PDA

View Full Version : Are You Currently A Happy Clapper or A Doom & Gloomer?

Speedway
25-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Just a few weeks ago, we were 14 unbeaten and we we apparently going to win the league or at least split the OF.

Now, we are a gutless, spineless, lazy mob apparently.

Knee Jerks are now in full swing and therefore what do you think, is the future Green and White under Hughes or Green and Sh***?

khib70
25-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Just a few weeks ago, we were 14 unbeaten and we we apparently going to win the league or at least split the OF.

Knee Jerks are now in full swing and therefore what do you think, is the future Green and White under Hughes or Green and Sh***?
It's not quite as cut and dried as that. D and G is probably a bit of an overreaction, but on the other hand, one (undeserved) win in nine games, failing to beat a lower division side over three hours, losing 5-1 to St Johnstone and being thoroughly turned over by a makeshift yam team are hardly grounds for dancing in the street.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 10:10 AM
While not happy how its gone recently, i'm still happy at what we have done so far this season. This is my first season in the happy clappers squad, and i look forward to many more seasons with them.:wink:

Sudds_1
25-03-2010, 10:16 AM
While not happy how its gone recently, i'm still happy at what we have done so far this season. This is my first season in the happy clappers squad, and i look forward to many more seasons with them.:wink:

I'm in the "35 + years and seen it all" category........:wink: So neither up nor down.

I'm old enough to know that anger soon subsides and things change.......

A bit like your good self BH....(How is your great Uncle Stacky btw?) :wink:

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Im in the middle, but recent results have been worse than Ive seen in a while; outplayed twice by a lower league team, 5-1 vs Saints, the derby (where lets face it, the result flattered us).

Yes we had a very good start to the season, and it seemed that with the right signings in the transfer window we could have really pushed on. As it is the management team and the players have let us down badly, but it isnt over yet..

allmodcons
25-03-2010, 10:19 AM

:agree: Having followed Hibs home & away during the 1980's, I'm well in the know as to when things are really bad.

Vince White
25-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Neither. I'm a realist. Hibs are woeful at present, but they have players who should be capable of better. The manager doesn't appear to know how to change things and I'll be very surprised if we finish any better than 5th or 6th. I consider it a real gamble to give him another season to get it right. I'd love him to prove me wrong but I have a fear that if we stick with Yogi we could be flirting with a relegation battle next season. That may make me a 'doom and gloomer' in some eyes but I'm just stating it how I see it. Everything is in place at Hibs to support what should be a successful team, we just need the right manager. At present I'm simply not convinced Yogi is that man.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm in the "35 + years and seen it all" category........:wink: So neither up nor down.

I'm old enough to know that anger soon subsides and things change.......

A bit like your good self BH....(How is your great Uncle Stacky btw?) :wink:

I'd like to win the cup, but now a couple of days later, I'm over the defeat. I came to the conclusion years ago, we wouldn't win it in my lifetime, and Europe has always been my goal for the team.

So yes upset, but looking forward to the run in, and hopefully a good trip abroad next season.:thumbsup:

PS with my uncle in goals.:wink:

Sudds_1
25-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd like to win the cup, but now a couple of days later, I'm over the defeat. I came to the conclusion years ago, we wouldn't win it in my lifetime, and Europe has always been my goal for the team.

So yes upset, but looking forward to the run in, and hopefully a good trip abroad next season.:thumbsup:

PS with my uncle in goals.:wink:

:greengrin

Andy74
25-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I think anyone who expected a team to built in 8 months is having a laugh.

Hughes was very clear when we were winning more games that we were still miles away and that remains the case now we've lost a few.

A couple of players with different qualities would make a big difference. A Vinnie Jones or a Robbie Savage type player who is a nasty piece of work would work a treat.

We also need experience in the full back positions or cover at centre half so Murray can stick at left back. Who'd have thought a few weeks ago that Stevenson and Thicot would be our full backs!?

It is unrealistic to expect Hughes to get all his target areas at once or even in the two windows, judging by his signings so far I'm inclined to think he is willing to wait for players who are good enough for what he has in mind for us.

In terms of changing things now or tactics, subs etc, I don't really believe anyhting we have in reserve right now will make much difference overall.

I think I'd start by giving Cregg a few games now though and let him upset a few people! It's time for that approach before we can play football again.

We are low in confidence we are not blessed with nastiness or physical presence to get through the fact and we are missing our key creative player who was on fire early season.

It might be a slog between now and the end of the season but if we can just sort one or two things then next year could be all the better for it.

I believe Hughes is the right man for us. I don't think we can rely on the flair players we have and a few kids and reserve types to get us through a full season and it's proved to be that way.

I think we will see a better quality squad next year with some different types of players for a better mix.

hibsbollah
25-03-2010, 10:43 AM
happy clapper always:greengrin

gouranga, hare krishna, go on my bonny bonny boys etc etc

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I think anyone who expected a team to built in 8 months is having a laugh.

Hughes was very clear when we were winning more games that we were still miles away and that remains the case now we've lost a few.

A couple of players with different qualities would make a big difference. A Vinnie Jones or a Robbie Savage type player who is a nasty piece of work would work a treat.

We also need experience in the full back positions or cover at centre half so Murray can stick at left back. Who'd have thought a few weeks ago that Stevenson and Thicot would be our full backs!?

It is unrealistic to expect Hughes to get all his target areas at once or even in the two windows, judging by his signings so far I'm inclined to think he is willing to wait for players who are good enough for what he has in mind for us.

In terms of changing things now or tactics, subs etc, I don't really believe anyhting we have in reserve right now will make much difference overall.

I think I'd start by giving Cregg a few games now though and let him upset a few people! It's time for that approach before we can play football again.

We are low in confidence we are not blessed with nastiness or physical presence to get through the fact and we are missing our key creative player who was on fire early season.

It might be a slog between now and the end of the season but if we can just sort one or two things then next year could be all the better for it.

I believe Hughes is the right man for us. I don't think we can rely on the flair players we have and a few kids and reserve types to get us through a full season and it's proved to be that way.

I think we will see a better quality squad next year with some different types of players for a better mix.
I agree 100% with all of that.:agree: :top marks I'm away to lay down for a while now.

Ryan91
25-03-2010, 11:37 AM
In all fairness we have been pretty poor of recent, lets face it we were lucky at the start of the season, and I'm guessing we've run dry on the luck front, but I now think it is time to coax old lady luck out of her hole that she dissappeared into a short while ago. I hope that all of what has happened over the past few weeks serves to act as a wake up call. I like Yogi, I think he has what it takes to bring this club forward, his tactics of recent may have been baffling, e.g. 4-3-3 away from home, mid-week cup replay against a lower league side more than up for it. I think it's time we became a little less adventurous on the whole attacking formation idea, 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 works just fine. Wotherspoon is a brilliant player, but I really think the young guy needs a rest from 1st team football, he needs to recharge his batteries as it were, and he isn't going to be able to do it playing first team football week in week out. Also if there are any of the lads from last year's successful under 19 squad available, why not put them on the bench and maybe introduce some new blood into the squad. Kurtis Byrne I think needs a chance in the team, that is of course if he isn't on loan. Aside from that I'm a Happy Clapper as you say, I've always been an optomist, perhaps to my detriment in some cases.

ahibby
25-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I am a doom and gloomer. Probably wouldn't have been if we had been able to keep our first choice eleven fit and out of suspension. Got to the stage now were I have no idea what our best side is and whether we have a goalie suitable of the title. Too much tinkering with the side me thinks. One positive of having played more players in the first team than I thought we would have is that more players have a vested interest. I don't really buy in to they aren't trying their hardest, I think it's down to our tactics and positioning which is down to the gaffer.

Franck is God
25-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I've seen Hibs play in the first division twice. Almost seen them go out of business. Seen them knocked out of both league and Scottish cup by far worse sides than Ross County, was at Ibrox when we conceded 7, at Tynie when we conceded 5 and 4 and at Hampden to see us lose the biggest Derby in our history, had to watch Alex Miller's team for over ten years and as a result had to see Greg Miller in a Hibs shirt....I could go on but you get the picture

For every high there has always been many many more lows. The last couple of months has been pretty disappointing but it is not the end of the world. We are still in 5th place and only 2 points of 3rd with a game in hand, narrowly knocked out the SC quarter final after a tricky replay away from home.

I can't remember too many seasons over the last 30 years that have been much better than this one and its not even over yet....

These are not the comments of a happy clapper just a seasoned fan that has seen it be a lot worse....

Peevemor
25-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I've seen Hibs play in the first division twice. Almost seen them go out of business. Seen them knocked out of both league and Scottish cup by far worse sides than Ross County, was at Ibrox when we conceded 7, at Tynie when we conceded 5 and 4 and at Hampden to see us lose the biggest Derby in our history, had to watch Alex Miller's team for over ten years and as a result had to see Greg Miller in a Hibs shirt....I could go on but you get the picture

For every high there has always been many many more lows. The last couple of months has been pretty disappointing but it is not the end of the world. We are still in 5th place and only 2 points of 3rd with a game in hand, narrowly knocked out the SC quarter final after a tricky replay away from home.

I can't remember too many seasons over the last 30 years that have been much better than this one and its not even over yet....

These are not the comments of a happy clapper just a seasoned fan that has seen it be a lot worse....

:top marks

Phil MaGlass
25-03-2010, 12:17 PM

it wasnt a few weeks ago, it was a few months ago(pedantic,Phil;->)

Speedway
25-03-2010, 12:22 PM
it wasnt a few weeks ago, it was a few months ago(pedantic,Phil;->)

Which is the same thing depending on the maximum that can be termed 'a few'

HibeeMG
25-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm a happy clapper with a feeling of doom and gloom at them moment! :confused:

iwasthere1972
25-03-2010, 12:30 PM

:top marks

I would like to see all those doom and gloomers banned from hibs.net until they have seen shrinks and got it out of their systems.

Have faith.

Yours

Happy Clapper

Phil MaGlass
25-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Which is the same thing depending on the maximum that can be termed 'a few'

I think a few is 3-5,6,then youre talking months, and 12 would definitely be months. Or would it mmm..

sahib
25-03-2010, 12:37 PM
At the end of the Mowbray era, when we were losing all our decent young players and Collins was getting no real cash to replace them, then I was firmly a doom and gloomer. Now with a new stand on the way and a club on a firm financial footing (or so we must assume) then it takes more than a typical Hibs run of results to worry me.
This is actually quite an interesting situation, questions will be asked of the manager and he will have the opportunity to step up to the mark and show us what he is made of ( add your own cliche here) etc.
If you just turn up at games to be thrilled and expect to see us win week in week out, then there may be some cause for mild despair. For all the armchair managers and coaches, though, and all of us that like the whole soap opera aspect of supporting a club then it is still quite absorbing.

Moulin Yarns
25-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Always will be :wink::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper ::clapper::clapper:

BoltonHibee
25-03-2010, 12:42 PM
From a footballing perspective, I am firmly in the Doom and Gloomer camp. I have been for over 2 seasons now.

I see no improvement in the footballing side under Yogi, under Mixu it was also dreadful.

The rest of it, Stand etc. I don't give a ****

iwasthere1972
25-03-2010, 12:47 PM
From a footballing perspective, I am firmly in the Doom and Gloomer camp. I have been for over 2 seasons now.

I see no improvement in the footballing side under Yogi, under Mixu it was also dreadful.

The rest of it, Stand etc. I don't give a ****

:agree: Remember sitting next to you a few years back. :wink:

Beefster
25-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Dinnae tell me that we're starting this nonsense again? The whole 'D&G/HC' uberfan debate was my least favourite bit of Mixu's tenure and that's saying something.

BoltonHibee
25-03-2010, 12:51 PM
:agree: Remember sitting next to you a few years back. :wink:

That was me on a good day:greengrin

I'm just fed up of it all. I couldn't believe how far we had deteriorated in footballing terms under Mixu and why the Board let it drag on for as long as it did. I think we are in a pretty similar situation now unfortunately. I have suspected as much, eevn going back to the pre season games and the way Yogi set his team out and the way he tried to play.

Nothing has convinced me I am wrong. I think Yogi talks a great game, tells Hibs fans what they want to hear, but unfortunately in reality looks to be a poor coach and and even worse tactician.

The sooner he is punted, I may return to my once happy clapping of the Mowbray/ Collins era:wink:

jakedance
25-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Dinnae tell me that we're starting this nonsense again? The whole 'D&G/HC' uberfan debate was my least favourite bit of Mixu's tenure and that's saying something.

I was about to post the same thing. I really can't be bothered with this **** again where everyone is labelled one way or the other. What's wrong with having a considered rational opinion of things that falls somewhere in the middle?

In the years I've been watching Hibs we've mostly been average, occasionally been terrible and sometimes been pretty good. "happy clapping" or "doom and glooming" are as irrational as the hysteria that follows three or four good or bad results in a row.

capi
25-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Tore up my season ticket application after Tuesday's result. Just downloaded it again and filled it in - says it all!

Been watching Hibs since 1963 and have seen some ****** during that time. So I think I can live with the last couple of months and see how Yogi does for the rest of the season.

He has the passion for the club, let's see if he has the nous to now set the side up correctly (players in their proper positions and others never to be seen again).

If not - smashing guy he may be, but if it's a choice between him or my club - no contest!

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Probably stuck somewhere between Churchy and Blackpoolhibs.
Holy ****, that's a thought........:rolleyes::eek:

Phil D. Rolls
25-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Take the rough with the smooth, don't get too excited when things go well, don't get too down when they don't. I am, in fact, a spineless, methadone swilling, unambitous, peg selling Hobo, who sometimes lives quite near Lochend.

GGTH

iwasthere1972
25-03-2010, 05:09 PM
That was me on a good day:greengrin

I'm just fed up of it all. I couldn't believe how far we had deteriorated in footballing terms under Mixu and why the Board let it drag on for as long as it did. I think we are in a pretty similar situation now unfortunately. I have suspected as much, eevn going back to the pre season games and the way Yogi set his team out and the way he tried to play.

Nothing has convinced me I am wrong. I think Yogi talks a great game, tells Hibs fans what they want to hear, but unfortunately in reality looks to be a poor coach and and even worse tactician.

The sooner he is punted, I may return to my once happy clapping of the Mowbray/ Collins era:wink:

Collins was in charge on the day in question. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
25-03-2010, 05:11 PM

We've swapped positions, mate.

I've had it.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 05:33 PM
We've swapped positions, mate.

I've had it.

Never had you down as that fickle dave.:wink:

One Day Soon
25-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Not too far wrong apart from the highlighted bit. Not the biggest derby, THAT was winning seven nil at Tynecastle. Just because 400,000 deluded Yams like to keep parroting the notion that a cup semi was the biggest derby does not make it so. Y

ou can't parade three points or a semi final win on a bus. But a 7-0 humping on their own turf, that lasts a very long time.

The_Todd
25-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I've come away from a few matches this season (and last, and the one before that...) saying to myself "That's it. Not going back this season", but still end up coughing up another £22 for more.

I can't stay mad at the Hibs, I just can't. Despite the amazing collapse we've put ourselves through the only team to really take advantage is Motherwell. Neither Dundee Utd or even Celtic for that matter have pulled so far out of sight that anything's beyond us, showing either how cack the SPL or how close and entertaining it is (you decide) and I'll be there on Wednesday night knowing that if we raise our game all this talk of "season over" will be history, just like the "can we finish second?" chat of a few months ago is.

So, I'm summary - a Happy Clapper. This seasons Hibs are on a C or C-, can and must do better. With a bit of application, the end of season report could still be a B. Watch this space.

Alfred E Newman
25-03-2010, 06:26 PM
After being well and truly rodgered by Hearts on Saturday and totally embarassed by Ist Div County on Tuesday it is beyond me how anyone can be happy clapping at this moment in time. :grr:

Hibbyradge
25-03-2010, 06:28 PM
After being well and truly rodgered by Hearts on Saturday and totally embarassed by Ist Div County on Tuesday it is beyond me how anyone can be happy clapping at this moment in time. :grr:

Add in pathetic performances against Irvine Meadow and Montrose.

Brizo
25-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Im a gloomy clapper :grr: :thumbsup:

Worried that the Falkirk fans were right and that Yogis all talk and no plan B.
But remembering some pre January displays and hoping that someday soon it will be "vision" on.

erskine-hibby
26-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't get how anybody can be happy after the last 2 months:confused:
There is a trend here and if it keeps up (which certainly looks likely) 5th may be the best we can hope for.
That said, I feel we have a better squad than last season, it's just this nagging question over the managers ability to get the best out of them... sound familiar??

Sir David Gray
26-03-2010, 12:04 AM
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being a 'doom and gloomer' and 10 being a 'happy clapper', I'm probably about a 3.5 at the moment.

heretoday
26-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Unhappy clapper. They only lost 2-1 at Tynie. Ross County are near the top of the 1st Division. They are on a roll.

Things can only get better.