PDA

View Full Version : Underfire Hibs boss says he can take the heat after cup exit

dawn
25-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Haven't seen this posted on the board, from todays EEN.

HIBS boss John Hughes today insisted his shoulders are broad enough to take the flak aimed at him following the Easter Road outfit's shock Scottish Cup exit.

While admitting he well understood the supporters' reaction to the events in Dingwall on Tuesday night, Hughes said: "It's not a problem, it's water off a duck's back. It goes with the territory, when we were riding high I was getting all the plaudits but that's how fickle football is, we are in a fickle business."

However, Hughes knows it's vital his side get back on track with a potentially tricky trip to face his old club Falkirk, battling against relegation, on Saturday, challenging his players to use the disappointments of this week, their Cup exit following a derby day defeat by Hearts, to drive them on.

He said: "Someone once said to me the bravest thing is the guy that starts a race, falls but gets back up to finish. I believe that success can come from disappointment, it has to motivate you.

"Tuesday night is done and dusted, it was a real disappointment but we have to pick ourselves up and be ready to go again. The good thing about football is you get that opportunity to try to put it right and it's up to the boys to stand up, show real character and desire and win."

Hughes' Cup plans were hampered by injuries to Chris Hogg, Paul Hanlon, Merouane Zemmama and Alan Gow but he refused to use their absence as an excuse, saying: "If you are in our first team you should be good enough to go out and play, hold down your position and win matches."

The Hibs boss has also insisted his players cannot simply feel sorry for themselves, as they prepare for a run which sees them face Falkirk, United, Celtic and Hamilton before the SPL split. He said: "We have a lot of big games coming up. As bad as we have been over the last month if we can hit a purple patch between now and the end of the season we'll see where that takes us."

Bayern Bru
25-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Some will say he's recycling the same stuff, but what he needs to do is show that he can act on his words. We need a strong all-round team performance on Saturday whoever plays. The fact that it's against his former club should hopefully fire him up and this will ideally rub off on the players.

In a perfect world, of course.

Bearders
25-03-2010, 01:51 PM
The fact that it's against his former club should hopefully fire him up and this will ideally rub off on the players.

At no stage during Yogi's short tenure could anyone suggest that he needs "fired up".

If our players watched Dundee Utd or St. Mirren last night they would see fellow pros going about their business and giving everything they had.

Bayern Bru
25-03-2010, 02:00 PM
At no stage during Yogi's short tenure could anyone suggest that he needs "fired up".

If our players watched Dundee Utd or St. Mirren last night they would see fellow pros going about their business and giving everything they had.

True enough Bearders. What I perhaps should have suggested was that his attitude might, and should have an effect on the players because something's been missing for the past few weeks on the park, and I don't think it's Yogi's enthusiasm.

Just out of interest, is he in the stands for Saturday's match?

Aldo
25-03-2010, 04:51 PM
For me Hughes should be taking as much heat as the players. He took the plaudits along with the players when they were doing well so he should be taking the heat when things go wrong.

He is there to influence and change things round as he sees fit and to make the changes at the right time?? This is the last few weeks has gone a bit pearshaped IMHO.

Galbraith should of been on against the Yams with his pace we had a bit of an out ball.

dawn
25-03-2010, 06:49 PM
[/URL][URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8587919.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8587919.stm)

Someone else kindly posted the link to the interview. The section I posted was straight of the EEN web page.

silverhibee
25-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Didn't hear the interview and the written word is easier to take out of context than the spoken word.
I hope that is the case with the "water off a duck's back" comment as it comes accross as a two fingered salute and F U, I'm alright.

Tuesday night really is done and dusted and I'm sure just like me, John Hughes explains that to the supporters of other clubs in his place of work when laughed at.

Think I'll probably go to Falkirk tomorrow. cheer on the Hibbies.

Maybe better going on Saturday to cheer on the Hibbies. :greengrin

Bad Martini
25-03-2010, 07:35 PM
"and it's up to the boys to stand up, show real character and desire and win."

Aye. True.

And its up to YOU, Yogi, to put the right team out, play them in the RIGHT bloody position and lets have nae stupid formations eh...

Whilst at it, a bit of genuine, bona fide, "what yer paid to do" M O T I V A T I O N wouldnae go amiss...am all for hammering the lazy bassas with pelters when its needed but sometimes, a change in tact is needed.

Standing up and showing character goes for the ****ing LOT of ye's Yogi - NO, just the players....:agree:

Cheshire Hibee
25-03-2010, 07:43 PM
"and it's up to the boys to stand up, show real character and desire and win."

Aye. True.

And its up to YOU, Yogi, to put the right team out, play them in the RIGHT bloody position and lets have nae stupid formations eh...

Whilst at it, a bit of genuine, bona fide, "what yer paid to do" M O T I V A T I O N wouldnae go amiss...am all for hammering the lazy bassas with pelters when its needed but sometimes, a change in tact is needed.

Standing up and showing character goes for the ****ing LOT of ye's Yogi - NO, just the players....:agree:

Good post at no point does Yogi take responsibility for the way he sets up the team to play.:grr:

He needs to take a long hard look at himself and ask what can I do to stop the slide, maybe it's me and the system i'm playing?

joebakerforever
25-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Listening to Radio Scotland tonight when the various pundits were discussing Mowbray's demise, they referred to his blinkered adherence to an idealistic way of playing football and a stubborn refusal to change his approach when it was not working.

Reference was made to how Mourinho's ability to change things quickly when his original plan wasn't working for Inter which resulted in them overcoming Ancelotti's predictable Chelsea.

I was thinking that for Mowbray, you could also add Hughes in this category, when Pat Nevin mentioned the same thing.

Yogi's early season tactics and formation have been sussed out by other Managers (apart from Mowbray :wink:), but our Manager seems incapable of changing his game plan which has resulted in the miserable run we are now enduring, with no sign that results will improve soon :boo hoo:

monktonharp
26-03-2010, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE

Yogi's early season tactics and formation have been sussed out by other Managers, but our Manager seems incapable of changing his game plan which has resulted in the miserable run we are now enduring, with no sign that results will improve soon :boo hoo:[/QUOTE] :agree: hope he also notices tommorow that the fans have changed their game plan: and that is,that we always full the away end at Falkirk,but this time there will be lots of empty seats. I will be there cheering the team on,but reserve the right to scream like a f/kin banshee if they dont get in about the oipposition.we all know Falkirk need to fight,but Hibernian need to fight more and if they do,we'll win

Cropley10
26-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Why can't Yogi just tell the EEN that he'll talk to them after our next win.

He's like a broken-record...

Scorrie
26-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Haven't seen this posted on the board, from todays EEN.

HIBS boss John Hughes today insisted his shoulders are broad enough to take the flak aimed at him following the Easter Road outfit's shock Scottish Cup exit.

While admitting he well understood the supporters' reaction to the events in Dingwall on Tuesday night, Hughes said: "It's not a problem, it's water off a duck's back. It goes with the territory, when we were riding high I was getting all the plaudits but that's how fickle football is, we are in a fickle business."

However, Hughes knows it's vital his side get back on track with a potentially tricky trip to face his old club Falkirk, battling against relegation, on Saturday, challenging his players to use the disappointments of this week, their Cup exit following a derby day defeat by Hearts, to drive them on.

He said: "Someone once said to me the bravest thing is the guy that starts a race, falls but gets back up to finish. I believe that success can come from disappointment, it has to motivate you.

"Tuesday night is done and dusted, it was a real disappointment but we have to pick ourselves up and be ready to go again. The good thing about football is you get that opportunity to try to put it right and it's up to the boys to stand up, show real character and desire and win."

Hughes' Cup plans were hampered by injuries to Chris Hogg, Paul Hanlon, Merouane Zemmama and Alan Gow but he refused to use their absence as an excuse, saying: "If you are in our first team you should be good enough to go out and play, hold down your position and win matches."

The Hibs boss has also insisted his players cannot simply feel sorry for themselves, as they prepare for a run which sees them face Falkirk, United, Celtic and Hamilton before the SPL split. He said: "We have a lot of big games coming up. As bad as we have been over the last month if we can hit a purple patch between now and the end of the season we'll see where that takes us."

Jeezo, he's had plenty of practice recently. So let's see us get back in the race and start competing Yogi