Miller still class on his day,
Bamba - in midfield using his physical presence
McBride good tidy player/anchorman
Stokes prolific scorer. His record speaks for itself

Part of squad but not regular starters:

Stack -solid number two to Smith
Riordan - I would use him as super-sub/impact player
Nish target-man/a handful for most defences/offers alternative

Any player/s not listed above is on my get-rid-of list. These are the players who simply do not have what it takes to move up to the next level-namely: Hibs genuinely and regularly challenging for 3rd spot, maybe even split the old firm. These are the players who are either inconsistent; shirkers; lack fight; lack quality; suffer/feign regular injuries.

Over to you Yogi

MacBean
24-03-2010, 04:44 PM
In my first team:

Smith solid. My number 1 keeper
Murray consistently high performer, Mr dependable. Injuries my only concern
Wotherspoon A star in the making.

Any player/s not listed above is on my get-rid-of list. These are the players who simply do not have what it takes to move up to the next level-namely: Hibs genuinely and regularly challenging for 3rd spot, maybe even split the old firm. These are the players who are either inconsistent; shirkers; lack fight; lack quality; suffer/feign regular injuries.

Over to you Yogi

I would include Hanlon as he is an up and comer!

Hibs90
24-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Players I would keep:

Smith
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Riordan
Nish
Stokes
Zemmama

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 04:53 PM
feign regular injuries.

I'd still like to know where all this comes from:confused:

scoopyboy
24-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I would include Hanlon as he is an up and comer!

I would like to think that the OP has simply forgotten about Hanlon.

Anyone who wants to get rid of Hanlon I'm afraid can't tell a fantastic prospect when he sees one.

Captain of national 19s, already a mainstay in the 21s and is really highly thought of at Hampden with the Scotland staff.

noseyhibby
24-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I would like to think that the OP has simply forgotten about Hanlon.

Anyone who wants to get rid of Hanlon I'm afraid can't tell a fantastic prospect when he sees one.

Captain of national 19s, already a mainstay in the 21s and is really highly thought of at Hampden with the Scotland staff.

I don't actually rate him. I hope I'm wrong as he occasionally shows some promise, but that spark is not there for me -not like Wotherspoon.

scoopyboy
24-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't actually rate him. I hope I'm wrong as he occasionally shows some promise, but that spark is not there for me -not like Wotherspoon.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but I also hope you are wrong in this instance.

He is a different type of player to D and it is quite unusual to see a youngster outstanding at 20 in the centre of defence.

Most laddies IMO that are teen sensations tend to be midfielders or forwards.

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Players I would keep:

Smith
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Riordan
Nish
Stokes
Zemmama

and Ian Murray

Hibs90
24-03-2010, 05:22 PM
and Ian Murray

Unless he starts upping his game, nope.

.Sean.
24-03-2010, 05:23 PM
You are of course entitled to your opinion but I also hope you are wrong in this instance.

He is a different type of player to D and it is quite unusual to see a youngster outstanding at 20 in the centre of defence.

Most laddies IMO that are teen sensations tend to be midfielders or forwards.
Off-topic here but will there be a bus on saturday Jock?

scoopyboy
24-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Off-topic here but will there be a bus on saturday Jock?

Give Josh a phone.

truehibernian
24-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Hopefully Nish played his way out of Hibs last night. Slow, dithery, cannot play offside, on his erchie most of the game. Journeyman footballer, lovely bloke. Too one dimensional.................the dimension being horizontal ! Agree about Hanlon.......played his best stuff at centre half and with a real experienced pro/captain alongside, could be a real sensation if left in that position and not left back.

Baader
24-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Hanlon is a great prospect. If fit, I'd be starting him every week.

I think Wotherspoon needs a break. He has surpassed everyone's expectations already this season and is going to be quite a player. I'd be worried though than playing him too regular right now, in a position he shouldn't really be playing, could actually do his prospects more harm than good.

IberianHibernian
24-03-2010, 10:27 PM
In modern game in Europe , players and managers change clubs constantly so we can expect to have a good season ( 3rd or 4th in league , cups are not so important now - reality not my opinion ) one year then a bad one ( relegation or near ) the next . There aren`t many players I`d be sorry to see leave from present squad but think we`ll struggle to sign as much quality so that makes me worried about leavers . For example , Zemmama leaves and we end up with a Scottish clogger like Ian Black or a very inferior player from abroad like Hearts`Suso ( Spanish 3rd division ) who`ll impress for 15 minutes half a dozen games a year ( Sproule type to be fair ) . Whoever stays / leaves we can`t continue with 4 goalies and 4+ strikers while weak in other positions . Hope 2 Moroccans stay - at least they are talented players who entertain even on abad day .

Sir David Gray
24-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Out of the current squad, I would want to keep;

Smith
Stack
Brown

Murray
Bamba
Hanlon
Wotherspoon

McBride
Miller
Zemmama
Galbraith

Nish
Stokes
Riordan

Cameron1875
24-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Murray
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Miller
Mcbride
Stokes

Riordan/Zemmama only if they start putting in more effort and in zoumas case, actually playing.

bighairyfaeleith
25-03-2010, 08:46 AM
what about mark brown?

Allant1981
25-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd keep

smith
hanlon
murray
miller
riordan
stokes

maybe at a push mcbride but if he keeps getting injured then no point in paying a wage for someone who hardly plays

oh aye at wotherspoon

Allant1981
25-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Smith
Stack
Brown

Murray
Bamba
Hanlon
Wotherspoon

McBride
Miller
Zemmama
Galbraith

Nish
Stokes
Riordan

out of interest why nish?

CallumLaidlaw
25-03-2010, 09:03 AM
here was my list posted on the PM board after the game on wednesday -

Smith/Brown - goals
Hanlon
Murray
Bamba
Wotherspoon
Miller
McBride
Zemmama
Riordan
Stokes

I would add Galbraith to that, and the laddie Welsh is meant to be a prospect once he's fit, apart from that, Clear the rest out

morris1
25-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Stack is the better goalkeeper, before his injury he had the best goalkeeping record in scotland AND england! Yes he may not of had a great game on sat but I think dropping him was a huge mistake! Get stack back in goal!:thumbsup:

Cocaine&Caviar
25-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I think we all need to take a step back and consider what the squad achieved first half of the season; obviously with a bit of luck and favorable pitch conditions. However, because of this I don't believe that a total overhaul is needed, just strengthening in a couple of key positions.

I believe it would take as little as three signings to change our spine and bite.

The main areas of concern have been fight in the middle, pace in midfield, playing with a midfield, an authentic right back, and someone up top that can hold the ball up allowing Stokes to make runs in behind, and allowing Riordan to have a better chance of making an impact from the left wing.

As mentioned on other threads, I'd like to see us bring in:

David Gray: Man Utd right back from Edinburgh who is out of contract in the summer. Has been linked previously which made me take an interest in his performances at Plymouth, although he didn't set the world alight, he is a natural right back who has a lot of pace. Also, a Scotland U21 international, and could bring in a bit of profit in the future.

Murray Davidson: has had a great first SPL season, a real old school style box to box midfielder with real determination, work rate and is only 6ft, but makes up for it with his physicality. He hasn't been linked with many, and therefore I think we would have a shot, a transfer fee would be required but with the potential Bamba money, we could match what we have paid in the past.

Kevin Kyle: Although perhaps not a popular choice, he certainly offers what we currently do not have up top, a proper target man who has goals in him. Although not as good a footballer as Nish in terms of Technicality, he makes up for this with his use of his frame and presence. Although Garry O'Connor would be the ideal figure to have here in terms of meeting these attributes, budgeting is obviously an issue. Both are available for free in the summer, but Kyle is far more realistic.

A few others I would like to see would be:

Mulgrew: again on a free, giving another option at Left Back as Stevenson and Hanlon should not be used there again in the future IMO. This would also give an option of Murray in midfield. Also at 6'3, offers another great aerial target. A proven SPL performer.

Mark Kerr: another player available on a free transfer, who has a great deal of SPL experience, and a lot of grit and determination in midfield that we currently lack.

SalfordHibs
25-03-2010, 09:42 AM
here was my list posted on the PM board after the game on wednesday -

Smith/Brown - goals
Hanlon
Murray
Bamba- Will be sold
Wotherspoon
Miller
McBride- Have my doubts
Zemmama
Riordan- May want away
Stokes- Might be sold

I would add Galbraith to that, and the laddie Welsh is meant to be a prospect once he's fit, apart from that, Clear the rest out

i think our goal keepers will be Stack/Brown.

allmodcons
25-03-2010, 09:49 AM
It's all very well getting rid of a dozen or so players because you think they're not good enough or dare I say not 'Hibs class'.

The problem is you have to take in replacements who are better than those you ship out!

Look at the mess Mowbray is in at Celtic because he's moved out too many players too quickly.

Allant1981
25-03-2010, 09:51 AM
It's all very well getting rid of a dozen or so players because you think they're not good enough or dare I say not 'Hibs class'.

The problem is you have to take in replacements who are better than those you ship out!

Look at the mess Mowbray is in at Celtic because he's moved out too many players too quickly.

yet they are still sitting 2nd in the league and in the semi of the scottish

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Exactly, we have some really good players in the squad, its just a case of adding to that in the next few windows. While there is some crap, you cant just go punting players without finding good replacements.

We already have a fairly small squad as it is, and with injuries and so on finally having a result on our squad, we dont have that many options to really freshen things up. Alot of guys are capable squad players, would hold on to them and try and bring in players who will have a better impact on the first team.

allmodcons
25-03-2010, 10:03 AM
yet they are still sitting 2nd in the league and in the semi of the scottish

Are you seriously suggesting Celtic are having a good season under Mowbray ?

I think you'll find Celtic's expectations are little higher than ours, which might be down to the fact that they've got a much larger budget than Hibs for attracting players!

Expecting Rain
25-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Stack
Hogg
Rankin
Nish
Benji

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Yogi.

Expecting Rain
25-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Stack
Hogg
Rankin
Nish
Benji

Sorry hit and clicked on paste again by mistake, i would keep the same players as FalkirkHibee.

Allant1981
25-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Are you seriously suggesting Celtic are having a good season under Mowbary ?

I think you'll find Celtic's expectations are little higher than ours, which might be down to the fact that they've got a much larger budget than Hibs for attracting players!

cant see where i suggested celtic were having a good season and i cant say i really care if they are or not, what i was suggesting was i'd be glad to swap, even after getting rid of a whack of players they are still 2nd and in the semi of the SC, somewhere id love hibs to be

allmodcons
25-03-2010, 10:45 AM
cant see where i suggested celtic were having a good season and i cant say i really care if they are or not, what i was suggesting was i'd be glad to swap, even after getting rid of a whack of players they are still 2nd and in the semi of the SC, somewhere id love hibs to be

Goes without saying I'd love to see Hibs 2nd in SPL and in the SC semi.

My point was that Mowbray's problems at Celtic stem from him shifting too many players out at one time. In the context of the thread, this is not something I would want to see happening at Hibs.

SalfordHibs
25-03-2010, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=churchy;2402783]Stack
Hogg http://209.85.48.8/9862/14/emo/e5010252.gif (javascript:emoticon(';mutley;'))

Rankin http://209.85.48.8/9862/14/emo/e5010252.gif (javascript:emoticon(';mutley;'))

Nish http://209.85.48.8/9862/14/emo/e5010252.gif (javascript:emoticon(';mutley;'))

andrew70
25-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Smith
Stack
Brown - GK

Murray - LB
Bamba - RCH
Hanlon - LCH
Wotherspoon -RB

McBride - CM
Miller - CM
Zemmama - RM
Galbraith -LM

Nish
Stokes - ST
Riordan - ST

That'd be my team for the rest of season barring injuries.

Stevie Reid
25-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Yogi was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that there wouldn't be many leaving the club in the summer. Whilst at the time it looked like a reasonable statement given the results we had achieved up until that point, on reflection it's maybe been responsible for a few of the players not giving 100% due to being too comfortable.

Owain_1987
25-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I would keep;

Yep thats it.

SalfordHibs
25-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Yogi was quoted a few weeks ago as saying that there wouldn't be many leaving the club in the summer. Whilst at the time it looked like a reasonable statement given the results we had achieved up until that point, on reflection it's maybe been responsible for a few of the players not giving 100% due to being too comfortable.

If Yogi is still here i think we can see that statement changing on recent performances and results, lack of fight or passion, i can see alot being shipped out.

Aldo
25-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Two totally different players...one attacking MF playing converted to wing back where Hanlon is a CH.

Both excellent players and for me Hanlon is the best CH at the club and should start every week IMHO. When Bamba is sold he will save us at least 3 mil trying to find a replacement.

You have your opinion however you are way off the mark if you dont rate Hanlon.

Baw187
25-03-2010, 12:17 PM
It's more about the tactics we're playing than the players on the park. Although they are being made to look crap as a result. Yes, one or 2 actually are crap but not as many as folk think. We certainly have 11 players at least that are more than good enough to play for us.

I'd wage a lot of money on Walter Smith (to pick but one other manager)being able to take that team to 3rd if he took over now.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2010, 02:36 PM
It's more about the tactics we're playing than the players on the park. Although they are being made to look crap as a result. Yes, one or 2 actually are crap but not as many as folk think. We certainly have 11 players at least that are more than good enough to play for us.

I'd wage a lot of money on Walter Smith (to pick but one other manager)being able to take that team to 3rd if he took over now.

I will take that bet, when will we find out the answer?

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Does anyone have any actual proof that Zouma is 'faking injury' or is he just our latest scapegoat? :yawn:

Jim44
25-03-2010, 03:04 PM
For what it's worth, arch-Jambo Stuart Bathgate has a real go at Hughes and Hibs in the Scotsman this morning. His 'get rid of' list is - Makalamby ( and one other of the three 'established keepers), McCormack, Thicot, Rankin, Zemmama, Cregg, Gow and Benji.

allmodcons
25-03-2010, 03:07 PM

John Hughes has a great chance of taking us to 3rd.

Baw187
25-03-2010, 03:25 PM
John Hughes has a great chance of taking us to 3rd.

Do you believe he will?

hibsbollah
25-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Does anyone have any actual proof that Zouma is 'faking injury' or is he just our latest scapegoat? :yawn:

Of course nobody does. Its unpleasant, unsubstantiated pishflaps. What I want to know is, if someone in the squad (say Zemmama, or McCann) is fed up and wants to move on, why would they want to exaggerate injury which would make them less attractive to a potential buyer? Its nonsense.

judas
25-03-2010, 06:51 PM
In my first team:

Smith solid. My number 1 keeper
Murray consistently high performer, Mr dependable. Injuries my only concern
Wotherspoon A star in the making.

Over to you Yogi

I would add Hanlon to yout list.

I would also subtract Bamba. He is off south at the end of the season and for a transfer fee exceeding £2m. I know this and you heard it here first.

DH1875
25-03-2010, 09:49 PM
what about mark brown?

So what about Mark Brown??? Have no idea why we signed the guy in the first place.

DH1875
25-03-2010, 09:51 PM
do you believe he will?

i believe.

500miles
25-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't believe there are any poor players at Hibs these days, I honestly don't. Makalamby and Benji apart, there is no player who I really wish to move on. I do believe however that there is always the oppertunity to improve. John Rankin is a player I have a lot of time for, I think his contributions have been all too quickly forgotten, due to how low key his signing was. He's had a big hand in a couple of our wins over Celtic for example, and people only bring up his "squiggler" - usually in a derisory manner.

He's a decent wee player, plenty of energy, for the full 90 minutes -which is a rarity - he takes a good corner, he's no shirker, never suspended, never injured.

However, he's a player that, I'm sure, we could improve upon. Someone with a number of the same attriutes, but a bit of physical presence, or a more composed finisher. However, should Rankin be here next season, you'll certainly get no complaints from myself, whether he is a squad player or a first pick.

Nish and McBride also come under this header too.

Earl of Currie
26-03-2010, 05:02 AM
This is the current first team squad and what I consider to be the dead-wood/surplus to requirements or will be sold in the summer are highlighted in bold,

Smith
Flynn
Stack
Brown
Ma-Kalamby

McCann
Thicot
Hogg
Bamba
Murray
McCormack
Hanlon
Currie

Stevenson
McBride
Miller
Zemmama
Cregg
Wotherspoon
Rankin
Galbraith
Welsh

Nish
Riordan
Benji
Stokes
Gow
Byrne

Most of these are fringe players so would not have a significant impact to the squad.
For those we could sell (i.e. Bamba) ir would be better to benefit from any sale and reinvest in the squad.

Positions to look for are RB, CH, CM and Stiker.
I would prefer to have a CH & CM who could actually bully the opposition and be the leader on the park. A role which has been missing for some time. The striker would be the sort of tartget player who could hold the ball up or be able to link up with Stokes/Riordan. The sort of role Nish is trying to do , but isn't good enough to do.

scoopyboy
26-03-2010, 08:29 AM

What are you expecting here?

A signed confession or a medical certificate to that effect?

yekimevol
26-03-2010, 09:33 AM
brown
wortherspoon
bamba
murray
hanlon
miller
galbriath
riordan
stokes
benji
zemmama
byrne

scoopyboy
26-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Of course nobody does. Its unpleasant, unsubstantiated pishflaps. What I want to know is, if someone in the squad (say Zemmama, or McCann) is fed up and wants to move on, why would they want to exaggerate injury which would make them less attractive to a potential buyer? Its nonsense.

What if they already know they are moving on?

They then don't really have to prove anything.

Billychaotic182
26-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Only one person would keep Benji?

hibsbollah
26-03-2010, 07:17 PM
What if they already know they are moving on?

They then don't really have to prove anything.

I suppose for those players that have signed a pre-contract agreement with another club; yes, i agree it could make sense to 'fake injury'. However, even these players will be aware of that old chestnut about pulling out of tackles actually making it more likely to sustain injury. If every wanna-be pundit and barstool bore knows this, I suspect players do too...

It just doesnt happen.

TornadoHibby
26-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Stack is the better goalkeeper, before his injury he had the best goalkeeping record in scotland AND england! Yes he may not of had a great game on sat but I think dropping him was a huge mistake! Get stack back in goal!:thumbsup:

Calm doon Graham! :wink:

You'll get back in whenever Smithy makes his next mistake! :greengrin