like every season we have failed to win the cup it is now in my mind consigned to history. Try moving on from the cup exit because despite what some people think there is still a lot to play for!

andyhibs
29-03-2010, 06:46 PM
the ideal formation for any football team is 3-5-2,but hibs like many other teams dont have the players that can play that system. what you need are 2 really fit full backs who can bomb forward when they have the ball, and bomb back when they dont . so in essence 5-4-1 when defending, keeping the back and midfield tight, and in possesion well take your pick3-4-3,3-5-2,3-4-3:blah:

Viva_Palmeiras
29-03-2010, 07:17 PM

IMHO, there's been a worrying trend on here recently of people seeking to undermine the manager (from 'slamming' everything he does to calling him names, to giving absolutely zero credit to him for anything), and this is even from known and no doubt respected Hibees.

I tell you what, if there are players who aren't up for what Yogi's wanting, then all they have to do is carry on doing what they're doing and sooner or later the groundswell of opinion against Yogi will gather pace, fuelled by the agenda-motivated anti-Yogi posts and threads on here, and we'll see him forced out. The players will stay and a new manager will come in to see how long he lasts before the same happens to him.

Folk seriously need to get a grip and start getting behind the team and the manager. Start supporting the team FFS, and stop this constant barrage of ******ing pointless criticism about everything and everything.

Was thinking about starting a separate thread but seems appropriate here.

I've been online since the Hibs list ('94?) and in the last 4-5 years have been wondering whether online forums have just gone past their peak (of usefulness?).

The wind-ups (Hibs and non-Hibs) the interlopers, attention seekers, manic depressives, . Has the quality has been diluted - just like with 24 hour news quantity replaces quality?

Its a different form of communication because of the immediacy. However a lot of the endless debates that get re-drudged up (cos the technology is there) would have just got lost in the drunken haze previously. Does it stop us from moving on?

Note to self: Maybe thats an improvement in quality.

So now I view forums a bit less seriously than I did (perhaps its a maturity thing or I took things too seriously in the first place!).

What I would say is that I hope that its does not become the only barometer by which fans take their lead. Its like "outraged from Stevenage who didn't even listen to Jonathan Ross or know who Russell Brand was let alone Andrew Sachs or his grand daughter."

As a parting thought - has anyone read The Dice Man by Luke Reinhold (?) Football forums seem a bit like that (figuratively of course).

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Was thinking about starting a separate thread but seems appropriate here.

I've been online since the Hibs list ('94?) and in the last 4-5 years have been wondering whether online forums have just gone past their peak (of usefulness?).

The wind-ups (Hibs and non-Hibs) the interlopers, attention seekers, manic depressives, . Has the quality has been diluted - just like with 24 hour news quantity replaces quality?

Its a different form of communication because of the immediacy. However a lot of the endless debates that get re-drudged up (cos the technology is there) would have just got lost in the drunken haze previously. Does it stop us from moving on?

Note to self: Maybe thats an improvement in quality.

So now I view forums a bit less seriously than I did (perhaps its a maturity thing or I took things too seriously in the first place!).

What I would say is that I hope that its does not become the only barometer by which fans take their lead. Its like "outraged from Stevenage who didn't even listen to Jonathan Ross or know who Russell Brand was let alone Andrew Sachs or his grand daughter."

As a parting thought - has anyone read The Dice Man by Luke Reinhold (?) Football forums seem a bit like that (figuratively of course).

I think you make a lot of interesting points - we're forever casting things up on here and suspecting folk of wind-ups. Then we have folk that make subtle points about someone/something to plant a seed in folks mind. I think this has been done to best effect with the posts about Stack - the majority were happy with him, while a few would continuall post wee digs. As soon as he contributes to a goal against we have a tidal wave of folk wanting him out of the team.

I've got the Dice Man in my book cupboard - I do plan to get round to it - is it worthwhile moving it up my to read list?

Viva_Palmeiras
29-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I think you make a lot of interesting points - we're forever casting things up on here and suspecting folk of wind-ups. Then we have folk that make subtle points about someone/something to plant a seed in folks mind. I think this has been done to best effect with the posts about Stack - the majority were happy with him, while a few would continuall post wee digs. As soon as he contributes to a goal against we have a tidal wave of folk wanting him out of the team.

I've got the Dice Man in my book cupboard - I do plan to get round to it - is it worthwhile moving it up my to read list?

As I've commented before I think some things are hopefully a storm in an internet tea cup when things spill over thats when I'd worry.

As for the book - absolutely mental but a right good read. It did get too mental towards the end.

Basically about a psychologist/psychiatrist who turns rogue and starts off playing through the laws of the dice first its just him then it escalates off the scale. Makes you think what manipulative people can do to vulnerable/easily led folks.

hibee_nation
29-03-2010, 08:29 PM
As I've commented before I think some things are hopefully a storm in an internet tea cup when things spill over thats when I'd worry.

As for the book - absolutely mental but a right good read. It did get too mental towards the end.

Basically about a psychologist/psychiatrist who turns rogue and starts off playing through the laws of the dice first its just him then it escalates off the scale. Makes you think what manipulative people can do to vulnerable/easily led folks.

You only need to look at the yams to see that. Did the psychologist mention building a new stand in the book. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I think the reason we won was because Darren Barr canny hit an empty net and the cross bar isn't any higher.

Is Stokes trying to say that was an inspired performance?

Confidence is important in football, so if the players believe they've turned the corner, maybe they will.

We'll find out soon enough.

sahib
29-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I think the main reason we won was that we were playing the bottom of the league and therefore a team worse than us. If the players think we have turned a corner then that is great.

greenlex
29-03-2010, 08:36 PM
We've played 3 in midfield for 2 seasons now. The football is often honking to watch and we look very predictable. I don't advocate one formation over another but we need to mix it up, with 4 or even 5 in there at times.
There is nothing wrong with 433 but two strikers need to run about a bit and track back forming the 4th or 5th midfielder. We do not at present have the players to play this formation IMO.
edit - or two attacking midfielders who can score goals and track back a bit.

The_Todd
29-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I wished Stokes would stop talking to the papers and do his talking on the pitch by actually scoring some goals!!!1!1 LOL!!1!

Whoops.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I think the reason we won was because Darren Barr canny hit an empty net and the cross bar isn't any higher.

Is Stokes trying to say that was an inspired performance?

Confidence is important in football, so if the players believe they've turned the corner, maybe they will.

We'll find out soon enough.

I wonder what the league table would look like if the crossbars were a wee bit higher...:greengrin

hhibs
29-03-2010, 09:15 PM

"Few books can change your life,this is one "

Read and acted on it in the 70's,if you read it and act on it your partner,other half and others close to you will see a veryyyyyyyyy different side of you!

I lasted only a few weeks, part time and, had a very understanding girlfriend at the time.

Worth the read if only for the one truth,life is a lottery!

PS I agree leave Stack in goals,we have bigger problems in the team.

GGTTH

J-C
29-03-2010, 11:34 PM
To play 4-5-1 and still play attacking football, you need to have quality wingers, Man U for instance, or play the same system and make it hard for the opposition by filling the midfield with workhorses. In our 4-3-3 system we need 1 or even 2 of the attackers to track back and fill the midfield gaps, which aint gonna happen when we have Deek, Stokes and Nish.

Steve-O
30-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Would've thought the manager met the players every day nah? :confused:

Gatecrasher
30-03-2010, 07:12 AM

bighairyfaeleith
30-03-2010, 07:15 AM
While delighted at getting the win on saturday, I'm still seriously concerned at the perfromance. From what I have heard, we didn't pass well, we defended for large portions of the game and if falkirk had taken some more of ther chances or stack hadn't been so good we could have been beaten 5-3.

I'm not quite ready for a love in yet folks.

I do hope yogi turns it around, just wanting to put some perspective on things, becuase if we are not ready by tomorrow night for dundee utd then we will get pumped harder than fjk on a nightout in lithuania!!

bighairyfaeleith
30-03-2010, 07:17 AM

sorry but if I have concerns then why can't I say them, should I pm them to you first so you can check them :confused:

matty_f
30-03-2010, 07:31 AM
sorry but if I have concerns then why can't I say them, should I pm them to you first so you can check them :confused:

Yes, because that's exactly what I meant.:bitchy:

bighairyfaeleith
30-03-2010, 07:32 AM

ok well at least I know the new procedure now

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Would've thought the manager met the players every day nah? :confused:

Of course he will but only for training and that. I suspect that this was a clear the air/cards on the table meeting rather than just "you stand there at corners" type of meeeting.

Danderhall Hibs
30-03-2010, 07:38 AM

PM sent - I've got a slightly controversial opinion that I'd like to clear with you before I post.

TornadoHibby
30-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Any team sport of a competitive nature requires each team coach to be constantly looking at the opposition strengths and weaknesses during a game such that strengths can be combated and negated before they cause problems and weaknesses can be exploited before they are rectified. :agree:

Each game changes many times during 90 minutes and a good coach will see these changes and constantly adjust his formation (sometimes in only very minor ways) and personnel (if necessary and appropriate) to assist him achieve the team objectives whih most importantly is to win the match IMO! :agree:

I think the biggest problem I have noticed since the Aberdeen away match in December (and incl that match which we won when we really should have lost by two or three goals on play and shots on target etc (Maka was in goal that day in case anyone is wondering :wink:!)) is that we don't seem to make any tactical, positional or personnel changes when we really need to and the team now perhaps expects the opposition to take control of the game as that is what has largely been happeneing since that Todders game! :confused:

Could explain the lack of effort, commitment, will to win, fight etc in a bizarre kind of way! :dunno:

One thing is sure though, if we are to finish 3rd in the SL this season, the above-mentioned needs to be sorted for tomorrow night's game and for every game from then to the end of the season otherwise we won't! :confused:

There's no points for coming second best in these games and any professional, competitive sportsman would hate to finish second best wouldn't he? :confused:

Mickey Edwards
30-03-2010, 08:31 AM
"Few books can change your life,this is one "

Read and acted on it in the 70's,if you read it and act on it your partner,other half and others close to you will see a veryyyyyyyyy different side of you!

I lasted only a few weeks, part time and, had a very understanding girlfriend at the time.

Worth the read if only for the one truth,life is a lottery!
PS I agree leave Stack in goals,we have bigger problems in the team.

GGTTH

Just have a read of "To a mouse" by Mr R. Burns ; says much the same thing but it's shorter and more beautiful ..... {a bit like Alex Edwards himself ?!}

matty_f
30-03-2010, 08:58 AM
PM sent - I've got a slightly controversial opinion that I'd like to clear with you before I post.

:aok: Vetted and passed.

Post away.:agree: