PDA

View Full Version : I'm finding it hard to care

Pretty Boy
24-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I know i will get pelters from the uberfans for this but quite frankly i am finding it hard to care about Hibs at the moment.

Both last night and Saturday i just knew we were going to lose, it's happened so many times with Hibs before and unfortunately it will happen a lot more in the future. At times i wish i supported a club who were just absolutely awful, at least then you know what you're getting, but time and again Hibs threaten to do well and let you down when it really matters.

I find football in general difficult to connect with at the moment. I think when you are young and impressionable it's easy to worship football players and believe they are all good guys because they play for your team. Now in the age of 24 hour media we see the bad side of footballers on an all too frequent basis. On a more local level we hear stories of Hibs players out on the pi55 on Sunday before turning in that performance last night, all too frequently we hear stories of bother involving our players and it's not difficult to imagine that some of it must be true.

Football clubs in Scotland are charging rip off prices for an inferior product. A couple of weeks ago you could get a ticket at Camp Nou for the Barcelona v Valencia game starting at 17 euros, we are charged upwards of £22 to watch Hibs v A N other SPL team. The game in Scotland is a joke from top to bottom, the stadiums are on the most part dumps, the teams are a joke and the fact that so few of our top flight clubs even have training centres/academies is ridiculous, we are decades behind the big boys in Europe and years behind even some smaller nations.

As for Hibs we just doesn't really capture my imagination anymore. Living away from Edinburgh for nearly 6 years a trip to ER used to excite me, now i look for excuses not to go. There just seems so much more i could spend my time and hard earned cash on at the weekend that i find it hard to make Hibs 'fit' anymore. Most of my mates long ago gave up their Scottish teams to follow Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea etc etc and i was always considerded a little strange that i hadn't followed suit. I, obviously, defended my decision but lately it's becoming harder and harder to justify my loyalty to a team which gives me almost nothing. There is a huge ammount of top quality football available these days and Scottish football doesn't even come close, naturally you don't give up a pint in you local just because you have a taste of champagne but sometimes it's tempting. I want to watch players who can do the basics right, i want to watch a team where having a decent first touch is considered normal and not worthy of additional praise, i want to watch a team managed by a man who will adapt when it's needed, i want to see a team play with grit, determination and fight. Unfortunately i see none of that at Hibs and it's driving me away.

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit in with the Hibs ethos of being 'loveable losers' or if being let down all the time makes it all the better when we do win something but at the moment i'm fed up with Hibs and don't see this changing anytime soon which is shame. I'd love to think it will change but we have been here far too many times before.

hibsmum
24-03-2010, 12:44 PM
My daughters have had season tickets for a good few years. My youngest got fed up watching a few weeks ago and has now stopped going. Her answer after last night "now you know why I don't go". They need to do something before more fans feel like this.:confused:

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Personally I still enjoy the whole matchday experience too much to pack it all in, but you're entitled to feel that way. I stopped following football for a few seasons in the 80s, it just stopped being 'fun'.

I mentioned on another thread that we were playing some amazing stuff just 3 months ago, so things can change quickly in football. The quality on the park will come back.

MountcastleHibs
24-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I know i will get pelters from the uberfans for this but quite frankly i am finding it hard to care about Hibs at the moment.

Both last night and Saturday i just knew we were going to lose, it's happened so many times with Hibs before and unfortunately it will happen a lot more in the future. At times i wish i supported a club who were just absolutely awful, at least then you know what you're getting, but time and again Hibs threaten to do well and let you down when it really matters.

I find football in general difficult to connect with at the moment. I think when you are young and impressionable it's easy to worship football players and believe they are all good guys because they play for your team. Now in the age of 24 hour media we see the bad side of footballers on an all too frequent basis. On a more local level we hear stories of Hibs players out on the pi55 on Sunday before turning in that performance last night, all too frequently we hear stories of bother involving our players and it's not difficult to imagine that some of it must be true.

Football clubs in Scotland are charging rip off prices for an inferior product. A couple of weeks ago you could get a ticket at Camp Nou for the Barcelona v Valencia game starting at 17 euros, we are charged upwards of £22 to watch Hibs v A N other SPL team. The game in Scotland is a joke from top to bottom, the stadiums are on the most part dumps, the teams are a joke and the fact that so few of our top flight clubs even have training centres/academies is ridiculous, we are decades behind the big boys in Europe and years behind even some smaller nations.

As for Hibs we just doesn't really capture my imagination anymore. Living away from Edinburgh for nearly 6 years a trip to ER used to excite me, now i look for excuses not to go. There just seems so much more i could spend my time and hard earned cash on at the weekend that i find it hard to make Hibs 'fit' anymore. Most of my mates long ago gave up their Scottish teams to follow Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea etc etc and i was always considerded a little strange that i hadn't followed suit. I, obviously, defended my decision but lately it's becoming harder and harder to justify my loyalty to a team which gives me almost nothing. There is a huge ammount of top quality football available these days and Scottish football doesn't even come close, naturally you don't give up a pint in you local just because you have a taste of champagne but sometimes it's tempting. I want to watch players who can do the basics right, i want to watch a team where having a decent first touch is considered normal and not worthy of additional praise, i want to watch a team managed by a man who will adapt when it's needed, i want to see a team play with grit, determination and fight. Unfortunately i see none of that at Hibs and it's driving me away.

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit in with the Hibs ethos of being 'loveable losers' or if being let down all the time makes it all the better when we do win something but at the moment i'm fed up with Hibs and don't see this changing anytime soon which is shame. I'd love to think it will change but we have been here far too many times before.

I am with you to an extent on this one. I predicted a loss in these last two games after the first County game, and I was laughed at by some fans (not on here). Sadly the team failed to prove me wrong and have shown themselves to be a team without fight, ambition or anything else.

I was at a gig last night, and when I received word of the score I wasn't bothered. Maybe because I (unlike some of our fans) realised back in December after the humping off Rangers we weren't as good as we thought we were. Admittedly I didn't see our wheels comin off like this.

Don't get me wrong, I love and care for this football club, but I am stugglin to motivate myself when what I see on the pitch are a bunch of primadonnas who feel they only have to turn up and that's it. Mr Hughes is not exempt from blame either, he hasn't learnt from his mistakes and his arrogance has stopped him from making changes, although to me it looks like he doesn't know when or what to change.

Having said that, I would never stop going to matches. Here in the good times and in the bad. The team need our support more than ever so I will try and remotivate myself. It might be hard, but
let's hope the team can give us something to shout about.

So, no shooting down from me. I agree with some of what you say but would never walk away from the game.

Pretty Boy
24-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Personally I still enjoy the whole matchday experience too much to pack it all in, but you're entitled to feel that way. I stopped following football for a few seasons in the 80s, it just stopped being 'fun'.

I mentioned on another thread that we were playing some amazing stuff just 3 months ago, so things can change quickly in football. The quality on the park will come back.

Thats the thing though the matchday experience just isn't fun anymore. I can barely find a mate to go with as they gave up on Scottish football long ago.

I used to go with my Mum and Grandad(who has followed Hibs through thick and thin for 70 years) and although they still have season tickets they are becoming less and less frequent attenders and are seriously considering not renewing. If we were worth watching i would happily go alone or meet new faces to go to games with but the fact is we have rarely been worth it in the 20 years i have followed Hibs.

MB62
24-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I have been thinking along very similar lines to yourself.
As I have now hit the half century in age, I have seen all of this all too many times before, and expect it to happen every single season at some point.

In the past, I would have made the journey up to Dingwall, taking a 'halfie' and not even thinking twice about it. Last night, I sat watching telly and if it wasn't for the wife continually asking me if I wanted to see the latest score on ceefax, I don't think I would have bothered my backside, I expected the worse anyway. I was delighted, amazed, but delighted, to see we had gone 1-0 up. Next time I checked was after the final whistle and even gave a wee chuckle at the score, maybe it was my way of hiding a deeper disappointment, I don't why I did it.

The wife says she was expecting me to a lot more upset, moping around etc etc, she couldn't believe how I had taken the result. She kept going on about this and eventually said, 'you will never get to sleep tonight for thinking about this result eh'! Eventually I lost the heid and said 'I'll never get to sleep tonight because you keep going on about it, I really honestly couldnae care less, I expected it, now shut up!

Do I really care? Yes of course I do, but as the years progress it is affecting me less and less and every year there seems to be a little less enthusiasm and it's taking a greater effort to drag myself along on match days.
Right at this moment in time, I can't see when my next £21 donation to the cause will come as I have no desire to continually put myself through the boredom of watching this latest side.

I'm totally fed up having to put up with managers who never want to admit that what they are doing tactically is not working and something different is required, I'm the manager and I'm not listening to anyone' seems to be the cry from endless amounts of managers at ER.

After saying all that, I know I am probably just one good win away from getting it all back again, I just can't see where it's going to come from. :boo hoo:

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 01:07 PM

not a bad post but you maybe need to change your username?

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 01:14 PM
The wife says she was expecting me to a lot more upset, moping around etc etc, she couldn't believe how I had taken the result. She kept going on about this and eventually said, 'you will never get to sleep tonight for thinking about this result eh'! Eventually I lost the heid and said 'I'll never get to sleep tonight because you keep going on about it, I really honestly couldnae care less, I expected it, now shut up!

:faf:
Sorry but I found this really funny:faf:

Pretty Boy
24-03-2010, 01:18 PM
not a bad post but you maybe need to change your username?

You're probably not far wrong.

I thought i would always follow Hibs and to some extent i always will. I followed us home and away during both the play off and relegation seasons, i went all over the country in the first division even when we were horrendously bad at the start of that season. I followed us under Blobby and Sauzee, i was one of the 9000 at Hampden when we beat Rangers and had been there the year before when about 5000 watched us lose to Ayr United. I've seen us lose and struggle against so many shocking teams it's unreal but i was always naive enough to believe it would be different next week/season. It rarely is.

Now i can barely get myself interested enough to check the results and have absolutely no idea when i will next be at ER.

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 01:21 PM
You're probably not far wrong.

I thought i would always follow Hibs and to some extent i always will. I followed us home and away during both the play off and relegation seasons, i went all over the country in the first division even when we were horrendously bad at the start of that season. I followed us under Blobby and Sauzee, i was one of the 9000 at Hampden when we beat Rangers and had been there the year before when about 5000 watched us lose to Ayr United. I've seen us lose and struggle against so many shocking teams it's unreal but i was always naive enough to believe it would be different next week/season. It rarely is.

Now i can barely get myself interested enough to check the results and have absolutely no idea when i will next be at ER.

How many other people like you have lost faith in the team, and their patience has finally snapped with the club? That is a worrything thing that the club must address..............

Ritchie
24-03-2010, 01:26 PM

:confused:

i can count the number of times hibs have played well on one hand this season!

would never say we have played amazing in any game this season!!!

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 01:27 PM
:confused:

i can count the number of times hibs have played well on one hand this season!

would never say we have played amazing in any game this season!!!

Motherwell 2-0 in December was genuinely one of the best performances ive seen in years.

IWasThere2016
24-03-2010, 01:30 PM
How many other people like you have lost faith in the team, and their patience has finally snapped with the club? That is a worrything thing that the club must address..............

ONLY decent football will make things improve.

Football is too expensive - but a fall in cost will not enthuse folks to return.

It has to be better football! And it has to happen soon!

Ritchie
24-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Motherwell 2-0 in December was genuinely one of the best performances ive seen in years.

i agree it was the best performance this season.... but motherwell being completely hopeless helped us that day.

Pretty Boy
24-03-2010, 01:36 PM
ONLY decent football will make things improve.

Football is too expensive - but a fall in cost will not enthuse folks to return.

It has to be better football! And it has to happen soon!

:agree:

If any other company exploited it's customers in the way Scottish football clubs do they would have trading standards on them in a flash.

I don't expect to watch a team that wins every week, i don't expect a team that wins trophies every season. All i want is decent football on a regular basis played on decent pitches by decent players. IMO this isn't asking for much.

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 01:37 PM
i agree it was the best performance this season.... but motherwell being completely hopeless helped us that day.

Did you think? I remember thinking they were pretty decent-Hateley especially- but thats opinions for you. Anyway, my point is it wasn't long ago, it was the same 11 as now basically (except Maka and Zemmama were playing that day), and we have the capability to be a good team again.

johnrebus
24-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Dear God, I thought I felt a tear coursing its way down my cheek.

Why bother, if you 'don't care,' to write such a long post?

I would suggest you might want to catch up on yer mates and start supporting one of these 'Uber Clubs,' such as Rangers, Celtic, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona etc etc etc. Maybe then you won't be too dissapointed from time to time.

Life is just not fair is it?

:boo hoo:

Hibernia Na Eir
24-03-2010, 01:38 PM

im in agreement with you here. Wont be back at ER for a while. Tired of it. Was looking forward to new stand etc next season, but couldnt really care less now. And Hibs can keep my East Terrace seat and my tenner. Will always love Hibs, but changes are needed and doubt they'll happen anytime soon.

lucky
24-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Most of the complaints are the team just give up don't keep trying but it appears that a lot of fans also have lost their bottle when it comes to doing something for the cause. Yes we are all hurting but FFS its Hibs we follow. We all know that its more downs than ups but we keep going.

For 30 years I have been going to games home and away. I have witnessed so ***** teams and terrible performances but I have seen us win 2 cups been to Europe and England with Hibs. For me its more than results its a way of life.

Ritchie
24-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Did you think? I remember thinking they were pretty decent-Hateley especially- but thats opinions for you. Anyway, my point is it wasn't long ago, it was the same 11 as now basically (except Maka and Zemmama were playing that day), and we have the capability to be a good team again.

opinions eh!? :wink:

i do agree though, we have a squad that should easily beat the likes of ross county and should still be sitting 3rd!

thats why IMO the blame has to go to yogi.

we are to predictable now and yogi wont change it because (like mixu) he would rather play his best 11 out of position. :grr:

maximushibee
24-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I am with you to an extent on this one. I predicted a loss in these last two games after the first County game, and I was laughed at by some fans (not on here). Sadly the team failed to prove me wrong and have shown themselves to be a team without fight, ambition or anything else.

I was at a gig last night, and when I received word of the score I wasn't bothered. Maybe because I (unlike some of our fans) realised back in December after the humping off Rangers we weren't as good as we thought we were. Admittedly I didn't see our wheels comin off like this.

Don't get me wrong, I love and care for this football club, but I am stugglin to motivate myself when what I see on the pitch are a bunch of primadonnas who feel they only have to turn up and that's it. Mr Hughes is not exempt from blame either, he hasn't learnt from his mistakes and his arrogance has stopped him from making changes, although to me it looks like he doesn't know when or what to change.

Having said that, I would never stop going to matches. Here in the good times and in the bad. The team need our support more than ever so I will try and remotivate myself. It might be hard, but
let's hope the team can give us something to shout about.

So, no shooting down from me. I agree with some of what you say but would never walk away from the game.

would that be the courteeners gig? if soo i was there too and got word of the score bloody heartbreaking but thank god it was such an amazin gig

ehf
24-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Probably the best post I've ever seen on hibs.net.

I'm a season ticket holder and have seldom missed a derby at Swynecastle for over 30 years: even though we're usually disappointed, it's worth taking the gamble because being there when we do win is the apotheosis of supporting Hibs. But I didn't bother on Saturday beacuse I knew after recent displays (esp Ross Cty at ER) that there was zero chance of us winning.

I thought we might actaully sneak it lasy night, possibly after extra time and penalties, but listening to the last half hour on the radio was weird - although it was live, it was like re-listening to an old audio book - you knew, beyond doubt, exactly what was going to happen. And I was surprised how little i cared - it hurt a bit but just felt as if it couldn't be any other way, was pre-ordained.

There must be something very, very wrong at the club for it to have come to this.

dawn
24-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Just as well things are worse, a whole lot worse over the road, or I'd be a bit more:grr:

Killiehibbie
24-03-2010, 01:57 PM
For 30 years I have been going to games home and away. I have witnessed so ***** teams and terrible performances but I have seen us win 2 cups been to Europe and England with Hibs. For me its more than results its a way of life.
Being abused is a way of life for a lot of people and that's the way Hibs treat us most of the time. Show glimpses of their good side before reverting back to knocking f uck out of us.

lEXO
24-03-2010, 01:58 PM

You know what?I do care.I care that our manager doesn,t change his tactics, the players arent working hard enough and we have once again been let down by them both.If you dont want to go back fair do,s, but i,ve seen worse beleive it or not and i dare say you have to.

ahibby
24-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Apathy is setting in more and more. It hit me last season and that's why I didn't renew. Someone at the club has to have the vision and take us there, no one at the club seems to fit that bill and I fear record low ST sales for next season compared with the last six years or so.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:15 PM
foreverhibs

Irony at it's best :greengrin

I agree with a lot of what you say though.

bobbyhibs1983
24-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Most of the complaints are the team just give up don't keep trying but it appears that a lot of fans also have lost their bottle when it comes to doing something for the cause. Yes we are all hurting but FFS its Hibs we follow. We all know that its more downs than ups but we keep going.

I understand slightly what your saying but alot of fans made the trip up there last night, and those fans were let down, badly.

so if those fans who went up last night, spent time and a heck of alot of money,time and effort were to turn round and say "ok, we were there, we sang our eharts out but i felt the players didn't care, so all in all im not doing it again" sorta thing then i would think fair enough

hibiedude
24-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Very good post

I cant argue over the last couple of months going to watch Hibs has become painfull' each week you tell yourself things have to improve because they cant get worse :boo hoo:

I watch us struggle during the game thinking Yogi must make changes in the middle of the park but it never happens' the game against Hearts on Saturday when we went 2 down and Stokes was left upfront on his own still angers me.

There does come a time when you think **** that no more my ticker cant take anymore of this rubbish.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:34 PM

The thing is players move or end their careers etc for fans it is NEVER ending it just gets harder to bounce back for each set back

Phil MaGlass
24-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Good post,its exactly how I have been feeling over the last couple of seasons,except for the support a big team.I now go and watch my local team in Holland and now find less and less time to come back for Hibs games and I used to come back 4-7 times a season. Now I look for excuses not to,even the wife keeps saying, "when yi going back for a game",honestly, cannae be
er5ed giving ma hard earned cash to Hibs anymore,it was bad under Mixu,now were having to swallow much the same from another manager who wont change whats staring him in the face. The worst thing about last nite was ah was tryin to listen/read the game and just knew with the last kick of the game we were going to get pumped,I knew it, you knew it, we all f,n knew it,.Even worse, as Ive said earlier, my work even managed to get a course for me in Glasgow the week of the semi, B&B, course and flights (this morning) all paid for, I was even asked if I wanted to arrive a day earlieer for the fitba and I just couldnt get myself motivated for Hibs,I didnt even know who we were playing (Hamilton as it turned out) I just didnt care. Hibs are losing good, long term supporters,never mind Hibs Reunited it should be Hibs Unexcited.
Ah widnae bother finishing the East Stand,Hibs, it will never be full again, if you keep serving up the kind of dross you have been.You will be lucky to fill 2 stands by the end of the season.

Vince White
24-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Good post and sums up the way many fans feel I think. There's just so little to enjoy about watching Hibs or Scottish football these days that it starts to seem silly to persevere. For me there's a sense that the players don't really 'get it' any more when it comes to what fans expect and there's no real bond between them and the supporters any more. Folk say it's at times like this the team need our support, but there are 'times like this' almost every season with Hibs so clearly the support of the fans makes no real difference other than helping to pay the wages of underperforming players.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Good post and sums up the way many fans feel I think. There's just so little to enjoy about watching Hibs or Scottish football these days that it starts to seem silly to persevere. For me there's a sense that the players don't really 'get it' any more when it comes to what fans expect and there's no real bond between them and the supporters any more. Folk say it's at times like this the team need our support, but there are 'times like this' almost every season with Hibs so clearly the support of the fans makes no real difference other than helping to pay the wages of underperforming players.

cant really argue, but no doubt we will be back there again and again

Gatecrasher
24-03-2010, 05:30 PM
iv been through that FH, take it on the chin, keep going to games because you will probably regret it if you dont and you will find yourself a passionate as ever :aok:

Liam89
24-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Probably the best post I've ever seen on hibs.net.

I'm a season ticket holder and have seldom missed a derby at Swynecastle for over 30 years: even though we're usually disappointed, it's worth taking the gamble because being there when we do win is the apotheosis of supporting Hibs. But I didn't bother on Saturday beacuse I knew after recent displays (esp Ross Cty at ER) that there was zero chance of us winning.

I thought we might actaully sneak it lasy night, possibly after extra time and penalties, but listening to the last half hour on the radio was weird - although it was live, it was like re-listening to an old audio book - you knew, beyond doubt, exactly what was going to happen. And I was surprised how little i cared - it hurt a bit but just felt as if it couldn't be any other way, was pre-ordained.

There must be something very, very wrong at the club for it to have come to this.

I feel exactly the same way, had a little feeling in my heart but was over it and took all the insults well from the jambo mates.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman every day.

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman every day.

I find it harder to get out of a beanbag every day that passes:agree:

TornadoHibby
24-03-2010, 05:40 PM

But not by itself though! :cool2: