PDA

View Full Version : Ross County's pitch

CB_NO3
26-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned but how come their pitch was in much better condition than ours, I thought the cold winter was an excuse but am pretty sure it was just as cold in Dingwall as it was in Edinburgh this winter. Is it something to do with lack of sunlight getting to the grass, if so surely this can only get worse with the height of the new stand.

ahibby
26-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Do they have undersoil heating? Although it stops games from being postponed I'm not sure if it is all that good for the grass and soil, but am no expert on the subject.

Golden Bear
26-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe the soil is sand based rather than clarty mud based like our cabbage patch.

:wink:

JimBHibees
26-03-2010, 11:52 AM
No doubt a combination I would imagine County had no games on when the winter was at its worst unlike Hibs with Gers and Hearts over New year. Hibs I am assuming were also training on it sounds like we need to get an undersoil training pitch at East Mains would help protect the ER pitch.

Gingertosser
26-03-2010, 12:45 PM
the problem with the hibs pitch is that the undersoil heating was ON for 2 months full stop, and at a constant temperature........the heating needs to be adjusted daily, depending on outside temp....which it wasn't/isn't

Arch Stanton
26-03-2010, 01:00 PM
the problem with the hibs pitch is that the undersoil heating was ON for 2 months full stop, and at a constant temperature........the heating needs to be adjusted daily, depending on outside temp....which it wasn't/isn't

I know Sir Tom is old enough to qualify for a Winter Fuel Allowance but that's surely got to be one hell of a bill.

Brooster
26-03-2010, 01:03 PM
One of our groundsmen watered the pitch when there was snow on it (dont ask) hence the state it is in now.

Golden Bear
26-03-2010, 01:05 PM
One of our groundsmen watered the pitch when there was snow on it (dont ask) hence the state it is in now.

Sounds like we employ the same groundstaff as Motherwell.

Franck is God
26-03-2010, 02:04 PM
their pitch was fine because it was never played on during the frozen spell and being covered in snow for much of that time would have protected it.

We played on ours 3 times in a week and it got completely wrecked.

Judas Iscariot
26-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sure RC don't have 3 huge 2 tier stands blocking the sun either :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
26-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm sure RC don't have 3 huge 2 tier stands blocking the sun either :cool2:

They had a lot of sun over the winter? :greengrin

HibbyKeith
26-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Thought their pitch was in fantastic condition, and the OP's question was the first i asked when we pitched up behind the goals on tuesday night.

tamig
26-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe the soil is sand based rather than clarty mud based like our cabbage patch.

More likely the other way round. ER pitch is sand based like most pitches these days but as other posters say the heating being on full pelt for any length of time knocks the hell out of it.