PDA

View Full Version : Cregg has to start midweek

hibsboy90
27-03-2010, 05:30 PM
As the title says, I can see the game on wednesday being near identical to the second half today. For this we need a bit more steel in midfield, for this I would start Cregg.

He came on today - albeit too late (Yogi - why was deek on the pitch so long? Bringing stokes off, a hard worker, eh no! Wrong move:grr:) and was making tackles, full of commitment and battle.

Utd have a strong midfield that we need to match with some strength to compete, and let our 'flair' players concentrate on creating some attacking options.

Opinions?

hibsbollah
27-03-2010, 05:33 PM
As the title says, I can see the game on wednesday being near identical to the second half today. For this we need a bit more steel in midfield, for this I would start Cregg.

He came on today - albeit too late (Yogi - why was deek on the pitch so long? Bringing stokes off, a hard worker, eh no! Wrong move:grr:) and was making tackles, full of commitment and battle.

Utd have a strong midfield that we need to match with some strength to compete, and let our 'flair' players concentrate on creating some attacking options.

Opinions?

I like Cregg and its only been McBride's form thats kept him out. We could do a lot worse than bring him in for Rankin, or even go 451 and bring Deeks off the bench if we need him...

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Opinions?

If Cregg plays I wouldn't start him instead of Riordan. Maybe ahead of Rankin or Nish though.

Golden Bear
27-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Opinions?

I think i'm right in saying that Paddy Cregg only signed a year contract so he'll have to prove himself either to Hibs or to other clubs between now and the end of the season.

He looked ok in the early games this season but seemed to fall out of favour thereafter.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I think i'm right in saying that Paddy Cregg only signed a year contract so he'll have to prove himself either to Hibs or to other clubs between now and the end of the season.

He looked ok in the early games this season but seemed to fall out of favour thereafter.

I think it was a one year deal he signed so it could be a great chance for him to prove himself. He was dropped after Miller came in and somehow or other Rankin jumped him in the pecking order as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Time for Hughes to try and find four ball winners to play midfield on Wednesday night. I would include Ian Murray as a player that could adapt to that role. We need to stop their midfielders and over-lapping full backs from getting too far up the park.

brydekirk
27-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Time for Hughes to try and find four ball winners to play midfield on Wednesday night. I would include Ian Murray as a player that could adapt to that role. We need to stop their midfielders and over-lapping full backs from getting too far up the park.
totally :agree: but with hanlon out it will be difficult

PeterboroHibee
27-03-2010, 06:33 PM
We have to go for a proper 4 man midfield, United will punish us if we dont. Dont think Yogis going to do that though, seems oblivious to us being constantly over run in midfield and clinging on like today.

Agree about someone like Cregg, doesnt have to be pretty, just need people who are willing to fight for every ball with Uniteds midfielders.

fife hfc
27-03-2010, 06:58 PM
We have to go for a proper 4 man midfield, United will punish us if we dont. Dont think Yogis going to do that though, seems oblivious to us being constantly over run in midfield and clinging on like today.
Agree about someone like Cregg, doesnt have to be pretty, just need people who are willing to fight for every ball with Uniteds midfielders.

:top marks I wish he would wake up and see what we are all seeing. this to me is the main reason we are struggling at the moment. We should get back to a conventional midfield four and I would drop deek. i think he is an excellent player but is not a fighter (unless up town on a saturday night:duck:). My midfield four would be Murray on the left (if hanlon is fit if not then swap galbraith), Miller and Cregg in the centre and Galbraith on right (Wotherspoon if galbraith has to swap). A more solid midfield four which I believe would fight all the way.

The Harp Awakes
27-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Cregg is one of the few battlers we have in midfield and I really can't understand why he's not been given much of a chance this season when we are so soft in the middle of the park.

Cregg should be a definite starter on Wednesay hopefully.

RoYO!
27-03-2010, 10:14 PM
i could only guess that somewhere along the line he must have peed yogi off as cregg is the type of player that we've been crying out for.

selkirkhibee
27-03-2010, 10:15 PM
i totally agree 442 deeks and stokes through middle

ArabHibee
27-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Cregg is one of the few battlers we have in midfield and I really can't understand why he's not been given much of a chance this season when we are so soft in the middle of the park.

Cregg should be a definite starter on Wednesay hopefully.

Cregg was gash when we played Motherwell in February.

keep the faith
28-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Clearly people are seeing a different Cregg than I have.

I think he has looked very very average when he has played. He is one I would be looking to empty at the end of the season.

Hibs90
28-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Cregg is pish. Think Yogi only signed him as a sort of 'old pals' act.

woodythehibee
28-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Cregg started up at Tannadice and was hooked in the first half or at HT.

I agree though, we need four proper midfielders or Gomis and Bauben will run the show.

As for the "old pals act", Cregg would have played more games if it wasn't for the late signing of Miller. Me and my mate also had the discussion that Cregg and McBride were probably also brought in so that Yogi could get his stamp on the club as he had two guys who would set the standards and expectations of Yogi. (possibly that's why Cregg got a 1 year deal)

Vini1875
28-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Nish will play because of height. I think Yogi has to set the team to counter dufc. I don't normally like as I would always hope Hibs would impose their style on the game, but we have not been imposing at all. We have to stop them from playing and hopefully nick opportunities.

Eaststand
28-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Cregg probably aint the most skillful guy I've ever seen, but he's a hard working battler who breaks up the opposition play and hassles their midfield, and I reckon that's where the battle will be won or lost on Wed nite
I hope yogi plays him, and also gives galbraith a run to stretch uniteds back line and not allow them time to play the ball forward

C'mon the cabbage

RIP
28-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Cannae pass a little wee aim is poor unable to dribble