PDA

View Full Version : Media Goverments Plan To Fix Fitba

Gettin' Auld
29-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Can't see this happening.

[/URL][url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/28/government-plan-football-clubs-fans (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/28/government-plan-football-clubs-fans)

Woody1985
29-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I've only skimmed the article but that's complete fantasy, probably to try and win votes.

Are the government seriously going to try to force private business owners and PLCs to sell to specific groups?

First of all, it wouldn't work because the seller would just price the fans out of the market and if they didn't it would probably make it a less attractive proposition for private investors and have a negative impact on the value/share price.

Next time Tesco is up for sale should everyone with a loyalty card be offered to club together to buy a quarter of the business?

Edit; just seen that an independant would give the business a price. I thought things were worth what others were willing to pay, why should owners be forced to sell at a particular price when they may be able to obtain more value elsewhere, it could also potentially block a sale if the price is set too high.

I do think fans should have a voice at clubs but the way this is described isn't the way to do it IMO.

Gettin' Auld
29-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I've only skimmed the article but that's complete fantasy, probably to try and win votes.

Are the government seriously going to try to force private business owners and PLCs to sell to specific groups?

First of all, it wouldn't work because the seller would just price the fans out of the market and if they didn't it would probably make it a less attractive proposition for private investors and have a negative impact on the value/share price.

Next time Tesco is up for sale should everyone with a loyalty card be offered to club together to buy a quarter of the business?

Edit; just seen that an independant would give the business a price. I thought things were worth what others were willing to pay, why should owners be forced to sell at a particular price when they may be able to obtain more value elsewhere, it could also potentially block a sale if the price is set too high.

I do think fans should have a voice at clubs but the way this is described isn't the way to do it IMO.

It's definitely election time. :agree:

--------
29-03-2010, 11:11 AM
It's definitely election time. :agree:

Brown the Raith Rovers supporter. Aye, right. :rolleyes:

Anybody checked whether he claimed back the money for his Rovers shares on expenses? :devil:

Keith_M
29-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Why would the government need to 'fix' fitba'?

Ask any Sellik fan and they'll tell you it's all 'fixed' already.

:greengrin

davemcbain
29-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Have I time warped to April 1st?

ballengeich
29-03-2010, 01:39 PM

There's a precedent in the right to buy legislation for crofts which has assisted in allowing some large estates to go into community ownership. The Assynt Trust is an example.

So the answer is yes, it is possible to place limits on the disposal of private property. Football clubs are like crofts - who'd have thought it.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Brown the Raith Rovers supporter. Aye, right. :rolleyes:

Are you saying he doesn't support them? I've seen/read him talk about Raith Rovers and he definitely seems to be a fan.

Not everyone supports Rangers or Celtic.

davemcbain
29-03-2010, 02:12 PM
There's a precedent in the right to buy legislation for crofts which has assisted in allowing some large estates to go into community ownership. The Assynt Trust is an example.

So the answer is yes, it is possible to place limits on the disposal of private property. Football clubs are like crofts - who'd have thought it.

If so, I'd fully expect supporters to wait the absolute minimum period of time and then become hell bent on selling their new assets to the highest bidder. :wink: