PDA

View Full Version : Why is Yogi not getting the fighting spirit from our players

Eaststand
24-03-2010, 08:11 PM
This really puzzles me cos as a player Yogi wasn't the type to take any crap from anyone, he was always very strong minded, and was always a well up for a fight type of guy.....so how the hell is it that this team is playing like a bunch of woosies for most of the last few months...has anyone got any ideas what it can be ?

Arch Stanton
24-03-2010, 08:24 PM
This really puzzles me cos as a player Yogi wasn't the type to take any crap from anyone, he was always very strong minded, and was always a well up for a fight type of guy.....so how the hell is it that this team is playing like a bunch of woosies for most of the last few months...has anyone got any ideas what it can be ?

I know - anybody in their right mind would expect Craig Brown would be the manager of a team of woosies, but he isn't because it doesn't work that way. You just don't inspire people by being big and brash and shouting at them - hopefully Hughes will figure that out.

borstalboy
24-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Yogi was in the paper last week saying how he was trying to have a laugh and a joke with the players to lighten the mood and not crack the whip!.....I say ***** that and start cracking that whip, find out who's actually up for it, rattle a few cages! Show people they aren't bigger than the club!

:notworthy:

truehibernian
24-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Yogi was in the paper last week saying how he was trying to have a laugh and a joke with the players to lighten the mood and not crack the whip!.....I say ***** that and start cracking that whip, find out who's actually up for it, rattle a few cages! Show people they aren't bigger than the club!

:notworthy:

Agreed. Old school veeeeeolence. It's the only way ahead for these pussies. Tea cups and football boots please Yogi, and none of that cuddles and bloody magic dust you sprinkle about :agree:

Bob Box Fish
24-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Players playing in wrong position and wrong balance to the team. Currently watching d utd these boys are physical and will destroy us, however, if, and a big if given we play the right side / players in position we have a chance their centre halfs look very slow ....

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 09:03 PM

How many players do we have that are battlers? Go through the side, there's not many, 2 maybe 3 at most. Until such time as we get some physically stronger players, we wont be winning many battles soon.

hibsitis
24-03-2010, 10:10 PM
United's assistant manager can get the team to the semi's against Rangers, including coming back from 3-1 down at Ibrox. We, on the other hand, can't beat an ex-Highland league team after being 1-0, 2-1 and 1-0 up against them.

Anyone who thinks Yogi is still the man given the budget he has, really needs to start smelling the coffee. He has benefitted from poor managers at Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen (and, arguably, Celtic) and we are starting to see the difference at a couple of these at least which is one reason we are where we are.

In short, Yogi, as you can hear through his interviews and see through his selections, formations, motivation and substitutions, is not one of the game's deep thinkers and has more than reached his level. Any number of managers in Scotland with the talent at his disposal could have achieved so much more.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:15 PM
United's assistant manager can get the team to the semi's against Rangers, including coming back from 3-1 down at Ibrox. We, on the other hand, can't beat an ex-Highland league team after being 1-0, 2-1 and 1-0 up against them.

Anyone who thinks Yogi is still the man given the budget he has, really needs to start smelling the coffee. He has benefitted from poor managers at Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen (and, arguably, Celtic) and we are starting to see the difference at a couple of these at least which is one reason we are where we are.

In short, Yogi, as you can hear through his interviews and see through his selections, formations, motivation and substitutions, is not one of the game's deep thinkers and has more than reached his level. Any number of managers in Scotland with the talent at his disposal could have achieved so much more.

Have united built that team in 8 months?

HibbyRod
24-03-2010, 10:20 PM

I can see where you are coming from hibsitis1 .... genuinely, and concur on most points.

However, I am still in the camp that I believe he needs at least another full season to prove his credentials! ...Hope I am proven Correct!!!! :greengrin

hibsitis
24-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Have united built that team in 8 months?

Regardless of how long he's been in charge, the questions are: With his budget and experience, should he be getting more from his players than last night and where we are in the league and should we be losing 5-1 to the likes of St Johnstone and going out of the League cup to them at home in addition to not being able to beat Ross County over 2 legs?

Yogi has ridden his luck in a poor league with cash to spend and his crude attempts at crowd pleasing interviews buy him no time in my eyes. His length of time in charge does not excuse some of the selections and performances we have seen this season.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Regardless of how long he's been in charge, the questions are: With his budget and experience, should he be getting more from his players than last night and where we are in the league and should we be losing 5-1 to the likes of St Johnstone and going out of the League cup to them at home in addition to not being able to beat Ross County over 2 legs?

Yogi has ridden his luck in a poor league with cash to spend and his crude attempts at crowd pleasing interviews buy him no time in my eyes. His length of time in charge does not excuse some of the selections and performances we have seen this season.

Dundee utd have been building that team for 3 seasons now, first under levein, and now houston carrying it on. We are 2 points behind them, and 3 seasons, yet we should be above them, with a worse squad of players.:confused:

Baader
25-03-2010, 10:55 AM

This is what is worrying me about the current situation. There is a good squad of players there. To only take them to, say, fifth in the SPL means something is very wrong...

hibsitis
25-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Dundee utd have been building that team for 3 seasons now, first under levein, and now houston carrying it on. We are 2 points behind them, and 3 seasons, yet we should be above them, with a worse squad of players.:confused:

It shouldn't take him 3 seasons to build a squad capable of beating Ross County over two legs and managing not to lose 5-1 to St Johnstone and lose to them at home in the cup.

As I said, he has ridden his luck in a poor league and doesn't seem capable of sustained performances. Inconsistency is what has bedevilled us for years and a good manager should be capable of dealing with that in the current season given the the squad and funds apparently available.

SalfordHibs
25-03-2010, 12:09 PM

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 12:17 PM
It shouldn't take him 3 seasons to build a squad capable of beating Ross County over two legs and managing not to lose 5-1 to St Johnstone and lose to them at home in the cup.
We have no devine right to beat anyone. What makes you think we are so good
As I said, he has ridden his luck in a poor league and doesn't seem capable of sustained performances. Inconsistency is what has bedevilled us for years and a good manager should be capable of dealing with that in the current season given the the squad and funds apparently available.

Do you mean a sustained period of performances that had us 2 points from 2nd, 5 weeks ago? As usual, we are lucky when we win, but ***** when we lose.:bitchy: I keep hearing this quote on how much money we have spent, and our squad being the 3rd best in scotland. We dont have the 3rd best squad imho, but we do have 2 or 3 good players, supplimented with quite a bit of dross. Can you also give me any facts on this huge spending we have done, thats taken us away from out competitors?

Franck is God
25-03-2010, 12:23 PM
I think there are too many players gauaranteed their start every week. There are two or three players that rotate in and out the team but thats about it. IMO we do not have any players at the club that are so consistantly good that they cannot be dropped.

I didn't go up to Dingwall on Tuesday and I've not see any highlights, does anyone that played deserve to keep their place? If not get them out the team, simple as that.

Our second string team have been heading down to the north east all season playing pretty strong Newcastle & Sunderland reserve sides and certainly not disgracing themselves. Start them on Saturday against the worst team in the SPL, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Cinntwamob
25-03-2010, 12:33 PM
He has got it right and now wrong. His bluff man of the people style alternates between his I dote on my boys style. He needs to tine his style to the individual players. As soon as he manages it we will hub teams of which we are
more than capable of doing.

Ggtth

Niffy
25-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Fk knows what's wrong , it's been deterioating for ages, I said before the first RC game we were in bother , and got slated, usual jambo pokes and all that.

We struggled to put out Irvine Meadow for f***sake.

Wish I was on here with answers.
Was the same with Collins, great first third of a season then complete bottle crash.
Seems to happen every time.

Change managers twice a season everyone ?????

Bayern Bru
25-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Fk knows what's wrong , it's been deterioating for ages, I said before the first RC game we were in bother , and got slated, usual jambo pokes and all that.

We struggled to put out Irvine Meadow for f***sake.

Wish I was on here with answers.
Was the same with Collins, great first third of a season then complete bottle crash.
Seems to happen every time.

Change managers twice a season everyone ?????

Ah yes, the Real Madrid model, the revolving door of managers. :greengrin
I hear Jocky Scott's out of a job at the moment... :devil:

Niffy
25-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Old torn face ??? No thanks.

Hughes is welcome to go to Celtic if he cannae get a spark out of those players.

Spewin... all these points watsed & Celtic in turmoil... 2nd place SHOULD have been easy this year.

Part/Time Supporter
25-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Do you mean a sustained period of performances that had us 2 points from 2nd, 5 weeks ago? As usual, we are lucky when we win, but ***** when we lose.:bitchy: I keep hearing this quote on how much money we have spent, and our squad being the 3rd best in scotland. We dont have the 3rd best squad imho, but we do have 2 or 3 good players, supplimented with quite a bit of dross. Can you also give me any facts on this huge spending we have done, thats taken us away from out competitors?

This struck me as being applicable to Hibs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8586636.stm).

We have a few very talented players in our team, but it is a very unbalanced squad. Individually, we have some very good players, but this is not being converted into a good team performance.

Nobody at the club should delude themselves that we are a good team. The table at this stage of the season does not lie.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 03:28 PM
This struck me as being applicable to Hibs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8586636.stm).

You have more chance of biting your own arse, than hibs supporters getting behind the team. Some dont give a toss, others cant wait to be proven right, and some more dont know the meaning of supporting the team. As i have said before, if the team are playing badly, the support are having a nightmare. I wish there was a transfer system for supporters, i'd be trying my best to get some portsmouth and stoke fans at the club in the summer.

Dirkster23
25-03-2010, 03:35 PM
You have more chance of biting your own arse, than hibs supporters getting behind the team. Some dont give a toss, others cant wait to be proven right, and some more dont know the meaning of supporting the team. As i have said before, if the team are playing badly, the support are having a nightmare. I wish there was a transfer system for supporters, i'd be trying my best to get some portsmouth and stoke fans at the club in the summer.

Did you not stop going to games because you wanted Mixu out??

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Did you not stop going to games because you wanted Mixu out??

Correct, I was not prepared to travel 450 miles each week. If i still lived in leith, i'd have still gone. I also would never abuse the team while at any game.

mjhibby
25-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Well if jim spence is to believed we are only joint fifth highest spenders in the league.After the gruesome twosome come hertz who by some distance spend more than the other 9 teams,then come aberdeen and then us and the arabs are about the same.We will find out when the accounts for each team are published (maybe not hertz of course as they live on a different planet)but to say yogi should definetely be third is stretching it a bit.He has brought good players to the club but on a budget but as he says is a work in progress.will he get time to finish it.Well see.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Well if jim spence is to believed we are only joint fifth highest spenders in the league.After the gruesome twosome come hertz who by some distance spend more than the other 9 teams,then come aberdeen and then us and the arabs are about the same.We will find out when the accounts for each team are published (maybe not hertz of course as they live on a different planet)but to say yogi should definetely be third is stretching it a bit.He has brought good players to the club but on a budget but as he says is a work in progress.will he get time to finish it.Well see.

Thank you, although we will have the usual suspects on soon, rubbishing this, but failing to produce any facts to back it up.

Dirkster23
25-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Correct, I was not prepared to travel 450 miles each week. If i still lived in leith, i'd have still gone. I also would never abuse the team while at any game.

I don't quite understand your logic. You weren't prepared to travel 450 miles but you are now? So what it boils down to is you back Yogi so are prepared to travel, but when you wanted Mixu out you stopped attending.

Strange that you now feel you have to spend every day telling other fans how the should get behind the team in times of trouble.

FWIW, I never abuse the team at games either.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
25-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Why is Yogi not getting the sack should be your point! :grr:

Eaststand
25-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Why is Yogi not getting the sack should be your point! :grr:

I know this reply isn't directly related to the topic on this thread, but WTF, it seems to fit.
I've followed our team through thick and thin, home, away, abroad for over 50 years, I've been hit at Ibrox, Parkheid and has some very dodgy moments, BUT like everybody else, I've had some excellent highs, and a few lows from being a hibby. It's called being a Hibby

I've got a few mates who go west most weekends to follow the 2 clubs that mostly share out the prizes in Scotland...I often call them trophy hunting twats, who contribute to the success of Weegie club, but it's their choice eh.
Me, I'll always be a Hibby and the OF can go fk themselves.

I love my football club, and always will, it's the club I support, and like most of us, it's a family thing, cos my son, daughter, my dad, grandad and all of my family loved/love our club too.

now I know I'm waffling a bit, but here's the link - Yogi's a local laddie and I know his family all have our club in their veins too.....he will breath and live getting it right, but he needs time.
He's fairly young in managerial terms, and would probably admit that he's made a couple of bad signings, and some tactical mistakes, but guess what..we all make mistakes, but if we're clever, we learn from them. Yogi will get it sorted, but just needs a Summer to get a few out and few battlers in, but he'll do that

We're not playing well at the minute, but loads of teams go through that in a season
As the Guinness advert says, and I think it applies to us ..all good things come to those who wait

GGTTH:cheers:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't quite understand your logic. You weren't prepared to travel 450 miles but you are now? So what it boils down to is you back Yogi so are prepared to travel, but when you wanted Mixu out you stopped attending.

Strange that you now feel you have to spend every day telling other fans how the should get behind the team in times of trouble.

FWIW, I never abuse the team at games either.

I see progress, i see a team in a fight for 3rd place. I dont see a team struggling at 6th or 7th. Fighting for a place in the top 6 is not my idea of success. Fighting for a European place is, whoevers in charge.

Niffy
25-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Yogi's had a reality check maybe.... ??

"But it's done and dusted, so let's look forward and give ourselves an opportunity to stay in the top six and fight for the European spot...."

What happened to 3rd place ?

But it's ok , we have a right to be annoyed.
Ah, I feel so much better now.

Alfred E Newman
25-03-2010, 07:32 PM

1300 got behind the team on Tuesday and received nothing back in return. What should they have done? Given the team a standing ovation as they left the park?

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 07:41 PM
1300 got behind the team on Tuesday and received nothing back in return. What should they have done? Given the team a standing ovation as they left the park?

No they never, there's been numerous threads about the abuse the team was getting, even at 0-0. WTF is all that about? I have said before, i have no problem with the fans booing after the final whistle, or ripping into them on here or in the pubs/at work. But if you think the fans are behind the team as one on match days, you are severely mistaken.

I'm_cabbaged
25-03-2010, 07:45 PM

:faf:

That's rich coming from you!!!

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Here is a text i recieved from Bob Potter during the 1st half, word for word.

( this is the most subdued hibs support ever)

Now i was not there, but does that sound like the support getting behind the team when we need them?

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 07:47 PM
:faf:

That's rich coming from you!!!

Aye but i was right, 100%

Dirkster23
25-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I see progress, i see a team in a fight for 3rd place. I dont see a team struggling at 6th or 7th. Fighting for a place in the top 6 is not my idea of success. Fighting for a European place is, whoevers in charge.

So you go on about Hibs fans not getting behind their team, but stopped going yourself because you didn't like Mixu.

You decide if your going to follow the team dependant on their league position and if you think they're progressing.

Really bizarre you've spent so long recently telling other people to get behind the team whe you decided to dump them when it suited you!

Ed De Gramo
25-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Now i was not there, but does that sound like the support getting behind the team when we need them?

Was he in the terracing or the boring barstewards stand :wink:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 07:54 PM
So you go on about Hibs fans not getting behind their team, but stopped going yourself because you didn't like Mixu.

You decide if your going to follow the team dependant on their league position and if you think they're progressing.

Really bizarre you've spent so long recently telling other people to get behind the team whe you decided to dump them when it suited you!

Its difficult getting the bodies to fill cars for the journey, it was left to me and one other to pick up the bill every week, financially it was costing an absolute fortune. I did carry on going to some games, but when i added up what it was costing, the time AND what i was watching, those were the REASONS why i stopped going every week. I did say though, if i'd still lived in edinburgh, i'd have still gone to every game, home and away, NO MATTER WHO WAS IN CHARGE.

Dirkster23
25-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Its difficult getting the bodies to fill cars for the journey, it was left to me and one other to pick up the bill every week, financially it was costing an absolute fortune. I did carry on going, but when i added up what it was costing, the time AND what i was watching, those were the REASONS why i stopped going. I did say though, if i'd still lived in edinburgh, i'd have still gone to every game, home and away, NO MATTER WHO WAS IN CHARGE.

I've maybe got it wrong then and i'm not going to trawl back, but i'm sure you said you weren't going back until Mixu was out.

Alfred E Newman
25-03-2010, 08:02 PM

So really ,what you are saying is , the 1300 who trailed up to Dingwall are to to blame for our embarassing cup exit . :faf:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 08:40 PM
So really ,what you are saying is , the 1300 who trailed up to Dingwall are to to blame for our embarassing cup exit . :faf:

I'm not saying that at all, stop putting words into my mouth. :bitchy: If you read it, what i am saying is a lot of our support are not supporting, they are abusing. What good is that doing? The support that travelled to dingwall deserve a medal, well at least those who went to back the team.

BEEJ
25-03-2010, 09:06 PM
You have more chance of biting your own arse, than hibs supporters getting behind the team. Some dont give a toss, others cant wait to be proven right, and some more dont know the meaning of supporting the team. As i have said before, if the team are playing badly, the support are having a nightmare.

So who are you moaning about, angry foul-mouthed 'supporters' who abuse Hibs players at the matches or angry / dejected supporters expressing their frustration on here.

They are not one and the same.

You were rigidly in the latter camp under Mixu but now appear to be having a go at those of a similar mindset now.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 09:40 PM
So who are you moaning about, angry foul-mouthed 'supporters' who abuse Hibs players at the matches or angry / dejected supporters expressing their frustration on here.

They are not one and the same.

You were rigidly in the latter camp under Mixu but now appear to be having a go at those of a similar mindset now.

Show me where i'm having a go at folk voicing their opinions here? THIS is the place to do it, NOT ON A MATCH DAY DURING THE GAME. I may disagree with what some are saying about the team/manager, but they are all entitled to their opinion. The atmosphere at the games these days as a fan has become very different from when i first started going, i have never heard as much abuse as we get these days, and its been getting steadily worse over the last few seasons. I wonder why some people go.

IWasThere2016
25-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Show me where i'm having a go at folk voicing their opinions here? THIS is the place to do it, NOT ON A MATCH DAY DURING THE GAME. I may disagree with what some are saying about the team/manager, but they are all entitled to their opinion. The atmosphere at the games these days as a fan has become very different from when i first started going, i have never heard as much abuse as we get these days, and its been getting steadily worse over the last few seasons. I wonder why some people go.

You've just done it to me on the PM Board :wink:

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 11:00 PM
You've just done it to me on the PM Board :wink:

You are different, you have been against him from day 1, he'd have to win the treble and the boat race for you to say something decent about Yogi. You have never given the man a chance, and the constant sniping, even when we were winning, was just wrong.

3pm
25-03-2010, 11:11 PM
You are different, you have been against him from day 1, he'd have to win the treble and the boat race for you to say something decent about Yogi. You have never given the man a chance, and the constant sniping, even when we were winning, was just wrong.

Too many got carried away by winning and forgot about the performances. TQM was right in that respect.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Too many got carried away by winning and forgot about the performances. TQM was right in that respect.

I agree, we were never as good as some thought, but we are not as bad as he thinks now.

hibsitis
25-03-2010, 11:50 PM

This smacks a bit of clutching at straws. 5 weeks ago we were coming to the end of a the period during which, as I have highlighted twice before, we were riding our luck. Managerial changes at other clubs have affected our league position and have started to ask questions of Yogi that were not asked earlier in the season.

BH - you seem to think that our earlier season form means that we should not analyse Yogi's overall performance despite some appalling recent results which should not have happened to a good manager. Hibs have no divine right to win anything but we do have a right to realistic expectations given our resources.

You ask about spending figures. According to http://www.football-finances.org.uk in 2008, our wages bill was £4.6m compared with Dundee Utd's £3.3m, Aberdeen's £5.9m, Motherwell's £3.4m or Hearts £11.3m. Not all have published figures for 2009 (tho our number increased to £4.7m) but we can assume the relativities won't have changed too much (maybe apart from the Yams). So, we have a huge % differential between our spending and that of the two teams above us. Don't ask me why Aberdeen and Hearts are not punching their weights - tho if you want me to guess it's because they have had poorer managers and one has now done something about this, halving the points difference between us and them in the process.

I outlined in an earlier post the areas in which I thought Yogi was weak. Perhaps you could tell us specifically which aspects of his management skills you think stand him in good stead and ultimately will make the difference.