PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dundee Utd attendance

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 04:56 PM
The attendance for high flying Dundee Utd, in a crunch match against Motherwell today was...

Shocking!

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:01 PM
The attendance for high flying Dundee Utd, in a crunch match against Motherwell today was...

Shocking!

Not really that bothered, however how did they get such a good team together on income from crowds a lot lower than us?

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Not really that bothered, however how did they get such a good team together on income from crowds a lot lower than us?

It may not bother you but the low crowds in the SPL does concern me.

Not sure what the answer is - especially when Dundee Utd can't get 10,000 for a crunch game when they are flying.

Lower prices would be a start.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:07 PM

They gave their manager time to build a team and didn't knee-jerk him out the door after he took them to 9th place in his 1st season.

BTW that good team's only 2 points ahead of us.

DC_Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Decent crowd for them based on last 5-10 seasons if not more.

10.000 for United v Motherwell is cloud cuckoo land.

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:10 PM
It may not bother you but the low crowds in the SPL does concern me.

Not sure what the answer is - especially when Dundee Utd can't get 10,000 for a crunch game when they are flying.

Lower prices would be a start.

Crowds are down everywhere in the SPL, except at the PBS if you believe in the figures they give out.

People are having to tighten their belts at this moment in time, a few years from now crowds may increase when we are in a better and more confident finiancial postion.

Not really sure about reducing prices, wage demands have to be met. Would be more inclined to see a better marketing of the game in the SPL.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Decent crowd for them based on last 5-10 seasons if not more.

10.000 for United v Motherwell is cloud cuckoo land.

You are no doubt right - I guess I'm just making a point. Have Dundee Utd ever had 10,000 home fans for a league game? Yet there they are paying wages similar to us and challenging for 3rd.

Is it a case of they are punching above their weight?

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:11 PM
They gave their manager time to build a team and didn't knee-jerk him out the door after he took them to 9th place in his 1st season.

BTW that good team's only 2 points ahead of us.

But light years ahead in terms of commitment and ability this season, oh and they are in the semi of the SC and will probably get to the final.

hibsdaft
27-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Not really sure about reducing prices, wage demands have to be met.

no they don't, where are all these 2nd rate scottish spl players going to leave us for?

drive down ticket prices, drive down the pay of over-inflated prima donna's = watch our game flourish.

imo.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
27-03-2010, 05:13 PM
How many Hibs fans were at Falkirk today? 500?

Wotherspiniesta
27-03-2010, 05:14 PM

:greengrin

Hurting today I see.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:14 PM
But light years ahead in terms of commitment and ability this season, oh and they are in the semi of the SC and will probably get to the final.

Maybe they will but they've been building for 3 years - Yogi's had 9 months.

Double that and add some on.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 05:15 PM

I'm sure I heard about 1100

noseyhibby

Shocking!

I agree. Another poor crowd for another 6 pointer game. Attendances are down everywhere, including at Tynecastle if they would count the same way as every one else. Harsh economics are kicking in. How the hell does a team on such limited income compete with ourselves -the mind boggles.

Sprouleflyer
no they don't, where are all these 2nd rate scottish spl players going to leave us for?

drive down ticket prices, drive down the pay of over-inflated prima donna's = watch our game flourish.

imo.

Eh, yes they do.

marinello59
Reducing prices doesn't work, it has been tried. It would need to be a drastic reduction to make any significant difference and clubs simply can't afford to do that. We suffer from being neighbours with the richest league(s) in the world. Relatively low TV money means admission money is vital to our clubs.

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe they will but they've been building for 3 years - Yogi's had 9 months.

Double that and add some on.

IMO Yogi's had a lot longer than 9 months. He had 5 years or so at Falkirk and 3-4 of them in the SPL and he has been given what would appear to be a bigger budget than Collins and Mixu as seen with players like Miller and Stokes at the club.

weecounty hibby
27-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Reducing prices doesn't work, it has been tried. It would need to be a drastic reduction to make any significant difference and clubs simply can't afford to do that. We suffer from being neighbours with the richest league(s) in the world. Relatively low TV money means admission money is vital to our clubs.
Where has it been tried? Certainly not by Hibs. I think Well tried it and it didn't work for them but they have a low fan base to work with. If it was tried at ER I think it would work as we have far more of a stay away support than them. I can't see the new east being anywhere near full on match days at the current prices.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:21 PM
IMO Yogi's had a lot longer than 9 months. He had 5 years or so at Falkirk and 3-4 of them in the SPL and he has been given what would appear to be a bigger budget than Collins and Mixu as seen with players like Miller and Stokes at the club.

You better add on how long Levein had at Cowdenbeath, Hearts and Leicester before his 3 years at United then?

marinello59
27-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Where has it been tried? Certainly not by Hibs. I think Well tried it and it didn't work for them but they have a low fan base to work with. If it was tried at ER I think it would work as we have far more of a stay away support than them. I can't see the new east being anywhere near full on match days at the current prices.

Motherwell and Killie both tried it.
Reduce prices at ER...........how you going to square that up with season ticket holders? And how much would you reduce them by? We would end up making a loss.

Albanian Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:25 PM

I feel your pain :jamboak:

FYI 1,011 Hibees were there today

weecounty hibby
27-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I would reduce ST prices as well. The more you get through the gate the more money will come in through programme sales, food, merchandise etc. better to have 15,000 paying £20 to get in than 11,000 paying £25. Add on the extra sales and there is more money coming in and a better atmosphere as well.

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:28 PM
You better add on how long Levein had at Cowdenbeath, Hearts and Leicester before his 3 years at United then?

Hmmm, playing like that!!!

Ok then Yogi 9 months, Peter Houston 3 months, who's better?

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Hmmm, playing like that!!!

Ok then Yogi 9 months, Peter Houston 3 months, who's better?

Yogi. Houston lost a game 7-1 in the last 3 months.

Hakim Sar
27-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Think 7600 is decent for a game in dundee tbh - hardly a big city and shouldn't have 2 teams!!!! plus Motherwell will be lucky to have taken 500 fans

marinello59
27-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I would reduce ST prices as well. The more you get through the gate the more money will come in through programme sales, food, merchandise etc. better to have 15,000 paying £20 to get in than 11,000 paying £25. Add on the extra sales and there is more money coming in and a better atmosphere as well.

You would have to sell a hell of a lot more merchandise etc to cover a significant reduction in prices. The club would lose money.
Reducing prices by a fiver will not attract another 4000 fans.

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Yogi. Houston lost a game 7-1 in the last 3 months.

Martin O'Neill lost 7-1 today, he must be crap as well :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Martin O'Neill lost 7-1 today, he must be crap as well :agree:

Compared to who? You're now comparing the SPL to the EPL.

Albanian Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Think 7600 is decent for a game in dundee tbh - hardly a big city and shouldn't have 2 teams!!!! plus Motherwell will be lucky to have taken 500 fans

:agree:

Sprouleflyer
27-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Compared to who? You're now comparing the SPL to the EPL.

I think you are just arguing the toss here.

A 7-1 loss does not make you a poor manager. Anyway Houston was only a caretaker manager that night, so that really does not count against him :wink:

johnrebus
27-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I am no fan of DUFC, but they've put together a pretty good side on average attendances of around 6,000 ( bar visits from the Infirm )

Mind you, they are due a gubbing from someone, lets hope its next midweek.....,

:pray:

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I think you are just arguing the toss here.

A 7-1 loss does not make you a poor manager. Anyway Houston was only a caretaker manager that night, so that really does not count against him :wink:

I might be but noone can tell me that Houston is a better manager than Yogi. He's still in a honeymoon period and has inherited a squad that Levein took 3 years to assemble.

iwasthere1972
27-03-2010, 06:12 PM

Shocking!

Don't forget that BBC Alba are showing the match at 8pm. Although it's a delayed transmission I have no doubt it would have some bearing on the attendance.

We know what Yogi will be watching tonight. :wink:

col02
27-03-2010, 06:14 PM

More than Hearts take to places that is for certain. Glad you have finally been outed as your negative pish was grating to say the least.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I think we have to go back to playing each other twice a year. The novelty element is missing when you play each other every two months or so.

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 06:36 PM
You are no doubt right - I guess I'm just making a point. Have Dundee Utd ever had 10,000 home fans for a league game? Yet there they are paying wages similar to us and challenging for 3rd.

Is it a case of they are punching above their weight?

The Arabs do NOT pay similar to Hibs. Their best whack is £2k p/w

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 06:38 PM
The Arabs do NOT pay similar to Hibs. Their best whack is £2k p/w

How many do we have on more than that?

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 06:40 PM

Shocking!

Meant to add that given how few Well would bring, I'd hazard a guess that as a % of population that's more than Hibs get. Sure some statto will comment

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 06:42 PM
How many do we have on more than that?

I know of at least 5

Andy74
27-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Levein said to yogi it took him 3 yrs to get the consistencyvand the desire in his squad. All that and only 2 ahead. If yogi is given 3 yrs I think we'll see a big swing ahead of them. They may not be spending now but they have been recently and will now gave to live more sensibly.

johnrebus
27-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I think we have to go back to playing each other twice a year. The novelty element is missing when you play each other every two months or so.

But Heart of Midlothian FC already are a novelty act, so how would this impact on them ?

Seems unfair

:dunno:

Nakedmanoncrack
27-03-2010, 07:04 PM

:agree:Of course it is, even in their greatest days in the early 80's they were playing to considerably smaller crowds.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Meant to add that given how few Well would bring, I'd hazard a guess that as a % of population that's more than Hibs get. Sure some statto will comment

Never quiet got this argument to defend their lower attendances than us.

Dundee United don't get their support only from the city of Dundee, that's like saying we only get our support from Leith.

On that point what is the population of Leith? I'd guess we get a higher % off support from our traditional home town than Dundee Utd get from theirs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Shocking!

That was more or less their average gate the year that they won the league. I would look at that figure another way and applaud the club for being well run and having such a decent team, without having huge gate receipts. That is roughly 85K less per home game in terms of revenue compared to us. Says more about Hibs than it does about Utd, I think.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 07:21 PM
That was more or less their average gate the year that they won the league. I would look at that figure another way and applaud the club for being well run and having such a decent team, without having huge gate receipts. That is roughly 85K less per home game in terms of revenue compared to us. Says more about Hibs than it does about Utd, I think.

Fair point and I also have to applaud Dundee Utd for being a very well run club with far lower resources than us.

Houchy
27-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I might be but noone can tell me that Houston is a better manager than Yogi. He's still in a honeymoon period and has inherited a squad that Levein took 3 years to assemble.

:agree: A lot of people forgetting that part. Whereas Yogi, while he's had tremendous backing by the board really didn't have much other than Bamba, Murray and Deeks.

sahib
27-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Dundee United don't get their support only from the city of Dundee, that's like saying we only get our support from Leith.

On that point what is the population of Leith? I'd guess we get a higher % off support from our traditional home town than Dundee Utd get from theirs.

Waffle alert! :wink:

iwasthere1972
27-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Waffle alert! :wink:

:agree: You beat me to it.

As Harry would put it "What a loada tosh" :greengrin

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Oh dear. If we took a 20 mile radius from Tannadeechee and ER, I reckon the population difference will be 3:1 at least in our favour. This should be Arabs attendence in perspective for you.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh dear. If we took a 20 mile radius from Tannadeechee and ER, I reckon the population difference will be 3:1 at least in our favour. This should be Arabs attendence in perspective for you.

I have a funny feeling you just made that stat up -unless you actually know the population of Leith v Dundee.

My point stands, in that we can't go on town/city populations to justify supports. Look at the Old firm as a prime example - Glasgow has a population of less than 100,000 more than Edinburgh yet they get far bigger crowds than Hibs and Hearts. Why - because their support isn't just from Glasgow.

So to the Victor Meldrews who claim I am waffling without actually understanding my point....shove it up yer :asshole:

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I have a funny feeling you just made that stat up -unless you actually know the population of Leith v Dundee.

My point stands, in that we can't go on town/city populations to justify supports. Look at the Old firm as a prime example - Glasgow has a population of less than 100,000 more than Edinburgh yet they get far bigger crowds than Hibs and Hearts. Why - because their support isn't just from Glasgow.

So to the Victor Meldrews who claim I am waffling without actually understanding my point....shove it up yer :asshole:

Naebody is disputing the Glasgow point - the discussion was Arabs attendance, and then a comparison to ours. Neither of us draw fans in the Bigot Brothers

Here's official Government figs on populations, and Dundee is less than 1/3 of Edinburgh's:

http://www.scotland.org/about/fact-file/population/

Population 5,168,500
Scotland's Cities – Populations
Glasgow 577,980
Edinburgh 446,110
Aberdeen 179,950
Dundee 141,930
Inverness 42,400
Stirling 33,060
Which proves the point that per % of population their attendances are better than ours.

You can stop talking oot yer erchie noo :wink: :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Naebody is disputing the Glasgow point - the discussion was Arabs attendance, and then a comparison to ours. Neither of us draw fans in the Bigot Brothers

Here's official Government figs on populations, and Dundee is less than 1/3 of Edinburgh's:

http://www.scotland.org/about/fact-file/population/ (http://www.scotland.org/about/fact-file/population/)

Population 5,168,500
Scotland's Cities – Populations
Glasgow 577,980
Edinburgh 446,110
Aberdeen 179,950
Dundee 141,930
Inverness 42,400
Stirling 33,060
Which proves the point that per % of population there attendances are better than ours.

You can stop talking oot yer erchie noo :wink: :greengrin

Again you miss my point (this may be my fault for not making it clear).

I was trying to highlight, that if people wish to justify a poor support on their traditional catchment area (Dundee Utd - the city of Dundee, Hibernian, Leith) then Hibernian are a very well supported team. What is the population of Leith compared to Dundee (I'm being old school granted as Leith did become part of Edinburgh in the late 1930's but this is the traditional Hibernian heartland) .

I'd hazard a guess that Dundee is far bigger?

However my point is that Hibs DON'T just gather their support from the Leith area and Dundee Utd DON'T just gather their support from the city of Dundee.

In the end of the day clubs are what they are....Hibernian is a bigger supported club than Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc etc.

I guess this is why I respect Dundee utd because they regularly perform better than those clubs with similar support to themselves.

So I think your bum has talked enough my friend :)

Del Boy
27-03-2010, 11:13 PM

spot on, much higher %. Dundee has a population of about 150,000 I think.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:21 PM
spot on, much higher %. Dundee has a population of about 150,000 I think.

And if Dundee Utd are using the "we only have supporters from Dundee" line. Then Hibernian only gain her support from Leith population 50,000 ( ok I made that bit up hehe)

Removed
27-03-2010, 11:23 PM
And if Dundee Utd are using the "we only have supporters from Dundee" line. Then Hibernian only gain her support from Leith population 50,000 ( ok I made that bit up hehe)

:confused: But I know a Dundee Utd supporter who claims not to be from Dundee. Someone explain that one :confused:

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:25 PM
:confused: But I know a Dundee Utd supporter who claims not to be from Dundee. Someone explain that one :confused:

Eh isn't that my point?

Removed
27-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Eh isn't that my point?

And you've totally missed mine...............whoosh :greengrin

And your point is baws anyway. Our core support is from Edinburgh and the Lothians, not just Leith and add in a few from over the Forth and West of Bathgate plus the odd mackem.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:37 PM
And you've totally missed mine...............whoosh :greengrin

And your point is baws anyway. Our core support is from Edinburgh and the Lothians, not just Leith and add in a few from over the Forth and West of Bathgate plus the odd mackem.

Doh!!

Isn't that exactly my point?

Have you actually read this thread?

lol

Removed
27-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Doh!!

Isn't that exactly my point?

Have you actually read this thread?

lol

Eh, yes.

You slagged the Arabs home crowd and tried to compare the populations of Dundee against Leith as some sort of justification for that when in reality we have even more piss poor home crowds for the size of our city.

Do you actually know what your point is?

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Eh, yes.

You slagged the Arabs home crowd and tried to compare the populations of Dundee against Leith as some sort of justification for that when in reality we have even more piss poor home crowds for the size of our city.

Do you actually know what your point is?

I honestly think some people on this MB would post white if some posted black.

Please re-read as you are arguing with yourself!!

My point has always been that Hibs have a better support than Dundee Utd, Killie, Motherwell etc

My point also is that those clubs (Dundee Utd included) can't pull the Dundee is smaller than Edinburgh line as they have support from other areas (not just Dundee).

If Dundee United claim only to have support from Dundee then Hibernian can claim only to have support from Leith.

Now what is you point again (head-wall-bang)

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 11:49 PM
(head-wall-bang)

What happened to that smilie? It used to annoy me but it was handy on occasion.

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:50 PM
What happened to that smilie? It used to annoy me but it was handy on occasion.

lol - that made me spill my booze :wink:

ArabHibee
27-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Seeing as we're talking about my 2 teams here, I'll pitch in as well.

I would say that Hibs have a higher number of fans who do not live in the Edinburgh area compared with the number of Dundee United fans that do not live in the Dundee area.

Hibs will also have a higher number of fans who live in Edinburgh area compared with the number of Dundee United fans that do live in the Dundee area.

And to be honest with you, United -v- Motherwell is hardly a crowd-puller!

Confused? Well, in conclusion, I state that Roxburgh is pished and talking drivel, and needs to go to his bed! :greengrin

Removed
27-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Shocking!

I honestly think some people on this MB would post white if some posted black.

Please re-read as you are arguing with yourself!!

My point has always been that Hibs have a better support than Dundee Utd, Killie, Motherwell etc

My point also is that those clubs (Dundee Utd included) can't pull the Dundee is smaller than Edinburgh line as they have support from other areas (not just Dundee).

If Dundee United claim only to have support from Dundee then Hibernian can claim only to have support from Leith.

Now what is you point again (head-wall-bang)

Why start a thread slagging Dundee Utd's home support when ours is pish :brickwall

RoxburghHibs
27-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Why start a thread slagging Dundee Utd's home support when ours is pish :brickwall

In Scottish football terms I don't agree.

13,000 (or just under) is 4th largest in Scotland

I Love Lamp
27-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Not trying to be a w@*k about this but is using cheap lines about attendances as a means of diverting attention from inferior performance in other areas not the preserve of a pink/brown strip-wearing shower of dustbin-lickers :greengrin ?

Having said that, and as some have already alluded to, I believe Dundee Utd have some problems with debt which meant they weren't able to pay the compo to St J for McInnes or to Bohemians for Pat Fenlon as a replacement for Levein.

Removed
28-03-2010, 12:00 AM
In Scottish football terms I don't agree.

13,000 (or just under) is 4th largest in Scotland

Ignoring Cat A games we've had nowhere near 13K for months and how many threads have there been on here lately slagging our home crowds and piss poor atmosphere.

Lets get out own house in order before we slag any other SPL team.

RoxburghHibs
28-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Ignoring Cat A games we've had nowhere near 13K for months

And ignoring Cat A - how many in Scotland have?

Removed
28-03-2010, 12:11 AM
And ignoring Cat A - how many in Scotland have?

Can I ask why you are so negative?

:faf: How am I being negative? :crazy:

Why are you starting threads slagging Dundee Utd's home crowd when we all know that crowds in Scotland are down and the recession is affecting football. What point are you trying to make?

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Levein said to yogi it took him 3 yrs to get the consistencyvand the desire in his squad. All that and only 2 ahead. If yogi is given 3 yrs I think we'll see a big swing ahead of them. They may not be spending now but they have been recently and will now gave to live more sensibly.

:top marks

CMac1988
28-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Class post :thumbsup:.

On a side note though, Hibs avg attendance this season is 12,637 (spl site, and avg of home attendancies via Hibs site). Shouldn't this be more concerning?

Do we blame it on the economy? The quality on display is alot better than it was under Mixu (albeit recent form isn't great) yet the avg home attendance is pretty much bang on, bar a few games that have yet to be played. end of season 08/09 = 12,684.

Out of interest Dundee Utd are pretty much the same with an avg attendance so far of 7543, even though they are sitting 3rd. Last season the finished with an avg attendance of 8654.

Both teams should still be realistically competing for 3rd this season, yet by the end of the season the crowds will be pretty much the same. Both clubs have improved and yet the attendancies haven't.

Hopefully the new stand, a good summer clear out, and some fresh faces will bring the crowds in next season... A european spot wouldn't go a miss either though :wink:.

p.s. avg's only from home league games.

Gatecrasher
28-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Seeing as we're talking about my 2 teams here, I'll pitch in as well.

I would say that Hibs have a higher number of fans who do not live in the Edinburgh area compared with the number of Dundee United fans that do not live in the Dundee area.

Hibs will also have a higher number of fans who live in Edinburgh area compared with the number of Dundee United fans that do live in the Dundee area.

And to be honest with you, United -v- Motherwell is hardly a crowd-puller!

Confused? Well, in conclusion, I state that Roxburgh is pished and talking drivel, and needs to go to his bed! :greengrinSo who you supportin on Wednesday then?

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Again you miss my point (this may be my fault for not making it clear).

I was trying to highlight, that if people wish to justify a poor support on their traditional catchment area (Dundee Utd - the city of Dundee, Hibernian, Leith) then Hibernian are a very well supported team. What is the population of Leith compared to Dundee (I'm being old school granted as Leith did become part of Edinburgh in the late 1930's but this is the traditional Hibernian heartland) .

I'd hazard a guess that Dundee is far bigger?

However my point is that Hibs DON'T just gather their support from the Leith area and Dundee Utd DON'T just gather their support from the city of Dundee.

In the end of the day clubs are what they are....Hibernian is a bigger supported club than Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc etc.

I guess this is why I respect Dundee utd because they regularly perform better than those clubs with similar support to themselves.

So I think your bum has talked enough my friend :)

:faf: whataloadapish!

Nae wonder yer gettin a roasting! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 04:54 AM

Send me that quote Andy.

Out of interest did CL sign a 3-year deal with Scotland (genuine question I havenae checked)?

Agree about the future though as their goosed financially. Debt of £6M and no real means of repayment unless they flog their best players. I think the Levein compo went straight to the bank, and the compo for Fenlon was less than was published too.

basehibby
28-03-2010, 09:42 AM

That's got to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this board - how on earth do Yogi's 5 years with Falkirk have any bearing whatsoever on the building of a new squad and a new ethos at ER??? :bitchy::crazy:

blackpoolhibs
28-03-2010, 09:49 AM
That's got to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this board - how on earth do Yogi's 5 years with Falkirk have any bearing whatsoever on the building of a new squad and a new ethos at ER??? :bitchy::crazy:

You couldnae make this **** up.:faf:

jonty
28-03-2010, 10:23 AM
There would have been a few train loads of supporters heading to tynecastle and celtic park from dundee yesterday.

Andy74
28-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Send me that quote Andy.

Out of interest did CL sign a 3-year deal with Scotland (genuine question I havenae checked)?

Agree about the future though as their goosed financially. Debt of £6M and no real means of repayment unless they flog their best players. I think the Levein compo went straight to the bank, and the compo for Fenlon was less than was published too.

No I read it ages ago you can look for it if you are that bothered.

How many dundee utd v Dundee games have you been to, out of interest?

iwasthere1972
28-03-2010, 12:41 PM

You're still a waffle. :bye:

The_Todd
28-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Knocking other teams is a particularly nasty Yam habit. The only stat that matters is the league table.

Cut it out!

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 01:17 PM
No I read it ages ago you can look for it if you are that bothered.

How many dundee utd v Dundee games have you been to, out of interest?

One .. Dundee 1-2 United .. season Dees went down 4/5 years ago now. Why?

greenlex
28-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I was at Dens in 83 when utd won the league. :na na: One and only tayside derby attended.

ArabHibee
28-03-2010, 01:21 PM
So who you supportin on Wednesday then?

I will be in the South Stand on Wednesday night. :cool2:

I was at Dens in 83 when utd won the league. :greengrin One and only tayside derby

So was I! :thumbsup:(but not my only Dundee derby)

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I will be in the South Stand on Wednesday night. :cool2:

With a green n white scarf?

I'll be at hospy at Tanna on Wed 14 April v Huns. I'll need to be closet Hun for the night - boak!

ArabHibee
28-03-2010, 01:43 PM
With a green n white scarf?

I don't wear colours to the football. :wink:

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Cannae see the quote. Did you make it up? :greengrin

Interesting Levein is now the Oracle though.

What happens if Neil Lennon wins the Scottish and says any good manager should make an instant impact?

I wanted to see if the article made reference to motivation, midfield, ball-retention etc?

Seriously, of course, I hope Yogi does 3 years+ as it should mean we're winning and playing well. But the football MUST improve or the attendences will suffer* once that happens you're goosed (ala Blobby, Mixup and most recently Monkeyheid at Darkheid).

* should add inflation-busting hikes in STs aint gonna help the man!

Andy74
28-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Because you seem to talk up everything tayside football related whilst talking us down. I'd wondered then if you'd spent more time at tayside derbies than at edinbugh ones and I see it's even at one each.

jakedance
28-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Talking about average attendances is a very yamish thing to do. The only thing worth boasting about in football is victories/league positions/trophies won.

Brizo
28-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I get the impression that theres an ever bigger percentage of OF armchair glory hunters in Dundee (particularly of the Celtc variety) than there is in Embra. Could that be a factor why (even allowing for it being a small city with two teams) Dundee Utd have never got big crowds ?

RoxburghHibs
28-03-2010, 03:23 PM
:faf: whataloadapish!

Nae wonder yer gettin a roasting! :greengrin

It would help if you took the time to actually read a thread and understand it.

If you read back it was you who stated that Dundee Utd get a better % of support for their population (post 38) than Hibs.

My point was/is that if you are to use the argument that Dundee Utd only have support from the city of Dundee, then Hibs fans could also say they only get support from the town of Leith. However I did also state that IMHO both clubs DO NOT only get support from Dundee and Leith so this argument is flawed.

Actually on second thoughts, don't bother as you seem hell bent on abusing me so please just don't read this thread and move on.

RoxburghHibs
28-03-2010, 03:26 PM
You're still a waffle. :bye:

Thanks for your input to this "discussion"

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Because you seem to talk up everything tayside football related whilst talking us down. I'd wondered then if you'd spent more time at tayside derbies than at edinbugh ones and I see it's even at one each.

I'm selective with my games - I have to be given other commitments. Been to one OF game also.

You'll recognise selective as you do it with your replies :wink:

And staying 15-20 mins from Dens/Tanna - work is 5 mins away - with regular invites to go I take an interest.

K.Marx
28-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Shocking!

hardly shocking, Even when we were flying high earlier in the season we were hardly getting more than 10,000 Hibees through the gates

IWasThere2016
28-03-2010, 07:10 PM
It would help if you took the time to actually read a thread and understand it.

If you read back it was you who stated that Dundee Utd get a better % of support for their population (post 38) than Hibs.

My point was/is that if you are to use the argument that Dundee Utd only have support from the city of Dundee, then Hibs fans could also say they only get support from the town of Leith. However I did also state that IMHO both clubs DO NOT only get support from Dundee and Leith so this argument is flawed.

Actually on second thoughts, don't bother as you seem hell bent on abusing me so please just don't read this thread and move on.

Sorry you've taken offense at my comments. They are back up with facts though :wink: I don't see any support for your point others - just confirmation of my points and dissing of yours. Good evening!

New Corrie
28-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Shocking!

Crunch in what way? We had under 1100 for a top flight game against Partick Thistle....what exactly are you implying?

DH1875
28-03-2010, 07:46 PM
hardly shocking, Even when we were flying high earlier in the season we were hardly getting more than 10,000 Hibees through the gates

And you would be surprised at how many of them don't come from Edinburgh let alone Leith.
I also know a UTD fan who isn't from Dundee, wonder if its the same one.

RoxburghHibs
28-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Sorry you've taken offense at my comments. They are back up with facts though :wink: I don't see any support for your point others - just confirmation of my points and dissing of yours. Good evening!

<in Radio2 Chris Evans show style voice> WRONG!!

Your point is that Dundee United support is better than Hibs - going on % of population of where they get their traditional support.

You say Dundee United get their support from the City of Dundee (population was about 150k - sorry can't be @rsed looking back to get the exact figure you quoted :greengrin).

I disagree - Dundee United supporters do come from the city of Dundee, granted however they also come from the surrounding area in Tayside. As well as other parts of Scotland.

Hibernian DO NOT only have support in Leith (population 75,000 - ok ok I made that figure up :devil:. But it can't be far out) We get our support from all parts of Edinburgh, the Lothians etc etc.

However even if I was to agree with your point 12,500 from 75,000 is clearly far better than 7,500 from 75,000 (assuming Dundee FC also have half the support of the city - my god this is getting complex :cool2:)

So that's my point clear :greengrin - remind me what your point is as I'm starting to think you don't have one?

RoxburghHibs
28-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Crunch in what way? We had under 1100 for a top flight game against Partick Thistle....what exactly are you implying?

You've totally lost me sorry :confused:

Removed
28-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Your point is that Dundee United support is better than Hibs - going on % of population of where they get their traditional support.

You say Dundee United get their support from the City of Dundee (population was about 150k - sorry can't be @rsed looking back to get the exact figure you quoted :greengrin).

I disagree - Dundee United supporters do come from the city of Dundee, granted however they also come from the surrounding area in Tayside. As well as other parts of Scotland.

Hibernian DO NOT only have support in Leith (population 75,000 - ok ok I made that figure up :devil:. But it can't be far out) We get our support from all parts of Edinburgh, the Lothians etc etc.

However even if I was to agree with your point 12,500 from 75,000 is clearly far better than 7,500 from 75,000 (assuming Dundee FC also have half the support of the city - my god this is getting complex :cool2:)

So that's my point clear :greengrin - remind me what your point is as I'm starting to think you don't have one?

:faf: I thought the drink would have worn off buy now

ArabHibee
28-03-2010, 10:18 PM
And you would be surprised at how many of them don't come from Edinburgh let alone Leith.
I also know a UTD fan who isn't from Dundee, wonder if its the same one.

I don't know you, sorry.

You've totally lost me sorry :confused:

Think you lost everyone with your 1st post tbh.

Crazyhorse
28-03-2010, 11:27 PM

I suppose a key issue is that the Arabs haven't really spent any thing on infrastructure for a couple of decades so they can spend a greater proportion of their income on their team. Hibs when they pay off the new stand will hopefully have no other large scale projects to fund and can then get in better quality players.

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 06:08 AM

Shocking!

WTF is your obsession with our crowds, believe it or not Motherwell brought their biggest away support of the decade to Tannadice, 600-700, usually they bring 200-300, and that was actually the biggest home gate we have had against them in 19 home league games this decade.

We have the 6th largest home support in the country, its not big but its been consistant for decades in good or bad times, never averaged below 7k and the absolute highest was 12800 which wasnt the norm, league winning year it was over 11k.

Usually we'd be averaging 8-9k on a season like this but this season has seen a down turn for everyone which was always going to happen given the current climate, ours are still holding up well and we will finish the season with an average of above 8k yet again but wont quite reach 8600 like last season.

Why a Hibs fan has the cheek to have a go i have no idea though, per head of population then we have nothing to be ashamed of compared to most, especially if you talk away support (ours varies but is always vocal:agree:)

resident_Arab
29-03-2010, 06:18 AM
I suppose a key issue is that the Arabs haven't really spent any thing on infrastructure for a couple of decades so they can spend a greater proportion of their income on their team. Hibs when they pay off the new stand will hopefully have no other large scale projects to fund and can then get in better quality players.

We havent spent more than Hibs on players or wages, its been done on a moderate budget through shrewd signings on smaller wages mixed with good loans, we cut our wagebill when Brewster was manager and got all the high earners off the bill and Levein continued this when he took over when we were bottom of the league 12 games into 2006/07

Hibs were the envy of Utd fans for a couple years in 2004-2006, we were woeful then, im just glad we have got our act together and can compete with yourselves at the right end of the league after a real poor 6 year spell for us prior to Levein taking over, we have been the 3rd best side overall in that period(most consistant) but not by much and havent actually finished 3rd in a season as yet

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 06:27 AM
:faf: I thought the drink would have worn off buy now

Clearly been topping up! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 06:35 AM

Dear Lord!

You drew comparison of Leith to Dundee - not me. I compared 20 miles radius and if we look at towns within this the population around Edinburgh dwarfes Dundee's by hundreds of thousands. This makes Hibs crowds - as a percentage of population SMALLER than the Arabs. So your point is pish - as has been pointed out by me and others. You seem unable to grasp this.

I respectfully suggest you show this thread to someone with joined up brain cells and ask them to draw you a picture (slowly) so you u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d :wink:

RoxburghHibs
29-03-2010, 08:36 AM
WTF is your obsession with our crowds, believe it or not Motherwell brought their biggest away support of the decade to Tannadice, 600-700, usually they bring 200-300, and that was actually the biggest home gate we have had against them in 19 home league games this decade.

We have the 6th largest home support in the country, its not big but its been consistant for decades in good or bad times, never averaged below 7k and the absolute highest was 12800 which wasnt the norm, league winning year it was over 11k.

Usually we'd be averaging 8-9k on a season like this but this season has seen a down turn for everyone which was always going to happen given the current climate, ours are still holding up well and we will finish the season with an average of above 8k yet again but wont quite reach 8600 like last season.

Why a Hibs fan has the cheek to have a go i have no idea though, per head of population then we have nothing to be ashamed of compared to most, especially if you talk away support (ours varies but is always vocal:agree:)

Ok all fair points - and you are 100% correct other than I hardly class one thread as being obsessed. It was just an observation that I felt Dundee Utd could pull in more supporters than 6000. I apologise for the strength of my opening post - the use of the word shocking is way of the mark and one I regret. Dissapointing would have been more appropriate word.

Again as previously mentioned, if Dundee Utd are to pull the per head argument then Hibernian are a very well supported club IMHO.

Hibernian originally pulled her support from the town of Leith (I think it was the late 1930's when the town was merged into Edinburgh, but don't quote me on that :greengrin). I guess this is me just being a Leith lad and still seeing Leith as a town on it's own right.

But the reality is Hibs don't just pull support from the Leith area and Dundee U don't just pull their support from the city of Dundee.

RoxburghHibs
29-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Dear Lord!

You drew comparison of Leith to Dundee - not me. I compared 20 miles radius and if we look at towns within this the population around Edinburgh dwarfes Dundee's by hundreds of thousands. This makes Hibs crowds - as a percentage of population SMALLER than the Arabs. So your point is pish - as has been pointed out by me and others. You seem unable to grasp this.

I respectfully suggest you show this thread to someone with joined up brain cells and ask them to draw you a picture (slowly) so you u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d :wink:

WTF?

If you are to compare areas, why not the town/city the clubs traditionally are from? Where on earth you get a 20 mile radius goodness knows - that is utter tosh and if you can't see that then there is no point discussing this with you. :faf:

As I keep saying, and you keep ignoring, Hibernian DO NOT only gain support from Leith and Dundee Utd DO NOT only gain support from Dundee....if you believe this then you are deluded.

Dundee Utd also gain support from the Tayside region and beyond. Hibernian gain support from the Edinburgh area and beyond.

In the end of the day Hibernian are a larger supported club...excuses as to why or whats is IMHO just that.

So please stop talking p1sh

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 11:09 AM
WTF?

If you are to compare areas, why not the town/city the clubs traditionally are from? Where on earth you get a 20 mile radius goodness knows - that is utter tosh and if you can't see that then there is no point discussing this with you. :faf:

As I keep saying, and you keep ignoring, Hibernian DO NOT only gain support from Leith and Dundee Utd DO NOT only gain support from Dundee....if you believe this then you are deluded.

Dundee Utd also gain support from the Tayside region and beyond. Hibernian gain support from the Edinburgh area and beyond.

In the end of the day Hibernian are a larger supported club...excuses as to why or whats is IMHO just that.

So please stop talking p1sh

Got yer PM - and replied. We can agree to stop havering :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
29-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Got yer PM - and replied. We can agree to stop havering :wink:

Good shout - let's stop all this crap and everyone concentrate on getting behind United on Wednesday...

Removed
29-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Good shout - let's stop all this crap and everyone concentrate on getting behind United on Wednesday...

Aye, mon the Arabs :greengrin

How about a predictor competition for how many fans they'll bring :devil:

RoxburghHibs
29-03-2010, 11:56 AM

:faf:

Ok havering stopped - until my next post at least :wink:

WindyMiller
29-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Send me that quote Andy.

As Stephen Thompson said back in January..........

"I suppose deep down our vision for the club is probably the same," he says. "I want the club to be successful on the park. My father probably went too far looking for that success.

"I'm trying to get the balance right between success on the park and success off it. They've got to go hand in hand otherwise the club won't be here in years to come. It's important I get the club back financially stable. It would make my life a lot easier.

"I think everybody wants the best, but we've all got restrictions on what we can work with. We have got £6.4million worth of debt which I would prefer we didn't have, to say the least. My father spent £5million in total (on the club]. You can't do that for ever – not just for the sake of my family, for the sake of the club. No club can rely on one benefactor. It's so dangerous. The game's littered with it."

iwasthere1972
29-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Ok all fair points - and you are 100% correct other than I hardly class one thread as being obsessed. It was just an observation that I felt Dundee Utd could pull in more supporters than 6000. I apologise for the strength of my opening post - the use of the word shocking is way of the mark and one I regret. Dissapointing would have been more appropriate word.

Again as previously mentioned, if Dundee Utd are to pull the per head argument then Hibernian are a very well supported club IMHO.

Hibernian originally pulled her support from the town of Leith (I think it was the late 1930's when the town was merged into Edinburgh, but don't quote me on that :greengrin). I guess this is me just being a Leith lad and still seeing Leith as a town on it's own right.

But the reality is Hibs don't just pull support from the Leith area and Dundee U don't just pull their support from the city of Dundee.

:agree: No sign of waffles this time.

jgl07
29-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't forget that BBC Alba are showing the match at 8pm. Although it's a delayed transmission I have no doubt it would have some bearing on the attendance.
Do you really think so?

How many people can get BBC Alba?

It's only available on Sky and Freesat.

It is not available on Virgin Media or Freeview.

In most cases people will have to watch the match on a computer screen.

So you would avoid going to the match so that you could watch it on a small screen, constantly stopping to refresh with a commentary in Gallic three hours after the match had finished?

Crazyhorse
29-03-2010, 01:33 PM
We havent spent more than Hibs on players or wages, its been done on a moderate budget through shrewd signings on smaller wages mixed with good loans, we cut our wagebill when Brewster was manager and got all the high earners off the bill and Levein continued this when he took over when we were bottom of the league 12 games into 2006/07

Hibs were the envy of Utd fans for a couple years in 2004-2006, we were woeful then, im just glad we have got our act together and can compete with yourselves at the right end of the league after a real poor 6 year spell for us prior to Levein taking over, we have been the 3rd best side overall in that period(most consistant) but not by much and havent actually finished 3rd in a season as yet

You are missing my point. Maybe they spend similar amounts at the moment but in the future Hibs should be able to spend much more (once the cost of the East stand/East Mains is paid off).

The Old Brigade
29-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Talking about average attendances is a very yamish thing to do. The only thing worth boasting about in football is victories/league positions/trophies won.

I am sorry but this is nonsense, attendances interest fans of all clubs as they are an integral part of the social history and context of football, particuarly those who like numbers. The idea that fans of one club have a unique interest is insulting.

The idea that only winning/success is worth boasting about is wrong too -why do you think Man U fans are so unhappy at moment? Plus many would sacrifice statsitical success for a better atmosphere and stewarding at their home ground (as I suspect many Hibs fans are finding now the East Stand has gone but this applies to many fans of all SPL clubs).

The Old Brigade
29-03-2010, 08:23 PM
WTF?

Problem is we have a lot of fans who seem to think everyone should support their local team only and do not want to admit that Hibs are one of many clubs whose support is not only local.

The Old Brigade
29-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Can I ask when (I am not disputing you remember crowds at ER for league games far less than what Dundee United got on Saturday in 2000s and 1990s) - I recall Hibs getting 1800 v Killie in 1980 but nothing less than that?

The_Todd
29-03-2010, 08:28 PM
if we really really must slate attendances, how about the fact only 400 Wigan fans made the short trip to Man City tonight when we can take almost treble to Falkirk? That's a more interesting comparison.

hibeedonald
29-03-2010, 08:45 PM
wigan brought 189 to spurs last season:faf:

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 09:15 PM
As Stephen Thompson said back in January..........

"I suppose deep down our vision for the club is probably the same," he says. "I want the club to be successful on the park. My father probably went too far looking for that success.

"I'm trying to get the balance right between success on the park and success off it. They've got to go hand in hand otherwise the club won't be here in years to come. It's important I get the club back financially stable. It would make my life a lot easier.

"I think everybody wants the best, but we've all got restrictions on what we can work with. We have got £6.4million worth of debt which I would prefer we didn't have, to say the least. My father spent £5million in total (on the club]. You can't do that for ever – not just for the sake of my family, for the sake of the club. No club can rely on one benefactor. It's so dangerous. The game's littered with it."

He's no as daft as folks say.

Removed
29-03-2010, 09:16 PM
FFS this thread is getting worse. Why are we slagging any other teams home/away support never mind the Arabs :bitchy:

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 09:21 PM

ArabHibee'll give you a tangerine n black scarf D. Hibs better effing win - local Arabs daeing ma nut in! :grr:

I'll need to emigrate if they win the Scottish! :boo hoo:

ArabHibee
29-03-2010, 10:01 PM
ArabHibee'll give you a tangerine n black scarf D. Hibs better effing win - local Arabs daeing ma nut in! :grr:

:greengrin

Diclonius
29-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Where?

Carnoustie's an OF hotbed with a few Arabs here and there and the odd Dee if pressed - can't imagine Moni being much better. :greengrin

ArabHibee
29-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Where?

Carnoustie's an OF hotbed with a few Arabs here and there and the odd Dee if pressed - can't imagine Moni being much better. :greengrin

Well it did used to be part of Dundee.

IWasThere2016
29-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Work mostly! Golf club also!

CMON THE HIBS! :thumbsup: