PDA

View Full Version : McCann

Houchy
25-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Anyone any idea when McCannavarro is back. He'll be like a new signing when he comes back and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
25-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Anyone any idea when McCannavarro is back. He'll be like a new signing when he comes back and should be one of the first names on the team sheet.:agree:

No idea when he will be back.

Last seen him in the first day of the season, and he looked way off the pace.

If he was to become injury free, he would be decent cover, but I can honestly see us cutting our losses and letting him leave. He's been injured almost permanently for 2 years straight.

It's a shame, he looked a good prospect when he was first given his chance.

noseyhibby
25-03-2010, 06:01 PM

I held out high hopes 2 years or so ago for McCann, but apart from being injury-prone he has not moved up a gear and onto a level required to play regular football for an SPL side. McCann is 1st division quality and I think that this is where he will end up. I wish him well when he goes.

Bob Box Fish
25-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I held out high hopes 2 years or so ago for McCann, but apart from being injury-prone he has not moved up a gear and onto a level required to play regular football for an SPL side. McCann is 1st division quality and I think that this is where he will end up. I wish him well when he goes.

This

Crab apple
25-03-2010, 09:07 PM

:agree: IMHO he is definitely not the long term solution for this position.

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Feel sorry for him with his injuries, but probably one to let go. Weve not seen anything from him in a couple of years, and it does seem a bit harsh, but he isnt bringing anything.

IWasThere2016
25-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Got to echo sentiments above - sadly I don't think we see him feature much before he's released. This could be as soon as the summer IMO.

500miles
25-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure how people can write his ability off. Played well until Collins destroyed his confidence by putting him at the centre of defence, and then picked up a long term injury before he got the chance to prove himself.

2 years is a hell of a long time though.

Jonnyboy
25-03-2010, 09:54 PM

Not sure I agree Houchy. If and when he's fit again lets wait and see how he plays before we automatically stick him in the first team.

bingo70
25-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure how people can write his ability off. Played well until Collins destroyed his confidence by putting him at the centre of defence, and then picked up a long term injury before he got the chance to prove himself.

IMO even before his injuries, his lack of pace was going to be an issue so after 2 years of injuries i can't see him making it with us, good luck to him though, hope he proves me wrong.

As for the Collins dig, i'm pretty sure if you were to ask Mccann about JC he'd have a different opinion on him to you.

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2010, 09:57 PM

The problem is, do we keep him on in the hope that a) hes over his injury problems b) hes still got it? As you say its a long time out, and we really need RB position sorted out.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Perhaps he's the man to replace Bamba at the hearts of our defence, when he's gone?:devil:

DH1875
25-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't start him but if he is going to be fit for next season then keep him as cover.

Baader
25-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Be nice to have a proper right back again. But can't see KM being that man.

Ed De Gramo
25-03-2010, 10:36 PM

agree with this

:top marks

Sir David Gray
25-03-2010, 10:53 PM
It's really sad to say but I don't think the guy has any long term future at Hibs.

It will be devastating for him if Hibs decide to release him but unfortunately we can't wait around forever for him to get fit.

I hope it's not the end for him though in terms of his professional career and that he can make it somewhere else.

greenlex
26-03-2010, 01:28 AM
He us unfortunately not what Yogi needs in the system he is trying to play. No pace and us a poor passing. Having said that not much used to get passed him. Heart of a lion but won't make it at Hibs unfortunately.

rainman
26-03-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm not a fan of John Collins' work at Hibs but the one thing he did do was to get McCann and Stevenson punching above their weight.

He had a lot of faith in McCann and even put him in centre mid against Rangers where he scored a screamer. Unfortunately I think that is where he peaked and can see him being let go at the end of his contract.

Great timing in a tackle but a bit too slow and one dimensional. When you look at what Whittaker and now Wotherspoon give to the full back position, putting McCann in there would be a step back.

Big90inOz
26-03-2010, 04:34 AM
I think time has run out for him at Hibs
Even at his best he was a solid tackler but passing was poor.

Long suffering
26-03-2010, 11:55 AM

dont know how you can claim that tbh. Many a youngster looks promising when breaking through (Stevenson for example) and then falls back considerably

Golden Bear
26-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I think time has run out for him at Hibs
Even at his best he was a solid tackler but passing was poor.

:agree:

And very slow into the bargain. But that's a common trait in the team.

Speedway
26-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Sad to say but if he was a new signing, we'd be bumping our gums on here about him not being good enough.

GreenPJ
26-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not a fan of John Collins' work at Hibs but the one thing he did do was to get McCann and Stevenson punching above their weight.

He had a lot of faith in McCann and even put him in centre mid against Rangers where he scored a screamer. Unfortunately I think that is where he peaked and can see him being let go at the end of his contract.

Great timing in a tackle but a bit too slow and one dimensional. When you look at what Whittaker and now Wotherspoon give to the full back position, putting McCann in there would be a step back.

Was it a case of punching above their weight or could they have gone on to be really good players with the right coaching. Mixu and injury sadly put paid to that.

I would suggest McCann, if he can prove his fitness deserves an opportunity to try and push through next season.

Franck is God
26-03-2010, 01:14 PM
McCann is a good full back with a dreadful injury record in the last two seasons, we probably haven't actually seen him fully fit since JC was in charge.

At that time he was an excellent right back and although not a like for like replacement for Whittaker was certainly making the position his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for the first team again and certainly not ready to write off his Hibs career until he's had a chance to show what he can do. Its true to say that he's not the quickest but I do remember that his positional sense was excellent, he read the game well, tackled well and was a good passer from the back. Not bad attributes to have for a full back.

Houchy
26-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I can appreciate that 2 years out of the game is a long time but at 22 years old, I'd like to think that we'll see how gets over his injury (hopefully once and for all) and see he progresses over the next couple of years. Can't see him being on a massive wage so it's not like we have to get rid of him in a hurry. It's not exactly Hearts and Kingson at 15K p/w or whatever:faf:

500miles
26-03-2010, 05:11 PM
The problem is, do we keep him on in the hope that a) hes over his injury problems b) hes still got it? As you say its a long time out, and we really need RB position sorted out.

I wouldn't be rushing about to extend his contract, but Yogi will be monitoring his progress in training and such like. More than likely he'll get a shot early on in preseason, see how that goes, and if he doesn't look like making it, he'll get the chat, and he'll have to find himself another club. Which is a shame - he doesn't have the faults a number of people say he has. He wasn't quick, but he wasn't dreadfully slow either. His passing fell apart much like Wotherspoons, but I would have expected it to recover, just like expect young David's.

noseyhibby
26-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I also recall getting utterly frustrated my McCanns refusal to cross the half way line. I was so used to seeing overlapping wingbacks (ie Whittaker and Murphy). He was either told not to go forward or he was too timid. I feel that RBs and LBs should have it in their locker to surge forward.Apart from this he is injury-prone and is not of the quality we need to take us up a level to become genuine top 3 challengers. I wish him well when he is moved on -probably to some 1st division team (his level)

tamig
26-03-2010, 07:58 PM
McCann is a good full back with a dreadful injury record in the last two seasons, we probably haven't actually seen him fully fit since JC was in charge.

At that time he was an excellent right back and although not a like for like replacement for Whittaker was certainly making the position his own.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for the first team again and certainly not ready to write off his Hibs career until he's had a chance to show what he can do. Its true to say that he's not the quickest but I do remember that his positional sense was excellent, he read the game well, tackled well and was a good passer from the back. Not bad attributes to have for a full back.

Agree totally. I'd love to see him back to full fitness and reclaim the rb slot as his own. Far too early to write him off as a lost cause like so many of the other posters. Let's see what the boy can do once he comes back.

DH1875
26-03-2010, 09:31 PM
dont know how you can claim that tbh. Many a youngster looks promising when breaking through (Stevenson for example) and then falls back considerably

Stevenson is still young enough to come good. He hasn't had a good season but he hasn't had enough starts in his correct position.

Franck is God
27-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Agree totally. I'd love to see him back to full fitness and reclaim the rb slot as his own. Far too early to write him off as a lost cause like so many of the other posters. Let's see what the boy can do once he comes back.

I think some fans are being fooled by the number of 'young' players moving into first teams these days. There have always been players that have broken into first teams at a young age but they were the exception rather than the rule and teams full of teenagers is something that has only really happened in recent football history.

Look at someone like Danny Swanson at Dundee United, he is only now starting to live up to some of his potential but he's 24 not 19, going by some peoples rules on this board we would have moved him on a couple of years ago because he wasn't a first team regular. Players mature at different rates and ages, if financial restrictions at the club determine that we can't wait for a player then thats fine but a players career is not defined by age 21.

Houchy
27-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Says on Sky sports news this morning (the bit along the bottom that says who might or might not play) that "McCann may return (Toe)"

Maybe the last 20 minutes when we're cruising 5-0:greengrin

whiskyhibby
27-03-2010, 01:22 PM
:agree: IMHO he is definitely not the long term solution for this position.

Based on what exactly? The lad has hardly played in two years !!