PDA

View Full Version : Missing a trick?

Hibstrooper
26-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Is it just me or Hibs missing out on picking up some good quality (battling) players on the cheap by failing to exploit the lower leagues in Scotland? There must be some gems in there.

I was reading an article about Dorrans the other day and it was saying the season he won POTY in the first division he beat off competition from MacDonald, MacArthur and Dobbie - 4 players that would enhance our current squad.

Dundee United seem to have done this with great success in recent seasons, picking up players like Gomis, Robertson, Swanson, Conway and Dixon - players I'm sure the majority of us would take in a heartbeat. I'm sure all these players would have been acquired for less then we paid for Stokes!

Anyone play close attention to the first division? Any players that have been standing out that could be worth a punt?

Ell_Chrisso
26-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Lee Griffiths even before he went to Dundee would have been a start.

khib70
26-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Is it just me or Hibs missing out on picking up some good quality (battling) players on the cheap by failing to exploit the lower leagues in Scotland? There must be some gems in there.

I was reading an article about Dorrans the other day and it was saying the season he won POTY in the first division he beat off competition from MacDonald, MacArthur and Dobbie - 4 players that would enhance our current squad.

Dundee United seem to have done this with great success in recent seasons, picking up players like Gomis, Robertson, Swanson, Conway and Dixon - players I'm sure the majority of us would take in a heartbeat. I'm sure all these players would have been acquired for less then we paid for Stokes!

Anyone play close attention to the first division? Any players that have been standing out that could be worth a punt?
Isn't this how we ended up with Rankin?:cool2:

Hibstrooper
26-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Isn't this how we ended up with Rankin?:cool2:

ICT were in the SPL when we signed Rankin :wink:

noseyhibby
26-03-2010, 07:04 PM

I agree. As Yogi says, the top teams in the first division are as good as most SPL sides, so there just has to be one or two worth looking at. I pay little attention to that particular division but I'm not a football manager looking for a bargain.

DH1875
26-03-2010, 09:07 PM
What's the matter with Rankin?
I agree he isn't the best player in the world but I would take him over some of the others we have at the moment.

HibbyAndy
26-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Id love to see Bauben and Gomis from Dundee utd at ER.

Wotherspoon wide right Zemmama wide left and those pair in the middle, yes please :agree:

Crab apple
26-03-2010, 09:48 PM
:agree:

Agree with your point about Dundee Utd. Potter also exploited the lower league market when he was with the ****bos. I don't know if our reluctance to look is down to the Duff jimmy era when he seemed to build our entire team around (not good) first division players like Tosh and Power.

Fifer
27-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Id love to see Bauben and Gomis from Dundee utd at ER.

Wotherspoon wide right Zemmama wide left and those pair in the middle, yes please :agree:
What would you do with liam miller?

Gerard
27-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Sell him for lots of money:wink:
G

joejoefaemexico
27-03-2010, 03:54 PM

not seen much of him but apparently the boy stevenson from clyde that moved to hearts is a decent player, gets stuck in. i think too many player on the hibs book are in a comfort zone, boys from lower league teams would fight for the chance to play for an spl team no matter where their alliegences (sp) lie.

Hakim Sar
27-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Good players in first division but you have to be careful. They won't come cheap and also jim duffy built a team around good players picked up from smaller teams and it didn't work

I'd rather go down the Motherwell model and loan up and coming youth players from your evertons etc.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2010, 04:19 PM

I get your point mate and you've listed some good examples but is there anyone down the leagues just now that you think would improve us?

Rooney at ICT seems to do ok, Griffiths at Dundee but I don't think either of them would get a game for us. There are bound to be some hardmen defenders and midfielders though?

jdships
27-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Good players in first division but you have to be careful. They won't come cheap and also jim duffy built a team around good players picked up from smaller teams and it didn't work

I'd rather go down the Motherwell model and loan up and coming youth players from your evertons etc.

:top marks
Spot on!
Some people have short memory's - "Duff Jimmy" really took us to the edge going down that line.

MussyHibby
27-03-2010, 04:34 PM

:rolleyes: eh........................:bye::wink:

HibeeDaz6270
27-03-2010, 04:39 PM
:top marks
Spot on!
Some people have short memory's - "Duff Jimmy" really took us to the edge going down that line.

Your not getting it. We dont expect yogi to go and sign 11 players to play in the 1st team from the 1st division. We are talking about 1 or 2 players to come in and play alongisde the likes of stokes riordan zemmama miller etc, all very good football players. You often find that the guys playing in the lower leagues will have that wee bit more fight than the players i have just listed. So if you do search the lower leagues i do believe you can find a player to enhance our squad. For example Dundee Utd brought in the likes of Gomis and Swanson. Too players who have now established themselves in the spl. They will have been helped by other good players around them. If Dundee utd went out and signed a full team full of 1st division players it would probably be a different story.

jdships
27-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Your not getting it. We dont expect yogi to go and sign 11 players to play in the 1st team from the 1st division. We are talking about 1 or 2 players to come in and play alongisde the likes of stokes riordan zemmama miller etc, all very good football players. You often find that the guys playing in the lower leagues will have that wee bit more fight than the players i have just listed. So if you do search the lower leagues i do believe you can find a player to enhance our squad. For example Dundee Utd brought in the likes of Gomis and Swanson. Too players who have now established themselves in the spl. They will have been helped by other good players around them. If Dundee utd went out and signed a full team full of 1st division players it would probably be a different story.

Yes of course there will be the odd one that comes up to SPL standard Are you saying Hib's management team are not aware of these guys ?
If you are you are way off the mark .
Can assure you there are a many paid and unpaid people watching matches all over the country on behalf of JH
I can assure you from experience , albeit many years ago , there is a massive difference between being successful in lower leagues and making it in the Top League
Statistics bear that out unfortunately !
Still think the way forward for Hibs, given the financial constraints, is through the Academy with the odd experienced/older player from wherever '

:flag:

HibeeDaz6270
27-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes of course there will be the odd one that comes up to SPL standard Are you saying Hib's management team are not aware of these guys ?
If you are you are way off the mark .
Can assure you there are a many paid and unpaid people watching matches all over the country on behalf of JH
I can assure you from experience , albeit many years ago , there is a massive difference between being successful in lower leagues and making it in the Top League
Statistics bear that out unfortunately !
Still think the way forward for Hibs, given the financial constraints, is through the Academy with the odd experienced/older player from wherever '

:flag:

To an extent that is what im saying yes. These guys in the lower leagues are not proven to be able to hack it in the SPL, but you take a risk on 1 or two, and it can either go your way or not.Hibs dont seem all very willing to do that at the moment, unlike the likes of dundee utd. Hibs were quite obviously not aware of Gomis or Swanson, If they were, i would like to think they would have opted for us.

johnrebus
27-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Lee Griffiths even before he went to Dundee would have been a start.

Exactly!!!!!

Stuff the fitba, can you imagine how good the blog would be if Yogi was his boss?

:faf:

:rolleyes:

NOLA
27-03-2010, 05:13 PM

I think we pay more attention to our own youth set-up to bother looking at promising 1st div players

HibeeDaz6270
27-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I think we pay more attention to our own youth set-up to bother looking at promising 1st div players

perhaps, but why not do both?. There is players out there available for a small fee , that if given the chance, can turn out to be very good players. Look at dundee utd, Gomis in particular, what a player he is, and he must now be close to a £1million player, if he was in our midfield, we would have him in the £3million category.

NOLA
27-03-2010, 07:43 PM
perhaps, but why not do both?. There is players out there available for a small fee , that if given the chance, can turn out to be very good players. Look at dundee utd, Gomis in particular, what a player he is, and he must now be close to a £1million player, if he was in our midfield, we would have him in the £3million category.

aye fair point, but we are now attracting some of the best young players from allover scotland in all youth ages.

Toaods
27-03-2010, 07:47 PM
can see Yogi going for Arfield and Scobbie.

...They'll be in the lower leagues next season.:wink:

Jonnyboy
27-03-2010, 07:52 PM
not seen much of him but apparently the boy stevenson from clyde that moved to hearts is a decent player, gets stuck in. i think too many player on the hibs book are in a comfort zone, boys from lower league teams would fight for the chance to play for an spl team no matter where their alliegences (sp) lie.

He moved from Ayr Utd Joe - they used the dosh to sign Tam McManus :greengrin

When Livi were in the 1st Division I banged on a lot about Murray Davidson who is now of course in the SPL with St Johnstone and doing well by all accounts.

It's easy to look back and cite the duds Duffy signed but it's only fair to highlight a couple that worked out well for Hibs like Gordon Durie and Johnny Graham

joejoefaemexico
27-03-2010, 09:46 PM
He moved from Ayr Utd Joe - they used the dosh to sign Tam McManus :greengrin

When Livi were in the 1st Division I banged on a lot about Murray Davidson who is now of course in the SPL with St Johnstone and doing well by all accounts.

It's easy to look back and cite the duds Duffy signed but it's only fair to highlight a couple that worked out well for Hibs like Gordon Durie and Johnny Graham

right enough mate.

that murray davidson is a great example, i reckon by far the best player in that super j's team.

there are a few good players in the 1st division we could do with, the likes of that guy kerr from dundee. ex-newcastle i hear! some player!:wink:

selkirkhibee
27-03-2010, 09:52 PM
i agree

hibsdaft
27-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Mr Hibs makes a valid point :agree:

:cool2:

khib70
27-03-2010, 10:38 PM
What's the matter with Rankin?
I agree he isn't the best player in the world but I would take him over some of the others we have at the moment.
:faf::faf: