PDA

View Full Version : racism in the Hibernian support

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:11 PM
It seems that it is alive and kicking! I was at the game at Falkirk,and a group of 4 men with a wee laddie along with them,and a thick EAST lOTHIAN accent were making totally unbeleivable remarks about black players on the park, and the first outburst was from the guy who had his 7/8 year old son with him! totally disgusting to hear him say.........Get Intae That Jungle Bunny,and that was referring to the Falkirk striker, Who at that moment was being challenged for a ball by none other than Sol Bamba!!!!! the Hero was sitting right behind me,and wore glasses. IF i'd been 10 years younger i'd have sent him tae the moon,ignorant bastuard!!!!!!!! why are we plagued wi' tits like this? a mate of his said,yer not allowed tae say that ,nudge nudge,which is f/kin more disgusting,and the wee laddie says,which one is the Jungle Bunny Da? DONT EVEN SAY YOU SHOULD HAVE PULLED HIM UP. i' d be in jail now,:grr:****' so any of you chaps from East Lothian,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,name and shame!!!!

Hibernian Verse
28-03-2010, 11:13 PM
What's an East Lothian accent? Is it not just the same as Edinburgh but with a farmer ring to the word 'farmer'?

And East Lothian's a big place, I could find you a lot of men with glasses :greengrin

But I agree, unacceptable. Problem is, it'll never be wiped out.

givescotlandfreedom
28-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Tynecastle always draws out lowlife among our support but I heard a lot of racist shouting there too. The example you give shows how stupid these people really are.

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:19 PM
meant to add,on this particular subject that Grant Stott was 3 seats away from me, and hope he comments in tommorow's EEN. I gave that twat behind me the evil eye after his comments ,but i'm sure i'd be as well talking tae the lampost outside ma hoose!

ballengeich
28-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Some years ago at a game v Rangers I heard a Hibs supporter urging one of our players to run past Basile Boli with the words "Skin the ******". The Hibs player he was cheering on was Kevin Harper. Sadly, we have our share of lowlife morons in the support.

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:31 PM
What's an East Lothian accent? Is it not just the same as Edinburgh but with a farmer ring to the word 'farmer'?

And East Lothian's a big place, I could find you a lot of men with glasses :greengrin

But I agree, unacceptable. Problem is, it'll never be wiped out.LISTEN BUDDY,I know an East Lothian accent,i'm not trying to say that a'body fae East Lothian is a racist,merely pointing out the fact that they had that accent,and hopefully drawing attention to people from there, that may know who i'm reffering to! your refferance to glasses is rather fllippant too:bitchy:

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Some years ago at a game v Rangers I heard a Hibs supporter urging one of our players to run past Basile Boli with the words "Skin the ******". The Hibs player he was cheering on was Kevin Harper. Sadly, we have our share of lowlife morons in the support.:agree:heard the same kind of remark at that very game. thought we'd outgrown that pish,but the twats behind me were roughly the same age as me:grr:

Big Frank
28-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Fancy reporting him to the police at the time?. Its illegal you see.

Means you don't need to spraff about it 24 hourse late on a message board!

People like you are part of the problem.

Hainan Hibs
28-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Any specky bassa's in East Lothian might want to consider contacts to avoid a mob hit:greengrin

craig1875
28-03-2010, 11:42 PM

To probably be told it's your word against his. Then have to sit in front of him for the rest of the game. :bitchy:

noseyhibby
28-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I concur with your thoughts on the guy concerned. Next time hopefully he will be turned on by those around him and made to feel not only small but ashamed, just before he gets carted away and given a lifetimes ban. His son is evidently being brought up to be the next generation to carry on where he left off. :bitchy:

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:46 PM

People like you are part of the problem.alright for you to say that now big man,you dont not how enraged I was at the time and the fact that the ersehole had a bairn wi' him stopped me fae lampin' the c'nut stopped me,also with my mates calming me doon! so dont try and lecture me , I **** feel bad enough about the fact that I didnae gub the **** at the time !:grr:

1two
28-03-2010, 11:47 PM
LISTEN BUDDY,I know an East Lothian accent,i'm not trying to say that a'body fae East Lothian is a racist,merely pointing out the fact that they had that accent,and hopefully drawing attention to people from there, that may know who i'm reffering to! your refferance to glasses is rather fllippant too:bitchy:

Easy mate, I think he was havin a laugh rather than havin a go at you!

I must havin been near you cos I seen GS but didnt hear anything like that. Unfortunately our support has a fair few knobs, I've found that out recently at Tynecastle etc.
I hate the fact that I and probably so many other hibs fans detest that type of behaviour/ignorance/**** and wouldn't accept it being sung by opposition fans, yet we have so many ********s in our own support.

In Scotland are the anti-racists/fascists/bigots in minority? Probably not, yet for some reason we let casual racist remarks by others go and turn a blind eye. We've all heard it somewhere, and by not saying something we've just accepted it! (Thts not a go at you)

Sorry for the post without much of a point but i've had a few Sunday beers!

ballengeich
28-03-2010, 11:50 PM

No we're not. We haven't found the best solution yet, but we aren't the problem. If you don't agree with me please tell us your history in similar situations.

monktonharp
28-03-2010, 11:51 PM

People like you are part of the problem. :grr::grr::grr:

1two
28-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Thats ridiculous!

Big Frank
28-03-2010, 11:58 PM
alright for you to say that now big man,you dont not how enraged I was at the time and the fact that the ersehole had a bairn wi' him stopped me fae lampin' the c'nut stopped me,also with my mates calming me doon! so dont try and lecture me , I **** feel bad enough about the fact that I didnae gub the **** at the time !:grr:

Who's lecturing you wee man?

You didnae even speak to him at the time! Your only course of action was to "lamp" him!!! You only refrained from that becasue he had a bairn wi' him.:faf::faf:

You're that daft, that you find it acceptable to assault someone for name calling. You see any irony there:confused:

It enraged you that much, you had to say nothing at the game, but put it on Hibs.net a day later:rolleyes:

The above is why in my opinion people like you are part of the problem.

Spare us.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:00 AM
No we're not. We haven't found the best solution yet, but we aren't the problem. If you don't agree with me please tell us your history in similar situations.

:confused:
I was replying to Monktonharp.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:02 AM
:grr::grr::grr:

Monktonharp, are yo bevvied or something? You've already replied to my post. 5mins from your one quoted here!

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Thats ridiculous!

Not for me 1two.

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Easy mate, I think he was havin a laugh rather than havin a go at you!

I must havin been near you cos I seen GS but didnt hear anything like that. Unfortunately our support has a fair few knobs, I've found that out recently at Tynecastle etc.
I hate the fact that I and probably so many other hibs fans detest that type of behaviour/ignorance/**** and wouldn't accept it being sung by opposition fans, yet we have so many ********s in our own support.

In Scotland are the anti-racists/fascists/bigots in minority? Probably not, yet for some reason we let casual racist remarks by others go and turn a blind eye. We've all heard it somewhere, and by not saying something we've just accepted it! (Thts not a go at you)

Sorry for the post without much of a point but i've had a few Sunday beers!appreciate your comment,and yes, I've had a couple too:greengrin so i'll try and calm doon a bit but it has been bugging me since Falkirk,and MAYBE i COULD HAVE MADE MORE OF IT AT THE TIME:grr:although big Frankie boy seems to think that the likes of me and my comments are irrelevant on this issue.:grr:

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:05 AM
appreciate your comment,and yes, I've had a couple too:greengrin so i'll try and calm doon a bit but it has been bugging me since Falkirk,and MAYBE i COULD HAVE MADE MORE OF IT AT THE TIME:grr:although big Frankie boy seems to think that the likes of me and my comments are irrelevant on this issue.:grr:

Wow! What a revelation.

Your getting there wee monktie boy:wink:

ballengeich
29-03-2010, 12:09 AM
:confused:
I was replying to Monktonharp.

You were, but I was sympathising with Monktonharp in being unsure how to deal with the situation. You suggested reporting it to the police, but would they do anything? If they don't what's the alternative?

1two
29-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Not for me 1two.

So every time you've been in that situation (Which regardless of your age/background you will no doubt have been) you have immediately reported it to the police, Big Frank?

1two
29-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Wow! What a revelation.

Your getting there wee monktie boy:wink:

And you coming across as a right pennis!

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:12 AM
You were, but I was sympathising with Monktonharp in being unsure how to deal with the situation. You suggested reporting it to the police, but would they do anything? If they don't what's the alternative?

The boy will never know if he doesn't tell them!! What would you do if you seen a boy assault another boy? You'd report it?

The alternative?

Moan about it on a computer:confused:

:rolleyes:

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:13 AM
So every time you've been in that situation (Which regardless of your age/background you will no doubt have been) you have immediately reported it to the police, Big Frank?

Nah, 1two.

I bleat about it on a computer.

1two
29-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Nah, 1two.

I bleat about it on a computer.

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Monktonharp, are yo bevvied or something? You've already replied to my post. 5mins from your one quoted here!

Naw Frank,not bevvied or something,had a couple no doubt but as coherant as you,(i think) so,you think people like me that wait 24 hours to make a point are perpetuating the racist problem,that is in our(Hibernian)midst?

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:17 AM
And you coming across as a right pennis!

Resorting to personal insults now 1two:confused::confused:

C'mon then, what exactly have I posted on this thread which merits you getting into a state?

As you posted at 12.47, perhaps you've had a few beers - maybe you're fishing for a fight which isn't actually there?

1two
29-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Resorting to personal insults now 1two:confused::confused:

C'mon then, what exactly have I posted on this thread which merits you getting into a state?

As you posted at 12.47, perhaps you've had a few beers - maybe you're fishing for a fight which isn't actually there?

Your right big frank, I retract my insult and apologise, but your definately coming across as a patronizing, condescending individual!

lEXO
29-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Naw Frank,not bevvied or something,had a couple no doubt but as coherant as you,(i think) so,you think people like me that wait 24 hours to make a point are perpetuating the racist problem,that is in our(Hibernian)midst?
Dinnae bite anymore.Big Franks on the windup i think.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:22 AM

If people don't do something about a problem, there is very little chance of that problem going away.

My only point Monkton is that posting about it a day later isn't actually doing something is it?

You telling me, your that irrational that you couldnae go and have a quiet word in some coppers ear that you sit in row X and there is a rascist bawbag 3 rows behind you, and that you want that officer to do something about it? If he does nowt, you take that officers number down and take it further? If it is enrageing you that much, surely you should have acted, otherwise it seems that you are just postulating on a fitba' board.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Your right big frank, I retract my insult and apologise, but your definately coming across as a patronizing, condescending individual!

Thats got to be about the worst apology I've ever had:faf:

1two
29-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Thats got to be about the worst apology I've ever had:faf:

Surely better than being a pennis!:greengrin

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Dinnae bite anymore.Big Franks on the windup i think.

I'm making valid points lEXO. No wind up.

The boy behind the OP is a rascist bawbag, who has no place in the Hibernian support.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Surely better than being a pennis!:greengrin

:faf:

:agree:

1two
29-03-2010, 12:26 AM

The boy behind the OP is a rascist bawbag, who has no place in the Hibernian support.

:faf: Shut up ya big tube! :bye:

ballengeich
29-03-2010, 12:29 AM
The boy will never know if he doesn't tell them!! What would you do if you seen a boy assault another boy? You'd report it?

The alternative?

Moan about it on a computer:confused:

I take your point that moaning on a computer isn't a solution, and I begin to understand your "part of the problem" argument, though it's unkind the OP. Not being sure of a solution doesn't make you part of a problem.

So what should we do. I'll argue with people at the time, trying to embarrass them if it's physically safe (I'm not a fighter), and there are things I'd report. In general, I believe that shaming people and getting them to think they're out of line with people around them is most likely to succeed.

lEXO
29-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Not by saying they are part of the problem, and inferring they are pissed.As for the racist bawbag, you are right about that.I personally would have challenged him, as i have done in the past with hibs supporters.But i dont blame monkton for not doing so, and defo dont think he is part of the problem.You are inferring he is to blame in some way, and that is wrong.

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I do not want to rattle on about this Big Frank, but your comments have made me look like some sort of half ersed tit,and I feel insulted because of it. is it you that's half bevvied? trying to infer that I only come on here full of the peeve,when I really should have got the guy arrested along with his wee laddie at the time?

lEXO
29-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I do not want to rattle on about this Big Frank, but your comments have made me look like some sort of half ersed tit,and I feel insulted because of it. is it you that's half bevvied? trying to infer that I only come on here full of the peeve,when I really should have got the guy arrested along with his wee laddie at the time?
You know what mh, it,s easy for other people to make judgement on others.But unless they are in a situation, all it is is their opinion.It,s mad that your post on a racist hibs fan has been turned round on you.Unfair to say the least.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:44 AM

Sorry Monktonharp I disagree that my comments made you look look like "a half ersed tit", and it certainly wasn't my intention. Whether your own comments have made you feel like a half ersed tit, I can't comment.

Me half bevvied? Sorry to disappoint you there, but with two sons, one aged 6 and the other 4months, being bevvied on a Sunday night/monday morning is a distant dream.

I'm not inferring that you come on here " full of peeve":confused: WTF are you on about:confused: You made a reply to my post, then replied again 5mins later. It was me giving a poor attempt at humour.....

As for "getting the guy arrested":confused: eh? The early part of your thread is all about you wanting to , I quote "lamp the ****" and your friends having to calm you down - i gave you a very reasonable scenario about a possible solution. Nothing else.

Dearie me.

I'll bug out here Monktonharp, I'm sort of pissing into the wind.

lEXO
29-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Sorry Monktonharp I disagree that my comments made you look look like "a half ersed tit", and it certainly wasn't my intention. Whether your own comments have made you feel like a half ersed tit, I can't comment.

Me half bevvied? Sorry to disappoint you there, but with two sons, one aged 6 and the other 4months, being bevvied on a Sunday night/monday morning is a distant dream.

I'm not inferring that you come on here " full of peeve":confused: WTF are you on about:confused: You made a reply to my post, then replied again 5mins later. It was me giving a poor attempt at humour.....

As for "getting the guy arrested":confused: eh? The early part of your thread is all about you wanting to , I quote "lamp the ****" and your friends having to calm you down - i gave you a very reasonable scenario about a possible solution. Nothing else.

Dearie me.

I'll bug out here Monktonharp, I'm sort of pissing into the wind.
:bye: Deary me indeed.

ballengeich
You know what mh, it,s easy for other people to make judgement on others.But unless they are in a situation, all it is is their opinion.It,s mad that your post on a racist hibs fan has been turned round on you.Unfair to say the least.

You're right. The posters here are in agreement about what we want, it's just an argument about tactics. MH, your intentions are good. Shame on the individual behind you - that's who we're all against.

Big Frank

:top marks

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:49 AM
:bye: Deary me indeed.

Sooo lEXO. What are you all about?. You reply to me replying to Monktonharp.

What points in my reply to another poster do you take issue with? Is nobody talking to you on this thread?

Do you feel left out:dummytit:

Bayern Bru
29-03-2010, 12:51 AM

It's not always easy to go and find a bobby and say "By the way ossifer, that git behind me is shouting racial abuse." For a variety of reasons. From personal experience, I once did exactly as Frank is suggesting. I told a steward and a policeman, pointed out the individual who said "Okay, we'll have a word." Unless the concept of "having a word" has changed dramatically, nothing was done about it. I appreciate not every polisman or steward is the same, but I've heard of this happening more than once to others, and as a result we feel less inclined to try and get something done about it for fear of being largely ignored.

lEXO
29-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Sooo lEXO. What are you all about?. You reply to me replying to Monktonharp.

What points in my reply to another poster do you take issue with? Is nobody talking to you on this thread?

Do you feel left out:dummytit:
No i dont feel left out at all.I think you were wrong when you asked two different posters if they had been drinking.That infered that their posts were silly.It is pretty patronising to infer this,as you yourself were posting at the same time, and you arent bevvied.(neither am i ). This after saying that they were part of the problem.That is garbage.just because he did,nt challenge them.The final part of your last post to me is also patronising,but not surprising.What are you all about?

The Green Goblin
29-03-2010, 02:50 AM
The fact that this thread, where a Hibs fan has posted serious concerns about their experience of an openly and disgustingly racist element within our own support, has ended up with that same fan having to defend their decision to express that concern here on a Hibs fans messageboard, sadly, says it all.

Perhaps, MH, it`s time to raise these concerns with the club? Because raising it on here only seems to bring you criticism for not somehow removing racism from Scottish football single-handed. Of course, you could have done something about it, if only you were a smug know-it-all.

It`s depressing to read Hibs fans aiming at you for posting this, instead of focusing on the true problem here - the fans who are dragging the good name of our club through the ******.

If it`s any help/consolation, I`m with you 100%.

GG

BroxburnHibee
29-03-2010, 05:12 AM
The fact that this thread, where a Hibs fan has posted serious concerns about their experience of an openly and disgustingly racist element within our own support, has ended up with that same fan having to defend their decision to express that concern here on a Hibs fans messageboard, sadly, says it all.

Perhaps, MH, it`s time to raise these concerns with the club? Because raising it on here only seems to bring you criticism for not somehow removing racism from Scottish football single-handed. Of course, you could have done something about it, if only you were a smug know-it-all.

It`s depressing to read Hibs fans aiming at you for posting this, instead of focusing on the true problem here - the fans who are dragging the good name of our club through the ******.

GG

The guy posted his experience at a HIBS football match on here and gets pelters for it. :confused:

RIP
29-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Not the first time

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/09/17/SOCCER_Falkirk_Substitute.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

I've heard BNP Hibbies sing 'Edinburgh is Wonderful'

Seen Hibbies giving Nazi salutes

Heard countless people shout 'Black B' and 'Coon'

None were regular faces but given their lack of success at the polls I'd imagine nothing excites a racist more than a platform for his views. Football it seems is still an area where he gets away with it.

You don't get checked for a brain when you pay your money at the gate - do you?

hibsbollah
29-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Ive noticed it more and more recently:bitchy:

If I hear it on Wednesday im going straight to a steward and taking the ringpiece's seat number. If it offends you, time to take a stand and stop suffering in silence.

johnrebus
29-03-2010, 07:54 AM
There is more of them than you think.

I can remember Latapy being referred to as a ' black **** ' by our own support, but worst of all was a friendly with Blackburn a few year ago, with a Rovers full back getting the full ' ****** ,' treatment. There was a policeman standing around four feet away, laughing at his comments.

Some people are beyond help.

:grr:

Frazerbob
29-03-2010, 07:58 AM
At Tynie I had a wee scroat standing in the seat next to me (it wasn't his seat incidently) who was spoating racist bile toward Kingston and Obua. When I asked him if Bamba and Thicot were also "****ing darkies" his reply was "aye they ****ing are". I told the guy he was a prick and an embarassment to our club which was met with several invitations to "do something about it". After a few more verbal exchanges the guy decided to go and find his actual seat.

Why can't folk focus on the fact that Kingston is a horrible little man who cheats his way through every game and Obua his just down right dreadfull? Why do they have to abuse somebody because of their skin colour? I just don't get it!

I said soemthing to the idiot and it could easily have ended up with both of us being chucked out or worse had the exchange got any more heated. It was very close to coming to blows. That could have ended up with me being in bother with the police, not something I can afford with my job.

So, I would think twice before confronting these tubes but if I'm being honest I doubt I will be able to hold my tongue in future.

s.a.m
29-03-2010, 08:10 AM

GG

I'm with you too.

RIP
29-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Not the first time

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/09/17/SOCCER_Falkirk_Substitute.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

I've heard BNP Hibbies sing 'Edinburgh is Wonderful'

Seen Hibbies giving Nazi salutes

Heard countless people shout 'Black B' and 'Coon'

None were regular faces but given their lack of success at the polls I'd imagine nothing excites a racist more than a platform for his views. Football it seems is still an area where he gets away with it.

You don't get checked for a brain when you pay your money at the gate - do you?

I'd even go as so far as to suggest that the ability to shout racist bile may be one or the principle reasons why the racist attends the match. Asking him to stop the abuse is like challenging his right to be racist.

--------
29-03-2010, 09:14 AM

I can remember Latapy being referred to as a ' black **** ' by our own support, but worst of all was a friendly with Blackburn a few year ago, with a Rovers full back getting the full ' ****** ,' treatment. There was a policeman standing around four feet away, laughing at his comments.

Which is one reason people hesitate to say anything to the police or stewards, in my experience.

And if you confront the moron yourself, you can end up being threatened with ejection from the ground or even arrest, because by saying something you've made yourself 'part of the problem'.

And that's assuming the moron hasn't half-a-dozen equally racist pals with him, only too ready for a barny....

PeeJay
29-03-2010, 09:37 AM

I no longer live in the UK, but let's face it, the British Police Force has never enjoyed a reputation for being non-racist has it - so hearing of a policeman laughing along with racist remarks doesn't surprise me in the slightest!

Baldy Foghorn
29-03-2010, 09:43 AM
At Tynie I had a wee scroat standing in the seat next to me (it wasn't his seat incidently) who was spoating racist bile toward Kingston and Obua. When I asked him if Bamba and Thicot were also "****ing darkies" his reply was "aye they ****ing are". I told the guy he was a prick and an embarassment to our club which was met with several invitations to "do something about it". After a few more verbal exchanges the guy decided to go and find his actual seat.

Why can't folk focus on the fact that Kingston is a horrible little man who cheats his way through every game and Obua his just down right dreadfull? Why do they have to abuse somebody because of their skin colour? I just don't get it!

I said soemthing to the idiot and it could easily have ended up with both of us being chucked out or worse had the exchange got any more heated. It was very close to coming to blows. That could have ended up with me being in bother with the police, not something I can afford with my job.

So, I would think twice before confronting these tubes but if I'm being honest I doubt I will be able to hold my tongue in future.

Great post FB, although it is such a shame nowadays that if you complain about some racist remarks, you could also find yourself in bother...... Just for defending the right not to hear such vile shouted at players

Antifa Hibs
29-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Only way its going to stop is to confront them though surely?

The eejits that shout this nonsense tae would be the first ones grabbing big Sols hand should he offered them it, or grabbing his strip if it was thrown into the crowd.

And sadly its not just us that attract these pr1cks, but every club has them. I mind walking back to Waverley after a Hibs-Celtic game and a group of neddy wee tims were singing 'I'd rather be a paki than a hun' walking along London Road, and thats from a club who are meant to be some far left anti-fascist club.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 10:16 AM
It seems that it is alive and kicking! I was at the game at Falkirk,and a group of 4 men with a wee laddie along with them,and a thick EAST lOTHIAN accent were making totally unbeleivable remarks about black players on the park, and the first outburst was from the guy who had his 7/8 year old son with him! totally disgusting to hear him say.........Get Intae That Jungle Bunny,and that was referring to the Falkirk striker, Who at that moment was being challenged for a ball by none other than Sol Bamba!!!!! the Hero was sitting right behind me,and wore glasses. IF i'd been 10 years younger i'd have sent him tae the moon,ignorant bastuard!!!!!!!! why are we plagued wi' tits like this? a mate of his said,yer not allowed tae say that ,nudge nudge,which is f/kin more disgusting,and the wee laddie says,which one is the Jungle Bunny Da? DONT EVEN SAY YOU SHOULD HAVE PULLED HIM UP. i' d be in jail now,:grr:****' so any of you chaps from East Lothian,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,name and shame!!!!

The minute I saw the title of this thread, I thought "outlying areas". I'm not saying there aren't racists in the city, but it's a lot worse in small towns where there isn't an immigrant population.

I come from East Lothian, and it can be quite embarassing meeting family or friends from there. It's considered a "wee bit cheeky" to use the N word, or "darkie", and if they are in the presence of someone who is down on racism, they'll do it more often.

The same thing happens in Fife. The amount of anti Polish sentiment I've come across when working there is really funny. It's funny because I have yet to come across a Pole or see evidence of a Polish community anywhere (other than the Polish club in Kirkcaldy that's been there since after the war).

For me these two observations confirm to me that racism is a product of ignorance. I think it is pitiful that these morons are doing it in front of kids, they'll grow up to act like the same slack jawed yokels their fathers are.

Like other posters, I am not saying that East Lothian is a hot bed of racism. I think it's like most areas where they don't see many black people - some of the schemes in Edinburgh are like that too.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Don't take the bait, he is a charmless boor that gets off on insulting people. It's the real deal, he really is like that.

I've found that the "ignore" button is a boon, when he and his gang of chums are involved.

I think he's over compensating for something. I haven't come across any other poster that resorts to personal insults, and implied threats as much as this guy.

Hainan Hibs
29-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Don't take the bait, he is a charmless boor that gets off on insulting people. It's the real deal, he really is like that.

I've found that the "ignore" button is a boon, when he and his gang of chums are involved.

I think he's over compensating for something. I haven't come across any other poster that resorts to personal insults, and implied threats as much as this guy.

I've almost got my knob out over how glad I am someone posted this about Big Franck:thumbsup:

PeeJay
29-03-2010, 10:34 AM
The minute I saw the title of this thread, I thought "outlying areas". I'm not saying there aren't racists in the city, but it's a lot worse in small towns where there isn't an immigrant population.

I come from East Lothian, and it can be quite embarassing meeting family or friends from there. It's considered a "wee bit cheeky" to use the N word, or "darkie", and if they are in the presence of someone who is down on racism, they'll do it more often.

The same thing happens in Fife. The amount of anti Polish sentiment I've come across when working there is really funny. It's funny because I have yet to come across a Pole or see evidence of a Polish community anywhere (other than the Polish club in Kirkcaldy that's been there since after the war).

For me these two observations confirm to me that racism is a product of ignorance. I think it is pitiful that these morons are doing it in front of kids, they'll grow up to act like the same slack jawed yokels their fathers are.

Like other posters, I am not saying that East Lothian is a hot bed of racism. I think it's like most areas where they don't see many black people - some of the schemes in Edinburgh are like that too.

You raise an interesting aspect to this issue - here in Germany the most persistent instances or concentration of racism can be found in the former states that comprised East Germany, which - you guessed it - hardly has any foreigners in it! Strange - I don't think it's purely an ignorance thing, although I think they're ignorant, it seems to me to be a mixture of a herd instinct and 'let's pick on the weakest group that will draw the most attention/publicity' - wonder if it's similar elsewhere?

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I've almost got my knob out over how glad I am someone posted this about Big Franck:thumbsup:

He told me once he has a size eleven, I'm not sure I picked him up right though.

Rory89
29-03-2010, 10:55 AM
It's weird because I only really remember hearing a Hibs fan shout racist abuse twice in the last 5 or 6 years I've been going, and both times it was at Falkirk away.

I've heard pish like The Edinburgh song on public transport on the way to games and on the way back, but in terms of someone actually shouting racist comments at players in the ground, both times at TFS. Jambo's could make an argument for the Nade/Eddie Murphy, Larry Kingston chants, but they aren't really racist. Extremely rubbish humour, check, insulting, probably, but not really racist imo.

--------
29-03-2010, 11:06 AM
It's weird because I only really remember hearing a Hibs fan shout racist abuse twice in the last 5 or 6 years I've been going, and both times it was at Falkirk away.

I've heard pish like The Edinburgh song on public transport on the way to games and on the way back, but in terms of someone actually shouting racist comments at players in the ground, both times at TFS. Jambo's could make an argument for the Nade/Eddie Murphy, Larry Kingston chants, but they aren't really racist. Extremely rubbish humour, check, insulting, probably, but not really racist imo.

I've heard it at ER, against Kevin Harper, Russell Latapy, Tony Rougier, HKT, Benji, Zouma, Maka, and Sol Bamba of our own players, and against a number of visiting players.

The one time I said something, an argument started to develop and my son told me to cool down - "What are you going to tell the polis you do for a living when they arrest you?" He was right. And tbf, a steward (an older man in his 50's, I'd guess) told the guy to shut it, and tbf he did. But he too had a gaggle fo kids with him.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I've heard it at ER, against Kevin Harper, Russell Latapy, Tony Rougier, HKT, Benji, Zouma, Maka, and Sol Bamba of our own players, and against a number of visiting players.

The one time I said something, an argument started to develop and my son told me to cool down - "What are you going to tell the polis you do for a living when they arrest you?" He was right. And tbf, a steward (an older man in his 50's, I'd guess) told the guy to shut it, and tbf he did. But he too had a gaggle fo kids with him.

You should have done it anyway Doddie. Don Camillo never let his job get in the way of boxing a few renegades ears. :greengrin

http://www.bestcyrano.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/don-camillo21.jpg

SlickShoes
29-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Its a tricky situation,

A few years ago i went to see one of my favourite musicians, Mike Park at the barrowlands, he is an american born guy with Korean parents. A lot of his songs and work are about anti racism.

Anyway me and my mate are watching the gig, and loving it, so are another two guys infront of us it seemed, then they start shouting "Gawn yersell ya wee chinky" started calling him a "whinging Jap *******"

At this point we tap them on the shoulder and point out that hes american, and they said "hes still a chinky tho" we again point out if they want to get technical about it he is more Korean. They said its all the same and then we got the inevitable "well if you dont like it do something about it then" Im no fighter and neither is my mate but i had to hold him back. We went and told security and they said "OK" and that was the end of it.

It ended up in us giving them abuse for being racist pricks and almost ended in a fight, totally ruined the gig and i was raging especially at the fact security and no one else standing in the area even seemed to care. sad.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Its a tricky situation,

A few years ago i went to see one of my favourite musicians, Mike Park at the barrowlands, he is an american born guy with Korean parents. A lot of his songs and work are about anti racism.

Anyway me and my mate are watching the gig, and loving it, so are another two guys infront of us it seemed, then they start shouting "Gawn yersell ya wee chinky" started calling him a "whinging Jap *******"

At this point we tap them on the shoulder and point out that hes american, and they said "hes still a chinky tho" we again point out if they want to get technical about it he is more Korean. They said its all the same and then we got the inevitable "well if you dont like it do something about it then" Im no fighter and neither is my mate but i had to hold him back. We went and told security and they said "OK" and that was the end of it.

It ended up in us giving them abuse for being racist pricks and almost ended in a fight, totally ruined the gig and i was raging especially at the fact security and no one else standing in the area even seemed to care. sad.

Aye, but was he a Catholic Chinky or a Protestant Chinky? There's always another aspect to law and order in the Weege.

Antifa Hibs
29-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Its a tricky situation,

These are the worst types. They believe they aren't being racist (and TBH, deep down they probably) they just don't know the rights and wrongs of calling people "chinkys", "paki's" & "darkies". We've a similar daftie at work, he'll use the 3 words listed above (he's a prick who's constantly getting telt to shut the **** up...), yet he came in one morning with the cheesiest grin on his face after getting his picture taken with Ian Wright down at Highbury, he was delighted, printed it off showing the whole work, yet he's been known to go on about "darkies this and that..." Work than one out :confused:

Judas Iscariot
29-03-2010, 11:19 AM

What a weirdo

johnrebus
29-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Aye, but was he a Catholic Chinky or a Protestant Chinky? There's always another aspect to law and order in the Weege.

Often told story of the Huns on a jaunt abroad........,

Basil Boli is pulled out an airport checkout queue for a body search and starts on a rant about racist staff etc etc.

Ian Durrant taps him on the shoulder, " naw big man, its coz yer a catholic. "

Mmmmmmm, they luv this stuff in the West of course...........,

:bitchy:

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 11:28 AM
These are the worst types. They believe they aren't being racist (and TBH, deep down they probably) they just don't know the rights and wrongs of calling people "chinkys", "paki's" & "darkies". We've a similar daftie at work, he'll use the 3 words listed above (he's a prick who's constantly getting telt to shut the **** up...), yet he came in one morning with the cheesiest grin on his face after getting his picture taken with Ian Wright down at Highbury, he was delighted, printed it off showing the whole work, yet he's been known to go on about "darkies this and that..." Work than one out :confused:

You worked it out yourself. Some people use these terms as they would lanky, skinny, ginger, big, wee, etc. - being purely descriptive as opposed to malicious.

I predict 5 pages.

--------
29-03-2010, 11:30 AM
You should have done it anyway Doddie. Don Camillo never let his job get in the way of boxing a few renegades ears. :greengrin

http://www.bestcyrano.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/don-camillo21.jpg

The "laying on of hands" has a long and respectable history in the Church, I suppose.

"But, Your Honour, I only laid hands on him for a blessing and he was just overcome. That's why he fell down unconscious...." :rolleyes:

(I like Don Camillo. :devil: )

johnrebus
29-03-2010, 11:34 AM
(I like Don Camillo. :devil: )

Yeah, but he seemed to dissapear without trace after missing that penalty against Spain..........,

:wink:

degenerated
29-03-2010, 11:40 AM
The Edinburgh song was very audible in the East Stand at the St Johnstone game a few weeks back.

scoopyboy
29-03-2010, 11:42 AM

I've lived in East Lothian for over 50 years and am a little puzzled by your thick East Lothian accent conclusion.

I don't particularly think an "East Lothian accent" is all that different to a Midlothian or East Edinbugh / Leith accent.

Similarly within East Lothian I would argue that a Tranent /Prestonpans accent is quite different to a Dunbar / North Berwick accent.

So I would be very interested to know how you reckon it is East Lothian and if you are well up on East Lothian accents if you could be more specific in terms of location.

What you heard was wrong and i'm not condoning it but unless you know more than you are letting on I think you are wrong accusing East Lothian Hibs fans.

chorley_fm
29-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Unless people make a stand against racists nothing will be done about it. Posting on a message boards doesn't fix the problem. I've spoken up to racists and bigots before, it takes a bit of balls but if you believe in something or something has wound you up so much its the only way.

If the same person(s) are spouting the same abuse week in and week out from the same seat then the club should be told about it. I'm pretty sure that this info can be given anonymously and I'm pretty sure the club would welcome it.

To sin by silence, when we should protest, makes cowards out of men
Ella Wheeler Wilcox 1850-1919

BroxburnHibee - The guy posted his experience at a HIBS football match on here and gets pelters for it.

These threads come up on a regular basis on the boards, not only on here but on football boards in general, yet nothing gets done about it. Unless these morons are confronted, embarrassed, reported, named and shamed at the time they will continue. Maybe since he's been given 'pelters' he may act differently the next time and won't need to post about it the days after the match.

Antifa Hibs - Only way its going to stop is to confront them though surely?

The eejits that shout this nonsense tae would be the first ones grabbing big Sols hand should he offered them it, or grabbing his strip if it was thrown into the crowd.

Filled Rolls -

Weak - disagreeing with someone, making a fair and valid point doesn't equal personal insults, implied threats

Hainan Hibs - I've almost got my knob out over how glad I am someone posted this about Big Franck

Thanks for your input, please continue posting

RIP
29-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I've just had a squint at the club's equity policy. Whilst it asks us to report such behaviour to Police or Stewards I don't think it goes far enough

We should be able to do so in confidence, without fear of repercussions.

I'm not sure what the answer is but something along the lines of

Guidelines - How to report unacceptable behaviour
Note the offenders seat number
Leave your seat and locate a steward away from the offender. This will most likely be behind and away from their line of sight
Tell the steward that you wish to report unacceptable behaviour
The steward should then locate a police officer
Police officer should then complete a report form
You should receive a copy of the form
The police officer will then issue a warning to the offender
In the event of a second offence, please approach the same steward who will locate the same police officer

Hainan Hibs
29-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your input, please continue posting

Hold on, I'll just get out the Coldplay CD's, run a hot bath and let that comment take full effect:agree:

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:10 PM
No i dont feel left out at all.I think you were wrong when you asked two different posters if they had been drinking.That infered that their posts were silly.It is pretty patronising to infer this,as you yourself were posting at the same time, and you arent bevvied.(neither am i ). This after saying that they were part of the problem.That is garbage.just because he did,nt challenge them.The final part of your last post to me is also patronising,but not surprising.What are you all about?

If you read the thread, what you'll find is that one of the posters stated he'd had a few beers (1two). He has posted this lEXO, so I didn't infer that with him.

Regarding asking Monktonharp, again if you had bothered to read the post you will see that I have explained that this was my (poor) attempt at humour. You see Monktonharp replied to a post of mine. Then thread progressed, then Monktonharp replied again (differently) to the same post. (this time with a few angry man smileys).

Cheers

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Weak - disagreeing with someone, making a fair and valid point doesn't equal personal insults, implied threats

Yeah, but stating that your "size 11" might be used to sort out an argument, might be construed as an implied threat.

I'm sure anyone that is interested could find plenty personal and threatening remarks in Frank's posts. In the process they would bore the rest of the board to tears.

I could point you to plenty stupid stuff he has written on things like the Bolton disaster, the proportion of Hibs fans who are Catholic, and whether certain posters are Yams. But who really cares, other than the people who his witless proclamations are aimed at.

Those who don't like what he writes have the choice of ignoring him. Unfortunately he manages to mix it in threads and his uttering appear as quotations in other people's posts.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Your post - number 62 is a very well thought out post, and a credit to you FR.

Your post above, however leaves a lot to be desired. You really need to chill out with me FR. Remember, that only one of us is guilty of sending abusive emails. All this is, is a dig at me. Pure and simple. You choose to ignore me - however you will, like a rat up a drainpipe, post about me.:confused:

Please, could you let the entire board know who, and I quote "my gang of chums" are:confused: Name and shame FR.

Please, again for everyones benefit, could you tell where my personal insults are:confused: It appears that you seem to be the one dishing out the insults/abuse. Is there any need for it?

Your little campaign is nothing short of nonsense.

PaulSmith
29-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I've just had a squint at the club's equity policy. Whilst it asks us to report such behaviour to Police or Stewards I don't think it goes far enough

We should be able to do so in confidence, without fear of repercussions.

I'm not sure what the answer is but something along the lines of

Guidelines - How to report unacceptable behaviour
Note the offenders seat number
Leave your seat and locate a steward away from the offender. This will most likely be behind and away from their line of sight
Tell the steward that you wish to report unacceptable behaviour
The steward should then locate a police officer
Police officer should then complete a report form
You should receive a copy of the form
The police officer will then issue a warning to the offender
In the event of a second offence, please approach the same steward who will locate the same police officer

The police cannot just issue a warning if a case of racial hatred, or racially agrivated breach of the peace, has been reported to them. They are bound to arrest the person on suspician of RABofP and then gather evidence to pass to the PF. Even then the PF, unless in extreme circumstances, will ensure that it's heard before a Judge in a court of law no matter how little evidence there may actually be.

In addition if the breach of the peace element can be proved then the racial element can be proved on the evidence of one person hearing it.

All IMO of course.

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but stating that your "size 11" might be used to sort out an argument, might be construed as an implied threat.

You are implying that, just out of the blue, I came out with this. Pathetic.

I'm sure anyone that is interested could find plenty personal and threatening remarks in Frank's posts. In the process they would bore the rest of the board to tears.

FR, please. This isn't your little board, back it up or wheesht. You ignore my posts, so how do you know I throw insults around like confetti:confused:

I could point you to plenty stupid stuff he has written on things like the Bolton disaster, the proportion of Hibs fans who are Catholic, and whether certain posters are Yams. But who really cares, other than the people who his witless proclamations are aimed at.

Nope FR. What you'll find is that I put over points about standing at the football. It apparently differs from yours. Its stupid in your opinion that I advocate a safe standing area for those who wish to. Don't turn it round by makeing out I belittled Bolton, or any other horror suffered at a football match.

Regarding your point on my stupid comments on the proportion of Hibs fans who are Catholic. Would you mind posting your scientific study of your opinion on the proportion again :faf:

Your third point about certain posters being yams. Yip, its true. I do think you are a yam. I'm not the only one. To be fair, I couldn't care a jot what you are.

Those who don't like what he writes have the choice of ignoring him. Unfortunately he manages to mix it in threads and his uttering appear as quotations in other people's posts.

Thats fine FR. It still doesn't give you the write to post about me with another poster. Its rude. If you and A.N Other have problems with a thitd party, rather that posturing on a football board, perhaps you could have a PM conversation with A.N Other instead of boring the tits of everyone else.

Chill out

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Please, if you are going to get your "knob out" over me, could you do me the courtesy of getting my name right. Many thanks.

Now that this is out the way, could you please explain your post. Can't see much input on the thread from you, bar a bit of the playground.

I sure you could still have got your "knob out" over me via PM with the poster known as "Filled Rolls".

Cheers

chorley_fm
29-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Aaaah, I get it now, he intimidates you (on an internet forum :faf:) he thinks your a Yam (a feeling that quite a few on here think btw) and you dinnae like it.

http://drunkenachura.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/internet-serious-business.jpg

johnrebus
29-03-2010, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=chorley_fm;2408357]Aaaah, I get it now, he intimidates you (on an internet forum :faf:) he thinks your a Yam (a feeling that quite a few on here think btw) and you dinnae like it.

/QUOTE]

So, Filled Rolls is a Yam, eh?

Don't quite see it myself, but I'm willing to be proved wrong..........,

What is the evidence for the prosecution?

:halowitch:

The Green Goblin
29-03-2010, 03:11 PM
:hijack::hijack:

This is a thread about racism within the Hibs support. Can those who seem determined to deflect it in other directions stop it?

GG

lEXO
29-03-2010, 03:47 PM
If you read the thread, what you'll find is that one of the posters stated he'd had a few beers (1two). He has posted this lEXO, so I didn't infer that with him.

Regarding asking Monktonharp, again if you had bothered to read the post you will see that I have explained that this was my (poor) attempt at humour. You see Monktonharp replied to a post of mine. Then thread progressed, then Monktonharp replied again (differently) to the same post. (this time with a few angry man smileys).

Cheers
I n fact you asked first if they had a bevvy,but thats not the case really is it.You are right that it was a poor attempt at humour.You blamed this guy for not doing anything about it,and posting on here later his experience.He was angry and frustrated about it, and did,nt need to be told he was part of the problem or patronised.I hope this thread if anything encourages people to take a stand against any racist behaviour in any way they can.And hopefully people will be able to post their views without being labelled "part of the problem" as you so wisely put it.
Cheers

woody47
29-03-2010, 03:49 PM
alright for you to say that now big man,you dont not how enraged I was at the time and the fact that the ersehole had a bairn wi' him stopped me fae lampin' the c'nut stopped me,also with my mates calming me doon! so dont try and lecture me , I **** feel bad enough about the fact that I didnae gub the **** at the time !:grr:

And being violent is better? :bitchy:
Sorry but racism is always lowest of low but to get on your high horse and start talking about smacking someone IMO is no better.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Aaaah, I get it now, he intimidates you (on an internet forum :faf:) he thinks your a Yam (a feeling that quite a few on here think btw) and you dinnae like it.

[/IMG]

***** off you *rselicker.

Ha ha only joking mate. Lots of people on here think you are homosexual, but who would take that seriously either.

Really just a wee bit of banter. Just a wee joke between pals, eh?

ALF TUPPER
29-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Shockin that this behaviour still goes on.

Maybes a wee mention (on the quiet) to the Police to listen out for racist chanting? They'll soon find him/them.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Shockin that this behaviour still goes on.

Maybes a wee mention (on the quiet) to the Police to listen out for racist chanting? They'll soon find him/them.

Most of them are cowards and back down the minute you confront them. I suppose it is that wee bit more difficult when they have kids in tow.

BroxburnHibee
29-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Guys if someone wants to come on here and post about his experience at a Hibs game I don't see what the problem is.

Personally as much as I hate racist abuse I wouldn't confront these people at the games either (more hassle than its worth) - does that mean it shouldn't be discussed?

I don't see why this needed to degenerate into some of the mud slinging thats going on either - give it a rest eh.

HibbyAndy
29-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Glad am no racist, Av got a coloured telly :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Glad am no rascist, Av got a coloured telly :agree:

I don't get it? :confused:

hibee_nation
29-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't get it? :confused:

I think it means he has only got a B&W license. :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I've lived in East Lothian for over 50 years and am a little puzzled by your thick East Lothian accent conclusion.

I don't particularly think an "East Lothian accent" is all that different to a Midlothian or East Edinbugh / Leith accent.

Similarly within East Lothian I would argue that a Tranent /Prestonpans accent is quite different to a Dunbar / North Berwick accent.

So I would be very interested to know how you reckon it is East Lothian and if you are well up on East Lothian accents if you could be more specific in terms of location.

What you heard was wrong and i'm not condoning it but unless you know more than you are letting on I think you are wrong accusing East Lothian Hibs fans.

I think East Lothian people tend to say "hot" when they mean "hat" and "bock" when they mean "back". They use the word "oo" to mean "we", or "us". They tend to use the words "ye ken" quite a lot as well.

It's closer to the Borders accent than it is to Edinburgh, although it is also like the accent in the East of Fife. It can certainly be distinguished from an Edinburgh or Leith accent.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I think it means he has only got a B&W license. :confused:

:hmmm: :idea:.....:hmmm:.....nope I just don't get it. Does it come in English?

hibee_nation
29-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I think East Lothian people tend to say "hot" when they mean "hat" and "bock" when they mean "back". They use the word "oo" to mean "we", or "us". They tend to use the words "ye ken" quite a lot as well.

It's closer to the Borders accent than it is to Edinburgh, although it is also like the accent in the East of Fife. It can certainly be distinguished from an Edinburgh or Leith accent.

Ah thanks for that i wondered what that dude meant when he said they were a bunch of russian hot kickers down georgie way. :greengrin

heidtheba
29-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Some years ago at a game v Rangers I heard a Hibs supporter urging one of our players to run past Basile Boli with the words "Skin the ******". The Hibs player he was cheering on was Kevin Harper. Sadly, we have our share of lowlife morons in the support.

I remember that one too! In my case the words i heard were 'get intae that black &*S^&%d - I assumed this was a poor attempt at irony and racism.

No place for it

Beefster
29-03-2010, 05:55 PM
***** off you *rselicker.

Ha ha only joking mate. Lots of people on here think you are homosexual, but who would take that seriously either.

Really just a wee bit of banter. Just a wee joke between pals, eh?

Even if he was, what's wrong with being homosexual?

So, in summary, oo're aw racists whae cannae speak proper likes. I'll eat ma hot if ah'm wrang but ah hink you're stereotyping aw o' oos based on yer ain pals and faimly, ye ken.

Gettin' Auld
29-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Glad am no rascist, Av got a coloured telly :agree:

HibbyAndy
29-03-2010, 06:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Even if he was, what's wrong with being homosexual?

So, in summary, oo're aw racists whae cannae speak proper likes. I'll eat ma hot if ah'm wrang but ah hink you're stereotyping aw o' oos based on yer ain pals and faimly, ye ken.

I didn't say everyone in East Lothian is racist, I said a lot of racists come from areas where there is no noticible immigrant population.

Another poster asked what an East Lothian accent was like, and I gave my account. Others are free to contradict it, I can only comment on my own experiences.

Nothing wrong with being homosexual, who said there was?

hibee_nation
29-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I didn't say everyone in East Lothian is racist, I said a lot of racists come from areas where there is no noticible immigrant population.

Another poster asked what an East Lothian accent was like, and I gave my account. Others are free to contradict it, I can only comment on my own experiences.

Nothing wrong with being homosexual, who said there was?

I think that boy from the Pans offering to rub your bock in the hat tub has clouded your judgment. :greengrin

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 06:14 PM
And being violent is better? :bitchy:
Sorry but racism is always lowest of low but to get on your high horse and start talking about smacking someone IMO is no better.

AT LAST!!! Thank you:top marks

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 06:24 PM
]I n fact you asked first if they had a bevvy,but thats not the case really is it[/SIZE].You are right that it was a poor attempt at humour.You blamed this guy for not doing anything about it,and posting on here later his experience.He was angry and frustrated about it, and did,nt need to be told he was part of the problem or patronised.I hope this thread if anything encourages people to take a stand against any racist behaviour in any way they can.And hopefully people will be able to post their views without being labelled "part of the problem" as you so wisely put it.
Cheers

Ok, my explanation obviously didn't work.

How about POST 13, last sentence.

This IEXO is the first time bevvy is mentioned in the thread. So "infact" its not fact really, is it?

I didn't blame the guy for anything IEXO, as I've stated in the thread the guy behind the OP was a rascist bawbag, who has no place with the Hibernian family. I also asked the OP if he saw any Irony at all in the fact that it took all his composure, and his friends, and the rascists' bairn being there for the OP not to go and chin him!!!!!

I also presented a fairly valid, non violent way of getting said bawbag removed i.e report him appropriately.

My stance on him being part of the problem, isn't a personal dig at him, and in the wee small hours I'll try and type more to explain myself better.

Hope this explains things a bit better.

Cheers

ArabHibee
29-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Big Frank

May I point out that if Mr Rolls has you on 'ignore' then he won't have seen your posts? Unless someone quotes them?

Just a thought. :cool2:

Big Frank
29-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Big Frank

May I point out that if Mr Rolls has you on 'ignore' then he won't have seen your posts? Unless someone quotes them?

Just a thought. :cool2:

Oh, I've thought about that, but it may be a case of "selective ignore".

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I think that boy from the Pans offering to rub your bock in the hat tub has clouded your judgment. :greengrin

It's the Pons.

We'll cover this in lesson two. As well as banter for the terminally incompetent.:whistle:

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 07:39 PM
:hijack::hijack:

This is a thread about racism within the Hibs support. Can those who seem determined to deflect it in other directions stop it?

GG

Getting back on track. There are times when it is difficult, and possibly even dangerous standing up to a racist. Throw in the prescence of children, and it becomes really messy.

If you were to read some inter personal relations text book, I'm sure it would advise keeping calm, smiling, and listening to the guy while putting over your point, in a non confrontational manner.

In reality that is sometimes not possible. As for approaching the police, I'm sure they don't want to get involved in this sort of thing, as getting a conviction would probably be too hard.

hibsbollah
29-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Getting back on track. There are times when it is difficult, and possibly even dangerous standing up to a racist. Throw in the prescence of children, and it becomes really messy.

If you were to read some inter personal relations text book, I'm sure it would advise keeping calm, smiling, and listening to the guy while putting over your point, in a non confrontational manner.

In reality that is sometimes not possible. As for approaching the police, I'm sure they don't want to get involved in this sort of thing, as getting a conviction would probably be too hard.

The best route is probably to involve the club by reporting the individual's seat number.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2010, 07:47 PM
The best route is probably to involve the club by reporting the individual's seat number.

:agree:

I also think talking about it on here can raise awareness of the incident. No names have been mentioned, but I'd be surprised if word hasn't got back to the individual that he is being spoken about.

On top of that, it also gives others, who may be of a like mind, the chance to see that not everyone agrees with their behaviour. It also gives people a chance to defend it, if they can.

I don't think its something trivial that should just be ignored.

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 08:44 PM

What you heard was wrong and i'm not condoning it but unless you know more than you are letting on I think you are wrong accusing East Lothian Hibs fans. and I've lived in East Edin. for more than 50 years,worked with East Lothian men for over 20 years in the pit,and know an East Lothian accent,especially eh31,32 etc oo urnae gaw faw oot aboot it,are oo? sharely?:wink:

scoopyboy
29-03-2010, 08:55 PM
and I've lived in East Edin. for more than 50 years,worked with East Lothian men for over 20 years in the pit,and know an East Lothian accent,especially eh31,32 etc oo urnae gaw faw oot aboot it,are oo? sharely?:wink:

Well, when staying in Macmerry and Tranent my postcode was EH33 and the fact you worked beside EL boys in the pit implies they must be the west end of the county.

Have followed Hibs since I was an 8 year old in Macmerry and probably know most Hibs fans from around our area that travel to away games, however I have no idea who they are.

I run the East Lothian Hibs bus with Brooster and they certainly aren't members of our bus.

greenlex
29-03-2010, 08:58 PM
and I've lived in East Edin. for more than 50 years,worked with East Lothian men for over 20 years in the pit,and know an East Lothian accent,especially eh31,32 etc oo urnae gaw faw oot aboot it,are oo? sharely?:wink:
Miners from all over worked down Monktonhall pit.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2010, 09:05 PM
TBH it's easy to take the moral high ground and have a go or not confronting the racist but it's easier said than done.

I was at a game a couple of years back and a guy behind me kept making monkey noises when Colin Samuel of Dundee Utd got the ball, i ignored this at first until he they brought Jason Scotland on as a sub to replace Samuel, at this point the moron behind me commented along the lines of 'one ****** replacing another, should put them back on the bananna boats'. I told him he was out of order and was backed up by exactly 0 people. Deciding to take it further i went to the nearest steward and calmly told him what was said, he did nothing. I then went to the police hoping they would take it more seriously, again i calmly explained what had happened. The policeman told me to take get back in my seat as it was my word against the racists. By this point the idiot and his mates had realised i had spoken to the police so for the rest of the game i was constantly abused as being a 'grass' and the racism not only continued but got worse, still all those around me sat and said nothing.

Easy to advise people to challenge idiots like this and have a go at them for bringing it up on forums but the fact is the Police and stewards aren't overly keen to get involved and there is little guarantee that other fans will back you up. Sometimes it appears to be more bother than it's worth.

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Miners from all over worked down Monktonhall pit.of that there is no doubt

Billy McKirdy
29-03-2010, 09:22 PM
At the derby last week, some wee twat along from me kept commenting on the 2 black players in our side, Bamba & Thicot, and Thicot in particular was copping it tight from this young radge every time he was on the ball, it was b***K b*****d this and b***K b*****d that, every time he was on the ball. I never said anything...but....I did get the opportunity to eyeball the fanny immediately after a particular nasty outburst...I didnt need to say anything, I think my look said it all. He never opened his mouth after that....simples! :greengrin

greenlex
29-03-2010, 09:24 PM
At the derby last week, some wee twat along from me kept commenting on the 2 black players in our side, Bamba & Thicot, and Thicot in particular was copping it tight from this young radge every time he was on the ball, it was b***K b*****d this and b***K b*****d that, every time he was on the ball. I never said anything...but....I did get the opportunity to eyeball the fanny immediately after a particular nasty outburst...I didnt need to say anything, I think my look said it all. He never opened his mouth after that....simples! :greengrin
I take it you are not 7 stone soaking wet then? What if you are?

NOLA
29-03-2010, 09:25 PM
It's the Pons.

We'll cover this in lesson two. As well as banter for the terminally incompetent.:whistle:

:greengrin

Naw, it's Toap Pans or Boatem Pans:wink:, racism is found at every club in the world,it's not new or clever, but it will always be around unfortunatley, Hibs don't have a History of Racism among our support, but you will find some along the way no doubt, and i used to smuggle one of those inflateable bananas into ER back in the days of my misguided yoof, cos it was a laugh:rolleyes:

Billy McKirdy
29-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I take it you are not 7 stone soaking wet then? What if you are? :greengrin

Nah! Ive just got a particularly evil eye myself, seems to do the trick everytime. :wink: fwiw Im only 11st last count :faf:

RIP
30-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I have written to the club with a suggestion for published guidelines on

"How to safely report unacceptable behaviour"

Hopefully they will see that a procedure is much needed

Pulling people up and risking recriminations, ignoring people and getting upset, reporting on message boards in frustration are not the answer. Every fan should know EXACTLY what to do.

If we follow the correct procedure, the small amount of idiots in our support will get weeded out and we will all benefit from a better atmosphere where fans can concentrate on supporting the team on the park

Golden Bear
30-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Pulling people up and risking recriminations, ignoring people and getting upset, reporting on message boards in frustration are not the answer. Every fan should know EXACTLY what to do.

If we follow the correct procedure, the small amount of idiots in our support will get weeded out and we will all benefit from a better atmosphere where fans can concentrate on supporting the team on the park

No thanks!

I'd like to think that common sense will prevail. Fostering policies and procedures on how or how not to behave at a football match is the very last thing most punters will want.

Whatever next? - perhaps a supporters charter which we all sign up to at the turnstile prior to gaining admittance?

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Impossible! Every situation is different, you have to weigh up a lot of different factors before you decide on your action in any situation were there is likely to be conflict.

RIP
30-03-2010, 09:54 AM
No thanks!

I'd like to think that common sense will prevail. Fostering policies and procedures on how or how not to behave at a football match is the very last thing most punters will want.

Whatever next? - perhaps a supporters charter which we all sign up to at the turnstile prior to gaining admittance?

Impossible! Every situation is different, you have to weigh up a lot of different factors before you decide on your action in any situation were there is likely to be conflict.

Sorry lads but this is exactly the sort of niaivety that sees the rest of us regularly suffering in silence. Zero Tolerance of Unacceptable Behaviour means reporting it EVERY time - no excuses.

As for a charter the club already has one. What I'm saying is guidelines for those who choose to report unacceptable behaviour. If some folk want to turn a blind eye I don't have any problem with that.

What guidelines will do is allow us to throw out the worst of the trash i.e. Those who would use our football club as a platform for their Abusive Behaviour

basehibby
30-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Racism is not a feature of the Hibs support as a whole - but it certainly exists.

I suppose that, like most football supports, a cross-section of society is represented. Inevitably this means that we have a smattering of brain dead racist **** who will feel the need to spew their bile at games.

The best policy IMO is to try shaming them first - ie - just to make clear in no uncertain terms that their poison is in no way appreciated by fellow supporters and that they are a disgrace to the club they purport to support.

If this doesn't work (or if the drongo in question is too threatening to approach safely) I would definately say it's worth approaching the police - wouldn't bother fannying about with stewards as most of them just want a quiet life and this is actually a case of the law being broken.

If the cops ignore you it might be worth noting their numbers and reporting them. It would also be worthwhile noting the seat no of the racist **** in case they are ST holders in which case the club could take direct action.

ginger_eejit
30-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Naw, it's Toap Pans or Boatem Pans:wink:, racism is found at every club in the world,it's not new or clever, but it will always be around unfortunatley, Hibs don't have a History of Racism among our support, but you will find some along the way no doubt, and i used to smuggle one of those inflateable bananas into ER back in the days of my misguided yoof, cos it was a laugh:rolleyes:

Sorry bud, but I think this is a naive hopeful claim, than reality. Why should Hibs have any less of a racist support than any other club.

I remember coming to ER for one of Mark Walters first games for Rangers against Hibs at ER, SCARF were handing out leaflets calling on supporters to refrain from racist abuse, and I remember clearly the man, with his boy, climbing the steps in front of me crumpling the leaflet up and saying, "they cannae tell me whit tae say aboot that black b******d"

JimBHibees
30-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Can vaguely remember a friendly Hibs played in the 70s against Stoke and Garth Crooks was playing and he got dogs abuse. Also remember Paul Elliott getting it tight. Nowadays this sort of thing is much less likely to happen however it should be confronted where possible as IMO there is in certain instances a more sinister and organised element to it than there has been previously.

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Sorry lads but this is exactly the sort of niaivety that sees the rest of us regularly suffering in silence. Zero Tolerance of Unacceptable Behaviour means reporting it EVERY time - no excuses.

As for a charter the club already has one. What I'm saying is guidelines for those who choose to report unacceptable behaviour. If some folk want to turn a blind eye I don't have any problem with that.

What guidelines will do is allow us to throw out the worst of the trash i.e. Those who would use our football club as a platform for their Abusive Behaviour
My mistake :greengrin
Let me assure you that I am certainly not niaive in dealing with conflict.
Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were trying to say when you talked about set procedures. I agree that reporting unacceptable behaviour to the appropriate authorities is the right way to go every time. I was thinking you were talking about how to tackle the problem directly with the individual(s) concerned at the time which certainly could not be laid down in any set procedure.

--------
30-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Racism is not a feature of the Hibs support as a whole - but it certainly exists.

I suppose that, like most football supports, a cross-section of society is represented. Inevitably this means that we have a smattering of brain dead racist **** who will feel the need to spew their bile at games.

The best policy IMO is to try shaming them first - ie - just to make clear in no uncertain terms that their poison is in no way appreciated by fellow supporters and that they are a disgrace to the club they purport to support.

If this doesn't work (or if the drongo in question is too threatening to approach safely) I would definately say it's worth approaching the police - wouldn't bother fannying about with stewards as most of them just want a quiet life and this is actually a case of the law being broken.

If the cops ignore you it might be worth noting their numbers and reporting them. It would also be worthwhile noting the seat no of the racist **** in case they are ST holders in which case the club could take direct action.

Part of the problem is that if you confront them, you can have the situation foreverhibs found himself in - stuck in front of a group of potentially violent morons, with no support whatever from the people around him, or from the 'appropriate authorities'. And you still have to get out of the stadium at full-time and back to the car or the house without a further even more unpleasant confrontation with them.

As for the police and the stewards, a lot of the polis just want a quiet life with no hassle, and a lot of them share the racist attitudes of the morons we're complaining about.

And I've noticed a few police around ER on match days whose numbers aren't visible - covered by the high-visibility waistcoats they wear. Ask for an officer's number, and you're liable to be lifted - breach of the peace for a start, with a few more charges (threatening behaviour, resisting arrest, abusive language) once they get you back to the station and have a wee think about it.

RIP
31-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I wrote to the club suggesting printed guidelines for The Safe Reporting of Unnaceptable Behaviour. Here's their reply
-------------------------------------------

Gordon

We are due a review of our Customer Charter and Unacceptable Conduct Policy Documents in the next couple on months. We will take your comments into consideration when doing so.

In the meantime you can be assured that supporters do contact the Club with information including racial comments and other matters. The Club has a zero tolerance approach to this (little or no warnings are given)

Two Hibernian Supporters have recently been charged by Police with Breach of the Peace with a racial element and the Club will continue its efforts in this area to reduce Unnacceptable Conduct.

Regards
James S. Pryde QPM | Operations Advisor
The Hibernian Football Club Limited

Golden Bear
31-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I wrote to the club suggesting printed guidelines for The Safe Reporting of Unnaceptable Behaviour. Here's their reply
-------------------------------------------

Gordon

We are due a review of our Customer Charter and Unacceptable Conduct Policy Documents in the next couple on months. We will take your comments into consideration when doing so.

In the meantime you can be assured that supporters do contact the Club with information including racial comments and other matters. The Club has a zero tolerance approach to this (little or no warnings are given)

Two Hibernian Supporters have recently been charged by Police with Breach of the Peace with a racial element and the Club will continue its efforts in this area to reduce Unnacceptable Conduct.

Regards
James S. Pryde QPM | Operations Advisor
The Hibernian Football Club Limited

I agree with your sentiments but I suspect that very few supporters (if any)knew for instance that the Club already had a "Customer Charter" or an "Unacceptable Conduct policy Document".

It's ok to have policies and procedures but they are about as effective as a concrete parachute if they cannot be effectively operated in practice.

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2010, 06:15 PM

I've heard of a new area called the Posh Pans. :agree:

I always thought the inflatable banannas were just some random thing. I hadn't realised they were racist statements. Bang goes another illusion from my youth - they'll be saying Val Singleton was gay next!

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2010, 06:16 PM

ah deh ken, whit d you hink?:greengrin