PDA

View Full Version : Postings - User names v real names

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking about comments in the press from Yogi recently, and also from Walter Smith and others in the past about website messageboards not being worth them listening to cos the postings are made by 'faceless' fans

I can partly understand their thinking, BUT...

Hows about on the profile that we all fill in to join this site, we have a choice about whether or not to show our real names as well as a chosen usename ?
If we did that, it would mean that anyone who chooses to tick the box to allow their real name to be displayed with each posting they make ceases to become anon and therefore gives their postings a bit more credibility ...I'm maybe missing something, but I cant see any drawbacks to anyones real name being displayed too

Over to you folks

GGTTH

Peevemor
28-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Great idea.

I'm John Hughes. :agree:

JoeT
28-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not Alan O'Brien

greenlex
I'm thinking about comments in the press from Yogi recently, and also from Walter Smith and others in the past about website messageboards not being worth them listening to cos the postings are made by 'faceless' fans

Hows about on the profile that we all fill in to join this site, we have a choice about whether or not to show our real names as well as a chosen usename ?
If we did that, it would mean that anyone who chooses to tick the box to allow their real name to be displayed with each posting they make ceases to become anon and therefore gives their postings a bit more credibility ...I'm maybe missing something, but I cant see any drawbacks to anyones real name being displayed too

Over to you folks

GGTTH
Just pop your real name in the username bit?

HibbyAndy
Ive kept a secet for a long time, Gareth Evans married my sister.

hibee
28-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't think people should be encouraged to display their real names on the internet when we spend all our time telling our kids not to do it !!

greenlex
28-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I knew your real name was Gareth. :agree: The Yams will be creaming themselves. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
28-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I knew your real name was Gareth. :agree: The Yams will be creaming themselves. :greengrin

:greengrin

silverhibee
28-03-2010, 06:14 PM
My real name is Derek G. Riordan.
Hope the fans go easy on me now. :thumbsup: :notworthy:

HibbyAndy
28-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Akent you were Deek :agree:

Gave yer Uncle James a ticket when you got your 1st goal in a winning Derby (2-1 Benji game) :agree:

BroxburnHibee
28-03-2010, 06:16 PM

If you're gonna take the piss just **** off :devil:

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't think people should be encouraged to display their real names on the internet when we spend all our time telling our kids not to do it !!

Thats a very good point, but if some-one joins hibs.net as a junior, I'd say they def shouldnt have their realname displayed
I know there might be some folks who would say their names are YOGI, or Dick Puler, R.Sole. M.Mouse etc etc, and that's all good for a laugh, but I just think if the Admin folks have doubts about a realname, they don't let the person use it, and that person posts remain as only showing their chosen username. Then we'd all have a choice when reading a post...i.e. is the person for real, or maybe they're anon and they're maybe a Jambo at the wind-up

I'd take a posting with a realname more seriously than an anon one...

GGTTH

Lang Toun Hibs
28-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Dunning Hibs says it all - I live in Dunning, it's a small village and I think I'm the only Hibs fan here...wouldn't take you too long to find me!

Speedy
28-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Over to you folks

GGTTH

We'd still be 'faceless'.

I don't see what the point would be anyway, what is the value of telling people your name on a messageboard?

silverhibee
28-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Thats a very good point, but if some-one joins hibs.net as a junior, I'd say they def shouldnt have their realname displayed
I know there might be some folks who would say their names are YOGI, or Dick Puler, R.Sole. M.Mouse etc etc, and that's all good for a laugh, but I just think if the Admin folks have doubts about a realname, they don't let the person use it, and that person posts remain as only showing their chosen username. Then we'd all have a choice when reading a post...i.e. is the person for real, or maybe they're anon and they're maybe a Jambo at the wind-up

GGTTH

Well i hope you take me more seriously now, now that you know who i am.:thumbsup:

silverhibee
28-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Akent you were Deek :agree:

Gave yer Uncle James a ticket when you got your 1st goal in a winning Derby (2-1 Benji game) :agree:

:thumbsup:

silverhibee
28-03-2010, 06:36 PM
If you're gonna take the piss just **** off :devil:

Toaods
28-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm actually Ian Brines...now move along quietly.

Auckland Hibs
28-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I've never told anyone this before on hibs.net until today, my real name is Paul.

Nitten Hibee
28-03-2010, 07:01 PM
my name is barry and never said this before but think am an alcoholic typical hobo really :greengrin

fatbloke
28-03-2010, 07:06 PM
My real name is George Foulkes and I am Lord so there!!!!!!!

Nitten Hibee
28-03-2010, 07:10 PM
My real name is George Foulkes and I am Lord so there!!!!!!!

with that post and the thread you just started am thinking your smelling of:jamboak:

madabouthibs
28-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I think the only real named person I've seen on here that immediately springs to mind is James Riordan.
Where did he go anyway??? :cool2:

Oh, by the way, my surname is Farmer. No, honestly, it is! :devil:

madabouthibs
28-03-2010, 07:11 PM
< Those are my kids, (the small ones!) but I'm not telling you there names Pike! :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
28-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I am not a fan of this and neither will most Hibbies - I mean why on earth would we want to reveal our real names?
Most people know that we are claiming on the dole whilst selling pegs, tarmacing drives and sharpening shears...like a turkey voting for xmas.:wink:

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 07:31 PM
We'd still be 'faceless'.

I don't see what the point would be anyway, what is the value of telling people your name on a messageboard?

Aye, thats true Deano, but I'm thinking it would deal with Yogi or WS comments, and maybe displaying a persons real name would give the person making a post a bit more credibility.
I honestly cani see what anyone would have to lose...or am I missing something

GGTTH

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 07:32 PM
I am not a fan of this and neither will most Hibbies - I mean why on earth would we want to reveal our real names?
Most people know that we are claiming on the dole whilst selling pegs, tarmacing drives and sharpening shears...like a turkey voting for xmas.:wink:

:faf: f******in teckle :greengrin:greengrin

Bostonhibby
28-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Great idea.

:agree: Me too, and I would just like to say how well I am doing, that is all, thanks for the opportunity :wink:

Nitten Hibee
28-03-2010, 07:54 PM
And I am thinking why dont you shove yer keyboard up yer er5e ya clown. Your number of posts = your IQ.

touchy touchy mate just stating my thoughts on the nonsence your talking

ave got a laptop tae so the shoving the keyboard up ma tynecastle wid be that wee bit harder

fatbloke
28-03-2010, 07:58 PM
touchy touchy mate just stating my thoughts on the nonsence your talking

I think we can finish second in fact I think we will!!!!!!

GGTTH

NOLA
28-03-2010, 08:00 PM
And I am thinking why dont you shove yer keyboard up yer er5e ya clown. Your number of posts = your IQ.

easy tiger:wink:

deek68
28-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Why is it that if your name is Derek and you live in Scotland you get called "Deek"?

If you live in England you're "Del"?

Who knows.

I live in Abbeyhill.

I support Hibs.

Have we met..?

Nitten Hibee
28-03-2010, 08:02 PM

GGTTH

would love to be on your wavelength but we are still struggling for third

madabouthibs
28-03-2010, 08:06 PM

GGTTH

Yeah, fair-doo, but when?:cool2:

RIP
28-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Dunning Hibs says it all - I live in Dunning, it's a small village and I think I'm the only Hibs fan here...wouldn't take you too long to find me!

I was in Dunning today = could have doubled the Hibee population

vincipernoi
28-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I am spartacus!

address; the Appian Way

well, naebodys said it so far.

Nitten Hibee
28-03-2010, 08:13 PM

LTYF :agree:

can u smell it?

Hibs On Tour
28-03-2010, 08:26 PM

GGTTH

This from someone called 'eaststand'... :greengrin

jdships
28-03-2010, 08:30 PM

:top marks:thumbsup:

LancsHibs
28-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm Spartacus!!!

greenlex
28-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I was in Dunning today = could have doubled the Hibee population What were you up to likes? Are you no a bit too auld for that?

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 08:32 PM
This from someone called 'eaststand'... :greengrin
yep thats my username, and I actually didnt know if the username i picked when I registered to hibs.net was allowed to be my own name..but for the record its Paul, and someones got that as their username already.
As I said at the start of this thread, I cani really see how displaying a realname along with a username would frighten anybody

GGTTH

Hibs On Tour
28-03-2010, 08:47 PM
yep thats my username, and I actually didnt know if the username i picked when I registered to hibs.net was allowed to be my own name..but for the record its Paul, and someones got that as their username already.
As I said at the start of this thread, I cani really see how displaying a realname along with a username would frighten anybody

GGTTH

Doesn't have to frighten anyone - I just can't see any practical benefit to be had from it. This is a messageboard - nothing more or less. It shouldn't necessarily matter a flying **** to us what Walter Smith or anyone else may or may not think about the posts or posters on it. Some people take this board and themselves a little too seriously IMO. Its just a forum FFS.

iwasthere1972
28-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Over to you folks

GGTTH

You are joking aren't you.

We are all faceless wonders and always will be. Jeezo most folk kid on about their age so no chance they will be displaying their names. Don't you know that the DHS monitor this site to check that all the unemployed Hibs supporters are out there looking for jobs and not posting ****** on here all day long.

My name? J.R. Hartley. :agree: No relation to that ex-yam bearded tramp either.

lEXO
28-03-2010, 09:06 PM
My name is Alex. Of the cropley variety obviously.

Woody1985
28-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Over to you folks

GGTTH

Not a great idea IMO for a few reasons.

1. People could just make up fake names.
2. It's an internet forum, the whole point is it's meant to be faceless. Go and set up a facebook group if you want to see who people are.
3. No one gives a toss my name is Peter Pan.
4. It won't change anyone's opinions i.e. Yogi or Walter Smith on anything. They're not going to log on and say 'That ******* Peter Pan from Gilmerton is having a go at me again, what a prick. I'm going to send the boys round'.
5. If you have a credible post, people will take you seriously, if you post pish :cool2:, then they won't.

If you want to obtain credibility by showing your face and name stick it in your username and put a picture of you in your avatar.

Yours sincerely,

Peter. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
28-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Is he a minister like?

CallumLaidlaw
28-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I used my name when I signed up as I didn't have a nickname and I couldn't think of anything wittty ;)
I don't think I have any extra credibilty for it, but I have had a couple of randoms say "you're callumlaidlaw off hibs.net aren't you?" lol

PC Stamp
28-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm Brian and I'm a very naughty boy. :greengrin

Billychaotic182
28-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Am Ron Burgundy?

Bayern Bru
28-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I think the OP's comments are a little bit redundant in that we have the option to sign up with our proper names if we want, a la Mr Fairnie:agree: and if that's what tickles your fancy then by all means go for it.

I signed up with my particular username as I wanted something pretty unique but that also meant something to the 17 year old me. (Christ, was it really 5 years ago this Christmas I signed up!?) I have no particular problem with people on here knowing who I am, in fact, I'm sure there are many people on here who WILL know me. I just don't personally see the point in advertising it because whilst I wouldn't lose anything through doing it, I'd gain nothing either. And sometimes being anonymous is beneficial!:greengrin

Love, Patrick. :wink:

sahib
28-03-2010, 10:36 PM
In the old days, when people on here had nights out in like the Cafe Royal or that Cabbage pub, was anonimity maintained?

Removed
28-03-2010, 10:37 PM

GGTTH

Really. Some of the "names" on here spout the most pish :agree: :greengrin

We are all faceless wonders and always will be. Jeezo most folk kid on about their age so no chance they will be displaying their names.

That's shocking. Why on earth would someone lie about their age if no one knows who they are :confused: :bitchy:

sleeping giant
28-03-2010, 10:41 PM

That's shocking. Why on earth would someone lie about their age if no one knows who they are :confused: :bitchy:

Beats me :dunno:

Bayern Bru
28-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Beats me :dunno:

...you mean you're not really 89?

You had me fooled.

Hainan Hibs
28-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm Jocky Scott.

WHA'S IN CHERGE??????

iwasthere1972
28-03-2010, 10:59 PM

You trying to tell me that all the ages shown in peoples avatars are correct? I'm not for one minute saying that there's anything sinister going on I am just stating a fact. :agree:

There may be a good reason why someone doesn't want to reveal their real name and that's their business.

Me? I'm not entirely faceless as like a lot of other posters on here at least one or two people know who I am. I have nothing to hide (except my age :greengrin).

surreyhibbie
28-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Great idea.

No, I'm John Hughes!....

,,,,and so is my wife!

:wink:

Hibernian Verse
28-03-2010, 11:08 PM
we should maybe all get a mugshot :confused::greengrin

Removed
28-03-2010, 11:31 PM
You trying to tell me that all the ages shown in peoples avatars are correct? I'm not for one minute saying that there's anything sinister going on I am just stating a fact. :agree:

No I'm not, just can't understand why anyone would want to do it. Sounds dodgy to me :agree: :greengrin

surreyhibbie
28-03-2010, 11:36 PM
It's a bit of fun, making up names other than our own. Can't see the point of lying about ages though.

Happy to give out my real name to anyone who wants to know it, but honestly can't see why they would.... my friends on here know who i am.:agree:

1two
29-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I used to be Dean Shiels
I'm Daniel Galbraith now!:agree:

iwasthere1972
29-03-2010, 12:11 AM
No I'm not, just can't understand why anyone would want to do it. Sounds dodgy to me :agree: :greengrin

Oh well I can't hang about here all night as I have to get up for school in the morning. :greengrin

truehibernian
29-03-2010, 03:08 AM
I an ex Hibernian stalwart........more warts than stalls

Frazerbob
29-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I used my name when I signed up as I didn't have a nickname and I couldn't think of anything wittty ;)
I don't think I have any extra credibilty for it, but I have had a couple of ransoms say "you're callumlaidlaw off hibs.net aren't you?" lol

Bloody hell :shocked:that's why you shouldn't use your real name!

How much did you have to pay?

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Bloody hell :shocked:that's why you shouldn't use your real name!

How much did you have to pay?

:hilarious

BTW I used my real name when I signed up here.

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm Jocky Scott.

WHA'S IN CHERGE??????

Hiya Jocky Scott. Hiya pal.

An Leargaidh
29-03-2010, 09:26 AM

I live in Largs but amazingly there are at least three Hibbies in the town and two of them live next door to each other :agree: but sadly neither of them in the same part of town as me :boo hoo:

BTW I'm Micky (but also Cammy, not Cammy Bell though :greengrin )

Dinkydoo
29-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I think I'm one of two maybe three Hibs fans in the whole of Dumfries, my name is Josh.........

Does that mean Yogi and WS will take my opinions seriously now.....:bitchy:

What I find extremely ironic is how managers come out with all this "I don't read the papers or even care whats in them, I don't frequent on fan forums....." yet come out with damning statements about both.

If they don't care then why waste time going on about it?:rolleyes: :faf:

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I think I'm one of two maybe three Hibs fans in the whole of Dumfries, my name is Josh.........

Does that mean Yogi and WS will take my opinions seriously now.....:bitchy:

What I find extremely ironic is how managers come out with all this "I don't read the papers or even care whats in them, I don't frequent on fan forums....." yet come out with damning statements about both.

If they don't care then why waste time going on about it?:rolleyes: :faf:

Because they're asked about it.

Dinkydoo
29-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Because they're asked about it.

Ah but it seems to me that they must be asked a good few times each year then :confused:

If they are then fair play; they have a right to answer the question. Just thought it seemed an odd thing to come out with (the real names thing) when they in general don't care.

MyJo
29-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm Sol Bamba.......and so is my wife!

Lucius Apuleius
29-03-2010, 12:04 PM
:crazy: Well there is mine, I am from Dennyloanhead, I work and live mostly in Nigeria. My Hibs shirt this season has Turnbull on it, next year probably Gordon in memory of Alan. Defo neither faceless nor hard to find.

--------
29-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Is he a minister like?

No, I'M a minister! :greengrin

Actually, my name is Spartacus, and I'm an alcoholic. :bevvied!:

Sudds_1
29-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I am Brian......and I'm a hibsaholic :boo hoo:

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm Craig/Creag from Irvine.

Eaststand
29-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Ok doke, it seems the massive majoirty seem to prefer to stick to the username only. There were some good emails in the replies, and it was worth getting other Hibbies opinions eh

GGTTH

Cheers
Rod the tash :guesswho::partyhibb

Jonnyboy
29-03-2010, 04:30 PM
In the old days, when people on here had nights out in like the Cafe Royal or that Cabbage pub, was anonimity maintained?

I've been to a couple of those and met folk off here. Decent people one and all (even HibbyAndy) :greengrin

Brando7
29-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Over to you folks

GGTTH

Personally I urge our Admins to write to Yogi telling him he has a free subscription to Hibs.net for being our manager :devil:

fiolex1
29-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Don't tell anybody but I'm Lord Lucan

matty_f
29-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Anyone using their own name on a forum such as this is an idiot. :agree:

Malthibby
29-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Just about to ask where the fairnie boy was & voila..........................although he doesn't know that's not his real name.......:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Just about to ask where the fairnie boy was & voila..........................although he doesn't know that's not his real name.......:greengrin

He does know it's not his real name.

He was always called Matthew Fairnie until he went through a mid20s crisis and started calling himseld "Matty"

matty_f
29-03-2010, 10:39 PM
He does know it's not his real name.

He was always called Matthew Fairnie until he went through a mid20s crisis and started calling himseld "Matty"

Started at 16 when I worked at McD's - there were 2 Matthews, so mines got shortened.:agree:

fatbloke
29-03-2010, 11:12 PM
It's a bit of fun, making up names other than our own. Can't see the point of lying about ages though.

Happy to give out my real name to anyone who wants to know it, but honestly can't see why they would.... my friends on here know who i am.:agree:

So do your enemies Brian!!!!!!

Bayern Bru
29-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Don't tell anybody but I'm Lord Lucan

Whatever happened to Shergar ya bassa!?
:grr::greengrin

BT58
30-03-2010, 08:57 AM
im bt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no,no, not that BT,,,,,,,,,,
once was spartacus in a previous life,,,,,,now im a cactus,[according to my wife] pain in her b**t, cant see it maself :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
hb

Iain G
30-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I obviously opted for a username, as my real name is Stanton7nilFranckLatapy62MixuTortolanoisagod-Makalamby and that would be a daft username :wink:

Eaststand
30-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I obviously opted for a username, as my real name is Stanton7nilFranckLatapy62MixuTortolanoisagod-Makalamby and that would be a daft username :wink:

thats ****in teckle likes :top marks:agree:

TRC
30-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm the only hibee in the pub that i work in at the moment although there is only 2 people here. I HATE SNOW. My name are my initials!

surreyhibbie
30-03-2010, 10:08 PM
So do your enemies Brian!!!!!!

Away and bile yer heid Chas. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
30-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Started at 16 when I worked at McD's - there were 2 Matthews, so mines got shortened.:agree:

As did your username :wink::greengrin

matty_f
31-03-2010, 12:47 AM
As did your username :wink::greengrin

:bitchy: Ouch!:greengrin

Speedway
31-03-2010, 09:10 AM
If anyone on here thinks I'm going to revert to my real name of Richard Rasch you can forget about it.

Joe Baker II
31-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Over to you folks

GGTTH

These guys are paid more money than the average fan and par tof their job is dealing with criticism, pretty pathetic comments from Smith and Hughes and worryingly reminiscent of Williamson's attititude from the current ER incumbent. Recall Chick Young making some equally infantile comments on this theme too - someone else who is paid well but cannot handle criticism when his views are attacked. Nothing to stop these guys PM'ing the posters they claim to be so offended by if they want their real names and contact details.

Peevemor
31-03-2010, 09:30 AM
These guys are paid more money than the average fan and par tof their job is dealing with criticism, pretty pathetic comments from Smith and Hughes and worryingly reminiscent of Williamson's attititude from the current ER incumbent. Recall Chick Young making some equally infantile comments on this theme too - someone else who is paid well but cannot handle criticism when his views are attacked. Nothing to stop these guys PM'ing the posters they claim to be so offended by if they want their real names and contact details.

Hughes said he doesn't read message boards, therefore he's not going to be offended by specific posters is he?

Or do you just want something else to criticise?

davemcbain
31-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Anyone using their own name on a forum such as this is an idiot. :agree:

I'm Spartac........an Idiot. :agree:

Fish
31-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Why I don't use my name? Because it is unusual and everybody thinks I support a team from Greenock

Well I am Morton or Mog or Moggie (have been so since I was 5 and that is a long long long long time ago) to my friends, comes from the contraction of my first two names Morton George and I may or may not be an alcoholic.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

By the way I am a fish not the fish......

Peevemor
31-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Why I don't use my name? Because it is unusual and everybody thinks I support a team from Greenock

Well I am Morton or Mog or Moggie (have been so since I was 5 and that is a long long long long time ago) to my friends, comes from the contraction of my first two names Morton George and I may or may not be an alcoholic.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

By the way I am a fish not the fish......

Aha... :agree:

Sorry

Fish
31-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Never heard that one before.................................

Peevemor
31-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Never heard that one before.................................

I said sorry. I shouldn't have posted that - I don't know what in the living daylights I was thinking of.

HibbyAndy
31-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Am a Hibby and ma names Andy.

Speedway
31-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I am the way and I get there quickly.

CalgaryHibs
31-03-2010, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=Eaststand;2407475]I'm thinking about comments in the press from Yogi recently, and also from Walter Smith and others in the past about website messageboards not being worth them listening to cos the postings are made by 'faceless' fans

Over to you folks

GGTTH[/QUOTE
+++++++++++++
Both Mr Smith and Mr Hughes HAVE NO RIGHT to speak about this who do they think they are ?:grr:

iwasthere1972
31-03-2010, 12:41 PM
My name is John and I'm an alcoholic.

fatbloke
31-03-2010, 11:49 PM
My name is John and I'm an alcoholic.

Hello John:greengrin