PDA

View Full Version : If Walter Smith can motivate 9 men to beat St Mirren in a Cup Final

Hibbyradge
26-03-2010, 12:12 AM
How come Yogi can't get 11 SPL players to score more goals than a first division side over 180 minutes?

If Smith was our manager, we'd still be in the cup, imo.

Same goes if it was Craig Brown or Fat Jim Knew.

I've defended every manager we've had up till now, but I'm losing my patience.

The next week could bring me back onside a bit, if results and performances go well.

If they don't, Yogi's tea could be out.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
26-03-2010, 12:15 AM
In short, he's a dumpling. Expect the same mistakes from the same players due to same tactics and formations at Falkirk. Yogi: not the smartest bear in the forest!

noseyhibby
26-03-2010, 12:16 AM
How come Yogi can't get 11 SPL players to score more goals than a first division side over 180 minutes?

The next week could bring me back onside a bit, if results and performances go well.

Some good points here, but what really jumps out at me is your statement that the next week could bring you back onside a bit, depending on results and performances. I'm smiling at this at it encapsulates everything about following Hibs. despite everything, the next result/performance will have us crawling back for more of the same ...lol In most cases, the next game becomes the next season and then the next decade..

Hibbyradge
26-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Some good points here, but what really jumps out at me is your statement that the next week could bring you back onside a bit, depending on results and performances. I'm smiling at this at it encapsulates everything about following Hibs. despite everything, the next result/performance will have us crawling back for more of the same ...lol In most cases, the next game becomes the next season and then the next decade..

It's just hope, nosey.

I read everyone saying how Yogi will come good, how we're a work in progress etc.

I don't see it that way myself, but I'd love it to be true.

Even if it's not and I really don't renew my season ticket, I'll still go to games, I'll still be a Hibby.

That will never change.

Vini1875
26-03-2010, 12:33 AM

Remind me again,
smith's team out the cup
fat jim's teams? he got two knocked out in one season if I'm not mistaken.
I'll give you pa broon since he has been at motherwell, although with the cream of Scottish talent at his disposal in the national side he achieved what exactly?

Sir David Gray
26-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Remind me again,
smith's team out the cup
fat jim's teams? he got two knocked out in one season if I'm not mistaken.
I'll give you pa broon since he has been at motherwell, although with the cream of Scottish talent at his disposal in the national side he achieved what exactly?

More than what Berti Vogts, Walter Smith, Alex McLeish and George Burley have managed to do since as Scotland manager, i.e. he got us to the finals of major championships.

Part/Time Supporter
26-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Inverness 2-0 Motherwell (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/8464445.stm)

:dunno:

Motherwell interim manager Craig Brown:
"I felt Inverness played the game like a cup tie and were especially strong and determined - two qualities that I felt we lacked.

"I felt that we were good in possession and at times we played some quite pretty football, but we needed more grit and determination than we had if we were going to win a cup tie in Inverness.

"They were fit and fresh having not played for so long, but the fact we played on Saturday shouldn't have been an issue as they are professional players."

Jefferies was knocked out of the league cup by St. Mirren this season - twice!

marinello59
26-03-2010, 07:41 AM
And equally............How come 11 SPL players can't motivate thermselves to score more goals than a First Division side over 180 minutes?
Yoiu can't blame the manager alone for what happened. For me, manager and players are equally culpable. IF they pull together over the next few weeks we will be back on track for a decent league finish. This season was always going to be an emotional roller coaster ride given the shambles that Yogi inherited. I wouldn't jump off just yet, hold on tight, it'll still be a bumpy ride but it certainly isn't over.

GGTTH

down the slope
26-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I just read the words of wisdom from hughes in this mornings Scotsman and he believes he can turn things round blah blah blah, nothing new or a mention that he will change his tactics so we match up other teams. He thinks it's a question of moral but that's only part of it and he needs to address his part in the recent performances but i did not see any sign of that today-expect more of the same .

Don Giovanni
26-03-2010, 08:10 AM
And equally............How come 11 SPL players can't motivate thermselves to score more goals than a First Division side over 180 minutes?
Yoiu can't blame the manager alone for what happened. For me, manager and players are equally culpable. IF they pull together over the next few weeks we will be back on track for a decent league finish. This season was always going to be an emotional roller coaster ride given the shambles that Yogi inherited. I wouldn't jump off just yet, hold on tight, it'll still be a bumpy ride but it certainly isn't over.

GGTTH

Yup. Spot on there. Both the manager and the players are culpable for this slump. However, 3rd place is still within our reach, which would be progress from last year, IF the players and manager can turn it around, mostly against our direct rivals.

I haven't seen much to suggest a turn around in fortunes but over to you Yogi and the squad...

GGTTH

ronaldo7
26-03-2010, 08:24 AM
How come Gus McPherson can't motivate 11 players to beat only 9 in a cup final, but in his next game can get them to score 4 goals against a team in second place in the league.

It's a conspiracy I tell ye:confused:

Hibbyradge
26-03-2010, 08:51 AM

GGTTH

Yeah, I agree, the players do need to take a share of the blame, but I just feel that Yogi isn't getting the best out of the talent at his disposal and that this has been the case for months.

Sure, every team can get knocked out of the cup, but we've only won once in all our last 9 games and few of our performances this season have been particularly good to watch or convincing, primarily because of Yogi's tactics, imo.

The early season results, the way the manager spoke, his passion, the calibre of player he attracted, the new stand and the bright financial position all tricked me into thinking that something really progressive was happening at Hibs, so when grim reality came around, it hit extra hard.

I just shouldn't have got my hopes up.

Acht, it will probably pass.

Andy74
26-03-2010, 09:38 AM

If Hibs could play 9 of Rangers players we'd still be in the cup.

That's two daft threads of this nature you've started in the last wee while!!