PDA

View Full Version : Redknapp quote that may apply......

Hamish
27-03-2010, 09:59 AM
"Fans don't realise what a part they play in lifting the team. If you're going to be a successful club, then when things go wrong, your fans have got to lift you.

Supposedly some Spurs fans booed the team off at half time on Wed

bighairyfaeleith
27-03-2010, 10:02 AM
whats your point ?

Hamish
27-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I think the quote is self-explanatory

--------
27-03-2010, 10:05 AM
"Fans don't realise what a part they play in lifting the team. If you're going to be a successful club, then when things go wrong, your fans have got to lift you.

That would figure.

But I've followed Hibs for nearly half a century, and I've never known a season when the 'fans' - or at least a sizeable section of them - weren't just itching to get on the team's back. That's either the team as a whole, or individual scapegoats....

basehibby
27-03-2010, 10:06 AM
whats your point ?

You can't be seriously stating that this doesn't apply to Hibs as much as any club :confused:

Hamish
27-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Fair point - i just feel it is worse than 'normal' this season

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 10:08 AM

It's true, and I have never been too impressed at our supporters abilty to do that. The one time I can remember it was in the 80s, when we were so sh*t we used to applaud corners, and getting a goal - any goal - would have been an excuse for an open topped bus.

Supporters take out their frustrations on the players too much. I have yet to read a book which says telling someone they are crap leads to them improving performance. It's like the myth about playing Sunshine on Leith lifts the players - evidence suggests otherwise.

I'm going through today, and I fully expect an unpleasant atmosphere in our end. I'm certain some people are going with one thought on their mind, to lay into the players. Funny thing is they disappear like Yam planning permission the minute Hibs go into the lead.

IWasThere2016
27-03-2010, 10:08 AM
That would figure.

But I've followed Hibs for nearly half a century, and I've never known a season when the 'fans' - or at least a sizeable section of them - weren't just itching to get on the team's back. That's either the team as a whole, or individual scapegoats....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:wink: :greengrin

Captain Trips
27-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Of course a player or manager will say that why would you want anything else, I will say that in our case and in probably every team we have backed them superbly right from the off and they have been dreadful.

So im dont fully agree with Redknapp if things are not going well I expect people on 4,5 or 6 figure a week wages to be able to sort it.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Of course a player or manager will say that why would you want anything else, I will say that in our case and in probably every team we have backed them superbly right from the off and they have been dreadful.

So im dont fully agree with Redknapp if things are not going well I expect people on 4,5 or 6 figure a week wages to be able to sort it.

In modern Britain, higher salaries do not bring higher responsibility. Look at the incompetents who still make big money at the banks.

In the old days a manager could punt a player who wasn't doing the business any time he wanted. The thought of getting shipped off to Huddersfield or York City was usually enough of a kick up the erchie to lift their game.

Now, post-Bosman, they know their salary is guaranteed for as long as they are prepared to sit it out. That's why Yogi saying "shape up or ship out" must have had them laughing all the way to their Bentleys.

Hamish
27-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Don't feel its anything to do with how much you get paid, surely if the rest of the staff in your workplace brought thier friends and family to stand behind you and denegrate your performance, you would find your attitude and work quality ebbing away?

Hibbyradge
27-03-2010, 10:18 AM
I used to get irritated by the folk who argue, "I've paid my money, I'll call them any names I want", but I now feel sorry for them.

It's a shame as they're clearly confused.

That's consenting prostitutes they're thinking of, not football players.

Captain Trips
27-03-2010, 10:23 AM
In modern Britain, higher salaries do not bring higher responsibility. Look at the incompetents who still make big money at the banks.

In the old days a manager could punt a player who wasn't doing the business any time he wanted. The thought of getting shipped off to Huddersfield or York City was usually enough of a kick up the erchie to lift their game.

Now, post-Bosman, they know their salary is guaranteed for as long as they are prepared to sit it out. That's why Yogi saying "shape up or ship out" must have had them laughing all the way to their Bentleys.

I see that however there are people employed at the club are there to do a job, ie win matches, it is fully up to them to do this. The support has been there over last few weeks IMO given full encorgement against Hearts so there is nothing more that the support can do, easy to put responsability onto others.

DoonTheSlope
Hamish I agree fully with the statement.
I will be at Falkirk today and I was at Dingwall in mid week cheering the team on and I believe that we the supporters should be getting behind the boys and giving them encouragement.
It was only a couple of months ago we were talking abut splitting the old firm and shared the best defensive record in the UK. We do have ability in the squad as the first half of the season proves.
The last thing the boys need is the supporters turning against them.

only my thoughts mind!!

Phil D. Rolls
Don't feel its anything to do with how much you get paid, surely if the rest of the staff in your workplace brought thier friends and family to stand behind you and denegrate your performance, you would find your attitude and work quality ebbing away?

I've often thought that if I wanted some work done on my house, I'd recruit tradesmen from Easter Road. They must be very good at their jobs, and would be able to respond to my erratic and tempermental outbursts without batting an eyelid.

I can't imagine many people who would put up with some of the nonsense supporters shout.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Eehhh didnt do Spurs much harm...they came out after beeing boo'ed and scored three goals to, ironically, put them thru to the FA cup semi final! Maybe it inspired them? I could still be standing at my seat at the PBS last Saturday boo'ing tho and we'd still be 2-1 down. Boo'ing at football games is fans way of letting the players know they are not happy with what they are seeing, they cant individually stop the game and speak to players! If I had builders round building an extension to my house and they were doing a pathetically pish, lazy, devoid of effort job for 3 months then id bloody well say something to them! Ive spent a hell of a lot of money following hibs home and away over the past 3 months and Ive got virtually **** all back in return...I play football at Amateur leve and dont get paid a bean, I still got folk on the sidelines shouting abuse and criticism if were playing badly. Think footballers need to man up a bit and accept some criticism if its deserved. Im not saying shouting abuse at individual players but as a team, our players deserve flack! The exact same players have taken us from being great(start of season) to utterly pish(end of season).

--------
27-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I used to get irritated by the folk who argue, "I've paid my money, I'll call them any names I want", but I now feel sorry for them.

It's a shame as they're clearly confused.

That's consenting prostitutes they're thinking of, not football players.

You're being too kind to them, Radge-man.

"Confused"? I can think of a few harsher epithets I'd apply to some of them. They'd like to do it to someone who could fight back, but they don't dare....

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I see that however there are people employed at the club are there to do a job, ie win matches, it is fully up to them to do this. The support has been there over last few weeks IMO given full encorgement against Hearts so there is nothing more that the support can do, easy to put responsability onto others.

Some of the support do that. Some of the support have the experience and patience to sit it out. There is a large element of "sheep" for want of a better word, who are completely clueless about the game and shout the same thing as the guy next to them.

We all have stories to tell about fans who get on a player's back from the first minute. The way Nish gets treated at the moment is a perfect example: Nish hits a good pass, and the receiving player miskicks, these bozos are Nish's back for making a mistake.

The problem with these guys is that they make it harder to support the team and stay focussed on the game, because you are constantly having to listen to them. They bring a poisonous attitude to matches that spreads.

--------
27-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Some of the support do that. Some of the support have the experience and patience to sit it out. There is a large element of "sheep" for want of a better word, who are completely clueless about the game and shout the same thing as the guy next to them.

We all have stories to tell about fans who get on a player's back from the first minute. The way Nish gets treated at the moment is a perfect example: Nish hits a good pass, and the receiving player miskicks, these bozos are Nish's back for making a mistake.

The problem with these guys is that they make it harder to support the team and stay focussed on the game, because you are constantly having to listen to them. They bring a poisonous attitude to matches that spreads.

:top marksIt's an unfortunate fact that these guys usually also have lungs on them like Foghorn Leghorn's and brains like Elmer Fudd's....

Maybe they should be made to wear replica strips with "FOGHORN FUDD" on the back?

persevere1875
27-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Hibs fans have always been notoriously deluded as to how good we really are (me included), I seem to remember Ted Brack's "there is a bonny fitba team" mentioning it as far back as the 50's / 60's that hibs fans were well known for getting on the backs of the team if they didnt deliver to an acceptable standard, I think its just been polorised this season as the start we had seriously lifted expectations, doesnt make it right but it seems to be part and parcel of being a Hibby unfortunately

bighairyfaeleith
27-03-2010, 10:35 AM
You can't be seriously stating that this doesn't apply to Hibs as much as any club :confused:

:greengrin

Captain Trips

The fans can play there part but it has to start with the players and manager, the support has cheered team onto park but its been poor, for me the fans are not of any issue into the last few months.

IMO the players and manager are 100% to blame for me in letting things slide, people can say this when they need us most, but this was said 7 8 games ago, they got support and still failed, and IMO its been ongoing. I think its time that the players take full responsabilty in our slide, I am not saying they are not taking any, but the fans have did everything required.

We can say this is when they need us most again today but have failed to react for weeks now.

Phil D. Rolls
:top marksIt's an unfortunate fact that these guys usually also have lungs on them like Foghorn Leghorn's and brains like Elmer Fudd's....

Maybe they should wear replica strips with "FOGHORN FUDD" on the back?

You ever noticed that they are the ones that can neither sing in tune, or at the right tempo.

It might be PC gone mad, but I think it's time the stewards did something about these guys. I propose locking all pub doors in the vicinity between 2:50 and 4:00 pm.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 10:43 AM
The fans can play there part but it has to start with the players and manager, the support has cheered team onto park but its been poor, for me the fans are not of any issue into the last few months.

IMO the players and manager are 100% to blame for me in letting things slide, people can say this when they need us most, but this was said 7 8 games ago, they got support and still failed, and IMO its been ongoing. I think its time that the players take full responsabilty in our slide, I am not saying they are not taking any, but the fans have did everything required.

We can say this is when they need us most again today but have failed to react for weeks now.

It'll be interesting to see whether people getting on their backs will improve the performance.

Brizo
27-03-2010, 10:44 AM
It's true, and I have never been too impressed at our supporters abilty to do that. The one time I can remember it was in the 80s, when we were so sh*t we used to applaud corners, and getting a goal - any goal - would have been an excuse for an open topped bus.
Supporters take out their frustrations on the players too much. I have yet to read a book which says telling someone they are crap leads to them improving performance. It's like the myth about playing Sunshine on Leith lifts the players - evidence suggests otherwise.

I'm going through today, and I fully expect an unpleasant atmosphere in our end. I'm certain some people are going with one thought on their mind, to lay into the players. Funny thing is they disappear like Yam planning permission the minute Hibs go into the lead.

:agree: The days of the 4000 crowds when the fitba was at an all time low but when supporter togetherness seemed to be at an all time high. Maybe it was the fact we were down to the 4000 or maybe im looking back through old stoat glasses.

While telling someone theyre crap isnt going to help them im not convinced that cheering them from the rafters always helps performance , the atmos at the Easts last stand was fantastic , espec 1st 1/2 but I thought the performance was pretty gash :devil:

Compared to the 80s , admission plus associated costs have risen hugely and fwiw I think thats a factor in fans being more critical if theyre spending a small fortune attending games. Players being divorced from fans through wages they earn and their mercenery mentalitiy also doesnt unite in a "were all in this together" way it maybe used to.

Although recalling some of the abuse Joe T and Benny Brazil used to get back in the day maybe we just have to accept that weve always been a shower of miserable moaning faced barstewards :faf:

bighairyfaeleith
27-03-2010, 10:47 AM
It'll be interesting to see whether people getting on their backs will improve the performance.

see that gets ma goat, the team playing **** is not because the fans have booed at full time, or even half time.

It's because we are playing the wrong players in the wrong positions.

before I forget

UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER :greengrin

Captain Trips
27-03-2010, 10:52 AM

More support than get on backs at matches, full support has done nothing, ergo its down to the staff, we could borrow Arsenals mural end today and IMO we will play how we play.

Hibercelona
27-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Hate to say it.

But we're really crap fans sometimes.

Antifa Hibs
27-03-2010, 11:02 AM
It's a British mentality. You'll here little cheers for a wonder pass or bit skill, but as soon as someone loses the ball all hell breaks loose, worst supporters on the planet just now, especially us Scots.

While it is the mentality, other factors come into it aswell, expectations is the biggest one especially in a day with state-of-the-art training facilities, completed modern stadium, big sponsor deals, high ticket costs. When fans are paying top dollar for 90 minutes entertainment, anything other than good football and a win is good enough, when your paying £23 for a pesh game of fitba fans are gonna get agitated easily, compared to say paying a tenner for the same match. Same if you paid £20 for a show or gig that was rubbish.

And its easy for managers to comment on atmosphere's. I'd like to see auld Harry trying to get to White Heart Lane say on £12k a year, anything from £40-£70 per match, and when you do get there your told to sit down, stop swearing, stop gesturing yadda yadda, the players then storm of the pitch not appreciating the supporters (before being papped falling out a club after splashing 5k on a bar bill).

The only model to follow is the German model. Biggest crowds, best atmosphere's, club/fans/players have massive affection for each other. Compare that to here when fans are getting pushed further and further away from their clubs.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 11:09 AM
see that gets ma goat, the team playing **** is not because the fans have booed at full time, or even half time.

It's because we are playing the wrong players in the wrong positions.

before I forget

UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER UBER :greengrin

OUT OUT OUT? (:greengrin)

If the fans have no influence on performance, why don't they just shut their traps, or even better stay away.

bighairyfaeleith
27-03-2010, 11:14 AM

If the fans have no influence on performance, why don't they just shut their traps, or even better stay away.

we don't shut our traps because it's not tennis, and we don't stay away because we want to see our team play.

We don't want to see some spineless performance by overpaid ungrateful footballers who clearly don't give a ****. So we shout and protest. We could sit back with our hands up the sleeves of our cardigans but we are not yams:greengrin

Captain Trips
27-03-2010, 11:15 AM

I dont go thinking I will influence I go to watch Hibs hopefully win, if my singing helps good if my shouts help good. The biggest infuence on players are themselves then the manager.

I would say the players influnce what the fans will do a lot more than us influencing them.

grunt
27-03-2010, 11:17 AM
You ever noticed that they are the ones that can neither sing in tune, or at the right tempo.

Damn it's getting hard to be a fan these days if you have to pass a singing exam! :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2010, 11:58 AM
we don't shut our traps because it's not tennis, and we don't stay away because we want to see our team play.

We don't want to see some spineless performance by overpaid ungrateful footballers who clearly don't give a ****. So we shout and protest. We could sit back with our hands up the sleeves of our cardigans but we are not yams:greengrin

We are definitely not Yams (although there has been a distinct aroma of the brown stuff on some threads lately).

Protest has its place, but encouraging the team will bring better results IMO.

I dont go thinking I will influence I go to watch Hibs hopefully win, if my singing helps good if my shouts help good. The biggest infuence on players are themselves then the manager.

I would say the players influnce what the fans will do a lot more than us influencing them.

It's a two way street sometimes. I sometimes think negativity from the supporters gives the players another excuse.

I also think that it must be a thankless job playing in a team where some players are not doing their bit.

Damn it's getting hard to be a fan these days if you have to pass a singing exam! :wink:

It's PC gone mad!

Don Giovanni
27-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Eehhh didnt do Spurs much harm...they came out after beeing boo'ed and scored three goals to, ironically, put them thru to the FA cup semi final! Maybe it inspired them? I could still be standing at my seat at the PBS last Saturday boo'ing tho and we'd still be 2-1 down. Boo'ing at football games is fans way of letting the players know they are not happy with what they are seeing, they cant individually stop the game and speak to players! If I had builders round building an extension to my house and they were doing a pathetically pish, lazy, devoid of effort job for 3 months then id bloody well say something to them! Ive spent a hell of a lot of money following hibs home and away over the past 3 months and Ive got virtually **** all back in return...I play football at Amateur leve and dont get paid a bean, I still got folk on the sidelines shouting abuse and criticism if were playing badly. Think footballers need to man up a bit and accept some criticism if its deserved. Im not saying shouting abuse at individual players but as a team, our players deserve flack! The exact same players have taken us from being great(start of season) to utterly pish(end of season).

:agree:

Following a pretty even first half Spurs came out & battered a very decent Fulham team. The fans clearly believed the players could up thier game/werent giving their all in the first half and should be getting a result against their smaller London rival.

To continue a theme:
Congratulations to the fans who boo'd the team

clerriehibs
27-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I've often thought that if I wanted some work done on my house, I'd recruit tradesmen from Easter Road. They must be very good at their jobs, and would be able to respond to my erratic and tempermental outbursts without batting an eyelid.

I can't imagine many people who would put up with some of the nonsense supporters shout.

Great analogy. And how would you treat the tradesman who makes a **** of it ... and the next week ... and the next week ... you'd still employ him, of course, and supply the tea?