PDA

View Full Version : Yogi sounding rattled or up for the fight??

Spike Mandela
28-03-2010, 07:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8591690.stm

madabouthibs
28-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I think he realises that we've already done better than last year, and is probably getting a bit pissed off that the team is still critisised, even after winning 3-1 away from home!
Right now, he probably thinks he can do no right, win or lose. :agree:

Cabbage1875
28-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds fairly rattled to me.

But on a second listen I think the interviewer was quite cutting in his line of questioning.

TornadoHibby
28-03-2010, 08:17 PM

But on a second listen I think the interviewer was quite cutting in his line of questioning.

I think that he isn't taking responsibility for the way the team has been playing for the last two or three months now (last month he said at the end of the interview :wink: ) at least outwardly and he must know, as anyone with an eye for the game does who is watching the team regularly, that we must defend better and we must control the midfield or, at least, stop the opposition from controlling it! :agree:

He's right when he says "we have goals in the team" but we need to impose ourselves on the opposition more so that when we go ahead we don't hang on for the three points by our fingernails like we seem to have done on Saturday! :cool2:

The League position largely reflects the results of the 2009 part of the season so far! Let's hope we can match that from now until the final game! :agree:

EasterRoad4Ever
28-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I think he realises that we've already done better than last year, and is probably getting a bit pissed off that the team is still critisised, even after winning 3-1 away from home!
Right now, he probably thinks he can do no right, win or lose. :agree:

:agree: Totally agree, and rightly so. This Hibs team and Hughes in particular have struggled for a lot of the season and in the Scottish Cup passed up the best chance any team could possibly hope for to progress to the semis and maybe even win it. In future years, we'll look back at the draw when we pull Aberdeen away, Celtic away etc and find ourselves dumped out of the cup at an early stage, and think what a breeze 2009/10 should have been.

If Hughes thinks a backs to wall, lucky win against the worst team in the SPL makes up for that, then he's thicker than he sounds. If Hughes is getting pissed off, and angry at people having a pop at him and the team, then all I can say is GOOD. IMHO even a Euro place may not be enough to repair the damage and disappointment of the last few months efforts.

Long suffering
28-03-2010, 08:42 PM
pretty rattled id suggest. a ''proffesional'' performance is one in which a team eases through the rest of the match with little frills but limits the opposition to half-chances. This was not the case v falkirk. To an extent i can sympathise with regards to the crttitism because for all that he appears tactically inept and the team struggle to perform weekly, we are still 4th, which is basically our aim.

flash
28-03-2010, 08:45 PM
:agree: Totally agree, and rightly so. This Hibs team and Hughes in particular have struggled for a lot of the season and in the Scottish Cup passed up the best chance any team could possibly hope for to progress to the semis and maybe even win it. In future years, we'll look back at the draw when we pull Aberdeen away, Celtic away etc and find ourselves dumped out of the cup at an early stage, and think what a breeze 2009/10 should have been.

If Hughes thinks a backs to wall, lucky win against the worst team in the SPL makes up for that, then he's thicker than he sounds. If Hughes is getting pissed off, and angry at people having a pop at him and the team, then all I can say is GOOD. IMHO even a Euro place may not be enough to repair the damage and disappointment of the last few months efforts.

So third place wouldn't be a decent season?

Just Jimmy
28-03-2010, 08:53 PM

decent yes, good, no. No after what could have been.

lets face it, Up until the draw against Celtic in the Semi's, that was the draw Hibs fans have been dreaming of for decades. We blew it big time.

EasterRoad4Ever
28-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Of course 3rd would be a decent season especially given our current form and the way that Well and Arabs are going. Its going to take a major swing in our form to achieve that. However, also have to recognise that the Dons, Yams, Celtic and most others have been really poor - perhaps as bad a bunch as we've seen on 20 years, and we could have done something special. Getting a Euro place in this league is nothing special.

TornadoHibby
28-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Yes it would be but if we do manage to achieve it, then Yogi and the team have a huge job to turn the performances around from those of the last two or three months back to those of the first two or three months of the season when most of the points were won which gives us the chance to go for third now! :agree:

I hope that they can do it! :agree:

down the slope
28-03-2010, 09:05 PM
A high league place would only paper over the cracks of the style of play for most of this season, we might outscore the opposition but what goes on in the rest of the game is unacceptable.

500miles
28-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Of course 3rd would be a decent season especially given our current form and the way that Well and Arabs are going. Its going to take a major swing in our form to achieve that. However, also have to recognise that the Dons, Yams, Celtic and most others have been really poor - perhaps as bad a bunch as we've seen on 20 years, and we could have done something special. Getting a Euro place in this league is nothing special.

Motherwell and Dundee Utd. have been quite good though, and they are our competitors for Europe. Say what you like about Gannon, I think he laid some fine foundations for Craig Brown to work with, and Dundee Utd have maintained significant consistancy in personelle since Levien took over, and even now Houston is in the hotseat.

We're not up against cannon fodder, any way you look at it.

Jim44
28-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think that performance could be described as anything approaching "ultra professional". To use inaccurate and meaningless terms like that only serves to negate and weaken a lot of the good points he makes.

down the slope
28-03-2010, 09:29 PM
an answer to the original question is he def sounded rattled, it seems there is gaps in the thinking as he mentioned sitting in the stand gives him a better view but he fought tooth and nail to sit on the touchline, the reporter hit a raw nerve with some of his questions and to come out with some of the guff after Falkirk outplayed us for the majority of the game was just pathetic. He needs to realize that just to win lucky every now and again is just not good enough but he fails to address this time after time, a one trick pony methinks.

Arch Stanton
28-03-2010, 09:34 PM

The points put were fair comment - pretty much what Pat Nevin was saying on the radio commentary anyway.

Up till now he has been able to deflect such direct questioning with his big hail-fellow personality, but it seems that reality is now beginning to bite and it is obviously rattling him.

Since he didn't change tack with Falkirk he is unlikely to change with D Utd and if his strikers can't do a job for him on Wed then he will be in quite a bad place - and I must say I feel for the guy - if only he could set aside the grandiose ideas and start doing the job properly then he would find things a lot easier IMO.

Houchy
28-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Very Gordon Strachan-esque if you ask me... "oh, Motherwell are huvin' a good season ur they, well we're above thame so we must be huvin a bettur season eh!!!"

To be fair, I think the journo was looking for a bite and unfortunately, Yogi took the bait.:agree:

Come on Yogi, prove us all wrong* and hold it together to see out the season then regroup with a better idea of what deadwood needs to go and what areas need strengthened.

*Ok, maybe not all but I'll certainly hold my hands up in spitting the dummy by vowing to send my ST back after the 2 performances against R.C.

I take it back and am backing Yogi to turn it round.:notworthy:

Hainan Hibs
28-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I think he sounded rattled in parts, I don't think what the reporter asks is bad, maybe direct but he didn't really ask for the responses he got.

To be honest I'm quite glad Yogi is rattled. It might galvanise them all to turn it around. It was a tough but good win against Falkirk, back in 4th and hopefully with a new found fire we can push on to 3rd.

Cabbage1875
28-03-2010, 09:43 PM
The points put were fair comment - pretty much what Pat Nevin was saying on the radio commentary anyway.

Up till now he has been able to deflect such direct questioning with his big hail-fellow personality, but it seems that reality is now beginning to bite and it is obviously rattling him.

Since he didn't change tack with Falkirk he is unlikely to change with D Utd and if his strikers can't do a job for him on Wed then he will be in quite a bad place - and I must say I feel for the guy - if only he could set aside the grandiose ideas and start doing the job properly then he would find things a lot easier IMO.

I agree with you completely, I think the questions were fine as things are certainly not all rosy in the garden as you will have seen if you've noticed any of my posts recently (probably not) but as Houchy says Al Lamont was very much on a fishing trip with Yogi and unfortunately Yogi has taken the bait and didnt come across overly well near the end of the interview.

gillythehibby
28-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I think the big man is bang on ! It's about time us fans saw past the current run and supported the big man and the team. Every team in that league has gone on a good and a bad run of games and we are no different. It's not been down to him, it's down to the 11 on the park. If he's got big "grandious" ideas as someone suggested, so what ! The same tactics and line-ups got us to 3rd and nobody was moaning. Get a ****in grip and get behind the team. I'm 42 now and seen a shed load worse than this. It's early days for Yogi. Onwards and upwards !

col02
28-03-2010, 09:56 PM
This season is very similiar to Mowbray's first one the only difference is Mowbray got the full support of the fans where as Hughes faces a constant battle it would appear. I am sure we are not where Hughes wants us to be as a team but we have to be patient and buy into giving him the chance to get us there.

noseyhibby
28-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Yogi was definitely rattled and wanting to have a go at someone, anyone who dared offer criticism, disguised or otherwise. It was a cringing interview and I'm sure Yogi will regret his performance once he calms down.
I really hope that his view from the stand opened his eyes to what we are all witnessing. To suggest that the game was done and dusted at half time was not only disrespectful to Falkirk but far from the truth.
Yogi is an angry man and to be fair to him it must be hard trying to remain composed when every man and his dog is having a go at you. I'm sure his mind went back to his last days at Falkirk when so many supporters had turned on him - a touch of deja vu for the big man.
For Yogis sake, but more importantly for the sake of Hibernian FC and the supporters who will always be there, I really hope that Falkirk is a turning point and that we go onto clinch 3rd spot. Failure to clinch 3rd spot will in my eyes be a failure and a disappointment, only because we were sitting in 3rd comfortably and the Gods had contrived to give Hibs an easy route to Scottish cup success through a sequence of unbelievable draws. We blew it big time in the cup, so the very least Yogi and the boys can do is clinch that 3rd slot. Harsh maybe, but I'm still angry at the way that this season has gone these past few months.

BEEJ
28-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Yogi was definitely rattled and wanting to have a go at someone, anyone who dared offer criticism, disguised or otherwise. It was a cringing interview and I'm sure Yogi will regret his performance once he calms down.

I really hope that his view from the stand opened his eyes to what we are all witnessing. To suggest that the game was done and dusted at half time was not only disrespectful to Falkirk but far from the truth.

:agree: Indeed.

Here's hoping he's picked up a few things from the new viewing angle.

Phil MaGlass
29-03-2010, 07:00 AM
To be honest I think 4th is all we can hope for,Utd will do us over on wednesday,they have been consistant and play well as a team,physical and aggressive,we dont have that.Having "goals" in the team is just not enough.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 08:23 AM
To suggest that the game was done and dusted at half time was not only disrespectful to Falkirk but far from the truth.

What was the score at HT again?

Hibbyradge
29-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Suggesting that we've had a good season because we're 2 points above motherwell wasn't all that clever. We've twice the resources of motherwell and they looked like relegation material before Brown took over. Yogi is rattled all right, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

brydekirk
29-03-2010, 10:30 AM
rattled, yes. also a bit nervous tension and relief i think. hope the 3 points has settled him and the team a bit.

--------
29-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Suggesting that we've had a good season because we're 2 points above motherwell wasn't all that clever. We've twice the resources of motherwell and they looked like relegation material before Brown took over. Yogi is rattled all right, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The honeymoon's over, I think, and now he knows it. :agree:

Time to take inventory, look back over the season, and start planning how to take us forward.

A couple of capable full-backs, please, to release Wothers and Nid for the midfield. Big centre-back to replace Bamba - or commit to relying on Paul H and Darren McC. Do we keep the Moroccans, or release Benji and cash in on Zouma? What about Hogg? Nish? Some of the squad players?

I agree - no bad thing if Yogi's feeling a wee bit heat right now. IMO no lasting damage has been done - PROVIDED he rectifies present problems and moves on and up.

Some of the supporters need a wee reality-check as well, IMO. :rolleyes:

Jim44
29-03-2010, 12:20 PM
In a way it might work in our favour that most folk have given us no chance of getting a result against D Utd. We went into the Falkirk match as second favourites and somehow managed to beat the bookies.

--------
29-03-2010, 12:22 PM
In a way it might work in our favour that most folk have given us no chance of getting a result against D Utd. We went into the Falkirk match as second favourites and somehow managed to beat the bookies.

In my (lengthy) experience, Jim, that tends only to work in the first game.

Somehow, we beat the odds on Saturday.

We'll get stuffed on Wednesday night. :rolleyes:

mjhibby
29-03-2010, 01:23 PM
To be honest I think 4th is all we can hope for,Utd will do us over on wednesday,they have been consistant and play well as a team,physical and aggressive,we dont have that.Having "goals" in the team is just not enough.

I think we should be careful not to get carried away over utd.They are 2 points ahead of us and they too have had a bad patch.Lets not be pessimistic about wednesday as games between us and the rabs are usually tight.If our defence is on their game im confident we will get a least a draw on wednesday.Also they were in a better position last season under harry potter and blew it so lets keep going and see what happens.also the cup could be a distraction for them but not for us now unfortunately.

Part/Time Supporter
29-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Dundee Utd 0-2 Hamilton
Rangers 7-1 Dundee Utd

Heck, even last week they allowed an Aberdeen team that hadn't won in over 10 games to come back from 0-2 to 2-2. They did something similar against Killie earlier in the season, allowing them to come back from 1-3 to 4-3 before it finished 4-4.

Part/Time Supporter
29-03-2010, 01:27 PM
A high league place would only paper over the cracks of the style of play for most of this season, we might outscore the opposition but what goes on in the rest of the game is unacceptable.

How can the overall league result "paper over the cracks". That is just ****ing nonsensical. "Paper over the cracks" means one or two things that go against the overall trend, not the other way round.

--------
29-03-2010, 01:38 PM
How can the overall league result "paper over the cracks". That is just ****ing nonsensical. "Paper over the cracks" means one or two things that go against the overall trend, not the other way round.

:agree: I think you might say that Portsmouth's FA Cup run has "papered over" one or two of the cracks in a totally disastrous season. (Though it appears that that particular batch of Polyfilla's almost run out....)

But at the end of the season, the League table tells a pretty clear story about who's been better than whom over the course of the previous ten months, and if the cracks are there, that league table will show them.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Spot on.

It's like last season when we were told that St Mirren done us a favour in beating Motherwell to help us into the top 6.

The other 32 matches played weren't in any way related.

Phil MaGlass
29-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Dundee Utd 0-2 Hamilton
Rangers 7-1 Dundee Utd

Heck, even last week they allowed an Aberdeen team that hadn't won in over 10 games to come back from 0-2 to 2-2. They did something similar against Killie earlier in the season, allowing them to come back from 1-3 to 4-3 before it finished 4-4.

Our record is hardly one to boast about weve been pumped by both Hamilton and buns,slaughtered time and time again fae St.Johnstone,(if you really want to knit pick),they have also beaten the buns in the cup and are in third,they will beat us on wednesady. I have forgotten how many times we have come back and scraped a draw this season.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Our record is hardly one to boast about weve been pumped by both Hamilton and buns,slaughtered time and time again fae St.Johnstone,(if you really want to knit pick),they have also beaten the buns in the cup and are in third,they will beat us on wednesady. I have forgotten how many times we have come back and scraped a draw this season.

How many times have we lost to St Johnstone? Once as far as I remember and once they came back to scrape a draw.

I don't think you've lost count of the amount of times we've come back and scraped a draw - I think it's not happened that often, it's happened so few times that you can't even give an example.

I don't know what it is with the United love-in on here - they're 2 points ahead of us. Are we that bad?

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Dundee Utd 0-2 Hamilton
Rangers 7-1 Dundee Utd

I'd say given the circumstances we have been fairly consistent, losing Levein, having an injury ravaged campaign thats saw us without some really important players pretty much all season, something (and i could be wrong but dont think i am) Hibs or Motherwell for example havent had to deal with.

You can bring up selective results for all sides, you mention us throwing away a lead but we have also cameback in games like 3-1 down at Ibrox, 2-0 down against St Johnstone

Aberdeen is a bit of a derby aswell, they were always going to bounce back at somepoint and get a win the longer they went the tougher it was going to be for each opposition side, we could have had them buried by ht, we let them back in then late on had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside, a draw was not the worst result.

The 7-1 game was a bit of a freak, Levein leaving brought a lot of uncertainty to the whole club, we took 2-3 games to get our act together after Webster called a team meeting and stability was soon restored.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:12 PM
they will beat us on wednesady. I have forgotten how many times we have come back and scraped a draw this season.

I dont think we will win on wednesday, although we have only lost twice away from home all season league (Ibrox and CP) we have drawn on our visits to ER,Tynecastle and Fir Park, meaning we havent won away from home to top 6 opposition so far.

I have a feeling another draw or maybe a narrow Hibs win

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd say given the circumstances we have been fairly consistent, losing Levein, having an injury ravaged campaign thats saw us without some really important players pretty much all season, something (and i could be wrong but dont think i am) Hibs or Motherwell for example havent had to deal with.

We've been missing Zemamma for months and McBride for nearly as much. Both were vital to the way we played pre-November. Bamba was away for a month at the start of the year as well.

You can bring up selective results for all sides, you mention us throwing away a lead but we have also cameback in games like 3-1 down at Ibrox, 2-0 down against St Johnstone

Aberdeen is a bit of a derby aswell, they were always going to bounce back at somepoint and get a win the longer they went the tougher it was going to be for each opposition side, we could have had them buried by ht, we let them back in then late on had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside, a draw was not the worst result.

The 7-1 game was a bit of a freak, Levein leaving brought a lot of uncertainty to the whole club, we took 2-3 games to get our act together after Webster called a team meeting and stability was soon restored.

We came back to draw at Ibrox as well, 0-2 down to Aberdeen to get a draw and we have to put up with Hearts raising their game for us and us only.

Seems to me like there are a lot of comparisons between our seasons - which reflects in their only being 2 points between us in the league table.

Have you had a run of bad games yet? Every team usually has one - I'm hoping we've just come out of ours.

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 02:19 PM
2-1 Hibs.

Teckle!

hibiedude
29-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Clearly didn't like the question he was being asked but the pressure is on Yogi to turn things around and he knows it. He has to find the answers because like Mixu he knows he's running out of time.

Phil MaGlass
29-03-2010, 02:22 PM
We lost once to St.J and the other one was going on a defeat.:agree:(although it doesnae count like a defeat but it felt like it)Weve came back and scraped draws 4 times.Dunno how many times we came back and won a game though
Still think Utd will pump us.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:24 PM
We lost once to St.J and the other one was going on a defeat.:agree:(although it doesnae count like a defeat but it felt like it)Weve came back and scraped draws 4 times.Dunno how many times we came back and won a game though
Still think Utd will pump us.

The other felt like a defeat because they got a late penalty to scrape a draw after we had led the match for 80odd minutes!

Who were the 4 scraped draws against? Is coming from behind a sign of a bad team?!

Part/Time Supporter
29-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Hibs have drawn 8 times in the league this season

1-1 v United (lateish equaliser by them after Hibs had been well on top)
1-1 v Rangers (equaliser by Hibs after Rangers had been somewhat on top)
0-0 v Hearts (dire game)
1-1 v Killie (two goals close together, Hibs equaliser)
1-1 v St. Mirren (Hibs scored first, St. Mirren equalise just before h/t)
1-1 v Hearts (Hearts score first just before h/t, Hibs equalise just after)
2-2 v Aberdeen (Hibs equalise from two goals down)
1-1 v St. Johnstone (late St. J's equaliser after Hibs had been in front for 80+ minutes)

So of eight draws, seven have been scoring draws. Of those, Hibs were pegged back in three and came from behind in four. Of those four, the only games where you could even sustain a reasonable argument that Hibs "scraped" a point were the Rangers one (given the amount of chances they created) and the Aberdeen one (due to the lateness of the equaliser). That's hardly "losing count".

And of the three that Hibs conceded a lead, I would argue they could and should have won the games against United and St. Johnstone. Certainly in both games Hibs (or, to be more specific, D. Riordan) missed absolute sitters to make it 2-0 before the equaliser was conceded.

I just love this revisionist pish that Hibs are rubbish and have been rubbish for the whole season, but they were very lucky earlier in the season. It just doesn't bear any scrutiny whatsoever.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:29 PM
We've been missing Zemamma for months and McBride for nearly as much. Both were vital to the way we played pre-November. Bamba was away for a month at the start of the year as well.

Not quite on the same level.

We came back to draw at Ibrox as well, 0-2 down to Aberdeen to get a draw and we have to put up with Hearts raising their game for us and us only.

Seems to me like there are a lot of comparisons between our seasons - which reflects in their only being 2 points between us in the league table.

Have you had a run of bad games yet? Every team usually has one - I'm hoping we've just come out of ours.

Well i think we might be due one, the only one we have had was mid december to new year but some of that was down to losing the manager.

What i will add is we have had tough cup games while maintaining a fairly good consistency in the league, in the league cup we had ross county and st johnstone away mid week, and so far in the scottish cup partick away, st johnstone away then rangers away & home.

I cant praise our team and players enough though for the effort and commitment they have shown, everything is going well, with that comes an uneasy feeling that bad result or two are just around the corner but i wouldnt be too surprised if it doesnt come such is the attitude of our players which is the best ive seen in a Utd side since 96/97, they seem determined to not have another late collapse like the previous 2 seasons. (hope i dont jix it now!)

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Hibs have drawn 8 times in the league this season

1-1 v United (lateish equaliser by them after Hibs had been well on top)
1-1 v Rangers (equaliser by Hibs after Rangers had been somewhat on top)
0-0 v Hearts (dire game)
1-1 v Killie (two goals close together, Hibs equaliser)
1-1 v St. Mirren (Hibs scored first, St. Mirren equalise just before h/t)
1-1 v Hearts (Hearts score first just before h/t, Hibs equalise just after)
2-2 v Aberdeen (Hibs equalise from two goals down)
1-1 v St. Johnstone (late St. J's equaliser after Hibs had been in front for 80+ minutes)

So of eight draws, seven have been scoring draws. Of those, Hibs were pegged back in three and came from behind in four. Of those four, the only games where you could even sustain a reasonable argument that Hibs "scraped" a point were the Rangers one (given the amount of chances they created) and the Aberdeen one (due to the lateness of the equaliser). That's hardly "losing count".

And of the three that Hibs conceded a lead, I would argue they could and should have won the games against United and St. Johnstone. Certainly in both games Hibs (or, to be more specific, D. Riordan) missed sitters to make it 2-0 before the equaliser was conceded.

BTW I thought we were going to go on and win the Aberdeen game - hardly a scraped draw either.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Not quite on the same level.

How come? I should've added McCann and Gow to that list as well as Stack being out for a couple of months (meaning we had to play Maka).

I think (and hope) you're due a bad run - we've had ours and Motherwell had their's just before they sacked Gannon.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:34 PM
BTW I thought we were going to go on and win the Aberdeen game - hardly a scraped draw either.

I thought when he mentioned us losing the lead against Aberdeen and Killie that he only meant losing 2 goal leads or coming back from 2 goals down

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought when he mentioned us losing the lead against Aberdeen and Killie that he only meant losing 2 goal leads or coming back from 2 goals down

We were 0-2 down to Aberdeen and came back to 2-2.

Vini1875
29-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Yogi has a fair amount of justification for being pissed off considering the fact that we have improved on last season.

The fans are fed up due to poor recent results.

The journalists just read message boards and seem to respond to that rather than any actual facts or investigation.

Two results would completely change the complexion of our season. Two wins v dufc and celtc would erase the last two months from the minds of the fans. Beating dufc would give the entire place a lift. Two defeats would see more gnashing of teeth. I think what Yogi is saying is that is fickle and narrow the margins are.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:37 PM
We were 0-2 down to Aberdeen and came back to 2-2.

I know that, but you mentioned Ibrox :wink:

Arch Stanton
29-03-2010, 02:39 PM
But at the end of the season, the League table tells a pretty clear story about who's been better than whom over the course of the previous ten months, and if the cracks are there, that league table will show them.

The league position isn't the only relevant piece of information - if our current run of bad results (excluding the mighty Falkirk of course) continues to the end of the season then that would also be relevant. It would arguably be a better pointer to what was to happen next season.

As to which piece of information you set your store by, I guess you pays your money and you takes your pick.

But lets hope he figures out how to turn things around as I'm sure no one is enjoying all this.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I know that, but your mentioned Ibrox :wink:

I see. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass-is half empty - was saying something about us coming back to scrape draws and I used Ibrox as an example. Obviously you lost more goals at Ibrox before making your comeback - but a comeback is a comeback.

I think I'm losing the point I was trying to make now - which is Dundee United are a decent side but so are Hibs and that's why we're so close in the league table!

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I agree there isnt any big gap between the sides

I feel we have the slight edge overall with strongest XI's available and overall squad depth but also feel Hibs have the edge in the striker department. :agree:

Obviously a lot of Hibees will see things different me :wink:

The_Horde
29-03-2010, 02:53 PM

I feel we have the slight edge overall with strongest XI's available and overall squad depth but also feel Hibs have the edge in the striker department. :agree:

I'd say that's pretty much a good summary.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd say that's pretty much a good summary.

Should add, i dont think there is enough in it to say either will definitely beat the other on any given day or either will definitely go on a finish above the other.

Will be close all the way, im hoping we will have cup distractions till May right enough (:worried:)

J-C
29-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Clearly didn't like the question he was being asked but the pressure is on Yogi to turn things around and he knows it. He has to find the answers because like Mixu he knows he's running out of time.

How do you work that out, the scenario is complately different. Mixu had no clue what to do at all, his only good piece of business was buying Bamba, Yogi has bought 3 decent signings and strengthened the goalkeeper position and had us vying for 2nd for the first half of the season. A few of the players form have dipped leading to us struggling recently and as he says in the interview he has a job to do and is only part the way through it, the difference from last year is like night and day.

greenlex
29-03-2010, 03:53 PM
The league position isn't the only relevant piece of information - if our current run of bad results (excluding the mighty Falkirk of course) continues to the end of the season then that would also be relevant. It would arguably be a better pointer to what was to happen next season.

As to which piece of information you set your store by, I guess you pays your money and you takes your pick.

But lets hope he figures out how to turn things around as I'm sure no one is enjoying all this.

We also beat Killie.
In fact our league form since we lost to rangers at ER is
Drawn the Derby at ER
Lost at Tannadice
Won at a canter over Hamilton at ER
Won at Parkhead
Won against St Mirren at ER
Drew with the Sheep at ER after being 2 down
Lost at Ibrox
Lost at Perth heavily
Lost narrowly at Fir park with ten men for an hour
Drew with the Saintees at ER
Won at ER against Killie
Lost the Tynie Derby
Beat the bairns at Falkirk

7 points out a possible 12 in the last 4 games. Current form isnt that bad to be honest.

Actually the only real shocker there is Away to Perth. I think we could be third at a canter. :greengrin
Nae wonder Yogi's hacked off with the press.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 04:17 PM

:agree::top marks
I agree with that summary 100%, although some on here think we are the Real Madrid of the SPL, with our spending.

Arch Stanton
29-03-2010, 04:41 PM
7 points out a possible 12 in the last 4 games. Current form isnt that bad to be honest.

Actually the only real shocker there is Away to Perth. I think we could be third at a canter. :greengrin

For me the last 4 games should include the 2 no-shows against RC and is a bit of a drawback to just quoting the league position IMO.

That said the league results are better than I would have thought but it still feels dire to me - Stokes and Riordan getting goals against the run of play doesn't fill me with confidence. And lets face it, the teams we picked up the points against are hardly an inspiring bunch.

Sir David Gray
29-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Totally agree with what you have said, although I personally find that hard to swallow.

With the financial position that we find ourselves in just now and the crowds that we get, I believe we should be favourites for 3rd every single year.

But no-one has a divine right to anything in sport and you have to earn success so it says something for Dundee Utd and Motherwell that they are competing with us in the league. Dundee Utd in particular have assembled a very good squad of players over the past few years and they are playing some good stuff.

Dirkster23
29-03-2010, 05:21 PM
:agree::top marks
I agree with that summary 100%, although some on here think we are the Real Madrid of the SPL, with our spending.

Who's actually said that, or is it just another case you making things up to suit your agenda?

I have heard plenty people say the manager has been well backed by the board so far. Do you disagree with that?

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Who's actually said that, or is it just another case you making things up to suit your agenda?

I have heard plenty people say the manager has been well backed by the board so far. Do you disagree with that?

What agenda is this? Yogi said in an interview he'd spent less money than last season, do you not believe him?

hibee_nation
29-03-2010, 05:33 PM

I think he has been backed by the board and spent wisely on the players he has brought in. Do you disagree with that. No need to mention what we still need as i'm sure yogi knows that too.

Dirkster23
29-03-2010, 06:20 PM
What agenda is this? Yogi said in an interview he'd spent less money than last season, do you not believe him?

Your aganda- at the moment it appears to be trying to tell Hibs fans how they should support their team and get behind the manager at all costs. Of course this is in stark contrast to when you were the most negative person on here and decided to stop following Hibs because you didn't like the manager.

You never answered my question- has Yogi been well backed by the board in his time in charge.

Do i believe what Yogi said about spending less this season? To be honest i'm not sure. If he has spent less it can't be by much as apart from Celtic i can't think of another SPL team adding players the way we have.

Dirkster23
29-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I think he has been backed by the board and spent wisely on the players he has brought in. Do you disagree with that. No need to mention what we still need as i'm sure yogi knows that too.

No, don't disagree with that at all. I would have rather he'd brought in a right back instead of another keeper in January, but i've no complaints with the players brought in.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Your aganda- at the moment it appears to be trying to tell Hibs fans how they should support their team and get behind the manager at all costs.
I'm not saying get behind the manager at all cost at all, everyone has their own opinion about him, although i do think we should be getting behind the team at all costs when at the game
Of course this is in stark contrast to when you were the most negative person on here and decided to stop following Hibs because you didn't like the manager.
The managers tactis or lack of them were only one of the reasons i stopped going to the games for a while, cost/time and going on my own, as others had stopped going were the other reasons.
You never answered my question- has Yogi been well backed by the board in his time in charge.
I never said either way, as all i have to go on the subject is what he said, and others from this message board who know about as much as you or me on the matter.
Do i believe what Yogi said about spending less this season? To be honest i'm not sure. If he has spent less it can't be by much as apart from Celtic i can't think of another SPL team adding players the way we have.

I have no idea how many players other teams have signed, and it seems you donr either?

Dirkster23
29-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I have no idea how many players other teams have signed, and it seems you donr either?

So you can't give your opinion on wether Yogi has been well backed by the board in his time as manager? Don't take my word for it, he's said himself the board have been great with him and given him the funds to bring in quality players.

Your right, off the top of my head i can't list all the players other teams have brought in. Having said that can you name a team in the SPL apart fron Celtic that have brought in the amount or quality of players we have.

noseyhibby
29-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Two wins v dufc and celtc would erase the last two months from the minds of the fans.

I respect your point but disagree. What has taken place the last few months will not be erased from my mind simply by beating The Arabs and Celts.The memory of the unbelievably favourable Scottish Cup draw and our bitterly disappointing capitulation to Ross County will not go away.:grr: After the dismal results and inept performances of the last few months I expect nothing less from this Hibs side than clinching 3rd spot. Anything else is failure -only because of the wonderful position we found ourselves in.

marinello59
29-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I respect your point but disagree. What has taken place the last few months will not be erased from my mind simply by beating The Arabs and Celts.The memory of the unbelievably favourable Scottish Cup draw and our bitterly disappointing capitulation to Ross County will not go away.:grr: After the dismal results and inept performances of the last few months I expect nothing less from this Hibs side than clinching 3rd spot. Anything else is failure -only because of the wonderful position we found ourselves in.

I would have accepted top six before the season started given the shambles Yogi inherited. That we managed to get ourselves so far up the league during a major rebuilding process was pretty remarkable. Unfortunately it raised some fans expectations to unrealistic levels.
3rd spot, that would be brilliant. To finish lower wouldn't be total failure IMHO. Next season though.............

matty_f
29-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Spot on.

It's like last season when we were told that St Mirren done us a favour in beating Motherwell to help us into the top 6.

The other 32 matches played weren't in any way related.

Good point, well made.:agree:

monktonharp
29-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I think Yogi has a fair amount of justification for being pissed off considering the fact that we have improved on last season.

The fans are fed up due to poor recent results.

The journalists just read message boards and seem to respond to that rather than any actual facts or investigation.

Two results would completely change the complexion of our season. Two wins v dufc and celtc would erase the last two months from the minds of the fans. Beating dufc would give the entire place a lift. Two defeats would see more gnashing of teeth. I think what Yogi is saying is that is fickle and narrow the margins are.:agree:with most of that,but erasure of the mind,about last Tuesday,no I'll remember that one for a while:boo hoo:

BEEJ
29-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Spent less money on transfer fees perhaps.

But you don't bring in players like Stokes and Miller and pay them buttons. They will be right at the top end of Hibs salary scales, possibly beyond.

So I think the Board have been generous with the salary budget.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 10:34 PM
So you can't give your opinion on wether Yogi has been well backed by the board in his time as manager? Don't take my word for it, he's said himself the board have been great with him and given him the funds to bring in quality players.
As every manager rangers apart have said. :confused:
Your right, off the top of my head i can't list all the players other teams have brought in. Having said that can you name a team in the SPL apart fron Celtic that have brought in the amount or quality of players we have.

Of the top of my head, every team brought in players apart from rangers, all of differing quality. We brought in stokes and miller, probably the best quality outside the old firm, our manager did, the guy thats been lambasted for being clueless. Although he had to sell fletcher and jones too. The rest of his signings, are they any better than our opposition signed?

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 10:36 PM

But you don't bring in players like Stokes and Miller and pay them buttons. They will be right at the top end of Hibs salary scales, possibly beyond.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but i thought Yogi said his budget was down on last season?

Jim44
29-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but i thought Yogi said his budget was down on last season?

Will Hughes not still be on his first budget?

matty_f
29-03-2010, 10:45 PM

He will, but Hibs will still have had a budget pre-Yogi.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2010, 10:46 PM

What i thought he said was, his budget for players was less than Mixu's last seasons budget? Perhaps someone can bring the quote back up?

J-C
29-03-2010, 11:26 PM

There is as far as I'm aware a salary cap at the top end, roughly £3-4K, the top players as far as Yogi has stated cost us nothing in transfer fees but I've been told that their signing on fees are fairly significant and that's probably why they signed. So pay ziltch for them but give them a hefty signing on fee which is worth 2-3 years wages in one go.

Sandy
30-03-2010, 05:13 AM
I have been in a brand new job in a new country for the last 4 months. If I was asked similar questions (and prior to my arrival my team were CRAP) I would answer in a similar fashion. You cannot change things round totally in a short period of time. When I first arrived I made an instant impact, I then stagnated for a couple of months, and it is slowly starting to improve now that my 'ethos' is being understood (albeit slowly) by my team. Sometimes I have to give them an arm round the shoulder and encourage, other times I have to kick some arse. We are 4th FFS anyone want Mixu back ? nah thought not. Oh aye I know Yogi managed in the same league and country, but it is an attitude and expectation difference at different clubs that matters, Falkirk just wanted to stay up, we EXPECT to challenge for Europe, which at the moment I believe we are, if we fail this season I still see an improvement from Mixu's tenure, in player calibre and points total already. Rant over.

Dirkster23
30-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Of the top of my head, every team brought in players apart from rangers, all of differing quality. We brought in stokes and miller, probably the best quality outside the old firm, our manager did, the guy thats been lambasted for being clueless. Although he had to sell fletcher and jones too. The rest of his signings, are they any better than our opposition signed?

Have they? McGhee at Aberdeen, Jeffries at Kilmarnock, McPherson at St Mirren, Shabba at the Jambos off the top of my head have all complained about having to cut their squads/been unable to bring players in.

Fletcher had made it clear he was moving in the summer and Jones was out of contract.

I'd say McBride was an above average holding midfielder in the SPL (especially working along with Miller). We've also had the return of Zemmama and Benji on top of the signings of Stack, Smith, Brown, Cregg, Galbraith and the loan signing of Gow. I'd say that meant the board had backed Yogi pretty well when you also consider they signed Miller and Stokes too. Are you honestly trying to say they haven't??

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Have they? McGhee at Aberdeen, Jeffries at Kilmarnock, McPherson at St Mirren, Shabba at the Jambos off the top of my head have all complained about having to cut their squads/been unable to bring players in.
Did they not sign players?
Fletcher had made it clear he was moving in the summer and Jones was out of contract.
Did they leave or not?
I'd say McBride was an above average holding midfielder in the SPL (especially working along with Miller). We've also had the return of Zemmama and Benji on top of the signings of Stack, Smith, Brown, Cregg, Galbraith and the loan signing of Gow. I'd say that meant the board had backed Yogi pretty well when you also consider they signed Miller and Stokes too. Are you honestly trying to say they haven't??

He also lost other players too, O'brien would have been a top earner, along with Fletcher, those wages will have offset miller and stokes's wages. The rest will also be offset from the players that left. Kerr/rosa/chisholm/gatheussi and others.
McBride was a player nobody bar yogi wanted, Zemamma and benji were coming back, yogi had no option but to accept them, the rest are players who i'd describe as average. I think yogi has been backed, i also think he can do better. IMHO he will do better, but he will have to get rid of quite a few of what he's got at the moment.

Dirkster23
30-03-2010, 12:00 PM
He also lost other players too, O'brien would have been a top earner, along with Fletcher, those wages will have offset miller and stokes's wages. The rest will also be offset from the players that left. Kerr/rosa/chisholm/gatheussi and others.
McBride was a player nobody bar yogi wanted, Zemamma and benji were coming back, yogi had no option but to accept them, the rest are players who i'd describe as average. I think yogi has been backed, i also think he can do better. IMHO he will do better, but he will have to get rid of quite a few of what he's got at the moment.

As someone has already said, i'm sure there were hefty signing on fees for these players.

If Yogi didn't think Zemmama and Benji were players he could use this year i'm sure he would have tried to move them on.

I've not got a problem with Yogi, i have had some doubts about him recently, but i hope he turns out to be a good Hibs manager.

To go back to your OP, i don't see people describing us as the Real Madrid of the SPL but i do see people accepting that the manager has been well backed by the board.

--------
30-03-2010, 12:18 PM
We also beat Killie.
In fact our league form since we lost to rangers at ER is
Drawn the Derby at ER
Lost at Tannadice
Won at a canter over Hamilton at ER
Won at Parkhead
Won against St Mirren at ER
Drew with the Sheep at ER after being 2 down
Lost at Ibrox
Lost at Perth heavily
Lost narrowly at Fir park with ten men for an hour
Drew with the Saintees at ER
Won at ER against Killie
Lost the Tynie Derby
Beat the bairns at Falkirk

Those three defeats all came in one week, IIRC. We didn't play badly at Ibrox, either - in fact, we should have been playing against 10 after Boyd clattered Zouma.

IMO the Cup defeat has made things feel much worse; a lot of us assumed that Ross County were a soft option like our previous two opponents. They were wrong, and they're still wrong. County are a more than decent side and may well be SPL next season.

Losing a Derby always brings out the worst in us, too - and nothing demotivates a team like having their own fans yelling abuse from kick-off to full-time.... :rolleyes:

We miss Zouma and McBride big-time. We lost Bamba at a crucial time for a number of crucial games. Stack's injury re-opened the goalkeeping question in some folks' minds - we still have a bad habit of flaying our keepers for mistakes and this probably doesn't help them or the rest of the team. All keepers make mistakes, all keepers have off-days. Even the very best.

I don't say we WILL make third. I do say there's no reason why not - provided we don't LOSE to United tomorrow evening.

JimBHibees
30-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Havent heard the interview though dont know maybe he was comparing with the signings he made at Falkirk last season when he brought in McCann, McNamara, Bullen, O'Brien etc who I would imagine would have cost a few bob.